Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaansu

is an ipe deck installation different from other woods???

jaansu
11 years ago

I'm talking to a couple of deck contractors in eastern PA who have not previously installed ipe. Besides knowing that holes need to be predrilled, am I taking a risk in having someone working with ipe for the first time replacing the old PT deck I have? Does the wood have other traits that might fool someone the first time they work with it?

For whatever reason, not much ipe around here and I may need to hire someone who will learn on my deck. What should I look out for? Is there a recommended gap if it is being screwed down?

Comments (6)

• aidan_m
    11 years ago

Yes. Don't pay someone for their learning curve. You will regret it.

Deck building is not rocket science, and if a contractor tells you straight up he is not experienced working with a certain material, he is out of his comfort zone. The builder who disclaims liability at the time of proposal is not someone I would consider. Unless the contractor is a master carpenter who does the majority of the work with his own hands, the final product will reflect the workers' lack of experience. You definitely don't want a CREW of inexperienced Ipe builders learning (butchering) all the expensive material.

• jaansu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Aidan. This contractor also gave me an estimate of $6000 for installing ~1000 linear ft on a deck that I would have already demoed and left ready for installation. I would buy the ipe and take care of after installation treatment. I don't have the other estimates yet, but am I wrong that the installation would take about a day? Seems much higher than I expected but I would like to hear if others think this is in the ballpark.

• aidan_m
    11 years ago

Heck, for $6K, I'll travel out from California, demo the existing decking, haul it to the dump, buy the correct screws, install the Ipe, buy the correct finish, and put on two coats before I go back to Cali. That would be a good $4K profit for a week's work.

What do ya say?

• jaansu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally got another bid for $900, him and a helper, two days, but he has not worked with ipe before. But if holes are predrilled, ends waxed and just face screwing the wood to the existing joists, can anything else really go very wrong? He was recommended by a neighbor so not likely to be a total hack job.

I guess I'm wondering if I am being too focused on ipe being that different to work with.

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

Here's the deal, from my perspective. I put in a garapa deck (same install method as ipe) DIY and managed fine on my own, first time. If I can do it, there's no reason a pro couldn't do a great job on his first project either. I don't think experience is as important as a willingness to learn and to take the time to do it right (pre-drill, plug, etc.)

BTW, the other characteristic of the wood that's different is that because of the density of the wood makes it a bit harder to straighten than PT. Nothing that a girl with a BoWrench can't handle, but it is a bit more temperamental in that regard.

As for timing, IIRC, once I got in my groove, I think I averaged about 15 minutes per 16' board, including setting, pre-drilling, and screwing (not plugging), with framing 16" OC. A little longer when I had to rip down, or cut around posts, of course.