workingmomx3

Water Softener: Kinetico vs. Ecowater vs Culligan and other ???

workingmomx3
October 1, 2007

Hello all,

I have read through many of the previous responses to questions about water softeners. There is some very knowledgeable people here and I hope they can provide me with some assistance.

After reading this forum, I understand that I've overlooked the first step in my search for a water softener: a water analysis. I'll get one done, if I can convince my husband. Moving on from there, I already have estimates from three companies selling Kinetico, Ecowater and Culligan water softeners. Each local retailer has a long history of service in the area, at least 20+ years. Each of the systems have been installed in various homes in the neighborhood and all the homeowners are pleased with their systems. However, most simply picked a company out of the phone book and went with one. Also, most did not compare systems, or if they did, they simply went with the cheapest. Bottom line, they are all happy with their systems, so they don't worry about them.

What are your thoughts about the following systems (all prices include installation):

Kinetico - $3950 ($2796 w/o R/O unit)

DECHLOR1060 Upflow Dechlorinator, CAH10MB Filter Housing, K2040 Water Softener, KRO+DX Deluxe R/O Drinking Water System w/tank, and 5MS 5 micron sediment filter

Ecowater - $3398 ($2449 w/o R/O unit)

ERR 3500 water refining system, ERO 375 R/O (also quoted the ESD 2500 at $1749, or $700 less than the ERR 3500)

Culligan - $2352 ($2053 w/o R/O unit)

Culligan Gold Series (10"), Good Water Machine

If I were to look at price only, I would go with either the cheaper Ecowater system w/R/O at $2698 or the Culligan system. At almost $4k, the Kinetico system seems greatly over priced. But is it? I don't know if I'm comparing apples vs. oranges. And the vendors don't give you much to go on to compare specs. And then there are the stories that Culligan will more than make up their $$ because they require expensive house calls to change filters (you can't purchase your own and DIY).

Would anyone care to share your thoughts or recommendations?

Some additional background: There are 5 people living here (1 teenager! who showers at least 2x's per day). Our water provider switched to a different well and the hardness has increased to about 18 grains.

I have numerous houseplants which will be a concern if I don't put in the R/O, correct?

I seldom do exterior watering except for occasional deep root watering of a few trees. However, I plan to put some additional beds for privacy at the rear of my lot. There will be large trees/shrubs that will require much watering to be established. None of the vendors mentioned bypassing the exterior hose bibs until I asked. Also, one suggested using potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride to eliminate the need to bypass the exterior hose bibs and for the house plants. Another insisted that potassium choloride would cause a sludge build-up. Who am I to believe?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

• justalurker

kathyross,

Always best to start a new thread with your question. Hanging a new question on to a years old thread complicates searches.

It would help a lot if you mentioned what model Kinetico you have, your water conditions, and the # of people in the house.

When there's no salt in the brine tank the water in there can't dissolve the salt to make brine. No brine = no soft water. you can regenerate 100 times but with no brine you'll keep getting hard water.

Kinetico softeners use the "setting" of the float assembly in the brine tank to determine the amount of water in there and that volume of water determines the salt dose for regeneration. Each gallon of water dissolves 3 lbs of salt.

When you were fiddling around in the brine tank it's possible that you disturbed the "setting" of the float.

Try this, there should be enough salt in the brine tank to cover the water at the bottom. Add a couple gallons of water to the brine tank and wait a couple hours.

After a couple hours, do a manual regeneration. After the regeneration is done add a couple gallons of water to the brine tank and wait a couple hours. If possible, don't use and water in the house during that two hour wait.

Check that the salt is covering the water at the bottom.

After waiting two hours, with as little or no water use, do another manual regeneration.

Check that the salt is covering the water at the bottom and check once a week to keep the salt covering the water.

You should have soft water now but remember, the water heater is filled with hard water and it will take time to use that up.

If you still have a problem call the Kinetico dealer that did your install and tell them what you did... they'll charge you for a service call but consider it tuition.

