Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingerjenny

What strange things have buyers asked after inspections?

gingerjenny
9 years ago

We just sold our home and after two different offers we were asked for some things that I thought were strange.

One buyer asked us for a new kitchen sink and faucet with sprayer. Nothing was wrong with the one that was there. He had a plumbing inspection and got a quote for a new one and asked us. We didn't have a sprayer I guess. Told him no that was a preference.

The other thing was for a gas line to be ran. No, you knew we didn't have a gas line to the dryer when you put in the offer.

I was so mad about these two requests!

When we bought our current house the seller negotiated the water bed had to stay cause they didn't want to move it. We agreed but it wasn't fun moving it the next day after we moved in.

What things have buyers asked from you?

Comments (18)

• redcurls
    9 years ago

Sorry...this reply was meant for another post......

This post was edited by redcurls on Wed, May 21, 14 at 0:49

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

I once heard a story that a buyer asked for the seller's Irish Setter puppy...

• hayden2
    9 years ago

Gingerjenny, I don't understand why the sellers asking for a new sink or a gas line made you "so mad". They can ask, you can say no. Why isn't that the end of the story? Unless they insulted you somehow, it's just a request which you can reject.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

I understand why those requests would be upsetting. It introduces an unnecessary element of tension into the selling process and sets up the seller to be the "bad guy" for saying no. Besides that, some buyers walk away from contracts for the most unjustified reasons, so making these kinds of requests causes the seller to agonize whether saying "no" means they won't reach the closing table. No one needs that kind of stress.

From the buyer's perspective, it's wise to reserve requests to important issues. They may need the seller's goodwill for a variety of reasons during the pending process and, sometimes, after closing (questions about mechanicals, where things are, etc.). So, it's not a good idea to generate animosity with the seller by asking for the moon.

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

if he asked for the things in his initial offer i wouldn't of been offended. He asked after we negotiated a price. He did it after inspections and it wasn't an inspection issue.

Would asking for your pet make you mad? that would make me mad. it is part of my family.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

I kid you not the buyer of my first house asked me to specify that the house was not haunted. I told her it was not. I lied.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Replacing all the light bulbs.

Throw away the door in the attic that had been removed from the toilet compartment of the master bath (should have done that but we pointed out why it was there and they decided to keep it).

They had a lot of ridiculous stuff -- I wish I could remember it all, but mostly, I remember wishing the deal would fall through. There was a couple who wanted the house badly and I would have rather sold to them. Oh well......

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

"I kid you not the buyer of my first house asked me to specify that the house was not haunted. I told her it was not. I lied."

Uh oh! Hope this lie doesn't come back to haunt you.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

It would offend me for sure if someone wanted my pet!
    & it may have been a red herring, who knows...

Sometimes buyers will feel like they're not really negotiating until they get the house under contract & then they go to work undermining the seller's position, often right through closing.

Transactions like that are hard on everyone else.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Furniture.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

"I kid you not the buyer of my first house asked me to specify that the house was not haunted. I told her it was not. I lied."
    Uh oh! Hope this lie doesn't come back to haunt you".

No it hasn't. The owner has lived there for 15 years now. Obviously she was afraid of ghosts but how could I explain the ghosts were helpful? I could not so I let her find out herself.

I never would have believed in ghosts due to my cynical nature until I lived in that house. I tried to find logical reasons for all that happened for years. Until the day I was awakened by a black figure at my bed.

I told it to go away and reminded it that we had an agreement for no visualization. But it would not go away. So I got up and checked the house (that seemed to be what it wanted) and found that my paralyzed dog had her tail stuck in a baseboard heater and it was starting to smoke. We called the dog "scorch" after that. So a real tragedy was averted by either a ghost or my vivid imagination that woke me up at exactly the right time to intervene before a tragic situation developed.

The new owner ( a young lady) developed cancer and she survived the disease and treatment. I can't think of a better house for her to have lived in during that trying time. The house was built in the late 1800's and it had an energy I cannot describe. The PO before I bought it turned down a higher offer because he "felt" the house wanted me to own it. My buyer made an offer before the house hit the market and I had the same feeling so I did not entertain other offers. It was weird like that.

• suzieque
    9 years ago

Acadiafun, FABULOUS story! I completely believe you.

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

she must of felt a presence or something to ask such a question. Once we were looking at homes with our realtor and we walked into a house and I had a bad feeling. I never said it about any other house but i said i've seen enough lets leave. I had only went into the first room. I didn't know if the house was haunted or if something really bad had taken place there. I couldn't explain it but i was really uncomfortable.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Acadiafun, interesting story. So the house wasn't "haunted" in the sense of having unhappy or negative energy, which is probably what she was inquiring about. I think your answer was fair.

I think the house next door to mine has a weird mojo and has attracted people with problems. It has always done well on the market, been well-liked and sold quickly, but attracted people who seem nice but have issues. The current owners have done a fair amount of work on the house, and I hope that will help, but the jury is still out. The three previous owners have left in bad circumstances -- foreclosure, divorce, job changes and lawsuits, kid problems, rat infestation.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I've lived in several houses that were hundreds of years old (like 400) --- never a ghost or spirit :(

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I rented a house that was the parsonage of a church, built in the 1860s. I heard ghosts. Always I would be downstairs and hear people talking upstairs, a man and a woman. I would continue to hear them as I went up the stairs, distinctly having a conversation but never clear enough to understand the words, but just as I stepped on the upper landing and could tell which room the voices were coming from they would fade away. We thought that it might be someone in the attached church building, but we would check and there was never anyone there. Experienced this multiple times!

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I heard of someone asking for the chickens :)

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Well, the last house we sold WAS haunted, but my buyers didn't ask me about it. So I didn't have to tell them. But the joke was on me ----- the ghost moved with us!!!!

She's not threatening or ominous, but we have an arrangement. I tell her I don't care if she lives with us, but I don't want to see her.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler