Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Cookalong #11 ------ EGGS

wizardnm
14 years ago

Our next *Star* ingrdient is .....EGGS!

Annie chose eggs because she has chickens and they are producing! Dang, I wish I lived closer to her. There's nothing better than organic free range eggs.

Anyone have a egg recipe? :)

Here's the link for the last cookalong...

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong # 10 ---- Onions

Comments (55)

• chase_gw
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My all time favourite dessert!

Cre Carmel

1 Qt milk
    2 vanilla beans split lengthwise or 3 tsp pure vanilla extract (not the artificial stuff!))
    2 Cups sugar (divided into ½ cup
    1 ½ cups)
    3 Tbl water 1 Drop
    lemon juice or white vinegar
    8 large eggs
    4 egg yolks
    pinch salt

In large saucepan , over low heat, scald the milk with the vanilla beans or the extract.

Remove from the heat and let steep 30 minutes. Then remove beans and discard.

Caramelize an 8 cup round baking dish. Place ½ cup of sugar, water and vinegar or lemon juice in a small sauce pan and cook over high heat until golden.

NOTE : Remove from heat as soon as it starts to turn golden. It can burn very quickly.

Carefully pour the caramel into the baking dish, tipping the dish to ensure the bottom is all covered. Let the caramel harden.

Preheat your oven to 300.

Place the eggs, yolks , 1 ½ cups sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk together until the mixture is pale yellow and thickens (I use my KA~ mixer). Strain the cooled milk mixture into the egg mixture and stir to blend. NOTE: Sometimes I strain the custard trough cheesecloth if I think
    there are any solid bits. You want it silky smooth.

Pour this custard mixture into the caramelized baking dish.
    Place the baking dish in a larger dish and pour boiling water half way up the outside of the baking dish. Bake 1 ½ to 2 hours or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Let cool and then refrigerate until ready to serve. To serve run a knife around the edge and invert onto a deep plate. The caramel will run out and fill the dish.

Note: I often make these in individual ramekins. Just adjust the cooking time.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lou, I already have 14 chickens that I started when they were tiny, I don't want any more chicks. Plus you have to cook too many to get a decent meal when they're that size.

Annie

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

When looking through old cook books, I'm always surprised to see how much more often eggs were used in main dishes than they are now - spinach rings filled with creamed hard boiled eggs, omelette rolls with ham and mushroom filling, vegetable custards, scalloped eggs, and so many other "lost" egg dishes. During the course of this thread, I'll try to post some vintage recipes.

One of my family's favorite rediscovered egg recipes is for timbales, which I've made with spinach, broccoli, chard and other vegetables. The method's the same - just try to get as much moisture out of the vegetables as you can.

SPINACH TIMBALES

2 (10 oz.) packages frozen chopped spinach
    4 eggs
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    1/4 tsp. dried tarragon or other dried or chopped fresh herbs
    Cheese or hollandaise sauce, if desired

Cook spinach according to package directions; drain thoroughly. In small mixer bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Stir in cooked spinach and remaining ingredients except sauce. Divide mixture between 5 greased 6 oz. custard cups.

Place cups on a rack in a 10" pot or deep skillet. Fill skillet with hot (not boiling) water to 1/2". Put a loose piece of foil over the cups, shaped so that the steam drips back into the pot instead of on the custard cups. Cover with lid and cook over medium heat for 18 to 22 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen edges with knife; unmold. If desired, serve with sauce. Makes 5 (1/2 cup) servings.

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Ooh, Annie, I'm doing my best to ignore that last remark! (I know, you were joking.)

I'm sitting here eating some fried pasture raised organic eggs and some home baked bread I toasted in the cast iron skillet along side the eggs. What could be a better breakfast than that!

Here's a recipe for baked eggs by Ina Garten that I've made and enjoyed.

Herbed-Baked Eggs
    Copyright, 2004, Barefoot in Paris, All Rights Reserved
    Prep Time: 3 min
    Cook Time: 9 min
    Level: Easy
    Serves: 2 servings

Ingredients
    1/4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
    1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
    1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
    6 extra-large eggs
    2 tablespoons heavy cream
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Toasted French bread or brioche, for serving
    Directions
    Preheat the broiler for 5 minutes and place the oven rack 6 inches below the heat.
    Combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and Parmesan and set aside. Carefully crack 3 eggs into each of 2 small bowls or teacups (you won't be baking them in these) without breaking the yolks. (It's very important to have all the eggs ready to go before you start cooking.)
    Place 2 individual gratin dishes on a baking sheet. Place 1 tablespoon of cream and 1/2 tablespoon of butter in each dish and place under the broiler for about 3 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Quickly, but carefully, pour 3 eggs into each gratin dish and sprinkle evenly with the herb mixture, then sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Place back under the broiler for 5 to 6 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are almost cooked. (Rotate the baking sheet once if they aren't cooking evenly.) The eggs will continue to cook after you take them out of the oven. Allow to set for 60 seconds and serve hot with toasted bread.
    Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Tue Jun 09 2009

© 2009 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Sally

Here is a link that might be useful: Ina Garten's Herbed Baked Eggs

• pat_t
    14 years ago

I think someone else posted this here before, but just wanted to re-post it. It is GREAT!

