Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickey__mn

Update on DD#2's apt fire

Vickey__MN
15 years ago

Well, she lost virtually everything. That's the bad news. The good news is that because she is a student, she is covered under our homeowners insurance so she is covered. I couldn't convince her to get renters insurance before, I think i can now!!!

The fire was on the third floor, she lived on the second. SHe didn't get fire damage, but smoke and water damage. They were able to go into the apartment for about an hour to grab what they could but that was it. The building is condemmed now.

She is however finding out about the kindness of strangers. You see when she was younger she went on work-camps with church. She helped fix up houses for people in need, they were so grateful. She liked doing it, but I don't think she ever REALLY knew how grateful these people were. I think she does now. She works for Starbucks, the corporation gave her $500, a store in Bismark heard about her situation, held a car wash and gave her $100, a kitchen store near her gave her kitchenware. The mall by the complex gave gift cards. People in the community have called her Starbucks offering furniture (The newspaper article mentioned her Starbucks so people knew where to call). NDSU called, they identified 4 students that lived in that apartment complex and are meeting with them today to see what they can do to help them. The owners of the apartment comples have been wonderful. They own other apartment buildings. They refunded all security deposits in full, offered similiar apartments at same rate to ful-fill rest of their lease or released people from their lease. They are having a fundraising BBQ to raise money for all the people in the complex (many had NO insurance and lost everything, those are the ones I feel very sorry for!)

So far the only people/company that has not been helpful is the directTV people. They are charging them $300 for breaking their contract. You see, their new apartment faces the wrong way and although they want DirectTV, it will not work there, others have tried, so they have to get cable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of DD#2's Apt fire.

Comments (19)

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

I feel so sorry for your DD and all the others that lost so much. Isn't the community wonderful to help out. Razzberries to Direct TV.

• grammahony
    15 years ago

Oh wow, I must have been without my computer when this happened. I'm glad she's okay, and that people are stepping up and helping them out.
    Leslie

• sandy_in_ia
    15 years ago

Holy Cow! I am so sorry that she lost everything! It is so great that the community is helping her out. She has done good for others, and so others are doing for her now. Hard, but what a wonderful lesson for her!

Hopefully something good comes from Direct TV too....otherwise I think they need to take that to the paper also!!

• hayjud_mn
    15 years ago

I am so sorry about the fire, but her being able to realize how great a need she helped out with in the past will be one of life's great lessons. Her comunity was very helpful, that is so heartwarming to hear. Did Direct TV even know it was because of a fire. Sometimes they work from some out-of-state main office and only thoughtlessly follow rules.

• dotmom
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry about what your daughter and the others in the building are going through. Thank God, SHE is OK. Doesn't it warm your heart to hear of the kindness from people to ones they don't know? We had a fire in 1990, and will always remember all the acts of kindness. My best wishes are coming your daughters way, Dottie

• eandhl
    15 years ago

How awful for your daughter and her friends. Glad they are safe. As for Direct TV, forget phone calls they get you no where but do tell them to write a letter to "Direct TV
    Billing Dispute". You can find the address on the net. I found them to be very helpful. There is no way they should be charged for breach of contract.

• dirt_yfingernails
    15 years ago

I must have been away from the computer too. So sorry to hear about your DD's loss. My parents lost nearly everything when their home burned, about six months after I moved away from home. Fires are devastating. How is your DD doing otherwise?

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

OH gosh Vickey!!!!!!
    I had no idea your DD was in that fire. Lots of news about it that day and the following ones too in both the paper and tv.

I'm glad the insurance has been worked out and she was safe!!!

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

Vickey...that was a terrible fire....Do they know how it started? Was everyone out of the building when it started.
    That really looks scary.
    I'm so glad your daughter is okay.

patti

• Vickey__MN
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They do not know how the fire started. I don't know how many people were home when it started, but do know people were home. All people and pets got out without incident (thanks I heard to one tenent on the top floor in the apartment next to where the fire started who pulled the fire alarm and ran around pounding on doors!) DD#2 and her roommates were at work. By the time they got home after hearing about it and leaving work immediatly there was no way to get in and save anything. When fire was put out the firemen asked if there was anything that they needed to immediatly go in and get...Yes, DD#2 said..the bridesmaid dress to my sister's wedding! It was wet, smelled of smoke, but the bridal shop was able to save it!!!

Vickey-MN

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

YIKES. What did she take when she went back for the hour?
    Did she salvage her computer even?
    Sending best thoughts!

• wendylynders
    15 years ago

Thank goodness she is okay. Poor thing! My family lost our home to a fire when I was really little, like 2. We were then in Spokane on a vacation, and thinking about moving there. My parents had paid a neighbor boy to water our plants, bring in the mail and paper, etc... they got a call from him and a pipe broke and flooded the house. He hadn't been over since Friday afternoon and it was now Monday afternoon. It ruined tons of photos and sentimental things. It was sad....

Please keep us updated on her situation!

Here is a link that might be useful: Learning from our autistic son!

• janie_ga
    15 years ago

Have her complain to the telcommunications board ro whoever that government group is- they should be able to do something. Good lucka nd plase keep us posted about the issue. We have DTV and when our contrract is up I want to be able to tell them exactly WHY I drop them if they don't do right by her!

Janie

• jannie
    15 years ago

So sorry about the fire loss and damage. At least she wasn't hurt.

• jayokie
    15 years ago

So glad she & others are ok. What a fantastic response from the community,employer, landlord.

I agree with the others.. directTV needs to be reported to the governing office in your state if writing to them doesn't get it straightened out. Might help to include a police report &/or news report with the letter as "proof" it really happened.

Please keep us posted.

• mariend
    15 years ago

If necessary contact the senator for that area. In ND Sen Dorgan might be able to help. Sen. Pomroy also

• evatx
    15 years ago

The poor darling! I'm so sorry. My family's house burned when I was 14 and I well remember the kindness of strangers who donated money, furniture, clothing, etc.

• Vickey__MN
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YEA, directTV is waiving the early termination fee. As well they should!

Lets see what else...DD#2 decided that she SHOULD get renters insurance (A whopping $7.50 a month).

She was able to "grab" quite a bit when they were able to go in (but were told to get out if they heard any kind of noise), but most was ruined, but good to catalog for insurance purpose. Laptop is toast, hoping to dry it out so Geeksquad can pull info off like schoolwork and pictures. IPod is gone, IPod shuffle, gone, docking station, gone, TV's gone, WII..gone, games ...gone, microwave..gone,,you get the picture. She was going to wash her dishes to see if the smell would come out, I haven't heard if that was a success. I have heard though that there may be chemicals that "baked" into the stuff and she should just toss them anyway...what do you think? Lots of stuff started to rust right away, stuff warped, water logged, really bad.

Vickey-MN

• trishaw
    15 years ago

I would have her toss the dishes. The dishwasher and microwave could further bake some nasty stuff back into them. Just my personal thought though. Better safe than sorry.

I have heard stories from my computer geek friend that if computers are damaged with just water and not by spilling your diet coke or coffee into them, it is possible to save the actual hard drive. I would take it to a reputable computer person however or the manufacturer. They do the best work, IMHO.

Trish

Please give her a hug from me-