Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Letting Go, Saying Good-Bye

sylviatexas1
17 years ago

Here's a little prayer a friend used when she buried her ancient black Lab:

"Jake, you were the best dog.

You loved your family, & your family loved you.

You helped us raise the children, & they are better people for having had you in their lives.

You gave us your heart, & you are in our hearts.

Let your body return to the earth,

Let your breath be one with the wind,

Let your spirit return to the great Universe,

Be at peace,

Be with God".

You can change the words to fit the pet & to fit your own theology or view of what happens when a pet dies.

anyone else have prayers, sayings, messages that they use at such times?

Comments (6)

• spiritual_gardner
    17 years ago

As my beloved Tara died in my arms, I imagined souls on the other side, with arms extended, saying joyfully, "here she comes, here she comes, welcome home Tara....

SG

• shabosbaby
    17 years ago

We lost our ShihZu (sp) about 3 years ago and we still haven't really let her go. I still hear her bark every once in a while and it sends shivers up my spine. I believe she is up with our family who has passed on. So we just told Grandma to take care of our sweet angel!! Now, everytime I refer to her she is "our sweet Angel"

Thanks, Elycia

• mazer415
    17 years ago

My friend has planted a rose in memory of her pet and hung his collar on the rose bush, I knkow of several who have planted dogwoods, or pussywillows and placed their animals in the ground nearby...My best buddy has his three dogs in their wooden boxes behind his recliner chair, collars around the boxes - he said he could not bear the thought of them in the ground, and besides they spent alot of time in the living room right near his chair...I thought that was a great idea
    Here is a copy of the Rainbow Bridge:
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

• yborgal
    17 years ago

When we lost PeeWee someone suggested that I put my feelings into written word. I felt better after doing so and would go back often and reread what I'd written.

Shabosbaby's comments reminded me of this poem, written because I could still hear PeeWee in our home for a while after she died.

"After you left us,
    I thought I heard you.
    I thought I saw you.
    I thought I felt you.

And then I knew
    What you had done for us.
    You stayed until you were sure
    That we would be fine without you.

You stayed until you saw
    The tears were slowly stopping.
    You stayed until you heard us
    Talking about the good times.

You stayed until you saw us smiling
    As we relived the memories you gave us.
    And only then did you finally leave.
    I wish you had stayed longer."

• mboston_gw
    17 years ago

I am starting a scrapbook for our new puppies but as part of the journaling that I am doing for each page, I am putting a page that is titled "Why you are here." In it I describe our loss of our dear Chelsea last Feb. and how I felt once she was gone. I end by saying that they were sent to us, not to replace her but to fill our hearts with puppy kisses from her. I know its sappy but what the heck, its how I feel and part of the healing process. I also mentioned that we ended up with two puppies cause Chelsea knew both Daddy and I needed someone to hug. I am thinking of adding a small photo of her to the album as well.

• lola1
    17 years ago

mboston, I think that is a great idea.
    Kelly