GOAT CHEESE, ARTICHOKE, AND SMOKED HAM STRATA

2 cups whole milk
    1/4 cup olive oil
    8 cups (1-inch cubes) sourdough bread, crusts trimmed
    1-1/2 cups whipping cream
    5 large eggs
    1 Tblsp. chopped garlic
    1-1/2 tsp. salt
    3/4 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
    12 oz. soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), crumbled (about 3 cups)
    2 Tblsp. chopped fresh sage
    1 Tblsp. chopped fresh thyme
    1-1/2 tsp. herbes de Provence
    12 oz. smoked ham, chopped
    3 (6 1/2-oz.) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained, halved lengthwise (about 2-1/2 cups)
    1 cup (packed) grated Fontina cheese
    1 1/2 cups (packed) grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Whisk milk and oil in large bowl. Stir in bread. Let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.

Whisk cream and next 5 ingredients in another large bowl to blend. Add goat cheese. Mix herbs in small bowl to blend.

Place half of bread mixture in prepared dish. Top with half of ham, artichoke hearts, herbs, and cheeses. Pour half of cream mixture over. Repeat layering with remaining bread, ham, artichoke hearts, herbs, cheeses, and cream mixture. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.)

Bake uncovered until firm in center and brown around edges, about 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.

From Bon Appétit, December 1997.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Made 100's of these , helping a friend, in a West Philly Pizzeria.
    LOU

PEPPERONI and EGGS Sandwich.

{{gwi:1527298}}

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Here is another Favorite,
    Eggs Poached in Spaghetti Sauce, need Bread for Dippin.
    Lou

{{gwi:1523419}}

ANOTHER VERSION, " SHAKSHOKA "

Made with Mushrooms , Bacon pieces, Green Roasted Peppers, Or anything you like.

{{gwi:1527299}}

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Shaksouka - one of my faves!! Sauté sliced onions, bell peppers, hot peppers (such as jalepeños) and tomatoes (fresh or canned). Crack a few eggs on top. Cook till set. Wonderful!

Lou your picture of eggs in spag sauce reminded me of the fried-egg-on-top method. For example, at my fave tex mex spot, Chuy's, you can order chicken enchiladas with a fried egg on top. I LOVE that. Some people top their pizzas with fried eggs (did I read about that here on some thread or someplace else?); fried egg on burgers, etc.

I'm a purist when it comes to egg salad. I like the eggs smashed, add a little mayo, and that's it. No extras! Deviled eggs, though, I'll eat plain or with almost any kind of mix in or topping. I like deviled eggs topped with a bit of caviar, you know, egg on egg.

It looks like Lou thinks like me. I can combine just about anything (whatever's in the fridge) with scrambled eggs and make a meal out of it. My mother used to make scrambled eggs with cottage cheese mixed in. Ya! It's good!

May's Frittata
    Over medium heat, line bottom of oven-safe skillet with one layer of tater tots or hash browns. (You can do freshly made hash browns, even better, but when I'm trying to get out of the kitchen fast after a long day at work, I use frozen and it comes out great.) Top that with one or two thawed 10oz packages of frozen spinach, or a bunch of sautéed till wilted fresh spinach. Top with about a dozen beaten eggs. Top with grated cheese -- cheddar or romano or whatever kind you like. Cover and bake at 350 for about 40 min, till eggs are set. Serve with salad and ciabatta bread.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Lowspark:
    You are right !!!
    At times I make an Omelet with everything,Potatoes, Pepperoni, Roasted Peppers, Provolone,
    Spinach, Chopped Sausage, etc.
    ( Hold the Jalepenos )Whooee!!!
    When you don't feel like a big meal. It's a quickie !
    - - - - - - - - - -

Here is a Spinach Omelet:

{{gwi:1527300}}

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Eggs are a very good choice Annie!

I guess I can't pass up a list of egg dishes without adding one of the most popular from here, the Spanish Omelette.

La Tortilla Española is served as a tapa cut into squares or wedges, or as part of a main dish meal, served in larger wedges:

SPANISH TORTILLA (Potato & Onion Omelette)

Ingredients for 4 servings:

3 medium potatoes
    3 large eggs
    1 onion
    salt 1/2 teasp & pepper to taste
    olive oil
    Italian parsley, chopped (optional)

I use a 7-inch non-stick pan as it's easy to fill, making a nice high and rounded tortilla which is easy to flip over.

1. Slice potatoes lengthwise once, then slice both pieces thinly into half moons. Chop onions into 1/4 rings.

2. Coat the bottom of the pan with oil and when hot add potatoes. Keep turning so they do not burn or go brown.
    When golden, remove from pan and set aside in large bowl.

NOTE: Some folks prefer to gently boil or steam the potatoes for 5 - 10 minutes rather than fry them. I've seen it done both ways and I also like to do this.

3. Put chopped onion in pan, if necessary add a little more oil and sauté until soft, without being dark brown. Remove from pan and add to potatoes in bowl.

4. Beat the eggs in a small bowl, add salt & pepper and chopped parsley, and pour over potato & onion mixture in bowl. Turn gently to coat all.

5. Add 2 TBS oil to pan and when hot, pour in the egg, potato and onion mixture. Run the edge of a sharp knife or spatula around the rim of the pan while the egg is
    setting to loosen the edges. I also poke it several times in the middle to let some of the runny egg seep down to the pan. Don't let it get too dark or burn.

6. When the edges are set and the middle is still half runny hold a plate over the top and flip pan and all over on to the plate and gently slide it back into the pan.
    Don't overcook as the centre should still be juicy.

7. Let cook a minute or two more on that side, then slide it out onto a plate.

8. Cut into wedges as a luncheon dish, or into small squares with toothpicks to be served on a buffet or as a tapa. Or keep it whole to take on a picnic.

