Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Fireplace installed CORRECTLY this time!!

breezygirl
12 years ago

I have my new fireplace! You all were so supportive of me during my maddening ordeal with my initial fireplace installer, who I now lovingly refer to as Installer Jerk, that I wanted to share some good news. On Wednesday, my new fireplace (exact same model) was installed by The Nice Guy Installers.

Everything looks good! The two problems with the old fireplace seem to have been corrected. The fireplace seems to overhang the framing appropriately to allow for tile and board. We have had some nasty wind and rain since The Nice Guys installed the roof vent a few weeks ago, and not one drop of water has gotten into the house.

The owner of this fireplace store has been more than helpful, and even apologized for us being treated so badly by Installer Jerk! Amazing. Anyway, thank you very much for letting me vent through that nightmare week last month.

Here's the install view from my new kitchen. (Ignore the broken toilet in the background courtesy of my plumber.)

And here's the finished, new fireplace installed corectly!

Comments (20)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Beauteous. Emanates waves of peace..... Well done dear!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Congratulations! How wonderful to have a fireplace you can enjoy, from every one of your living spaces :)

Oh, and forget the toilet...is that a French door leaning against the wall? Very exciting to see your progress!

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Woo hoo!

But wait, isn't it de rigueur to have a broken toilet in the family room these days? You could start a whole new trend....

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Yay breezy! :)

What are you doing for the mantel and surround on that lovely properly installed fireplace?

• plllog
    12 years ago

Whoohootoo!!!

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I am reminded of that scene where the dad is shouting at the son in the hardware store, "Billy! That's not a real toilet!"

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

Is this fireplace gas and ventless?

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

IT looks awesome! I know it was a struggle, but this is going to be TOTALLY WORTH IT!!! :) yay! What are you doing for surround?

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You all crack me up so hard!! As my son used to say, "you so funny!" Thanks for the kind and funny words.

The tile surround? Goodness only knows. I need something to coordinate with my peninsula countertop right across from it, which will most likely be Carrara.

I'd like to do something a little interesting there, but not too crazy. I saw some Walker Zanger mosaics recently that I like. Perhaps the Ashbury, a kind of Moroccan-ish tile in the white Coconut color?

There are so many cool tiles out there from which to choose! And I haven't priced the WZ yet. I will run a wood mantle above on the front and back (or front and front depending on your definiton.)

The fireplace is gas and vents out the roof from a duct that runs diagonally and then up from the unit. It's hard to see, but the duct runs on the right side in the first pic.

• weiss528i
    12 years ago

What is the model/manufacturer of the Fireplace?

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Breezy,

It looks great. Good for you for being strong and getting
    what you want with your grace and dignity.

Here are some ideas for your fireplace surround.

Maybe a marble or white and gray diamond cermaic tile

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Yay! It's going to be such a nice feature!!

The toilet would probably be an acceptable part of the 'undecorate' movement Sabjimata has discussed on her blog. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sabjimata's blog post on undecorating

• sayde
    12 years ago

Breezy, that's great news. So glad you posted. As you can see there are so many others here who are going through awful times. It is really helpful to read both the accounts of the troubles and the followups to attest that the problems can be overcome.

So glad to see you are making progress and getting problems successfully resolved!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Weiss528--The fireplace is Napoleon BGD40.

Boxer--Beautious pictures. The colored subways caught my eye. Thank you!

Rhome--Thanks! So I just read Deva's blog. And I agree with your opinion. If "undecorate" means leaving a broken toilet in your living room, then count me OUT! ;)

Sayde--I so sympathize when I read the "look what went wrong today" threads. Been there. I also like to see the good news followups to see the resolution.

In my case, I still haven't received my $1200 back from the original fireplace, but my bank is still working on it as I charged that deposit. AND I don't have to deal with Installer Jerk anymore!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Breezy! That's great news! Porcelanosa has some great tile. I've linked one below. Check out the Matrix Anthracita on page 3, too. Hope the website helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brunei Gris tile

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Flwrs! Porcelanosa is also at the top of tile list with WZ and AS. I love the few things of theirs I've seen IRL. The Brunei looks like linen. I love that.

• yellowdog2
    12 years ago

Congratulations Breezy! I remember how stressed I was for you. You were put in a situation that would've made me cry. Way to be strong and so glad that it worked out all right. It is going to be a beautiful and cozy place to be.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Glad you like the tile. I'm so glad the bank is dealing with Installer Jerk and you don't have to ever see or talk to him again!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yellowdog, I cried more than once believe me! My poor kids didn't know what to do when I started to sob and shake in the middle of the family room when it I finally let it out!

• yellowdog2
    12 years ago

Ohh! That was just awful. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Nothing but smooth sailing from here on out! :)