FIND PROFESSIONALS
choclot

Couch in front of fireplace? Help please!!

choclot

Need some help please.

I'm trying to find out a good layout plan for my family room. I use this room for every day TV watching and this is usually where we land if company visits. We do have a family room in the basement, but this is the room that's most lived in.

I moved this green couch in from another room because I need more seating. But, because of the room's layout, the only place to put it is in front of the fireplace. I'm including a pic before the couch was moved in.

-Should I move the couch back out?

-Is it okay in front of the fireplace?

-Any other ideas of layout if I want to keep the couch in?

TIA!!

Room before couch moved in:

After couch moved in:

• ellendi

Sorry, but I don't know why you would want to block that beautiful fireplace. Two chairs flanking the fireplace would be better.
    Also, I don't like these two sofa's together.

• juliekcmo

what's the story of the doors on either side of the fireplace? Where do they lead?

I would not block the fireplace with the sofa, but you may be able to move the TV on an angle in front of one of the doors to re-orient your focal point to be both the TV and fireplace.

Help! Husband wants tv IN FRONT OF fireplace!

Coming in here to join the club of putting a TV in front of a fireplace. We have 3 in our new house, seriously, do we need that many? I have huge windows on one side with forest views, and i am not to block that. will have sofa floating towards "fireplace wall" and another one leaning against wall towards window. I don't want to spend money to demo the fireplace (there is also a huge ugly shelf built around it, so demo that plus fire place, i will have to do the floors too. I felt like the solution could be painting the shelves white, put a TV console in front of fire place and call it a day. This is the room next to the kitchen and i love watching tv after dinner to chill , pic found on internet, might not be ideal but it will save me some $

Need help with front sitting room/den, please

That footstool would be great for a Yorkie or Maltese...an English Working Cocker? Not so much (she's looks like a small springer). I'm having a custom crate cover sewn, although I don't know how she'll feel about it. Overall, this is the only room for a crate, so it stays, and I don't want to build around it or it won't make sense for resale (we're job hunting and facing a potential move). Off to look for a mantle! Thanks for the input so far. I know I need to switch out pictures and add pillows, etc.

Can I put a couch in front of a fireplace?

Paint, then reface fireplace with stacked stone. Get a sectional float in room looking at fireplace. Add a round or square coffee table big 36" go lighter on big pieces of furn. Then use that color in chairs with a print. The fireplace is yr focal point. Play it up. Get a 3 seater with a chaise on left side. (That when you are looking at sofa.) Add two Armless chairs or swivel to other side. Remove all small items from walls and floor. Area rug 8x10 in colors from walls, just one accent color in room use in accessories, like art and pillows. Don't be afraid of color. Your room just needs a big update. The grays set popular now, in furn and wall colors.

Off center couch in front of window -help?

Most of us are no longer placing our sofas against the wall. Instead, we are placing sofas out from the wall, and indeed sometimes even angling them, as radical as that may seem ! It would help enormously if you could sketch the room, marking doors and windows and showing dimensions. We would also like to have measurements of your furniture pieces. Is there any chance you could get rid of the loveseat? Do you really need it? Your latest photo is showing improvements. You might try angling the rug to add visual interest to the arrangement.
  • choclot

The doors lead to my backyard. I never open the one of the left. The one on the right is frequently open during the warmer months and is used when we have BBQs and get-togethers. With the way the cable is hooked up, the nearest door (the right one) isn't an option. Plus, for some reason, I don't like blocking windows and doors.

Really gotta figure this out!

• lukkiirish

I understand wanting/needing more seating but I don't believe that sofa is the answer to your situation. Maybe a better solution would be to find some seating that you can bring in as you need to and store in the basement when it's not needed. Or maybe you can get a coffee table with additional seating tucked under it, they're not that expensive and it would fit better into the space.

• choclot

I know, les. Strange, but true. :-)

I thought of putting a couch opposite the fireplace, but it would seriously block the doorway. Here's an old pic that shows the opening to the room.

Is it your thought that the couch should go? I'm just thinking two chairs might block it as much as the couch. My kids hang out in this room quite a bit, so I'm thinking it would have to be some sort of a recliner to maximize comfort.

I actually had the couch on the wall where the TV is and had the TV in front of the fireplace. I love the layout of the room this way, but didn't like the TV blocking the fireplace. I really wish I could just bite the bullet and move the TV out of this room entirely. Would immediately solve my problems. Unfortunately, that's not a realist option.

I was very tempted today to just move the couch out and sacrifice the extra seating until I could come up with a working solution. It seems this may be the way to go for now.

• polly929

Here is what I would do, and it is just a suggestion.

