Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aawarw_gw

Need paint color to help reduce pink undertone in new carpet

aawarw
10 years ago

Remodeled our basement and was in love with the paint color we had put on the walls (BM Edgecomb Gray) until the new carpet was installed. I did not see any pink/peach undertone in the carpet until after it was installed. The carpet sample looked like a neutral tan, but not in our basement. Some of the other factors that may be in play are our new LED canned lights, oak windows with 2" oak blinds, and our white trim (BM Dove White).

My guess is replacing the blinds (can't afford to replace the actual windows right now) may help cut out some of the pink, but I think the paint color may be the primary solution to reducing the pink/peach tone of the carpet. We had BM Monroe Bisque on the walls before, but too gold for what we want now. Wondering if SW Kilim Beige may be a solution.

Comments (4)

• aawarw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a image of the basement with the LED lights off and the blinds pulled open. Ignore the old couch cushions, they will not returning to the basement. The kids were playing with them.

• Dean (Z7a NJShore)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It appears from the top photo, and in the bottom photo (only on the upper part of the walls) that the wall paint has a green undertone. A green undertone will make the pink undertone of the carpet stand out more.

[I'm not sure how to correct this though. I think you need to use complimentary color undertones. In the case of pink, it would be light purple or light orange undertones. But I'm not sure. That is actually what I am looking for right now; how to correct pink bathroom tile undertones. I just happen to come across this website.]

• User
    9 years ago

We have the same carpet. Edgecomb has a green undertone which is popping the pink undertone in your carpet. You'll need to pick a color with a pink undertone if you want to minimize and have your neutral look correct. Look at BM Muslin. It looks like linen on the walls with a hint of red undertone. Check out BM Shaker Beige - it's pretty balanced and looks a true beige. A few other options with a red undertone, though going a bit deeper, BM Stone House or Bradstreet Beige. Also maybe BM Brandy Cream. Hope that helps!

• Joann Delaney
    7 months ago

Did you figure out how to fix it? We just had a grey/taupe carpet installed and is looks just like the color you had an issue with.