Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaandjay

Quote for Carrier HE furnace and/or AC in the ballpark?

Vaandjay
13 years ago

I'm trying to see if an estimate I got is in the ballpark. If it is, I'll go with it for the furnace/humidifier and may add on the A/C as well.

We live near DC, so prices can be high. We currently have a 1992 Weathermaker that has seen better days and the A/C is a 1994 Home Air Products model. The furnace needs to heat the basement and two floors (1800 square feet total) while the A/C is really needed primarily for the two floors (1200 sq. ft.). The finished basement is always cool/cold.

The estimate is for taking away existing Carrier furnace (1992 Weathermaker), using its existing PVC pipes, and putting in the following system:

Carrier Infinity gas furnace 58MVC080-14 (2-stage, 95.4 afue)

Carrier Infinity Control (thermostat)

Condensate pump

Duct modifications

Electrical, gas and PVC supplies

Misc. materials, sales tax and labor

EXCLUDES:

Cut, patch or paint. Total: $4,700.

An Aprilaire Humidifier Model 400 would add $600.

Also I got an estimate for the a new Carrier Infinity air conditioning system during the new furnace installation.

Carrier Infinity condenser 24ANA124A003 (2-stage, 19seer) AHRI#1408668

Carrier evaporator coil CNPVP3621ATA

New pad, new disconnect w/whip kit

The A/C would be an additional $4,500. So the total estimate for everything (furnace, humidifier, A/C) is about $9,800. I'd be eligible for the $1,500 tax credit for high efficiency furncaces and ACs.

Home Depot is sending a contractor with a quote on Trane equipment tomorrow, but I like the HVAC expert who gave me the Carrier quote and who has done a little work for me previously.

Thanks for any guesstimates or opinions.

Comments (12)

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

is new refrigerant lineset included?

what about an air filter cabinet?

what size furnace and AC are you replacing?

post back.

IMO

• Vaandjay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Embarrassed to admit that I know practically nothing about this stuff.

First, the estimate doesn't mention the refrigerant lineset or air filter cabinet.

Second, the 1992 Carrier 58-SXC-080 is an 88,000 BTU unit.

Third, I couldn't find my 1994 central air's stats. Homeair was made by Evcon Holdings, which York bought in 1995 and made part of York "Unitary Products Group." The label has a model number XTC0230BA, but I've found nothing on the label indicating size and I've found nothing on the internet with that model number.

Thanks for your help. Sorry I have little more to add.

• cmanohio
    13 years ago

Why so much for the humidifier? It is $200 online. Are the charging $400 to install? Is it a difficult install or something?

THe clock is ticking. I would see if I could get several more quotesIn the next few days.

Check angies list in your area, many homeowners give detailed reports including price.

• Vaandjay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not sure about the humidifier, but I'm looking at the price of the combo furnace-plus-humidifier and considering the AC separately. I'm getting another quote tom'w and hope to get a third in the next few days.

This internet just might last. It took me about an hour to learn that the last 4 digits of my AC model mean that the unit is 23000 BTUs, or just under 2 tons.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

This is NG, not propane?

• Vaandjay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's natural gas.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

VJ

dealer needs to verify size of existing AC condenser. That may be a 2 1/2 ton mdl, not 2 ton.

IMO

• mike_home
    13 years ago

The price you were quoted is fair for the Carrier Infinity 58MVC80 furnace and 24ANA124 condenser. I had similar equipment installed in my house last year.

I can verify the condenser is a 2 two ton 2 stage unit. It only comes in increments of one ton.

Carrier includes a 10 year parts warranty. I recommend you get the 10 year labor warranty from Carrier.

I also recommend you stay away from Home Depot. You potentially will pay a higher price and get a poor installation.

• Vaandjay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the message, mike. I had been at Home Depot and asked them to come out (just because I was there) but they didn't even show up. That was fine because we have a consumers' review magazine here--consumers rate service people in lots of industries--and Home Depot's contractor received horrendous ratings. I'm having a couple other highly rated contractors give estimates but it's good to know that the 1st person's price seems fair.

• neohioheatpump
    13 years ago

$4700 for just the furnace and additional $4500 for a/c is nuts. Thats very expensive I think. I know its name brand equipment but still.

Lot of other good quality brands for much less money. Find some independent installers and ask for ball-park estimate over the phone.

• mike_home
    13 years ago

Vaandjay,

Your equipment must be installed by Dec. 31 in order to qualify for the tax credit. The time is short to to this.

Neo,

This is the top of the line Carrier furnace and air conditioner. If you are going to compare other brands, then you need to compare the equivalent equipment. No good contractor is going to give you an estimate over the phone. It is all about installation, not the equipment.

• Vaandjay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the messages. When I first got this quote, I hadn't priced furnaces ever. I had told the contractor that I did not need the Rolls Royce of furnaces because we do not expect to live here more than another 5 years, and he came back with this quote.

After talking with some other contractors the past couple of days, I am realizing that there are less expensive options than the Infinity model (including the Performance series from Carrier, which can also qualify for the current tax credit). I am now getting bids on similar efficiency models from contractors that use Rheem, Goodman, Carrier/Bryant/Payne, and other models.

Thanks for the help on this question. After this weekend, I'll probably have another question asking for help in comparing models and their prices. I have to act quickly on the furnace because ours was diagnosed officially yesterday and the primary heat exchanger is cracked, which didn't surprise me.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths