0

Long Lasting Flameless Candle?

ttodd

For Christmas I got a bunch of flameless candles from my MIL. They were all different heights & sizes. Wasn't sure how I'd like them so I grouped them all together on an accent table. I actually loved them! Problem? They each require 4 AAA batteries. They are set on a 6hr timer and they have lasted me less than 1 month! I really can't justify spending $24/ mo on batteries for these things! I could only turn them on here and there if I wanted but I really loved coming home to flickering candle light in the dark nights after work. They are from Kohls.

Anyone know of a longer lasting flameless candle/ battery?

• chijim

I find it's worth investing in rechargeable batteries for such things.
    The initial cost may be high, but they will pay for themselves over time.

This post was edited by chijim on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 13:41

• grlwprls

I did as chijim suggested. Just filled in my existing stock of rechargeable AAA batteries. We put groups of LED candles in the transom above our atrium doors for Christmas and I loved the look so much...I couldn't bear to take them down and pack them up on these darks days of winter but the operational costs...whoa. The only quibble I have is that we have less and less things that actually take batteries! All the former AAA things seem to be rechargeable these days. So the batteries are really *only* for the candles.

• ttodd

I was wondering about rechargeble batteries. Grlwprls - if you hve a picI woud love to see it! It sounds lovely! Yes w/ these long dark winter nights I really liked the warmth of the candles.

• grlwprls

Not the best picture - cellphone+dark = photography fail. You can also see our solstice luminaries. New tradition this year. We really enjoyed making them.

• grlwprls

Do I need to say that they look a lot better in real life?

• sis2two

I have several that I purchased from a little country decor shop here in the valley. I absolutely love them! They take C batteries and last for a long, long time. Don't know the brand, but I would be glad to get you some and mail them. I have them set to come on at about 5:00 and they can be set to stay on for 4 or 8 hours. Just let me know.

• Fun2BHere

Try the Candle Impressions brand sold by QVC that run on C or D batteries. They last forever on one set of batteries.

• ttodd

Been awhile since I got back to this post. Thank you all so much!

Grlwprls - how pretty is that?! I may have to steal that idea for our transoms at the holidays. So, so pretty!

Sis2two - if you could let me know what the pprice range is that would be wonderful - I'd really appreciate it!

Fun2BHere - I will check out QVC right now.

I actually just got back from RH and they have C Cell battery operated ones that looked wonderful! 1000 battery life and they are all on sale at $14 - $33 per candle. They looked so good burning - not that spastic on/off flicker that I see a lot. It was more of a pulsating flicker. They also have a real 'wick'.

I just knew that there had to be something out there w/ cell batteries. Thank you all for giving me options!

• putch

I purchased six LED candles on amazon that all require 3 AAA batteries. I spent an additional $25 on rechargeable batteries. At first they lasted a few hours and now it's down to a few minutes on the re-chargeable batteries. The reason why I wanted these particular candles is because they are 3" in diameter and that's what would fit all the candle holders that I liked. I have Luminara candles and LOVE them but they are 3.5" in diameter and hard to find holders that I like that will fit them. Moral of my story - stick with LED candles that require either C or D batteries and don't use re-chargeable batteries.

• beaniebakes

Great suggestion. I just bought LED candles that use AAA batteries and have a feeling they won't last long. Next time I'll look for candles that take C or D. I'm surprised at how much I like LED candles.

• mdln

Great post & information, thank you!

• caminnc

I have used rechargeable tea-lights for years now. Just bought my DD at set. I love them and use them all year.

• aputernut

Mine all take watch type batteries last a long time.