FIND PROFESSIONALS
westbrooknh

Can I stain over Thompson's Water Sealer, or must I strip it?

westbrooknh

Greetings all,

I'm a newbie DIYer, so I'm not very knowledgeable.

Last year, I built a new PT deck with Doug Fir railings.

I left the PT untreated to let it weather for a year, but I made the HORRIBLE mistake of putting Thompson's Water Seal (the one with wax in it) on the Doug Fir railings.

:(

I washed the railings and deck with Sherman Williams Deckscapes Deck Wash. The color came back nicely, but a white residue was evident here and there on the railings. I figure this must be some of the wax from the Thompson's.

Water is still beading up on the railings.

I tried Deckscapes Stain and Sealer Remover to strip out the wax. The application directions say to apply with a brush, rinse with water, and then apply a wood brightner to neutralize the stuff and lighten the color of the wood.

The Stripper was AWFUL stuff. Some of it dripped on my bare skin and burned it! Not badly, but it did sting.

I tried this on only a small section to see the results before doing all the railings.

The wood did get lighter after applying the Deck Wash after rinsing off the Stripper, but it wasn't that nice reddish Douglas Fir tone anymore, but rather a sickly green, like the old-style cuprous arsenide PT wood.

=:O

I'd like to apply One-Time or Ready-Seal to the railings, but I don't want to have to go through the ugly Stripping process if I don't have to, and I certainly don't want to ruin the beautiful color of the Doug Fir.

I already talked with One-Time and they said I would have to strip the Thompson's out.

Questions:

1. Do you know if I'd be able to apply the Ready Seal without having to strip all the Thompson's out first?

2. If I have to strip, is there something better, less caustic, that I can use that will get the Thompson's wax out of my Doug Fir railings?

3. Is there a product that can restore the original color of the railing section that turned green?

.