The edges should be fat and firmly rounded. If you've never tried making one before, start with a small non-stick pan and when you're an expert move up to a larger pan.
    A small 7 inch pan will make a nice luncheon omelette for two.

Finished Tortilla

A whole tortilla makes a great picnic food. It's easy to make, light to carry and it holds up well in hot weather.
    (Wrap it in foil and take it in a pizza box.)

SharonCb

• lindac
    14 years ago

How about a quiche or 2??
    My basic quiche recipe:
    crust for one 9 inch pastry
    (1/4 pound butter, 1 1/4 cups AP flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 4 to 5 T ice water....enough to hold together...
    Chill and roll out)
    Fill the un baked shell with goodies, add egg milk mix, 1 egg beaten to 1/2 cup milk or cream to fill, and bake.
    Now comes the fun....the fillings!
    You can use mostly cheese with a little cooked crumbled bacon ( 2 1/2 cups grated cheese....not the bagged stuff, grate it yourself!)
    You can add steamed and drained asparagus spears....and cheese....ro you can add cooked shrimp and canned crab....and cheese, small strips of cooked chicken and bits of sundried tomatoes and roasted red peppers......and cheese..
    You can sautee mushrooms to cook off a lot of the moisture and add them to the crust....add Sherry wine to the egg mix and use Swiss cheese with the milk egg mix....you can use canned artichoke hearts....with cheese and the egg mix.
    It's only limited by your imagination!
    Then, of course, bake your creation at 375 for about 45 minutes, until a table knife inserted about 2 inches from the center comes out clean.
    I wish I had a quiche for dinner....I made potato soup ( who makes potato soup in June?) for a friend who is under the weather. She had a yen for some and I made a pot.....and some cheesy rolls...
    But I wish I had baked that can of crab into a quiche!!
    Linda C

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

Here's a classic appetizer that also makes a great brunch dish:

Chile Relleno
    8 - 12 servings

3 7-oz cans green chiles, not sliced
    3/4-1 lb Cheddar cheese
    3/4-1 lb Monterey Jack cheese
    4 eggs
    1 lg can evaporated milk
    3 Tbsp flour
    Chili salsa

Remove seeds from chiles, and flatten half of them in bottom of 2 1/2 qt casserole or 7x11 baking dish.
    Cover chiles with thick slices of Cheddar.
    Layer rest of chiles on Cheddar and cover with thick slices of Monterey Jack.
    Separate eggs & beat yolks.
    Add to yolks: evaporated milk and flour, and salt and pepper to taste.
    Beat egg whites to peaks; fold into yolk mixture.
    Pour egg mixture over cheese and chile mixture.
    Cover and bake at 325 degrees for one hour.
    Serve with chili salsa.

The second recipe is a wonderful brunch item that is rather a variation of Eggs Benedict.

Bouchees a la Marie Antoinette
    6 servings

1 10-oz pkg pastry shells (bouchees)
    1/4 c. butter
    1/4 c. flour
    1 c. dry white wine
    1 c. whipping cream
    2 c. grated Bonbel or Port Salut cheese
    2 c. finely diced smoked ham
    salt, pepper
    6 poached eggs*
    dill sprigs, optional

Prepare patty shells according to package directions. Place shells on serving platter.
    In saucepan melt butter and stir in flour. Gradually stir in wine and whipping cream. Stir over low heat until sauce bubbles and thickens.
    Stir in cheese, a little at a time, until sauce is smooth.
    Stir in ham and salt and pepper to taste.
    Place a poached egg on top of each patty shell.
    Spoon hot sauce over egg.
    Garnish with dill sprig if wished.

* Poach eggs in gently simmering water, milk or cream 3 to 5 minutes.
    To store eggs for later use - but not more than 24 hours - put the poached eggs in a bowl of ice-cold water in the refrigerator. Remove from the water and let drain about 30 minutes before serving. The heat from the sauce, platter and patty shells will warm up the eggs.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Here's a series of three recipes I posted many years ago here. I don't remember if I tried them but I'm sure it was for around Christmas time!

Posted by: Canarybird (My Page) on Mon, Nov 24, 03 at 12:32

Here are some recipes for eggnog:

BASIC EGGNOG - FOR 10 - 12 persons
    6 fresh eggs
    6 TBS sugar
    1 pint milk (2 cups)
    1/2 bottle whisky
    1/2 pint dark rum (1 cup)
    1 pint thick cream (2 cups)
    3TBS peach brandy
    grated nutmeg
    1. Separate the eggs, putting the whites into a large bowl.
    2. Beat the egg yolks until smooth adding sugar and 1/2 pint milk at the same time.
    3. Pour this mixture into a punch bowl.
    4. Add the whisky, mixing well, then add rum.
    5. Set this aside and whip the egg whites until they are stiff.
    6. Add the remaining milk, cream and peach brandy to the punch bowl.
    7. Stir this together and fold in the egg white.
    8. Sprinkle the grated nutmeg on top and serve.

SWEET EGG NOG - for 12 - 14 persons
    6 eggs
    8 TBS sugar
    1/2 bottle whisky
    1/2 pint rum (1 cup)
    1/2 pint brandy (1 cup)
    2 pints milk (1 quart)
    2 pints thick cream (1 quart)
    1/2 teasp ground cloves
    1/2 teasp ground nutmeg
    1. Separate the eggs, putting the whites into a mixing bowl and the yolks into the punch bowl.
    2. Beat the egg yolks until smooth, adding 4 TBS sugar at the same time.
    3. Still stirring, gradually add the whisky, rum and brandy.
    4. Set this mixture aside and whip the egg whites until stiff adding the remaining sugar.
    5. Then stir the milk and cream into the mixture in the punch bowl.
    6. Fold in stiff egg whites.
    7. Sprinkle with the cloves and nutmeg and serve.

FROZEN EGG NOG - for 8 - 10 persons
    2 pints thick cream (1 quart)
    6 egg yolks
    8 TBS sugar
    1/2 bottle rum
    1/2 bottle brandy
    1 teasp grated nutmeg
    1. Whip the cream until stiff and store in the refrigerator.
    2. Beat the egg yolks until smooth, adding the sugar at the same time.
    3. Combine with the whipped cream.
    4. Store in the refrigerator until firm.
    5. Add the rum and brandy to the frozen mixture.
    6. Sprinkle with nutmeg and serve.

Source: Cocktails and Mixed Drinks
    Felix Brenner - Hamlyn 1964

SharonCb

• caliloo
    14 years ago

One of my absolute favorite brunch items is from a long gone restaurant in Ogunquit where I spent a lot of fun Sunday mornings. Nothing like reading the Sunday paper, sipping a mimosa and having someone make the following for you and serve it too! Of course, it is very simple to make at home so I am including the basic directions.

Mellow Muffins:

For each person:

Toast and split an English muffin. Top it with a generous portion of crab meat that has been gently warmed in a little butter. Place a couple of steamed asparagus spears on the crab, then a poached egg on the asparagus. Nap with Hollandaise, sprinkle a tiny bit of chopped parsley or paprika.

Serve with golden hash browns.

Oooooohhhhhh - I am thinking I am going to have to make these VERY soon!

Alexa

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Hollandaise, just give me a spoon and I'm happy. I like it on asparagus, broccoli and one my favorites....eggs benedict.

Here is a link to an easy recipe from cooking live with Sara and Julia.

David

Here is a link that might be useful: Blender Hollandaise

• craftyrn
    14 years ago

my favorite ways to eat an egg is: just plain soft boiled-- with good sturdy toast to dip into it or creamed hardboiled eggs on toast'

Can't join you for the cooking for that night but here's a T & T that gets raves:
    Brandy Creme Burlee Bars

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Cookies--Special Bars

Brandy Crème Brûlée Bars
    ========================
    1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    5 egg yolks
    1/4 cup sugar
    1-1/4 cups whipping (heavy) cream
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon brandy or 1 1/2 teaspoon brandy extract
    1/3 cup sugar
    . 1. Heat oven to 350ºF. In medium bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar and the
    butter with spoon. Press on bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of ungreased
    square pan, 9x9x2 inches. Bake 20 minutes. 2. Reduce oven temperature
    to 300ºF. In small bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar with spoon
    until thick. Gradually stir in whipping cream and brandy. Pour over
    baked layer. 3. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until custard is set and knife
    inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour. For
    bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows. Place bars on cookie sheet lined with
    waxed paper. 4. In heavy 1-quart saucepan, heat 1/3 cup sugar over
    medium heat until sugar begins to melt. Stir until sugar is completely
    dissolved and caramel colored. Cool slightly until caramel has
    thickened slightly. Drizzle hot caramel over bars. (If caramel begins
    to harden, return to medium heat and stir until thin enough to
    drizzle.) After caramel on bars has hardened, cover and refrigerate
    bars up to 48 hours.

from Betty Crocker

• hawk307
    14 years ago

SharonCb:
    No drinking on the CF !!!
    Can you save me some ???
    LOU

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

This is a good time of year to make fruit custard pies.

FRUIT CUSTARD PIE

4 large peeled peaches or 2 cups raspberries, blackberries or cherries
    9 inch pastry shell, unbaked
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    Pinch of salt
    1 cup whole milk
    1 Tbs. Butter
    Ground cinnamon or nutmeg

Bake pastry shell for 5 minutes at 450 degrees. Separate one egg; slightly beat egg white. Brush pie shell with a thin coating of egg white. Slice peeled peaches into bottom of pastry shell, or spread cherries or berries over bottom. Beat eggs, sugar, and salt thoroughly, including the reserved egg yolk and the remainder of the egg white from the pie shell wash. Add milk, mix, and pour over fruit. Dot with bits of butter and sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg.

Bake 10 minutes at 425 degrees then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 30 minutes longer or until set. Cool to room temperature; then refrigerate. Serve chilled.

• woodie
    14 years ago

Gosh, I just love eggs any which way! Here is one favorite from Mariyn -

English Crown Scramble

2 tablespoons butter, divided
    1 tablespoon flour
    3/4 cup whole milk
    Salt and fresh ground pepper
    1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    6 frozen puff pastry shells (Pepperidge Farm)
    6 eggs
    3 tablespoons whole milk or cream
    chopped parsley to garnish

6 ounces smoked salmon (optional)

Pre-heat the oven to 400°.
    Make the cheese sauce:
    Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small skillet over medium heat until melted. Stir in flour until bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Season cream sauce with salt and pepper. Lower heat and stir in cheeses. Cover and keep warm. *If desired, omit cheese.

Or -

MORNAY SAUCE
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 cups whole milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan

Place frozen pastry shells on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving at least 1-inch between each one.
    Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until golden, tall and flaky. Remove from oven and place on serving plate.

Prepare scrambled eggs by melting 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Whisk eggs and cream together with salt and pepper until well combined; pour into skillet and as eggs cook, push a rubber spatula under them until they are almost dry but still moist.
    *If desired, stir in smoked salmon at this time. (Eggs continue to cook after removing from heat.)

Assemble:
    Remove tops from pastry shells and hollow them out. Fill each one with scrambled eggs and pour sauce over top. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with smoked salmon on the side.
    (If desired, place top from pastry shells on top of each, angled off-center.)
    Marilyn

I brought this thread back to tell anyone who is interested that I made this for my Father's Day brunch and it was perfect for a croud. (I made a double recipe.) I baked the puff pastry early, about 2 hours before I needed them and just left them on a rack on the counter until ready so they would stay crispy on the outside.
    I made the cheese sauce with much less cheese because I wanted more of a cream sauce instead of a cheese sauce.
    I scrambled the eggs at the last minute and put into the hollowed out shells (which kept the eggs hot). I poured the warm sauce over them and placed the tops from the pastries back on top of each one angled off center...very pretty!
    These were wonderful served with smoked salmon. Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon are a match made in heaven! I buy hot smoked salmon at Trader Joe's, Alaskan King.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Annie:
    How many Chicks do you think are needed for a meal?
    Do they taste like Chicken? Don't answer that !!!
    Man, we would be in deep trouble !!!

I get eggs from a friend ( I have a few ) they are already colored for Easter.
    All sizes too, fresh from the farm.
    LOU

How about if we make plain ole Eggs,Sausage, and Potatoes?
    I think that's an everyday favorite ?

{{gwi:1523455}}

• Rusty
    14 years ago

Lou, if we didn't live so far apart, I'd swear you get your eggs from the same friend (yes, I have a few, too!) I get mine from. They look exactly like that! And there are no better, anywhere, for freshness & flavor.
    And as far as plain ol' eggs, sausage, & potatoes goes, here's another spin on them.

Brown 1 lb of breakfast sausage in a pan, seperating as it cooks. When there is some grease from it in the pan, (if you use a very lean brand, you may have to add a shake or two of some kind of oil) Add 3 or 4 scrubbed & diced red potatoes. (Leave the skin on)
    While this is cooking, scramble from 3 to 6 eggs in a bowl with a can (or part of a can) of diced tomatoes for the liquid.
    When potatoes are tender, and lightly browned, pour egg mixture over it all, & stir as the egg mixture cooks. Cook until eggs are done.
    A colorful, easy, fairly quick, and not-too-heavy, one dish meal, good for breakfast, lunch or supper, depending on what you put with it. Tossed green salad, biscuits, whatever. . . .

Rusty

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Rusty:
    I think you do live close by.
    Have you been watching me ,cooking eggs ???

Annie : What color are your eggs ?

Lou

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Geez Lou! I just finished lunch and you're making me hungry!

Photos are great. Love the "poached in spaghetti sauce" idea.

I've got chickens too (brown eggs, BTW, couldn't find any Auraconas this year), so I'm looking forward to pasting lots of recipes! There's 4+ dozen eggs in my fridge right now.

I make my own McMuffins with lots of mine. Wrap and freeze for grab 'n' go lunch or breakfasts.

Here are my newest "babies" on April 30th.

Future Egg Layers of America! You GO Girls!

Deanna

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Denna:
    I do eggs like that a lot.
    Just put about 5 tablespoons of Sauce ( not too thick )
    in a Skillet and heat.

Put the eggs in and put a lid; just the size to cover, over them and let them cook.
    They are sort of Poached , Steamed.

Lou

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Lou, you have a way with eggs! I sure wish I did. I try. I've been trying with the poached eggs. One of my favorites is heuvos rancheros. Make a spicy tomato sauce, serve over either cornbread, tortillas, or tortilla chips, topped with an egge either fried or poached in the sauce, and then top this with some grated sharp cheddar or other Mexican style cheeses, zipped under the broiler just until the cheese melts. Serve with refried beans on the side, and sauteed peppers, onions and potatoes if you want. I suppose you meat eaters will want some kind of meat.

I also followed a hint from Orangette's blog and served a poached egg over braised cabbage--pretty simple and pretty good.

I also like to make egg foo yung with leftover fried rice and/or stir fried vegetables.

My other favorite use for eggs is in very eggy potato salad.

Something new for me which I may try this weekend is coddled eggs. I don't have an egg coddler but I might be able to make something similar with my ramekins and a boiling water bath. I swear I have a recipe somewhere.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Pinky:
    Try an egg in a cup with a tablespoon of water.
    Put it in the Micro Wave for about 18 seconds.
    More if needed.

I did it but don't know what it is supposed to look like.
    Don't use them Coddled. May have been too much Micro.
    But it was good. Give it a try.
    Lou

• annie1992
    14 years ago

OMG, where to start? Diane's Creme Brulee Bars look delicious and so does Chase's Creme Carmel and Ruthanna's Timbales and Sally's baked eggs. Elery would love the Rellenos too. I poach eggs and fry eggs and scramble eggs regularly, but these are some all new ideas!

Lou, my ladies lay brown eggs. They look like this:

Eggs like this, at least a dozen a day!

{{gwi:1527308}}

So, when I get tired of omelettes and egg sandwiches, I still have eggs to use and I get into a rut, so I'm always looking for something new.

Annie

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

LindaC's cheesecake uses a few too! Very, very good!

Crustless quiche is one of our favorites and uses up all the leftover "stuff" in the fridge! Bits of veggies, meat and cheese dumped in a greased pie pan, then the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, maybe a little flour, whisked together and poured over the top. Bake till 'done'...time varies depending on ingredients (can ya tell I rarely use a recipe??? LOL)!

Plain ol' hard boiled and a few veggies makes lunch for me.

Back to thinking...........

Deanna

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Annie, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you had laid aluminum foil out for your hens. Then I looked closer and realized that's icy or snowy ground! Duh! I think it's time for a new pair of glasses. lol.

I'm having a hard time making my mind up about what to try, too. So many of these recipes look so good! Don the egg man, the farmer I get my eggs from, brought me 2 dozen eggs yesterday, so I'm all set. I just have to decide.

Sally

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

Vegetable & Cheese Frittata

8 eggs
    2 t lemon juice (preferably Meyer)& 1 t zest (optional)
    Chopped fresh herbs (For mild, leafy herbs, 1 T or more but if you use rosemary, use significantly less, as it's so strong)
    4 oz of cheese(s)grated or crumbled
    2 green onions, chopped (or 1/3 c caramelized red onions)
    Minced garlic (I like garlic, so I use 4 or 5 cloves, but if cooking for folks whose tolerance I'm unsure of, I use 2)
    Salt & pepper
    olive oil
    A mixture of vegetables-your choice, 1 to 1 1/2 c, after precooking.
    1/2 c Balsamic vinegar, simmered until reduced by half.

Preheat the oven to 325.

Prepare your vegetables. Most veggies will need to be at least partially precooked, both to reduce water content and to ensure tenderness, so saute them in olive oil with the garlic and some salt & pepper. Roasted red bell peppers is one of my favorites for this dish, with sauteed mushrooms or greens of some kind. Asparagus is wonderful with some oil-packed sun dried tomatoes (saute the asparagus in some of the tomato oil...yum!). Eggplant works well also, I usually brush it with oil and cook it on the grill, as it absorbs too much when sauteed...I like the eggplant coupled with the tender tips & leaves of celery hearts.

As for the cheese, I like to use a combination, but it isn't necessary. I like blue with mozzarella or jack, or feta with Parmesan, but sharp cheddar is good as well.

Mix all the ingredients except for the eggs & Balsamic in a bowl and mix well.

Whip the eggs with a whisk until good and foamy, then pour over the other ingredients.

In a 9 inch frypan with an oven proof handle, heat one T of olive oil very hot but not smoking. Turn the pan to coat it with oil, and then pour in the egg mixture. The pan should be hot enough to sear the bottom of the eggs, but then immediately move it to a low heat. Cook for a couple of minutes, until the sides begin to set up, and then finish in the oven for about 20 minutes. The frittata should be firm and turning gold on top, not brown.

Use a heat proof rubber spatula to loosen the frittata in the pan, and when it is free, put a plate over it and turn over, so that the bottom of the eggs are facing up.

Brush the frittata with the reduced balsamic just before serving.

And here is a recipe I tried from Williams Sonoma's, "Savoring India" that was unusual and very tasty.

Anda Masala (Eggs braised in fragrant gravy)

4 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
    1 T vegetable oil
    1 t cumin seeds
    1 yellow onion, finely chopped
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 t ground coriander
    1/2 t red pepper flakes
    1/2 t ground turmeric
    2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    3/4 t salt, or to taste
    1 large tomato, pureed
    1 1/4 c water
    2 T fresh cilantro, chopped.

Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the cumin and cook until it darkens and is fragrant. Add the onion and cinnamon and cook until the onion begins to brown a bit. Add coriander, red pepper flakes, turmeric, garlic and salt. Saute for about 2 minutes, then add the tomato and cook just until the tomato loses it's raw aroma, about 5 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes.

Cut each egg in half, and slide them gently into the sauce, cut side up to heat through. You don't want the egg yolks to dissolve into the sauce.

When the eggs are hot, sprinkle them with the cilantro and serve.

This makes for a very nice luncheon dish, over rice or with good, soft flatbread of some kind with which to mop up the sauce. I like the hard boiled eggs to be ever so slightly undercooked, so that the yolks have a wee bit of creaminess too them, but am only occasionally successful in accomplishing that. No matter, if they are cooked through, it's still delicious.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Well, I made the coddled eggs for lunch, with lowfat cheddar cheese and fake bacon bits. In my typical fashion I got distracted by the fried potatoes, onion and pepper I was making on top of the stove, so I way overcooked the eggs. They had the consistency of a hard boiled egg. And with the lowfat cheese topping the whole thing was kind of rubbery. But it tasted good and looked cute. Had them with the potatoes and some coleslaw with poppyseed dressing.

Later this week I may try Rachelellen's Anda Masala. I have some hard boiled eggs to use up, but first I have to use up a bunch of other stuff.

Lou, my eggs will never look as good as yours or Annie's, they aren't that fresh. No sense me even getting farm fresh eggs because at the rate single-me uses them up they wouldn't be "farm fresh" for long.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Pinky:
    First time I heard of an egg looking " cute " LOL!!!
    Why don't you give the Micro a try.
    They might be cute too !!!
    Lou

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

Meringues!!!

I love meringues and they are SOOO easy to make.

1 part egg whites, 2 parts fine granulated sugar (BY WEIGHT) and a pinch or two of cream of tarter.

Beat egg whites till frothy, add cream of tarter and a pinch of salt. (Salt keeps them white, cream of tarter stabilizes them (along with the sugar) and increases volume). Increase mixer speed to medium and slowly add 1 part sugar. When stiff peaks form, turn off mixer and fold in remaining sugar.

Pipe as desired and bake in very slow oven (200-250) till crisp but not browned - 1 to 4 hours depending on size. I always leave mine in the turned off oven overnight. We like our meringues, melt-in-the-mouth crisp.

I also love the contrast of dark chocolate with meringue. DH loves to use a chewier meringue (less sugar) to make a base for pavlova.

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

I made a quiche yesterday.

1/2 c. carmelized onion
    1/2 c. chanterelle mushrooms
    2 T. dijon mustard
    1 t. dried parsley
    1 1/2 c. fat free swiss cheese
    8 eggs
    1 c. milk
    1/4. flour
    S & P to taste

Mixed the eggs, milk, spices, mustard together, stirred in cheese and veggies.
    Poured into deep pie pan and baked at 350 about 45 minutes.

Pic to come!!!!

Deanna

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

Love eggs and we use quite a lot of them. Good recipes and suggestions. Quiche is one of my favorite foods and my favorites are a mushroom onion quiche and a brocoli and cauliflower quiche. I like to use a combination of monterey jack and cheddar. I also use soy sauce for most of the salt. Garlic powder, onion powder, some onions, milk and eggs to make custard [1 egg per cup of milk or more]. I always make at least two because they freeze so well and when I get a taste for them one doesn't usually do it and I like them fresh. To freeze them I pop the pan into a gallon baggie.

One of my favorite things is coconut. Go figure, eh? I love the impossible coconut pie that was made with Bisquick. It literally takes only a minute to make and comes out great. I make my own biscuit mix so that Christy can make herself biscuits. I don't really find it takes more than a minute or two to make biscuits from scratch but.. the mix does come in handy for this recipe.

Impossible Coconut Pie

1 cup flaked or shredded coconut
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix [I use my home made mix]
    1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
    2 cups milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    4 eggs

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease 9-inch pie plate with shortening or cooking spray.
    2. In medium bowl, stir all ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate.
    3. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.

Home made biscuit mix Recipe using all\-purpose flour: \* 9 cups all\-purpose flour \* 1 1/2 tablespoons salt \* 1/4 cup baking powder \* 2 cups solid vegetable shortening Recipe using self\-rising flour: \* 10 cups self\-rising flour (this already has salt and baking powder added to it) \* 2 cups solid vegetable shortening You can use either recipe above and come up with the same results. The procedure for making Biscuit Mix is the same for both recipes. Choose the recipe that fits the status of your ingredients the best. Get out a very large bowl, or a clean, dry dish pan. Mix all of the dry ingredients together first. Then measure the shortening by using a one cup measure to scoop up a big glob of shortening. Pack it down tightly, and level off the top with your finger or a dull knife. Your fingers will get greasy; its alright, you can wash them later. Scoop the shortening out of the measuring cup into the bowl or dishpan. Measure another cup of shortening the same way. You should put a total of two cups of shortening into the flour. Now use your hands to mix the shortening into the flour. It should only take a few minutes before the mixture resembles lumpy cornmeal in texture. Now you are done. Easy, wasnt it? Store the Biscuit Mix in a tightly sealed canister or clean coffee can. These recipes make about 11 or 12 cups of Biscuit Mix. Use it anywhere else you see Bisquick or Biscuit Mix called for. Here are some of MY eggs. From the free range chickens that frequent my yard from my neighbors two doors down. I recently found a dozen eggs in one clutch in a window well. [
    ](http://photobucket.com)
  • lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Loves those mushrooms are a work of art!! Did you make them, and if so, how did you get the stems connected to the tops?

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

OK, late to the party.......as usual!!
    Here's the quiche I posted above!! It was very, very good!

Deanna

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Deanna you aren't late....are you? 'Cause if you are I am really late! I was thinking it was this coming weekend.

By the way , great looking quiche!

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I also think it's this coming weekend! And that's when I'm doing mine hopefully. We had no water for 19 hours last night and today while the city repairs a major pipe. It's back at the moment but you can never tell here. Hard to cook with no water...not to mention shower. LOL.

SharonCb

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I happen to have zucchini, basil and eggs on hand, so I'm trying this recipe out tonight. It's from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

I've never made a frittata, but this looked easy enough. The zucchini is sitting and draining as I type. I'll report back on the results.

Sally

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I could have sworn I came back right after submitting the previous post to add the recipe, and submitted it, but the post has disappeared. I even changed the heading just like we're supposed to do. Oh well, here's the recipe. I served it with home fries made with home grown red potatoes and simply cooked fresh spinach.

Zucchini Frittata with Marjoram (or Basil)

1 1/4 pounds zucchini, coarsely grated
    Salt and freshly milled pepper
    3 tablespoons live oil
    6 eggs
    1 large garlic clove, crushed or minced
    1 tablespoon chopped marjoram (or a few tablespoons chopped basil leaves)
    1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan or dry Jack

Toss the zucchini with 1 teaspoon salt and set it aside in a colander for 20 or 30 minutes. Rince briefly, then squeeze dry.

Warm half the oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until its dry and flecked with gold in a few places, about 6 minutes. Transfer the zucchini to a bowl and wipe out the pan.

Preheat the broiler. Beat the eggs with a few pinches of salt and some pepper, then stir in the garlic, zucchini, herb of choice, and cheese. Add the remaining oil to the pan and, when its hot, add the eggs. Lower the heat, cook for a minute or so, then give the pan a few jerks to make sure the eggs are loose on the bottom. If theyre sticking, loosen them carefully with a thin rubber spatula. Cook over mediium-low heat until the eggs are set and the top is nearly dry, about 10 minutes. Put the fritatta 4 to 6 inches under the broiler to finish cooking the top.