• lishonator_msn_com

"Hard water is water that is full of minerals that are GOOD for you and drinking distilled water (reverse osmosis) denies your body of a major source of minerals your body needs. It is better for you to drink hard water than RO water."

Actually, hard water contains inorganic minerals which are not absorbed by the body and can cause gall stones and other health problems. The body can only absorb organic minerals, such as those in plants.

Read this article: http://www.suite101.com/content/minerals-in-drinking-water-a30423

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Vs. Inorganic Minerals in Drinking Water

• healthnow_glis_cc

Hi, for years we had a Kinetico and loved it. But, pricy. Echowater dealer offered softner/R/o combination for $2200. Does anyone have feedback on this?

• rjh2o

Cheap is CHEAP. Why would you switch to an inferior product when the Kinetico served you so well for so many years. You could even buy a Fleck 9100 twin tank and RO for about $2400 installed.
    RJ

• justalurker

Joanne,

"... for years we had a Kinetico and loved it"

There is no better feedback than that.

An ECOwater softener won't do a better job. It is a single resin tank softener and does not provide soft water 24/7 as the Kinetico does and you will be tied to the ECOwater dealer for parts and service as you are tied to the Kinetico dealer now but you have experience with the Kinetico dealer and the ECOwater dealer is an unknown commodity.

If the Kinetico has done it's job reliably and now needs service or a repair or rebuild amortize that cost over the next so many years of reliable service and enjoy your soft water. You've already bought into a high quality product so sit back and enjoy the benefits of your original investment.

• asolo

If you're saying you HAVE Kinetico and are considering replacing it, I'd advise rebuild plus resin replacement instead of making a switch. It will cost 1/10 of what you're considering spending on an inferior unit and it will make it just like new again. They will do everything. You won't have to do anything. I did this a few years ago with a couple of 16-year-old Kinetico units I own which is why I don't hesitate to recommend the service.

• CulliganGirl86

In terms of full disclosure let me start off by saying that I work at a Culligan dealership.

While reading through these posts I noticed several things that should be addressed. The first being a statement made by the original poster. I'm not sure which Culligan dealership you were working with but you are able to purchase your RO filters and replace them yourself. Our servicemen are happy to instruct customers on how to do so.

Many of the previous posts all mention how great their Kinetico unit is. We have SEVERAL customers that have a Kinetico unit and have us conduct the service and maintence on those units. They also have had the same technology for over 30 years. Culligan continues to evolve and now offers the most efficient unit on the market today.

Previous posts also discuss price for a new unie, while Culligan can be a little more expensive, you are paying for quality. We have many customers that have had their units for over 20 years and are making their fist service call. We also offer many discounts if you purchase a total system (softener, RO and filter) or trade in your old unit. There are also several rental options available.

• justalurker

"Previous posts also discuss price for a new unie, while Culligan can be a little more expensive, you are paying for quality. We have many customers that have had their units for over 20 years and are making their fist service call. We also offer many discounts if you purchase a total system (softener, RO and filter) or trade in your old unit. There are also several rental options available"

With respect CulliganGirl, that statement can be true of any proprietary softener manufacturer whether Culligan or Kinetico or Hague or ECOwater or... and it is rarely a little more expensive than an industry standard softener. It is usually two to three times the price or higher and sometimes for pretty much the same hardware.

Satisfaction with any purchase, not just water treatment, is based on the performance of the product and the dealer-manufacturer.

The fact that customers are captives of the local dealer is only a problem when a product needs repair and the dealer's service in unsatisfactory or less than professional or the customer want parts and tech info to do it themselves and the dealer refuses to supply them or charges exorbitant prices.

In those instances there is little to no help at the corporate level for the customer as the manufacturer hides behind the each dealer is privately owned and we can't intercede in that dealer's sales area. They can run their business however they see fit... regardless of how poorly it reflects on the product and the manufacturer. And what they don't tell the customer... as long as their sales numbers meet our goals and their market share meets or exceeds our expectations.

This is not unique to water treatment... my local John Deere dealer is every bit the price gouging jerk that the local Culligan and Kinetico dealers are and all three provide poor service and charge through the nose for it while refusing to sell just the parts or technical information with the exception of the John Deere dealer who will sell you a service manual on CD for just under $100 and all the parts you want at suggested retail PLUS and adds shipping charges for items he should have in stock in the first place.

• Keyleas_keep_yahoo_com

We have had our Kinetico system for two years now. I DO NOT recommend this company for anyone especially if you have a well . It was not installed correctly, we have had to add numerous items at great cost to make it perform correctly. The exterior pipes were not bypassed so any exterior watering necessary has the treated salts going back into the ground. It is a constant maintenance at great cost.

• justalurker

D Conner,

Just to keep things accurate... "... the treated salts going back into the ground"

There are NO treated salts in soft water. There is no salt added to water in the ion exchange softening process. There is no more salt in softened water than there was before the water was softened.

Sodium or potassium ions are exchanged into the water to remove hardness during the ion exchange (softening) process but that is not salt.

Not bypassing the exterior plumbing when installing a softener is common when retro fitting a softener in an existing home and there is nothing wrong about that. Most softener installations in existing homes are that way. If you wanted to bypass the outside plumbing then you should have brought that to the attention of the softener company right from the beginning of your communication with them and certainly BEFORE you agreed to the purchase.

Living on a well is much different from living on a municipal water system and often requires complicated and expensive water treatment hardware along with routine maintenance by the homeowner or the dealer and that is just reality. If that was not explained to you before you signed on the dotted line then the dealer was remiss in their sales presentation.

That does not mean that you are not justly dissatisfied with the water treatment hardware, installation, or service you have received from that dealer and you should pursue that with that dealer to resolve the problems you believe you have. If the dealer doesn't give you satisfaction then contact the manufacturer and ultimately you may have to take the dealer to small claims court.

These problems can not be blamed on Kinetico. You have found a dealer who should have done a better job before the sale in explaining what you needed, how it would be installed, and what the maintenance requirements would be, and you should have done some (more) homework before shopping for water treatment. You are in a large boat with a lot of company... ;-)

• Philip Labe

These prices are quite impressive. My water district supplies water tested at 7 gpg. There are two adults in my house with normal water usage rates.

I bought a $400 WHES304 Whirlpool water softener from Lowe's for $400 and had my plumber install it. He bypassed all the outside hose bibs except for one near the driveway as I wanted soft water for washing my car.

It works great. I guess I could replace my water softener 4 or 5 times and still pay less than the systems quoted here. Sure, the twin tank system is better on paper but a 2 AM regen is perfectly fine with me if I can save over $1000.

• healthy_guy

I've done a lot of research in finding the right system and company to install a softener in my home. You would not believe how much Culligan, Water Depot, Ecowater and all other big name companies mark up their prices on their water softeners. Not to mention their warranties are very limited and usually in the 1 to 5 year range.

I found a company here in Ontario that has really good prices on water softerners with really good warranties. Their Chlor-a-soft unit softens water AND removes chlorine from your city water. Their prices are very good and their warranties are amazing. For the chlor-a-soft it's a 20 year warranty on all parts (not just the tank or head valve unit). Excalubur Water Systems manufactures them and have been in business for almost 15 years.

The company I got my softener and RO from is Waterwork Company. URL is posted below (http://www.waterworkcompany.com). They have a promotion right now for a Chlor-A-Soft 32k grain water softener and 5-stage Reverse Osmosis for $1250 plus tax. And this includes installation, 20-year warranty and free service in Ontario.

If you live outside of their installation area they can sell and ship you the unit for a discount, but you will either have to install it yourself or arrange for a local plumber to install it for you. If you have the unit shipped to you, they include a self-installation kit with manual. The installation kit comes with all the pex fittings and parts to easily do the installation yourself without the need to do any soldering with copper, or crimping with pex.

Hope this helps some people save money and buy a quality unit that is actually better built and more efficient than the big companies that sell their units at ridiculous prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: WaterWork Company

• James Martinez

Greetings! I am a new member and this is my first posting.

I was quoted $4295 for the ERR3500R20 installed via Costco membership that includes a $500 Costco gift card. I live in Orange County, California and I am wondering if I am being overcharged for the unit. Previous postings show the unit priced at $2449 installed.

Thank you in advance for your response.

• justalurker

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum.

Your question will get the attention it deserves when you >b>start a new thread rather than resurrect a 5 year old thread.

In short, the first question is whether that softener is adequate to treat your water. Without knowing your water conditions and water usage there is no correct answer let alone is that softener priced right?

• hawaiianhillbilly

I wanted to post a new thread, but for some reason the gardenweb wouldn't let me.

We moved into a house in '05 that had a Culligan softener from previous owner.

We've ALWAYS had trouble with iron and sulfur odor, and have had Culligan do about 4 service calls since we've been here. Last year, we were told that the bladder of our water tank had burst, so we replaced it. This did NOT stop the iron/sulfur probs. Now the Culligan guy says we should get a Culligan WaterRight system for $2500. We've also researched a LindySpringSystem for about the same. My question is, these both seem to be pricey, and the last recomendation didn't pan out (much to our dismay and pained pocketbooks). What is the general advise for this?

Is there any info on removing iron and/or sulfur?

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding

There are numerous threads - do a search on the bottom of the plumbing page for iron and you will find them. Once you've read a bit, come back and ask specific questions.

Complete water analysis is critical before making a decision about iron/sulfur removal from water. A certified lab can do the analysis. You need to know: pH, TDS, hardness, ferric iron, ferrous iron, manganese, sulfates, H2S, nitrates.

Here are some options in a nutshell:

1) Softener: A softener with specialty resin is capable of removing dissolved iron, up to 7 ppm (mg/L) but asking a softener to remove iron at those upper limits is really pushing it so I would not recommend this method. In addition, a softener would become plugged if you have particulate iron. Additionally, a softener will only work if you first remove the sulfur, so is not a good option as a stand-alone treatment.

2) Oxidation/Filtration: An oxidizer such as ozone, air, or chlorine may be used to react with the iron and force it to become particulate iron that can then be removed via filtration. A typical setup would involve the oxidizing unit, a holding tank, then a media filter. This type of system is not something your typical homeowner will be able to maintain themselves - you would want a water treatment pro that you trust.

3) Oxidizing filtration media: This type of treatment consists of a sealed tank filled with one of several media. Water passes through and is oxidized and filtered by the media. These are relatively easy to operate and what I would recommend for the average homeowner. There are basically three different media that can be used:

a) manganese greensand: water runs through for treatment. The media must be regenerated with potassium permanganate (care must be taken with dealing with potassium permanganate as it readily dies organic material, such as your skin, a purple-brown color)

b) birm: This media acts as a catalyst to force oxidation of iron. While it does not need to be regenerated, it does need fairly high dissolved oxygen in the water. If you water does not have adequate dissolved oxygen (and it probably doesn't since it is well water), air injection would be necessary.

c) pyrolox: an ore that oxidized then filters the iron out. It does not need regeneration, but needs to be backwashed (to rinse out the iron) at a high rate, 25 - 30 gallons per square foot. This is my personal preferrence, but understand that the backwash rate is critical.

d) terminox; very similar to pyrolox, but uses a much more reasonable amount of water for backwash.

• joeinvestor

I'm really surprised at the (high) cost of the Kinetico/Ecowater/Culligan water softeners.

Our household is at a crossroads now as our 26+ year old water softener has a stuck brine valve, and I've called the local water softener dealer who is also a Kinetico dealer.
    This water softener was purchased as a former rental unit so I don't know how old it actually is but it has served our family well.
    Given the very high price of these units, I'm thinking it might be more cost effective to purchase and install a Myers Water Ace which can be had for around $750. I doubt we would save anything with a Kinetico over its lifespan.
    For the record, we are on city water and our hardness is 6 GPG.
    If we were on well water, I think the Kinetico would be more suitable.
    Does anyone have any experience with the Myers Water Ace water softeners?

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding

If you are going to DIY install anyway, look around on the internet. You can get a MUCH better softener for the same price as the dreadful box store variety. If you would like assistance with sizing and programming, you will need to provide some information:

1. Water analysis. Since you are on city water, you can get their quarterly reports. They won't be exactly what you have at your house, but are a good start. Water can pick up a few things along the way to your home, particularly iron (which makes a big difference in softener sizing)

2. How many people in your home? Do have frequent over-night guests, or expect the population of your home to increase or decrease in the next few years?

3. If your city provides you with a bill that includes the amount of water you use each month, what is the average usage?

4. Any fixtures that use a large amount of water, such as a jetted tub or multi-head shower?

• justalurker

Joe,

Kinetico, Culligan, and the other national brand softeners are priced high... no doubt about it. You'll also be marrying the local dealer for parts and service cause there are no third party alternatives and they will charge you for the privilege of owning their hardware. Good product but not necessarily better than industry standard hardware except in some unique circumstances.

IIRC the Meyer's softeners are industry standard softeners not the typical box store disposable softeners. I recall they are sold through some Lowes in some marketing areas. I think they use Fleck or Clack control valves which are first rate. I'd investigate them before crossing them off your list.

You might want to hit the Yellow Pages under "water treatment" and look for local companies that don't purvey a BRAND NAME. They are independent water treatment companies and will be selling industry standard softeners and should be reasonable in price and offer service and a warranty that's worth something.

If I could buy an industry standard softener at a comparable price to the net locally from someone I can look in the eye who will stand behind what they sell I wouldn't be in a big hurry to order one online with no service to speak of.

• goodgarden

Hello,

It is good to hear about these prices on water softenersin this discussion. I have been curious about the prices on these ones:

http://www.searchwaterfilters.com/water-softener.php
    http://www.searchwaterfilters.com/culligan/water-softener.php

Here is a link that might be useful: water softener

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding

Wow, goodgarden. That site you linked is just dreadful. It is full of incorrect information, written by folks that have little understanding of water treatment.

• phyoung1326

I have just been quoted $3650 for a kinetico with r/o system. I will make sure to leave my outside hoses unsoftened per previous posts suggest. My water quality analysis deems I need to soften the water. I am definitely capable of DIY but don't know where to get a quality product in my region near Erie pa. Anyone have suggestions on a product to soften my water at a much lower upfront and long term cost? The culligan and ecowater are also unavailable as DIY set ups.

• majsterkowicz

Hello,

I am looking for a new water softener and before I purchase one I would like to learn, educate myself on those devices.
    The more I read about water softeners the more I am confused.

Here are voice for Kinetic, because for some it works and voices against it, because it seems like another marriage to get into. Two marriages at the same time don't work.

Noticed one thing. Nobody mentions water softeners from Sears, as an example.
    Don't they do the job which they supposed to do?

• Bullet777

To Alice in Wonderland...

Just a quick note. The carbon in an EcoWater refiner is NOT mixed with the resin bed; it is separated inside the unit.

• Bullet777

To 'Smarge' re: Hard water is water that is full of minerals that are GOOD for you and drinking distilled water (reverse osmosis) denies your body of a major source of minerals your body needs. It is better for you to drink hard water than RO water.

There are three points in this paragraph which are categorically untrue.

1. the minerals in hard water are NOT good for you; they are inorganic and our bodies cannot assimilate them

2. distilled and R/O water are not the same

3. it is absolutely NOT better for you to drink hard water, than R/O water

By the way, your miele dishwasher will work just fine on soft water, with a pure soap product designed for use on conditioned water (much less expensive than store brands)

• Glowplugv

It think there is some mis-information about Ecowater systems. I was in Costco and picked up the brochure on the ECR-3502. It is a two tank system (salt storage and resin tanks). There is no carbon in it. There is an under-bedding of washed quartz to aid in the regeneration cycle. It has mixed layer of fine and standard size resin. The timer function is based on an algorithm that tracks water usage and sets up regeneration schedules to match it. It has a wifi remote which can send email and text messages including excessive water usage. This WIFI remote can also monitor a reverse osmosis system if you install it too. My water hardness is 22 grains which fits easily into the top treatment range of 60 grains for this model. I looked up the reports on Angie's List for the local Kinetico and Ecowater distributors. The Ecowater distributor over the last two years had all "A" ratings. The local Kinetico distributor had 17% F grades. I think any of these units will work well for you but you really need to look at the quality of the vendor in your area before you make any decision.

• grantpremier

At Ecowater

Our single and two tank water softening systems remove calcium, magnesium, sediment, and iron from the water. Removing these hard-water elements will ensure a quality experience in your family's water consumption.

For more info please see

http://ecowaterorlando.com/info/

• biermech

You didn't mention the repeated service calls that they will have using an EcoWater system. I was a service mgr for an Eco dealer and I hated the fact that I was the one dealing with the customers after the sale trying the explain why they had trouble but their neighbor that bought a Fleck never had problems.

• gnewcss1

I just have to say that after reading all of these comments, I feel that I am back to square one! I suppose we all have our preferences, but I have owned a Culligan water softener for about 30 years, we have very hard well water, we have never had a service call, the outside water was bypassed without any pre-ordering and we have not had one bit of trouble from it until recently. It has quit working properly and we are looking to buy another softener, we did consider the idea of having it reconditioned, but I feel with technology they have most certainly made strides to a better unit by now and feel that it is best to buy a new one. I have read through these comments and although I feel it may be cheaper to go to my local Lowe's or Home Depot to purchase one, we have been well served by Culligan and will probably go back and buy from them! Thanks to everyone for their imput.

• homedude3

Taking the risk of resurrecting an ancient thread here, but this is a good thread. There are some good comments here; I even see evidence of continued growth in knowledge/experience/opinions among the more active here, which is also good. My requirements are that I would rather hire and depend on a local experienced dealer/service department for a proper install, and I want a dealer who will be around 25 years from now. I have confidence in my local Kinetico dealer. I know the owner, and the previous owner, and I like the way they do business. So I can't agree more with lurker in that for people who don't want to maintain their own system, the most important question is "dealer, dealer, dealer".

If I put a system together myself, then I'm responsible for it, including any hardness breakthroughs that damage my RO system, or any mistakes I make. and even though I may be able to find a $100 replacement controller board today, for example, that does not mean I'll be able to find it 25 years from now for that price when the designs change and new softeners use different boards.

I also wanted to temper the enthusiasm for bypassing outdoor faucets: the real risk you take in watering plants with sodium ions depends on the plants and upon the hardness of your water (harder water means more sodium). I've been watering front yard plants for 25 years and haven't lost a one, due to sodium poisoning. I asked the Kinetico installer to plumb the front faucet soft to advantage car washings... 25 years later I'm still happy with that decision.

• Natte Scott

I was quoted nearly $1900 for the Kinetico 2030s dual tank system. Seems reasonable, but these are pricey units i guess. No electricity, which seems ok but old school.

• celticson

If your daughter/son is taking two showers per day, she/he is doing irreparable harm to their skin and they will have wrinkles 50 years before schedule.

• Jake The Wonderdog

It's ok, the post is almost 10 years old now so the teenager is grown and probably graduated college by now.

• debiosburn

I am doing my own research on whole house filters and undersink units and the local company carries ecosmart. We have city water in Florida that now has chlorimine and chlorine which makes it even more of a challenge. All the health gurus are preaching clean filtered mineral water over RO drinking water. What I have found is to have a local distributor they know the water they are dealing with but also believe in what they are selling. Everybody is an expert but everyone is right so who do you believe? It seems to me that most of the people that have problems have well water but those with city have the chlorimines and heavy metals....you would think by now if it was made easier to pay for the extra filtration that the cities aren't doing they would make it advantages for us to do it ourselves.....more people would do .....but it's so hard to believe anyone and the science behind our water and what their standards for us are.

• Jake The Wonderdog

Rather than jump on to the end of a 10 year old post with an unrelated post, why not start a new thread. If there's a specific question, someone might be able to help you.

• mrymadonna719

GREAT IDEA. I have a kinetico with the drinking water filter system and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone. My drinking water is a 6 whatever the parts per is, bottled water is at least 15. I water my plants with no issues. 6 bags of salt lasts me 8-9 months. Changing the filter is a piece of cake...UTUBE it. My water filters need to be changed every 3 years. I have a well so my water had very high rust. I have no issues anymore. Good luck with your choice.

• Jake The Wonderdog

umm... so a person creates a account to make a glowing review on a 10 year old thread and that is their only comment. This looks like spam to me.

• Tommy D.
    I just had someone from Nuvia come to test my tap water and here are the results:

- TDS: 490 PPM
    - Chlorine: 0.5%
    - Hardness: 16 GPG

He pitched two systems:

Nuvia Signature (single tank + Clarity RO) - $4995

Nuvia Pro (double tank + Clarity RO) - $5995

Does anybody have any experience with them? It is significantly more expensive than all the systems discussed so far, but maybe you really do get what you pay for in this instance. They also throw in a 5-year supply of natural soap/cleaning supplies (no water softeners added) and a lifetime warranty.
  • Jake The Wonderdog

Tommy, start a new thread. This one is 12 years old.

Here's a clue:
    Do you need RO? (probably not).
    What does a good softener cost? (About $600)

• Tommy D.
    Thanks, I didn't notice the date lol.
  • Paul Acovio

I’ve been to several water softener businesses in San Antonio. between Culligan, Kinetico, eco water, puronics, and reionator. Seems puronics And reionator have the best whole home systems from the presentations I’ve received. ecowater guy focused on saving money on soap, Culligan focused on brand name and business, Kinetico focused on saving energy cuz it isn’t plugged in. the puronics reionator sellers were both very informative on what their units do, and how they are different from other brands and what they are the same in. I’ve never heard of reionator and the puronics it said that’s what nasa uses. Anyone know if these are reputabl? i can’t seem to find reviews on either puronics or reionator.

• debiosburn

Good luck....

• Jake The Wonderdog

Paul Acovio

This thread is from 2007. Start a new one... please!
    Note that Kinetico's focus on "not being plugged in" is pretty silly. The power required is about as much as an alarm clock.

Also note that a good quality water softener is about $600 and that's all most people need.

I'm in South Carolina and I was approached by a Eco water salesman at Costco. The home water lifetime filtration system including installation and a 500 dollar cash Costco card cost $6999. With lifetime service. What's wrong with package? I want good drinking water and good water throughout the house. I'm confused with all that I've read.

• Jake The Wonderdog

Please start a new thread - this is from 2007.

What's wrong with the package is that it's $7000, it's mostly snake oil, and I suspect that you aren't fully understanding what 'lifetime service" means (guessing that it doesn't include everything you think it does).

• Pam Begoske

Trying to decide whether or not to purchase a Kinetico system. $6000. Is a lot of money

• Jake The Wonderdog

Let me help you with that... No, you don't want to.

• Jean Holroyd-Sills

In the "Other" category of this thread, " Water Softener: Kinetico vs. Ecowater vs Culligan and other???" we wonder whether Kinetico or Rayne systems would best suit our situation. We have a well with a low flow and storage tank to provide enough water for simultaneous showers and landscape watering. This excellent thread would indicate that I want to bypass my outside faucets and contract with a reliable dealer for continuing service. In this case both local dealers have excellent reputations for service. So can anyone on this blog advise me about Rayne vs Kinetico? How do they differ and what advantages/disadvantages should I consider?

• Jake The Wonderdog

You are tagging on to a 12 year old thread.
    It's good to start a new one. Seriously.

• jarchazk

Water filter systems