sbm321

Can't seem to get the coffee table right!

Sueb20

I actually work a bit as a decorator, and for other people, I can pick out furniture very easily. Not so for myself -- why is that?? Certain things are easy. The living room coffee table is not. This will be maybe our fourth coffee table in 10 years? Something like that. I can't get it right. The last one was too big and boxy. The one before that was a fabric covered ottoman that got too dirty. The one we have now, which we have only had for about a year, is just an absolute magnet for pet fur and dust, and it has scratched very easily, partly because of my careless house cleaners who I am firing this week. We have decided to put the glass table into use in our new screen porch, and ONCE AGAIN get a new coffee table. This time, no glass!

So I'm looking for your ideas and input. Needless to say, I have a mishmash of stuff in this room. We do have two matching Stickley mission oak pieces -- TV stand and a small bookcase. That is as much "matching" as I can tolerate, so I don't want a mission coffee table. I also have the Durham end table from Ballard at one end of the sofa (big square table). I like it a lot, and there is a matching coffee table that is about the same size as the table we have now (8" longer). So that could be an option, although the wood is quite a bit lighter than the other woods in the room, which is OK in the end table but might be too much in a coffee table.

The table we have now is 42" x 24" and I would not want to go any wider than the 24" but could go a bit longer. The reason I liked the glass is because it was "airy" in our small room. So I am stil drawn to somewhat "airy" tables, meaning, I guess, something with just four legs and just empty space under the table top -- not a trunk style, and part of me does not want a shelf underneath, though another part of me likes having that storage space. A drawer would be awesome for remotes, etc., but not absolutely necessary.

My ideal table would be dark (real) wood, probably oak or dark walnut, not too "finished" looking, though, so a few dents wouldn't be terribly obvious. This would be a coffee table that people would put their feet on. I'm attracted to Parsons style tables and I like one at Room and Board, but it's almost $800 plus shipping is expensive (we don't have a store nearby). I am still considering it, though...sort of. I just wish it was $400 or $500!

Any thoughts? suggestions?

I will post a couple more pics so you get an idea of the whole room. Oh, ignore that mess under the window. We are getting rid of the radiator and then the bench will go under the window.

• Sueb20

Another pic.

• Sueb20

One more with a better shot of the Ballard table. The color of the walls is not this yellow! Lousy cell phone pics. And gee, there is way too much cr-p on that end table.

I can't seem to find the right light or shade for my table lamps.

its the light bulbs probably. unfrosted bulbs, halogens, and high color temp cfls will produce crisper 'white' light. soft incandescent and warm cfls (under 3000K) will produce yelllow light.

Can't seem to get our house sold!!!!

Mcholt gave great advice. This has occurred in the homes down my way as well (S. FL). I would not do any painting unless you have really dark walls, or themed rooms. It needs to look generic to appeal to more people. My own house had the worst "designer" walls I ever saw and I walked away the first time. Clouds on one hall wall, textured walls in (no less) the bathroom, and a faux "stone" wall in the living room! Horrible! The seller reduced his price, and then had an open house and that is when we got to come inside and see it. We knew it had been reduced because the first flyer was not with an open house. Also, you didn't mention your curb appeal or if you are on a corner or busy, loud street. That makes a difference too.

Can't seem to get the right answer.

You can get rods with adjustable connectors to go around corners.

I just can't get it right. Please help.

The room looks very nice but I see your issue. What jumped at me immediately is that the coffee table and loveseat seem to have gone adrift and are floating in the very center of the room. First I would move the coffee table closer to the longer sofa. Then I would EITHER put the smaller loveseat on the opposite side backing to the banister and little closer to the sofa OR banish it entirely and get a smaller scale chair. One further suggestion: Objects on walls ideally should be hung at a height where your eye hits the CENTER of the object....by bringing them lower you will create the illusion of a taller ceiling.
  • luckygal

One thing I noticed about your room is that there are many different styles of legs on tables, chairs, bench, and stool. The only comment you made about the previous ottoman is that the fabric "got too dirty" so I wonder if that means that the ottoman idea worked and a leather one that could be easily wiped would be a solution. No legs and a great place to rest one's feet.

• anele_gw

I like airy, too, but not with your furniture. Your furniture has a lot of weight to it, and the current glass table just does not have enough heft to balance it. If it were bigger with a thick trim on it, yes, but not that one.

I am worried a dark wood will just be too dark in the room. I can see a painted round table, the color of the small ottoman (stool) in the photo.

Another option is a serpentine table. I will have to post a pic of mine. It adds some curves without being rounded. I would suggest oval, but I found my oval table made the room look smaller and narrower. I was surprised that a wider table gave my room the feeling that the room was wider, because the eye sees more.

• Sueb20

Lucky, that is interesting because I feel like everything in the room has straight simple legs except for one item, the chair by the fireplace which is the odd duck in the room but I got it for free and had it reupholstered and just love it.

Anele, I thought about something painted too but maybe in a distressed finish. There is so much red in the room, actually more of a brick/rusty dark red -- hard to see in the pic but it's in the roman shades, the fireplace chair, the cushion of the wood chair in the corner, etc. -- that I was thinking maybe red table would be overload. (In the next room, open to this, we also have a dark red leather sofa, red curtains, red desk chair...guess I like red!)

Maybe a stone topped table? Hm.

• always1stepbehind

What did you have before this coffee table? I think I remember the thread you had going before when you were getting this table..I like the glass/metal coffee table but think maybe you needed a little more beefy frame (like the one end table next to your sofa). Have you seen the Tanner collection by Pottery Barn? Similar to your table, glass and metal frame but a little more rustic/heavier frame.

• Sueb20

I had a larger, dark wood table with a lot more weight to it. The problem is that our main traffic path through this room is in front of the coffee table, so with a wider table, that path gets squooshed. (Technical terminology.) I feel like the glass was a mistake. It has scratched, it attracts dog fur, and I find it just really hard to keep clean. I'd rather have a dinged up wood table than a scratched glass table. And with a wood table, I won't have to yell at everyone to not put their feet on the table!

• anele_gw

Maybe 2 smaller ottomans (ottomen, haha) that could be put to the side when not in use?

• erinsean

I too like glass coffee tables...the airy look. I have glass tables with no frame around them....just glass sitting on wrought iron curvy legs....don't get dusty or if they do, so easy to swipe clean. With the frame you have, I think "stuff" would get caught around the frame. Anyway, I think a small storage chest would be good in your room....all wood or all leather....Not too big but would be good to put your feet on. OR get a peice of granite/stone/tile like your other table and put it on top of the coffee table you have. You can get some of those round stickum things to hold your granite/stone in place.

• erinsean

• farmchic

This one on overstock looks fun

"A white finish and solid wood construction highlight this cocktail table. This table also has a glass top and display case to show your collections and drawers for storage."

$229.99

• always1stepbehind

I'm with you...I like to be able to put my feet up. Cant wait to see what you come up with next. You have alot of what I like in your space. It's looks like a very welcoming space.

• funkyart

This table from RH goes a little different direction-- but it may be too cold for you. I really like the industrial edge and I think it would work well with your other elements.

Also, I'd check out Staples Cabinetmakers (I think they are in your neck of the woods). They have some really interesting pieces on their site and I am sure more in the works and in their showroom.

This post was edited by funkyart on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 22:46

• abundantblessings

Sue, I'm not sure the coffee table is the problem. I'd like to see you place the poof on the other side toward the window to open up the room, and a few feet away from the table. I'd angle the far chair by the sofa more into the room and relocate the small footstool by the FP to either a perpendicular position on the window side or try it in front of the (newly) angled chair.

I have dogs, don't like to clean over much and love the fact that glass is easy to spruce up and make look great in an instant. If you're having problems with scratches then perhaps add a small kilim or pillow under feet propped up on the glass top. I think you can make it work with what you already have with just minimal tweaks.

• kkaymorgan

I actually think I would like some sort of wood storage chest. This is what I use - a bit messy at the moment!

• work_in_progress_08

Are you specifically looking for a rectangular shaped table? When I finally decided on a coffee table years ago, I chose a round table in an effort to "break up" all of the square and rectangles in my LR. Also, having most of our first floor rooms open to one another, the round coffee table has served us well.

I am still happy with the choice of a round table, since it funtions well for daily use, as well as when we entertain. Can't tell from your pics just how much space you have to accomodate a coffee table, so thought I would make the suggestion since I've been so happy with the round coffee table.

FWIW, we had a solid cherry trimmed glass coffee table in our LR growing up. It drove my DM crazy. With kids and pets, it didn't stay clean for long. It now lives in my DB's home. No kids, no pets:)

As anside, love your brass frog. I have the same piece on the table in my foyer.

• Sueb20

Farm chic, I like the overall shape of that table, but white would not work in this room. There is literally nothing white in this room, not even the ceiling!

Kkay, you know, I saw a trunk/chest in a store last weekend and I was really drawn to it but it was just a little too small. If I could find the one I saw in a bigger size, I think it might be a candidate.

Funky -- I think you and I could be friends for life. I have looked (online) at that RH table a few times!! It is so cool looking. I wondered how the metal would hold up, ie would it scratch easily. I should go look at it in the store.

We had a round table in this room way back when... That's still a possibility although right now I'm thinking a long table so everyone can put their feet up, and probably putting the round red ottoman elsewhere. I'm not sure about the aesthetics of a round table, plus a round ottoman, plus the square ottoman that goes with the leather chair...

Finally, abundant blessings, I knew someone would mention the position of that chair. I know it's not great, but the reality of this room is that we sit on that chair and that end of the sofa to watch TV. Also, if I pull the chair out and angle it more, it gets too tight with the end table and that end of the sofa (I've done it) and ends up looking more awkward. Eventually I'm going to slide the sofa down the wall a few inches in the other direction, but that entails moving the artwork, etc...so I've been procrastinating. That might help but probably not that much. Same problem with the red ottoman -- that's for the feet of whoever is sitting at that end of the sofa (don't get me started -- DH and DS seem physically unable to sit there without putting their feet up on something). But if I had a longer table, the ottoman would go elsewhere.

• Sueb20

Here's a thought, too. I could do a round table like this and stick the round red ottoman underneath it when not in use!

I think I need to visit RH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round table at RH

• erinsean

I have a carved storage chest being used as a coffee table in our family room. It was a little low so my husband put bun feet on it (you can get round or square or carved feet) and stained the feet to match the chest. Looks great and a handy storage for the grands chess set.

• funkyart

Ha Sueb, it's funny how often our styles/picks come together! I think it would look awesome in your home and can't imagine it wouldnt wear well-- but the key is how they've finished it. The nearest RH is a few hours away so I havent seen it in person either. I also like the round one but seeing how you use your room (or inferring), my first thought was, "well, only one person could put their feet up".

I know trunks are still a favorite for coffee tables but I am SO beyond ready to trade mine in for a real coffee table. I long for the leggy look and a place to put my feet (or legs if on the floor) under the table. I also hate that stuff can fall under it and go unnoticed.

I'd go visit the RH store. Too bad they aren't running the 25% off sale they ran all through December!

• katrina_ellen

I think you are going in the right direction looking for a coffee table with no bottom shelf. It makes such a diffrence when you are going for a lighter look, and the Ballard table looks like it could hold whatever you need to store, thats a big end table. I can't tell if its wood or some type of stone on the Ballard, but if its wood, then your RH rustic style table looks like it could blend well, but I would go with more of a medium tone wood since that is mostly what is in the room. Good idea to store the ottoman under the table. Your room is very nice, its cozy looking.

• funkyart

BTW I like the lighter finish in the RH metal table-- but I could only grab a photo of the dark finish.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I think that round coffee table would be great.

• Sueb20

I have a round table about that size in the next room so I think over the weekend I might drag it into the LR and see how we like that size/shape. I liked having a round table years ago before the one we had fell apart. True, the foot situation is harder, but we do have the red ottoman thing which I'm thinking could be cute sitting under the table in between uses. I won't like it if the wood is too light, though, so I hope I can see it IRL. The closest RH is about 30-40 minutes away and happens to be in the same town as an amazing fabric store...I'm thinking Sunday field trip!