Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_403715

Update pics of my space and area rug advice needed

User
11 years ago
Hi - I wanted to share some pics of how my place is coming along and ask for some advice. I want to buy an area rug for the living room and I'm not sure what direction to go. Should I do a color - like navy blue or khaki/beige colored, do a high pile rug or stay you a natural texture.

Wall color: SW agreeable gray
Sofa: RH Flax in duck
Chair: RH indigo in belgian linen
Pillows: RH indigo in belgian linen & custom made suzani in gray, blue, hot pink and yellow.
Tile: Slate colored in brown, beige, gray, orange and blue

I'm going shopping today for a new ceiling light fixture for the entryway and would love to pick up a rug while I'm out :)

Thank you to everyone who has helped me put my space together! I still have a lot to do though (art, window treatments, accent table & light fixtures). Any other advice you may have to make my space better, please share!! ox

Comments (41)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    You've probably already been shopping but I do suggest you take a look at homedecorators.com for rugs. Keep using navy as your accent color. I'd be tempted to paint the wall with the niche and horse head navy, but you've created two focals in pic #4 and I'm not sure both of them work together. They're both great but in conflict with each other. I'm attaching a rug I like. It might require a change of throw pillows though! Would unload the coffee and side tables table a bit and put white shades on all the lamps. They look tan and aren't giving a true read of your wall color. Can't really determine your arrangement and floor plan well with these pics, but you seem to be doing a good job on color. I suggest you pull the furniture into a grouping around your new rug instead of having it up against the walls. Think more of a conversational area. Your navy chair is great but seems out of proportion with the sofa. Would love to see two swivel chairs pulled up by the sectional around the largest rug you can afford.
    Cortland Swivel Chair · More Info
  • browncoat55
    11 years ago
    Love the space love the tile. Do you need a rug on that beautiful floor? If so what about a flokati?
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you decoenthusiaste. The pictures are very deceitful in terms of size and available floor space. I have no space around the sectional for additional furniture. The sofa and chair have to go up against the walls because it is a very long room. RH chairs are usually way out of proportion to their sofas - that to me is the fun part about their stuff and why I love the chair so much. When you say two focal points - do you mean the entryway and TV area? I just bought the pillows and they cost me a lot of money, lol...so they will be sticking around for awhile. I'll def check out home decorators for rugs!
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    browncoast55 - thanks for the rug idea. I had to look up flokati - cause I had no idea what that was, lol. So much fun - they look super fluffy ;) I'll have to find those locally to see in person.
  • User
    11 years ago
    With that gorgeous and varied floor, think I'd go with a solid color in the rug, in a variation of the cream or beige color, the orange or navy. Really like what you've done so far.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    jeankris - Your room is looking great! Did you find a rug today?

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • Greenthumz
    11 years ago
    I would love to see a brighter color on the floor. I like the pillows you have in the room. Perhaps pull a color from them. Or a simple graphic, maybe like tone on tone. There are so many fab ones now.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I think a subtle pattern that relates to your pillows would look pretty for your rug.
    Modern Rugs · More Info
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your compliments and suggestions! I have not found a rug yet (so please keep the suggests coming). I love the colors in the pillows, but I'm not sure how a yellow or hot pink rug would look (what do you think?). I'm leaning towards beige/khaki or navy blue. I like the tone on tone graphic and/or pattern idea - like the rose rug.

This is so random - but does anyone has any suggestions for painting a ceramic garden stool? I have a light green one that I would like to paint yellow or hot pink.
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Another question. I have this mirror that I took from another spot in my house that I think I would like at the entryway better than the sunburst mirror. My question - should I paint it? It's a dark gray wood. I have this gold/silverish spray paint from another project, what do you think? You can see the entryway in pics 3&4 above. Thanks!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Keep the starburst mirror. It looks great!
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Rug: a color very similar to the sofa with a rug weave textured pattern (photo)
    c.r. laine 2290_9125RS_1010.jpg · More Info

Can the round table near the chair be moved to the other side of the sofa so the matching lamps will look happier. If not, I think the lamp near the chair should not match the sofa end table lamp.

I like the round mirror above the console table. It helps break up the other rectangular shapes. Off hand I'd say stop shopping for small cute objects and concentrate on larger items. The niche for example could use a taller object to display.
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Darzy & olldj22 - since this morning I have changed everything around, lol. I moved the mirrored buffet to the back dining room wall and put the sunburst mirror over it. I took the white table and ottoman and stuck it under my TV. I have no entryway furniture if I keep the layout this way. ! Every time I think I like the way something looks, I change it, I wish I could make up my mind. Thanks for the rug info olldj22, when I was looking originally for rugs that's what I thought I was going to be looking for. I love that room - especially the blue drapes - I've been debating on blue or linen colored. The round table can be moved there, right now that spot is open for my christmas tree, lol. I wasn't crazy about that table beside that chair but I haven't found another table I like. Also, the lamps are temporary - they are from my bedroom, I just used them for staging to see how lamps would look. I have been looking for something different. I was thinking clear or even something fun like yellow. What kind of table would you put beside the chair?
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    haha I just read the rest of your comment olldj22! Don't judge me and my obsession with mercury glass, lol...I've sought treatment for my addiction - its helped curb my cravings ;P I love the horse head!! That niche is soooo big, a pony fits in that spot, lol!! I seriously have no idea what to buy to fill that much space. At one time I thought of having glass shelves installed (so I can buy more small objects, hehe). But seriously, I have no idea what to fill that space with - it's huge!
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is the buffet with mirror moved to the back dining room wall.What do you think? Left for this room - window treatments (what color, navy blue or linen/khaki?), blinds (should I go back to vertical wide white wood or white roman?) and chandelier.
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I moved the console table and ottoman to under the TV, what do you think? I took all the books off the bottom shelf of the coffee table. The entryway is completely empty at this point and I have no idea what to put there. Left for this room, art for above sofa, rug, ceiling fan and not sure if I should put something above the chair/table space?
  • Greenthumz
    11 years ago
    Send me the ceramic garden stool.

Move starburst back to original spot. That vignette looked great. OR, send me that with the stool. I LOVE that mirror.
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    haha. I love the stool and the mirror so unfortunately I'll be keeping them both! Seriously, move everything back?!! You like everything better the other way?
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    No don't move everything back. I like the Cyrus mirror and the buffet in the dining area. Looks great!

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • mahbona
    11 years ago
    Hey jeankris, well you know I'm a complete amateur as well,but here's what I'm thinking about your space. (btw I love love LOVE your place)

The buffet table looks great in the new location behind the dining table. But the entryway looked good how it was, I think the sunburst mirror really adds appeal along with the ceramic table. How about using the other mirror you had (which you were contemplating to use for entryway) above the buffet table?

Maybe the true colors are not showing for me but I actually like the current lamps you have, only they should be on either side of the sectional. You could actually move the entire side table to the other end of the sectional. The arc lamp looks too small in its current place. For the rug, I was picturing that a deep orange might go well but if you say the cushions are hot pink and yellow, maybe not. You should probably get a textured solid beige rug, a tone between the couch and the floor.
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    Your floor is nice but you have no unifying concept. What do you like? What are you trying to do? What will you and your friends do when they come over? Dine formally? Watch TV? Play cards? What kind of music will you be listening to? Your rooms do not give a clue as to what you are wanting your home to be.
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Mahbona - I like the idea of moving the table. But I really love those lamps in my bedroom. I just didn't want to have empty tables with no lamps so I took them out of there for now until I buy something. Yes the toss pillows are blue, pink and yellow - so I think orange is out of the question. I think I may just stick with a natural rug - seems like the easiest thing to do. Nevedan - I do all those things in the space, lol. I don't know what you mean by what do I like? I'm trying to make all the spaces work together since my house is an open concept. Are you saying the dining room is too formal and the living room isn't? I'm feeling pretty clueless right now - so I guess that's coming through my posts here. I like a french country glam look.
  • mahbona
    11 years ago
    Yes natural is the way to go, unless of course you find a rug you absolutely love, in which case go for it - and then work out the rest of the place.
  • mahbona
    11 years ago
    What happened to the lamps from your entryway, could those be used?
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Unfortunately, they are way too big for those little end tables. Yeah. I'm gonna go look at rugs this week. Thanks! I feel more confused than ever, lol. I totally thought I had this all planned and I even posted here very early on about my plans and got great feedback, and still I feel like somewhere I missed something lol.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    I'd wait to buy end table lamps that enhanced the art over sofa. For instance, if the art has an antique gold frame I'd buy lamps with some antique gold on base or if the art is stretched canvas, table lamps that enhance the entire sofa + art setting/coloring. I would not add another metal table with glass. This is a gorgeous room and 3 metal/glass tables as you have & interesting table lamps. (photo)
    Traditional Family Room · More Info

Maybe the ceramic stool (can't find it in photo) could be the table near the chair. Maybe you don't need a chair lamp or perhaps the floor lamp near chair? I wonder if glass shelves would be nice in the niche (as you said) with the mercury glass "obsession" placed there as a grouping of objects d'art? Maybe the bench alone in entry (I liked the console with round mirror there, though). I loved the buffet under the TV ...it made your LR very much more interesting with that buffet piece!! I like window treatments the "same" color as walls to help enlarge rooms ("same" = a color that doesn't stand out in contrast to wall paint. See photo, too). I like wide slat Plantation shutters, but some people prefer a more soft look.
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    olldj22 - thank you so much for all great advice. I woke up this morning and hated where everything was. I didn't pay a ton of money for that buffet to be hidden behind my dining room table & chairs. Maybe in my next home when I have a formal dining space I can use the buffet there but in the meantime and at this house it will live under the TV :) I took all the objects off the front console table - do you think it looks better with it all gone? So you think I should stick with all linen/khaki colored rugs and drapes? I'm not against plantation shutters - I may look into them. If not I will probably just put my white wide slat blinds back on. Should I also keep the buffet top object free? What do you think about the chair and garden stool? It seems so bare, lol. I'll call the glass installers about some shelves. My last question. The rug - does it have to go all the way to the buffet? I was thinking I would only buy it big enough for the sofa, end table and coffee table to rest on.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    I think the Chinese garden stool is fine as a table there. It might have looked better if the stool was chunkier, but I would keep it. I'd take away the pillow and keep all pillows on sofa. Have 3 framed art going vertically over the stool (art with a touch of green if you are keeping stool green). See these on left (photo).
    Tahoe Ridge House · More Info

Sofa pillow idea (photo)
    LaVista Park Renovation & Interiors · More Info

Console way too bare/stark. Put objects back on console. I love your collections (they add personality to your home), just thought you might have enough collected for now. ;) Same goes for buffet, keep a few items there as you had originally (think of repeating the bright suzani pillow colors on buffet . Maybe you have a dish or vase or maybe the amber color glass I saw on DR table?)
    I don't think you can go wrong with neutral rug/drapes. But always ask if you can return. Even neutral colors have undertones that can show up with different lighting and can appear odd when placed in a specific house. Wide slat blinds are the same effect as P. shutters, I'd keep the blinds, too. Maybe you don't need drapes or can hold off for a while. Measure space for area rug. It should be somewhat under the sofa front feet, does not have to reach the buffet (photo).
    Houzz Photo · More Info

You can add one or some of your small items to the garden stool (photo)
    Valerie Wills Interiors · More Info
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    olldj22 - thanks again! You have given me my confidence back! I made a couple of changes - I put the end table on the other side of the sectional and I put the reading light and stool where the end table used to be. I also pulled the pillows off cause I feel like they are throwing me off right now. I think once I decide what I am going to put over the sofa I'll pick a matching table lamp and floor lamp and chuck the reading lamp. I was thinking of buying the little accent table pictured below - maybe I could put it where the stool currently is by the sofa or put it over by the chair. Just for kicks I also centered the blue chair into the corner wall - not sure how I feel about it yet. I like the photo art idea, it's almost a DIY project you could make with paint chips. I'm thinking I may not do drapes and maybe just do a valance - they look nice with wide slat blinds and/or p-shutters. What do you think of the new layout, accent table and valance?
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    Hi jeankris - what are the dimensions of the room as a whole? There are a lot of free 3d room planners online ( http://freshome.com/2010/08/18/10-best-free-online-virtual-room-programs-and-tools/), I'll try to play around w/your room on one of them.

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have tried to use one of those sites but I can never get it right. Overall room (LR & DR): 326"L x 191"W. The corner wall where the chair is: left side = 43" and right side = 41". The wall where the sectional is: 191". The wall inbetween windows in the dining room is: 166". Thanks for your help!
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Chair looks too stiff in corner, move to the right, a little more like what you had. I rather like this tall lamp in photo, but only if you can find one with a round table area attached for a drink or small snack. Then, you wouldn't need any art near the chair, the lamp + table would fill in space nicely & you wouldn't need a separate table there (photo).
    Hollywood Chic Living Room · More Info

I like symmetry around the sofa area. I liked the idea of 3 metal tables and matching lamps on the end tables. However: this is your house!

The small table I do not like + you will not need it if you can find a large table + lamp. Here are a few reasons I do not like the small table: it is too small & leggy, the Chinese garden stool is as good & nicer b/c it is not so leggy. The 3 metal tables you have and the RL chair are leggy enough for the room. It looks too much like Ballard's cutsie stuff (is it?). I think the little table will cheapen some of the nicer items you have. Again, it's your house.

I like P shutters without any softness: no valence, no drapes. I am visualizing the wide slat blinds to look very similar? I'm not sold on the idea of a valence over the w-s blinds.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    You're welcome, jeankris! I'll post when I have something, assuming I can make it work. :)

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    Sterling Rugs
    11 years ago
    If you want cowhide rugs to camouflage the 'floors' , we can help . Apart from that , we can manufacture any rug of your choice .
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    The good news is I have narrowed down my choices for the best 3D rendering program. The bad news is you might be ready to move by the time I get the 3D rending of your room right. :)

If you have time, can you take a picture from the entry way to this room so it shows the whole room in one pic?

Also - any change you have a floor plan that you can upload?

Your room is a good one to learn on. I'm trying to pick a 3D room design program to incorporate into our site. This will help me narrow it down.

Hope you are having a great Wednesday. Did you find a rug yet?

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    Sterling Rugs
    11 years ago
    All our products are on Sale beginning December 01 till January 05.. Special discounts to International customers.
  • roxanneko
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love your room! You have a lot of darker colors and square corners…. I would contrast that and soften your room with a big shaggy white/cream run! It would look feminine and beautiful with your mirrored furniture :) Nice job!

• PRO
    Sterling Rugs
    9 years ago

Beautiful house.. neat !

A few of our latest samples in 100% Linen. Contact : info@sterlingrugs.com

• PRO
    Sterling Rugs
    9 years ago

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH