Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Non-Standard Framing on the Cheap?

anele_gw
10 years ago

I come across prints and such I like that are unframed . . .but unless they fit into a standard-size frame, I usually pass, because custom framing is so $ for me.

Any ideas for framing non-standard sizes cheaply? I know there are places online that are cheaper than art /framing places, so that is an option . . .just wondering if you "get creative" any other way?

Comments (15)

• annie1971
    10 years ago

I have often put off framing even inexpensive prints because of the cost. But any "crafty" thing I've seen and have been tempted to try, just seems a little too home done and temporary. Not a place where I'm at in life now. You can sometimes find mats that would crop your prints into a standard (however, larger) frame. Many places offer specials (but, yes, even 50% off is shocking at times). But if you love it -- save up and give yourself a treat with a good framing.
    I found a thrown-away water color, rain spotted and obviously not by a professional. I paid $85 (with a 50% coupon) to have it framed. It's probably not worth ten bucks, but it's one of my favorites -- it just makes me smile and everyone new to it comments on it. Sorry that I haven't been much help, but IMO crafty and cheap only works in the magazines.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annie. I have had items framed professionally, and I love the outcome but not the price at this point in my life, esp. since I find I am so fickle.

Guess I will wait to find things I truly love and spend the $ then. :) Like you said, if something always makes you smile, it is very worth it!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Art.com has very good prices on framing their prints. I bought a few prints and brought them to several local shops to frame. I then called Art.com up and they sent me postage paid labels and framed the pictures for me at half the price including the shipping. I also like how I can see what I add to the pictures changes the price and I waited to use a coupon.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Go to a custom frame shop and have the print drymounted and a mat cut to make it fit into a standard sized frame. Then any inexpensive frame will work. And all you need is some kraft paper to create a dust cover.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Or maybe see if there is an arts center, an arts school or guild, or an art supply store that will cut the mat & mount the print. Might be cheaper than a frame shop. You can buy 32 x 40 mat board for under $10 at an art supply store.

You won't believe this, Anele, but I just took a DIY matting class at our art center today. Wish you lived near by, I'd gladly cut you a mat. My photo prints are never standard sizes, so that's why I took the class.

If you're crafty, you could try cutting your own. Here's a $20 mat cutter from Amazon

This Youtube video tells you how to measure for margins

This video shows cutting a mat with a hand-held bevel cutter

This post was edited by awm03 on Fri, May 3, 13 at 21:27

• camlan
    10 years ago

You can reduce the cost by not matting prints, and by having the frame store cut down the borders of a print, so that when framed, all you see is the print and no border. You will "lose" a small bit of the print on each side, though. But by making the print smaller, the frame is smaller and therefore your cost is lower.

The other thing to do is find a good frame store--not a chain craft store that also does frames. Wait for them to have a sale on framing, and then take your print in. I know two art supply stores that also do framing, and the people who work in the framing department tend to be artists, and look at your artwork with an artist's eye. They can be very, very good at matching your artwork to the correct frame.

And when I took in a huge poster to be framed and told them I didn't want to spend tons of money, they cheerfully sorted out their least expensive frames and found a few good choices that weren't too expensive. They saw it as a challenge and kept working until we came up with a frame that I was happy with.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Keep a tape measure with you. I have found frames and mats that fit my off size prints. Places like Ross, TJMax,
    Big Lots, garage sales, etc. Most run about $40. If the matte isn't the correct size, but you print/photo would fit well within the frame, having a matte cut is not expensive. Also, mattes do not have to be the same size on all sides. Sometimes this even gives the print an interesting visual.

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

I've had very good experiences using pictureframes.com. Their website makes choosing the mat and frame dimensions very easy, and allows you to see the proportions before you commit. They also ship very quickly and well.

For a simple reproduction print or poster, dry mounting is fine, but I wouldn't dry mount a fine art print.

I like to weight the mats - meaning that the bottom bit is wider than the rest - and if you call them, they can specify it for you.

Using a hand-held mat cutter is a tricky business, and requires some skill - I tried it for a while and gave up, and I'm usually pretty good at that sort of thing. An imperfectly cut mat (with a wobbly bevel, or overcut corners, which are too easy to do with a hand cutter) ruins the look.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

If you have them matted to mat dimensions that fit a standard frame it's way less expensive. Stay away from the national chain stores and find a local framer.

I look for frames I like at thrift stores, dump the art that was in them, and reuse the frames.

• sewlutions
    10 years ago

I took a project to Michaels when three was a 60% off +10% sale and the cost was STILL over $165. And they had nothing I wanted. Took it to my local frame shop--- their regular price was $10 more and deliverd within 7 days!!! No more big box stores for framing!

• kristinekr
    10 years ago

I just use a standard size frame that is the closest in size to the print. Then I mount the print to a coordinating color poster board. I have also covered the poster board with coordinating wrapping paper or whatever works. It looks totally fine and looks like the print is matted.

• lala girl
    10 years ago

It is not framing but I have placed prints and vintage book pages on white canvas boards from the art supply store, the prints are held in place with photograph corners - it's cheap and a little different look

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Like lazygardens, I get frames at thrift stores.
    Another good source: plain black IKEA frames. I simply make the art work fit by getting a custom mat. And if you can learn how to cut your own mats, even better. I tried to but didn't do a great job with my mat cutter.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I am an artist, well, before arthritis struck, but I have a lot of heavy duty watercolor paper.

I buy colored poster paper and cut it to fit a standard frame. Then, I simply mount the print on the watercolor paper, and with a toothbrush, rub an uneven edge.

The print on that sexy edge goes on the poster board that fits the frame, and the result is yum!!

Suzi

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn, I had no idea they do that! Very good to know!

Holly-- i am clueless . . .need to find out what kraft paper is! What a good tip re: drymounting!

Awm, what a sweet offer! I wish we were nearby! That is awesome about the class-- I can see the use since it seems very tricky. I will find out about art schools.

Camlan, yes, I have usually only gone to art shops for framing. Once I did use a craft chain and it was OK, though.

Technicolor, that opens up a lot of possibilities, to just worry about the mat size (which can be changed). I will be on the lookout!

BWM, thank you for the link and advice! Sounds like if I get the mat done elsewhere, it will make a big difference.

Lazy, yes, I have used art shops almost exclusively. Now I will be on the hunt for frames!

Sew, yes, I think there is a better selection at art shops, too. I like supporting smaller businesses as well.

Kristine, that is a great idea. I would not have thought about it! I love the idea of wrapping paper, too-- I can think of different mediums (fabric, if it fits?) to play with pattern.

Nosoccer, IKEA is a great idea. It sounds like it's really the mat that is key.

Laura, what very sweet prints and a great idea.

Desert-- wow about being an artist, and I'm sorry about the arthritis. :( Sometimes life is cruel. I was a musician and now have hearing loss (not nerve damage-- bone disease) at the ripe old age of 39. Good thing it is no longer my livelihood. It's like life is playing a "joke" on us, I think! Anyway, would you mind explaining your process a little more? So, you put the poster paper underneath as a mat-- but then are you saying the watercolor paper extends past it? If you have any pics to share, please do!

This all was truly helpful. I feel a little freer now to get art that I really like (well, that is within my $!) and not get stuck on the framing.

THANK YOU!!!!