mikec_dsm

Ipe Deck Questions

mikec_dsm
April 8, 2007

Ipe Deck Questions

I have read through many of the post already placed and they are just a wealth of information. I wish I would have used this site when we were building our house 3 years ago as it would have solved problems we are having today. Here are my questions.

1. I have called 5 deck contractors and most of them deal with PT, cedar or composite decks. Not one of them uses Ipe. I live in Northeast PA. Should I keep looking or ask the guy I think does the best work to use Ipe? IÂm a hobbyist woodworker so if I can get them to build the frame how hard is it the install the decking? IÂve done PT before but that was a long time ago.

2. Can I assume the frame is made of PT? How do you hide the PT, stair stringers, outside ledger?

3. So what about fasteners? The new clips and adhesives? Or Face screwing with plugs and are they pre-drilled? This seams like a lot of work.

I plan to call George at Teak and John at Advantage.

Thanks, you guys and galls provide an invaluable service.