Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewmuch2_gw

Do you think a built in refrigerator is a must have?

sewmuch2
13 years ago

Hi Everyone -

I'd love your thoughts on a built in fridge vs. a cabinet depth. In my last house I had a sub zero and loved it. For our new house I was planning a 42" Kitchen Aid with panels, but I can save about $3,500 if I go with a counter depth s/s fridge instead.

I'm planning a 48" range and s/s under cabinet awning hood, so I think that serves as a nice upgrade. I like the built in fridge because of how they look, but I can use the savings to spend on some serious trim carpentry upgrades that I think would be a better value.

Thoughts?

Comments (21)

• John Liu
    13 years ago

What is the functional advantage of a built-in refrigerator?

• doonie
    13 years ago

Sewmuch, just for clarification, I think you are asking about the aesthetics of a more expensive paneled versus a stainless steel counter depth refrigerator? Is that correct?

• ncamy
    13 years ago

What is expected in your neighborhood? If you don't have a built-in fridge will it hurt the value of your house? Will you be the only house on the block to not have one? Perhaps you're not in a neighborhood where things like this matter. If that's the case, I say go for the savings.

We briefly considered a built-in for the aesthetic reasons. It would look sooo good in our open kitchen. But we would be the only house in our neighborhood to have such a thing, plus I can't really sacrifice the space (vertically or horizontally) or money for such an extravagance. The only extra space we have is for depth, so we are going to use a regular full depth refrigerator with cabinets built around it. I know, I know, the old fashioned non-counter-depth fridges are too deep and things get lost at the back, but it really is more practical for us rather than having a second fridge.

• sewmuch2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Functionally, either is fine. They are both about 22 cu. ft. so I don't gain extra space with the larger.

Doonie, you are correct, my first concern is aesthetics. Second is my concern about resale. We are building in an upscale neighborhood; I would guess that there is probably a built in fridge in half of the homes. I see lots of custom homes without a built in fridge, so thought I may get a better return on putting the savings into some extra crown molding and wainscot.

Sorry for not being more specific and thanks so much for your input!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I think there are great ways to make a fridge resemble a built-in. Less expensive initially, and less expensive to replace, if necessary. But I've never had anything like a SZ or lived in a neighborhood where that would be 'expected,' so am coming from the standpoint of 'never had it, so don't miss it.'

• cooksnsews
    13 years ago

I have a real problem imagining a neighbourhood where a built-in refrgerator is "required". Are there really subdivisions around that are so high-end, yet so cookie-cutter homogenious, that certain components, or the lack of, would render a home unsaleable?

One thing I like about daytime FoodTV cooking shows is the variety of styles in the kitchens (often the kitchens are way more interesting than the recipes, but I digress....) Those TV kitchens display much wider design variety than the magazine kitchens I've seen, and I'd descibe all of them as High End. Yet, they don't all have built-in fridges, or huge ranges, or wall ovens, or white cabinetry. But they do all have great (or at least interesting) design and functionality.

If the OP can spend the $3500 increment between a built-in and a free-standing in a more personally satisfying fashion, I say Go For It!

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

I live in a neighborhood where people dont even know what a built in fridge is :)

But we got one anyway. Because we like the look, the integrated design of it. I like the sleek fit of it into cabinetry.

So go ahead and get it but not for resale or expectations. With real estate prices not likely to rebound for years to come, do what you like without any expectation of investment or return.
    The musical chairs of buying and selling homes has slowed down tremendously. You buy, you remodel, you stay.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I think it's more important to be really sure you'd be satisfied with a KA after having an SZ. There really is a difference (in the use, ignoring the looks). If you can't tell the difference, save the money.

Yes, there are some neighborhoods where lack of SubZero will be a bit of a disappointment, like lack of a separate shower, but that's not a good reason to put one in if you don't want it. It's easy enough to put one in later. A good carpenter can match the panels. The offer might be a little lower, but no one is going to pass on the right house because of a fridge.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

No I don't think a built-in refrigerator is a must-have.

• asheavenue
    13 years ago

Certainly not. No high end appliance is a must have. However, some people value certain functionality more than others, and are willing to pay it. For instance, I bought a 48" Bluestar for the high BTU burners and the commercial capacity oven. Without a doubt, I can sear food more effectively and faster, and can accommodate sheet pans from my restaurant-- these are facts, and I valued these functions enough to pay extra for them. However, when it came to a fridge, I could not justify spending the extra money on a Sub-Zero or the like when I could not see any objective reason why it would function better in my kitchen than a "regular" fridge. Yes, they look way cooler. However, economically (but more philosophically) I have to draw a line when it comes to paying more for something solely for the image it conveys. My Kenmore works like gangbusters when it comes to keeping my food at 38 degrees. What more could I possibly want? Perhaps expensive refrigerators perform tasks I am not aware of, and I apologize if I'm betraying ignorance on this matter.

• limom_2bts
    13 years ago

I find it funny (as in perculiar not ha-ha) that people feel they need to "hide" their refrigerator. After all, wouldn't one expect a kitchen to come with a fridge? Why not hide the stove and DW also?
    I didn't even get a counter-depth in my budget re-do due to funds and space and my belief that most people would not consider a refrigerator to be abnormal in a kitchen setting! And it doesn't bother me at all that you can "see" it when you walk into the room!
    So I would say get a CD and use the huge $$ difference for some other upgrades that you would otherwise need to skip!

• davidro1
    13 years ago

sewmuch2 it has a lot to do with sight lines. The answer to your core question depends on sight lines. Sometimes seeing the fridge is really OK, and there are times it's a good use of your money to hide it.

I find your first post to be incomplete in other ways too.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

I don't think paneled doors are a "must." I feel those are lovely but strictly optional and depend on the whole style of the kitchen. I did panel our dishwasher and it's great so I understand the desire.

Also, I think brand, quiet operation and fridge style (French door vs side-by-side vs bottom mount vs all-fridge/all-freezer) is more important than panels.

Where I live, the kitchen can sell the place and we're in one of those pockets where the home prices have been remarkably stable. Appliance brands -- overall -- are a factor here. No one cares if it's paneled but a SubZero is a selling point as is a Wolf range. European brands are the second choice. That aspect completely depends on market and location.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

There are certainly reasons why you may want to hide a refrigerator, and sightlines are a big part of it. Although this does not sound like the case of the original post, not everyone has a dedicated, separate kitchen anymore. Many urban houses are open plan, and not very large. If the house is small and rooms serve multiple functions, you may want some of the functions to be discreet. I usually try to use conventional appliances placed with the best sightlines in mind: sometimes its not enough. Technically, my refrigerator is in my living room. I certainly wanted to hide it. Is it a must? Not in many cases, but to make is a generalization that it always peculiar is rather narrow minded.

• sewmuch2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your input.

To provide some additional insights - I had and loved my Sub Zero in my old home. I can get an incredible price on the KA, so that was why I chose that model over a SZ. I am a worried I wouldn't love the KA as much as I did the SZ, so that is part of why I am considering saving the $.

I paneled my SZ in my last home because I dislike cleaning the stainless, and that is why I planned to panel the KA in the new house. That is one of the reasons why I love the built in fridge. I'll buy a counter depth KA instead, so I lose the panels, but the savings will help me deal iwth the cleaning!

This is our 5th new build and we have built several high end homes for clients as well in past few years. I'm confident about the design choice, etc. The fridge is not in a prime location; it is in the corner by the hallway to our garage; another reason why i am considering saving the $. I wanted input because I find I can make clear decisions for everyone but myself sometimes!

Davidro - not sure what was insufficient in my prior posts, perhaps you could clarify?

Thanks again everyone for your help!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

If you like the integrated look, but buy a counter depth, would you consider pulling your base cabs out a few inches and gaining more counter space? That would make it look more built in and still save you the money....

• davidro1
    13 years ago

All we know is three things: "... I'm planning a 48" range and s/s under cabinet awning hood, so I think that serves as a nice upgrade." and "... 42" Kitchen Aid with panels, but I can save about $3,500 if I go with a counter depth s/s fridge instead." Nothing about the kitchen itself. Then we find out you already chose the fridge. (i.e. bought it). And that it is to go in a corner near a hallway.

sewmuch2, a deal is most often not a deal. The reason you can get a KA for a low price is because that's all it's worth. Hunt more and you'll get another model of KA also for a low price. You've told incomplete information about the pricing too.

good luck!

• sewmuch2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm sorry Davidro1, I didn't realize some much detailed information is needed; I was hoping for some general thoughts to help me think it through. I haven't bought any appliances yet; my new home is just beginning mechanicals. If I had, I wouldn't need the input.

Not sure why my post inspired so much criticism, but regardless I appreciate your thoughts. Your first post about sight lines was insightful.

Thank you to everyone for your help. I'll try to share a scan of the cabinet design later this week.

• sewmuch2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dianalo - I like your idea about pulling out the base cabinets; then I wouldn't necessarily have to have the counter depth version and would have more fridge space. I'll talk to my kitchen designer to see if it it will work.

It may be too tight since the fridge is close to the back hallway, but worth looking at. Thanks!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Glad to help, sew. I was hoping to do that with mine and it seems doable. I was waiting until tomorrow to discuss it with the gc, but some helpful people here already gave me some tips and food for thought ;)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert