0

best place to buy a mattress?

threedgrad

Anyone buy a mattress at Costco or Sam's Club? Happy with prices, quality? Any suggestions?

• rubyslipperz

Not sure that all deals at the "clubs" are always good deals. I like a deal as much as the next guy and do shop at Sam's for certain things. I've always purchased our mattresses from a mattress-specific store. I don't know where you are located, but there are quite a few stores that specialize in mattresses. That way you get a warranty, etc.

My SIL purchased a mattress from one of the mattress-specific stores and it was a breeze when she needed to make a claim. No problems, new mattress. If you do go with a Sams, be sure what your warranty covers, etc.

• okhouse

We bought our kingsize mattress/springs at Costco a year ago. We think it is extremely comfortable, but we also put on top of it the memory foam topper we had on the old bed because it was still in great shape (though the bed was disgusting!) So now we are really, really comfy. I have found that I have to shop harder for sheets, because the new mattress is very thick.

We know that Costco's return policy is excellent, though we would have to get the bed back to the store, but perhaps it is like that for any mattress dealer. Fortunately, no need to return.

Margaret

• tfm1134

we bought our last mattress at Sams (or maybe Cosco?) will have to ask DH more details when he gets home. But it is my fav mattress in the house. So comfortable.

• fillagirl

A few years ago, we bought a mattress at Costco. After 8 months of sleeping on it, my DH was getting a sore back (think it was from the memory foam topper). Thought I would be out the $1K I spent on the mattress, but phoned up Costco & they said they would take it back. I was amazed, and did end up returning it. Bought the next mattress from Sears, no memory foam topper, and so far so good. But can't beat Costco's return policy.

• lulaja1

I am always looking for a good deal and I just saw today that sears is having a huge mattress sale. You might want to check it out.I am sure you could test the mattress out at a different store and order from sears for a great price. I have also bought a latex mattress (for my son) from ikea which has worked well.

Here is a link that might be useful: sears mattress sale

• redbazel

We bought a new mattress (Queen size) at Sams about 4-5 years ago and paid somewhere under $400 for it. At the time, my good friends were getting a custom mattress from a local store and spending about $1300 for it. It sounded so good. But that was far more than we could really afford. While in Sam's Club, I saw theirs and they looked really good. They explained to me that if I didn't like it, or it became uncomfortable, they would take it back. I asked them if it became uncomfortable a year from now, would they take it back. They said "Of Course!" Well, you can't beat that can you? And so far, we have been happy.

Red

• beache

We bought our king sized mattress at Sam's about 2 years ago. It was on clearance for something like $400!! It's a pillow-top with memory foam in the pillow. I love it. It's a Serta and comes with the regular Serta warranty, plus Sam's great return policy.
    I'm the type of person that researches and analyzes every purchase to death. This mattress had to be a very quick decision because there were only 2 left in the store, so we grabbed it. It has worked out great!

• peaches12345

No, I haven't, but your question brings to mind one of my pet peeaves. Shopping for mattresses is sooooo difficult because you can't comparison shop. It's infuriating. Every store has a different name and most often a different covering for every name-brand mattress, so it is almost impossible to know what you are looking at from store to store and how prices compare for the same mattress. It really infuriates me. What other product is sold like this?

• nicole__

I purchased mine at a department store. (queen $700) They had a deal where you got a rebate on the delivery and a free bed frame. It's a pillowtop posturpedic. Love it!

• dilly_dally

"What other product is sold like this?"

Washers, dryers, refrigerators,.................

These chain stores like Best Buy contract for these things and make one tiny change in the design so they can put a different name and model number on it so you can't comparison shop.

When I was mattress shopping and doing my research I read that a company like Sealy will make the same mattress under different names for different stores. The clue in comparison is in the model name. I read that any Sealy name starting with an "R" is the same mattress, any one starting with an "N" is the same. That was the code. Ergo, the 'Cumberland' is the same as the 'Cloud'.

I don't know if it is still the same these days now that the cat was let out of the bag, but this info may help.

• judydel

For those of you that don't know I feel obligated to mention that "regular" mattresses are not very healthy. They are made of polyester materials that are sprayed with chemicals to make them non flammable. The voc's off gas for 5 years (I may be off, it may be longer). During that time the person/people sleeping in the bed are breathing in voc's during what is supposed to be the time to recharge and heal from the previous day.

Some people feel that these toxic mattresses are a contributing factor in SIDS.

In addition, some people believe that it is unhealthy to be sleeping on a mattress with metal springs, and unhealthy to be sleeping on a bed with a metal bed frame. There are many wireless signals in the air these days. These signals supposedly attach to the metal in the bed frame and mattress and keep the occupant in a kind of wireless hotbed all night.

We buy mattresses that have a rubber (not latex) core. The cover is made with cotton and wool. The wool makes the cover naturally fire retardant. They are very comfortable. We've also bought futon mattresses that are made with just the cotton and wool.

In addition, all of the wool and cotton used in making these style mattresses are organic (crops not sprayed with pesticides).

These natural materials are better for landfills down the road also.
    We've had three of these mattresses for at least 5 years and they are still like the day they were bought, no sagging or wear.

• beekeeperswife

We bought ours at Raymour & Flanigan. About 20 months later, we called, told them the matress sagged horribly, and was killing us. No problem, we were able to pick out something new. We ended up spending more money and getting a Sealy Springfree Latex mattress. It is absolutely the best money ever spent, in my opinion. We aren't hot anymore at night (latex breathes, unlike memory foam), it is wonderful. This mattress has a 30 year warranty. 30 years! If you haven't tried one of these, I would suggest you give it a whirl.

http://www.sealy.com/springfree/springfree.aspx

We also used a blog that had lots of great information because it is impossible to compare mattresses. Check this out:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mattress blog

• Boopadaboo

judydel - where did you get the mattresses? What is the brand?

I have to say, even though I have no idea if it was really the metal frame, when we put our mattress on the floor when DS got to be 6 months and could crawl, I started sleeping much better.

I thought maybe it was more support, and figured when it came time to go back to a frame I would get a platform bed of some kind.

Now if you had told me 5 years ago I would be sleeping on the floor, I would have told you that you were nuts!

• judydel

boop I'll figure out the brand names and seller when I get home tonight. We have 2 different brands but with similar contents and comfort.

Until recently in the grand scheme of things, mankind did not sleep on polyester sprayed with chemicals . . . with metal springs/frames and wireless signals. It seems like our "advances" sometimes are steps backwards imho. Unfortunately, we are all effected by media advertising telling us what is "normal". We all need to start questioning everything we do and look at things with a fresh eye.

Boop, I'm so glad you are interested in checking this out : )

• Boopadaboo

Thanks Judy! Many years ago my boss nearly died from whatever it is in new carpet that some people can be allergic to. They had no idea what was wrong with him at first and he spent many, many months getting well again.

Since then, and even more so recently since I had my first child, I question everything!

• judydel

I wasn't able to find my "mattress folder". So I can't find the manufacturer's name or online store that I bought the first three mattresses from (for the kid's rooms). I bought another from www.theorganicmattressstore.com for the guest room. You use a bunkie board instead of a box spring with these.

If you google green mattress or organic rubber wool cotton mattress you will pull up a bunch of online stores. I did find a local green store that had one of these in the show room so I was able to try it out first. But I found I could buy it online for much less. Be prepared, they are expensive : (

• Ideefixe

" There are many wireless signals in the air these days. These signals supposedly attach to the metal in the bed frame and mattress and keep the occupant in a kind of wireless hotbed all night. "

If you want to use your laptop in bed, a metal bed frame could possibly interfere with the wireless signal, but I think the health risks of mysterious wireless signals are minimal.

• judydel

Many scientists (especially from other countries) disagree. They are becoming more and more alarmed at the health risks associated with having wireless signals traveling through humans. When you sleep you should try to have all wireless devices turned off or at the least away from you. Sleeping on a mattress without metal and a bed frame without metal is an attempt to keep wireless signals from latching on and keeping you in a hotbed. Even if you don't have any wireless devices in your home, you can still be effected by wireless signals that travel from cell tower to cell tower if you are in the path. If you live in an apartment building or close to other houses, you are being effected by wireless signals that travel from the cell towers or from wireless routers to the other tenants/residents cell phone and computer devices. Some countries are banning "wireless cities" because of this.

Aside from the metal springs/bed frame concern, conventional mattress off gas nasty chemicals for years and you breathe/absorb those chemicals while you sleep. It is just the truth. Don't shoot the messenger.

• cyn427

I'm with Patty on this. Dilly, I can get a model number for washers, dryers, ovens, refrigerators, etc., and comparison shop. That is absolutely not possible with mattresses from Sterns and Foster, Sealy, Serta, etc. Different names and different covers for different stores just seems so dishonest and anti-consumer.

• traditionalgirl1

We bought a pillow top mattress at Sam's Club about a year ago, and it's the most comfortable mattress in the house. They have a TEN year return policy - 100% refund, and you can return it for any reason and in any condition. That return policy was what took all the risk out of it for us, and we figured why not try it and see? I can't tell you how much I love this mattress, and I am verrrry picky about mattresses. You do have to have the original receipt, of course. I put the receipt in the top drawer of one of the bedside tables, so we'll always know where it is if we need it.

• susanjn

How do you get a king size mattress home from Sams or Costco?

• traditionalgirl1

That's a good question, Susan. We have a queen size, and it fit in my husband's truck. We were also passing our old mattress on to one of the kid's bedrooms, so we didn't have to worry about disposing the old one. In our situation it worked out perfectly.

• Boopadaboo

Thanks for posting the follow up Judy. I will check out the mattresses when I get a minute. Not quite ready to get a new one yet, but I did buy an organic mattress for DS crib when we bought the crib. It will fit in his toddler bed too, so hopefully he will actually sleep on it one day. :) Once we are ready to get ours off the floor, it will probably be time for a new one.

• beekeeperswife

I posted the link to that mattress blog up above. I just wanted to add that I have nothing to do with them. The guy just has great information and is able and willing to cross reference the mattress you see at Macy's for example with all the other names it goes by. I believe he also sells mattresses, but I suppose this only works if you live near him. He always answers questions whether you are or are not a potential customer.

• davey3000

Costco has some really cheap foam mattresses. I don't remember the brand name, Novaform I believe. They are memory foam and much less costly than brand names like Temperpedic. I havent been to Sams club in years. The Original mattress factory is great, no middleman just direct to you and they take you on a tour of the factory.