I did make it last night, using the basil, but wasn't up to doing the photography thing. I don't know what a frittata is supposed to look like, and in the recipe, Madison doesn't specify how large of a pan to use, just a wide pan, so my frittata turned out maybe too thin. I used the largest skillet I had that could go into the oven or under a broiler, which is a big 12" (I think), or bigger, enamel covered cast iron skillet. I don't use it very often because it's so #%@!#&^#$! heavy! Anyway, the frittata turned out pretty thin. Are they supposed to be thin? It was fairly tasty. Jerry (DH) liked it, but we both agreed that I over cooked it. As thin as it was, 10 minutes on the stove top plus extra under the broiler was a bit too long. Seeing as it was the first frittata I made, I think I need to practice some more.

Sally

• JoanM
    14 years ago

I always wanted to try the spaghetti egg pie that I have seen Rachael Ray make. You fry some leftover pasta in olive oil and then pour the scrambled egg mixture over the top and finish it in a 400 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes. It was different for breakfast, pretty tasty. My leftover pasta was garlic pasta so that probably kicked it up a notch.
    before the oven

after - yum

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

I only meant I was late in posting my picture (several days after I said I was going to)!!

Looking forward to trying lots of these recipes!!

Deanna

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I made Ruthanna's Timbales last night for supper, to go with grilled salmon that Elery and I caught from Lake Michigan and a salad with pickled eggs. I didn't think the timbales needed any sauce, and I used my homecanned collard greens because I didn't have any spinach and didn't want to go to the store. Elery's dog, Pancho, loved them too and ate a whole one all by himself.

this morning I made a version of the Ina Garten Baked Herbed Eggs, posted by Sally. My broiler is on the bottom of my stove, under the oven, so I have to lie on my stomach on the floor to use it and so it's only been used maybe twice, LOL. I baked the eggs in the oven instead.

I lined small Corningware casserole dishes (handed down from my Grandma) with slices of ham, added a couple of eggs and the cream. Herbs were tarragon, marjoram and chives from my herb garden, and I baked the eggs at 375 because we had biscuits with them and that's what I was baking the biscuits at. They were yummy, and in deference to Elery's southern roots, I had sorghum to put on the biscuits. Very yummy, and here are the eggs:

The pickled eggs were simply hard boiled eggs, dropped into a jar of pickled beet juice and left to sit for 3 or 4 days. I quartered them and used them to top a salad made of lettuce, celery, vidalia onions and peas, dressed with some of my homemade yogurt mixed with horseradish mustard and a bit of maple syrup, then topped with the eggs and pickled beets.

{{gwi:1524511}}

I think I'll make Diane's Creme Brulee Bars to take to the office, but that will be later tonight. It's in the 80s now and too hot to turn the oven on.

I'm also going to try the Anda Masala next week when Elery is here, I think he'd love that, and I'm going to make loves2cook's meringues to take to Ohio with us on Saturday.

Of course I also want coconut's pie and Brenda's Cajeta that I saw on another thread, so we'll see what the week brings, I have 4 dozen eggs in the fridge and more on the way.

I've copied and pasted this whole thread, so I can use up eggs all summer while the hens are still laying daily!

Annie

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

Wow, there really are a lot of great recipes on this thread. I love omelets, quiche, frittatas, chile rellano casseroles and just plain soft boiled, hard boiled and fried eggs.

Last Thursday I made something I have never made before and probably have not eaten for at least fifteen years - egg foo young. It was so good. My friend brought me a big bag of bean sprouts and her loosely remembered recipe. I just sauteed slivered onion and mushrooms, put them in a bowl to cool a little and added the beansprouts, chopped scallions and chopped shrimp and a little salt and pepper. I made mounds of the veggie, shrimp mixture in a heated large frying pan with about 1/8th inch of oil. Then just poured beaten eggs, seasoned with soy sauce, szechwan pepper and a little sesame oil, over each mound scraping the egg into the mounds with a silicon spatula. They were cooked until the bottom of the mounds were browned with slight crispy edges and then carefully turned to brown the other side.

She had a simple recipe for a sauce with chicken broth, soy sauce, a little molasses and cornstarch. Yum!

On Friday, when Max was not home for dinner, I cooked the remaining veggies, some new beaten egg mixture in a really small saute wok with a bottom that is about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. That was perfect; it made a single large patty and I didn't have to scrape the liquid egg mixture back together with the veggies. Of course it meant cooking one at a time so not very practical if you are doing it for more than one person.

I wish I knew how they are cooked in restaurants. I can't imagine a busy chef standing over the stove to move the egg back into the veggies.

Lee

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll echo what Lee just said..."Wow, there really are a lot of great recipes on this thread."
    I know I'll be coming back here to make a few things, right now there's just not enough time in my days.

Getting ready to draw a name.......

it's.........

Caliloo! Alexa, please post here what out next star ingredient is....I'll be checking back.

Nancy

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bump

Caliloo, I hope you see this. I'll check again as soon as I get home tonight.

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alexa?

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Sent you an email... should I post my choice here or wait for your thread to start?!?!?!?

Alexa

PS - my ingredient is CORN!

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Posting on this is best...I'm trying real hard to keep the threads connected...

here's the link to the next cookalong....

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #12 -- CORN