Although I love your leather sofa, it's scale seems too large for the room. The scale of the green sofa is better, but it's still just a sofa.
    I would get a smalle scale sectional with the left side being shorter and right side longer and put it on the wall where the TV is. Move the TV to where the brown sectional is. Where the bookcase is I would put a comfortable chair or small recliner, it would not face the TV, but rather face the fireplace. And on the otherside of the TV stand, another matching chair. I would get a tufted ottoman with a tray as a coffee table, and use it for extra seating when needed.

In a perfect world we would all have an endless budget and be able to do this, so this may not be an option if you have budget constraints. However, if you have a long-term plan and you think they might work for you, perhaps you can slowly start making the changes I suggested and eventually get there in the future.

• Oakley

How many people do you need to seat? Putting the sofa there is still blocking the door and you don't like blocking doors.

When I looked at your picture my eye's immediately went to the sofa. I think any sofa you put there would stick out, and your room is to pretty for that.

If it was my room I would cover the entire left door with two heavy panels to give the impression it's a wall with a window. Of course you wouldn't be using the door anyway. The door is just hogging up valuable space.

In your situation I'd move the TV to the mantel. I wouldn't put another sofa on the tv wall, but two chairs, end table and lamp would look nice.

• les917

I knew the half wall was there, but by pushing the leather couch down to the fireplace, I assumed the other couch would sit away from the opening when placed at a right angle to the leather couch, so that you would have walk space behind it.

Just wondering if you have considered removing that half wall? It doesn't seem to give you any benefit, just cuts down the LR/DR space.

As another solution, if the best place for the second couch is in front of the fireplace, I would hang a curtain rod from the ceiling, and have a center panel that covers the wall area of the fireplace, and two side panels that you push back to the wall on either side, so that the area looks like one large window, with the doors as a side window.

You could also hang the rod high up on the wall, but you will need to use extensions so that the rod stands out away from the wall to clear the mantel.

Get the little bookcase and lamp out of the corner so that you can move the leather couch closer to the room opening, and put it over on the other half wall. Then get a floor lamp or end table and lamp to put between the two couches, down in front of the left hand door. It will give you more light in the room, which you definitely need, too.

• marcolo

if the best place for the second couch is in front of the fireplace,

There is no conceivable situation in which that can be true.

• choclot

Polly,
    Unfortunately, totally new furniture isn't in my budget. I also don't want to do a sectional, because I find them a bit awkward for socializing. Plan on getting one in the basement because I associate sectionals with comfort and lounging. :-) I really wish I could put the TV on the wall where my brown couch is, but I'd still be faced with the same seating dilemma. The extra seating isn't just for when we entertain. We're a family of six, so I need seating that will work for every day use.

Oakley,
    Although I don't use the left door, it provides much needed natural light during the day. I really crave natural light! My fireplace is a bit high up, so putting a TV on top will require us to look up. A friend of mine's as a TV over her fireplace that's at about the same height and I sometimes get a head/neck ache when I watch for too long. I wish the fireplace mantel sat lower....it would definitely work then.

Les, I moved the couch according to your comment. Thoughts? BTW...can't take out half wall. We're renting, so homeowners wouldn't be too happy about that. :-)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I'm thinking at this point that one couch is all this room can stand for now. Sigh....

• choclot

I've decided to remove the green sofa, so the room now looks like the first pic. Any ideas on extra seating and where to put it?

• les917

I see you moved the couch, and it could sit there, but that is not what I had suggested. Perhaps I didn't explain it too well.

I suggested moving the leather couch down toward the fireplace. Remove the bookcase and lamp and move them over to the half wall area, for some light on that side of the room. Put the velvet couch at a right angle to the leather couch, back to the dining room. I think that if you have moved the leather couch down, it should allow room behind the green couch to walk around it in the direct of the half wall to get into the space. Of course you will need to move the tv down toward the fireplace as well.

The other option you have might be to move the tv and angle the cabinet and tv in the corner spanning the half wall, and put the green couch on the wall where the tv was, but of course down a bit toward the right hand door.

• loribee

You can hang the Tv over the fp using the appropriate piece that angles down. That is what we used, thus avoiding neck strain. Then you can use your second couch or try 2 small scale chairs.

• enailes

Have you tried switching them, the green sofa against the wall and the leather sofa placed with its back to the kitchen?

• rafor

You said you had a family room in the basement that didn't get used much. What if you moved the TV down there. Would the family then use the family room? You could then have a comfy sitting room upstairs with 2 sofas.

If you leave the TV in this room and need 2 sofas, seems the only logical place for the TV is over the fireplace. Otherwise the only other idea I like is les917's idea of covering the fireplace wall entirely in drapes and putting the TV in front of that. I think what looks so bad about the sofa in front of the fireplace is that you can still see the fireplace and it looks really bad partially covered up.

I understand your dilemna. I have a house with 8 fireplaces and each room also has several doors and several windows so furniture placement is a challenge :) We just went through a similar mind game when installing a large TV in one of the rooms. I personally can do without a huge TV, but it seems men can't.

• graywings123

The fireplace lovers here will shudder to read this, but . . .

You could put the TV in front of the fireplace, which would cover most of it. You could go further and box over the mantle with some drywall painted the same color as the wall. You would not even need to attach it to the wall or fireplace.

• kswl2

Eithe mount the tv over the fp or move it downstairs.

• ellendi

The couch on the half wall is not terrible. In looking at your room, it looks like you have an ottoman next to the tv. A chair could fit on the side of the half wall. One or two other chairs (small scale) can fit flanking the fireplace. You can check out TJMAX, Marshalls, those type store that have greaat deals on furniture but you have to be lucky.
    I wouldn't stress out over this. When we need extra seating in our living room, we just pull over the dining room chairs. Seating for six more!

• erinsean

Glad you took the one couch out...When budget allows, two chairs with a table between them in the corner backed up to the dining room...one would sort of stick out in the doorway but that shouldn't matter. I would put a table and lamp where you have the little bookcase and maybe a floor lamp at the other end of the couch (near the fireplace) A coffee table with storage (thinking a trunk of chest of some sort) or use two of your ottomans for seating...kids usually love the floor or ottoman's for watching TV and as someone said...bring in your dining room chairs when you have company.

• anele_gw

Have not read all of the replies . . .

(1) If your basement is nice enough, consider moving the TV downstairs. If you were going to get new furniture for the basement, think about moving the sofas you have now (or the brown one, anyway, since it's big for the room) and get new smaller-scale furniture for this room instead of the sectional. Put in bookcases instead of the TV as the activity. I have a TV in two places in the house, but one place is the "quiet" room so the TV is off most of the time in there, and the kids can read or talk instead.

(2)If you want to leave the TV upstairs, would it fit against one of the little half walls? Would a smaller TV fit there? I'd put it on the wall where the green sofa is, because that one would not block the TV. OR, you could get a corner TV stand, and put it in the corner by the half wall, if it fits.

• anele_gw

Ha, ha! This is what I get for reading late at night-- I dreamt I went to your house!

Anyway, I had an idea about putting the TV against the half wall. First, would it work on the other wall (can't tell if it's a half wall, too) that leads from the DR?

If the half wall works, then I would get a room divider. That way, the TV wouldn't be sticking out over the top of the half wall.

If it works there, then (for now) you could put each sofa against the walls, facing each other.

• choclot

Just wanted to update this post again to say that I moved the couch back in today. The room just felt really bare and impersonal without it! And sharing 1 couch when we all like to stretch out and lay down wasn't working.

So, I brought it back in but put the TV in front of the fireplace like Les suggested. I actually had it this way before, but changed the layout when I bought my Christmas tree. I just never put it back. I will look into options to cover the fireplace entirely because I like the layout of the room better this way.

Will now work on getting some lighter curtains for the doors to bring in more color and also figure out how to hide my phone/TV cords better. The ottomans have seen better days and they will be replaced soon....they'll work for now because they're purely decorative. I'm going to buy some throw pillows and replace the wood that's in the basket by the TV cabinet. And I'm going to bring up my matching floor lamp that's currently in my family basement room. I'm back at figuring out wall art, but I'm going to try to add something to the walls too.

I also plan on buying a couch to go in the library since I moved this green couch back in. I'm open to buying a couch that will suit this room better if something else will work better. If you all have any recs based on the pictures, feel free to share. Thanks again for all of the great feedback!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• cheetachyk732

Put a small backless couch in front of fireplace, and tv on the right wall...

• erinsean

If you are buying a new sofa then why not buy one for this room...somewhat matching either of the ones you have. If you like the green one...get something matching. If you like the leather...get something matching. Then put your old sofa in the other room where it was. I would like to see an ottoman/coffee table in the room. Lamps/end tables, floor lamp...Accessories. Now, as for the drapes. Now about extending the drapes from over the left doorway, over the fireplace (behind the TV) and extending over to the right door. If you get tab top drapes or rings, you can open up the drapes on the left door to get more light or leave it straight down. Tie backs look a little off here IMHO.

• Christina Hix

Hang the TV above the mantel then you will free up the wall for the other couch.