Shop Products
dirtymartini_gw

are mirrored closet doors woefully passe?

I guess if I like them, that should be all that counts, right? I would have one in our master bedroom ONLY...I figure it will be useful as a full length mirror, will help lighten up the room (room is kind of dark) and...I dunno, I just *like* them. It just doesn't seem like they are installed very often anymore, so wondering what the general consensus is... yay or nay?

• 15 years ago

Dirtymartini, the short, honest answer is yes, they are woefully passe, LOL.

That being said, do what you want. Bronwynsmom gave some excellent advice. Get a nice mirror, nicely framed.

Also, don't glue the mirror to the door, so that when it comes time to sell your house, you can easily remove the mirror after the realtor tells you that it's um, woefully passe.

• 15 years ago

FWIW, I think mirrored sliding doors are more woefully passe than mirrored hinged doors. On hinged doors, you have some trim that makes it appear more furniture-like.

• 15 years ago

LOL, this thread is making me laugh.

I was thinking of mirrored bifold doors, not sliders.

Ummm, bronwynsmom...I hate to tell you this, but I will anyway....my DH *loves* the idea of mirrors there because the bed will be *ahem* "visible"...as will we.

*sigh* Not sure I really wanna see myself at this point. I ain't getting any younger, or any thinner! :)

Is there any hip, new closet door ideas out there? I just don't want boring bifold doors. But that's all I see.

Thank you so much for the input! Even tho I LIKE mirrored closet doors now, I think I may figure out after awhile that they are "över" and quickly tire of them.

• 15 years ago

Yeah, they're totally passe.

I love mine and have learned never to look straight into them (look at anything else in the room, but not at me). But the room is sooo much larger feeling with them. We have old Stanleys and this is a beach house that took a lot of neglect over the years, but those doors are still perfect. Can't say that about any other mirror that was here when we moved in.

• 15 years ago

I should add that one entire side of the room is a giant closet with the mirrored doors floor to ceiling (it's the replacement for an attic, since the roof here is poured concrete). I don't think I'd care for them on a smaller opening, or if the bed faced that way.

• 15 years ago

Both.

Seen gorgeous doors (in VERY high-end walk-in closets; dressing rooms and even doors in pretty French-style living rooms or libraries) with all kinds of mirrors -- full door AND simply inserted in the panes where the glass would normally be located! Even seen secretary desks with mirrored doors on the upper hutch section. Tres chic! And darn handy too!

AND I've seen folks get LOTS of use from the classic sliding closet doors as well as homeowners that could not wait to get rid of them OR cover them up! HGTV shows - like Design on a Dime for example - added window frosting in a decorative design to the doors OR even covered the mirrors with fabric.

So the answer is: IF a mirrored door would work for you -- install one and enjoy it! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• 15 years ago

Yep, they are, thankfully(IMO) history. I am referring to the metal framed sliders only. However, I love the newer versions I've seen that are encased in wide panels of wood, or looks like wood. I've seen these advertised by a company that specializes in replacing the typical sliders. If this option is too pricey, I'd go with the hinged doors. Hinged doors make accessing the whole closet easier, as well.
    I also believe it really does matter what these large mirrors reflect. Just depressing if it's a big blank wall, or an area that holds an exercise bike, messy desk, etc.

• 15 years ago

And on the subject of, er, sight lines to the bed...candlelight, and a dry martini. Multitude of sins rendered unnoticeable by the candles, ones remaining made tolerable by the gin...

• 15 years ago

The question of what is passe or in always cracks me up. Today, of all times, it seems anything (and everything) goes.

When we bought our first house in 1978, it had shag carpet. That is soooo passe. Oh wait, it's in again. Wish I had kept the shag attachment for my Kirby.

Chrome and formica dinettes are so passe. Oh wait, they're in again.

Anything mid century is passe. Oh wait, it's back but called modern or Danish.

Hippie shirts, mini skirts, bell bottoms, platform shoes, wedges. All back.

Ceiling fans were popular in 1940 but had all but disappeared from homes and businesses by the late 1960's. Taupe was THE color for walls in the 50's but clean crisp white was the color in the 60's, which was also the time every house on the block had to cover their wood floors with wall-to-wall carpet because wood floors were just OUT forever. Uh, they're back.

If you like mirrored doors, put up mirrored doors. If they're not a hot trend right now, give it some time, they'll be back. We had mirrored sliding *gasp* closet doors in one house and I loved them. Would still have them if we still lived there and would put them in here if I had sliding closet doors.

• 15 years ago

Mirrored closet doors will come back one day. But they are passe for right now.

I remember seeing The Graduate many years ago and Mrs. Robinson's bedroom had a long white shag rug with mirrored closet doors. I thought she was the cat's meow, she was.

At least I think I remember the closet doors being mirrored.

.....Jane

• 15 years ago

I think this is a picture of the hotel closets not her personal closets at her home.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

Is this what you are talking about dirtymartini?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 15 years ago

Or this maybe?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 15 years ago

Well, the latter is what I was referring to: love those... but not so much the first. Wonder if they are a lot more$?

• 15 years ago

The underfed, Starbucks-sniffing hipsters over at Apartment Therapy seem to agree that the days of mirrored closet doors are long past...

But I'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with the majority: do what you (and DH) want, and whatever floats your collective boat.

Bronwynsmom, enjoying your commentary!

Here is a link that might be useful: this is about hiding them, not installing them

• 15 years ago

We repurposed our inherited mirrored slider closet doors to make them the doors of the *inside* of our dressing area. That way we have full-height mirrors for dressing purposes, and no full-height reflective surfaces in the main area. If we didn't have the inside to put them in, I would have gotten rid of them. Dd still has them in her room and she loves them--she can check her costumes she makes up in them :).

So in our house it's clear they're eminently *functional* -- but justgota's *second* link may provide an option that is both functional (for whatever purposes :)) *and* not so dated looking. if you put trim frames around them that don't interfere with the function, you could make them *much* more tolerable.

• 15 years ago

LOL walkin, I agree with Bobbycat5--I kept thinking, "well gosh, loads of light, space, sprung maple floors...what's not to love?"

• 15 years ago

When I purchased my home(18 years ago), it had a corner walk-in MB closet, with sliding mirrored closet doors...it still has them. I LOVE them!!!

• 15 years ago

I am going to have additional closets built into our bedroom. I'm considering something that will look like this, except I want the glass to be antiqued mirrors

{{!gwi}}

would that work for you?

• 15 years ago

Those are beautiful, bbstx. (I have to say that if mine were like walkin's link I'd get rid of them pronto.)

• 15 years ago

OMG bbstx that is the best looking closet I have ever seen, pretty pretty.

• 15 years ago

Thanks again, folks.

writersblock...always enjoy your posts.

leah-yeah, i did take into consideration what exactly will be reflected. Our room is pretty, and it will oppose french doors across the room...so i think that will look cool!

thank you, teacates! and mclarke and mlb!

bronwyns-well, I am a vodka martini girl...but I think taht will do the trick.

The BIG trick, tho...is to have HUBBY indulge in a few cocktails. That way...i look like a SUPERMODEL in his eyes! :)

marti8-You make the best point of all. I know these design ideas come full circle. Also, I am at an age where i like what I like, and everyone else be damned! Well, I guess that is not 100% true or I would not be on a decorating message board...but you know what I mean!

newdawn-kookooachoo, mrs Robinson! BTW, you don't realize how perfect that is, because I have started a few threads regarding my desire to decorate my 70's ranch with a 70's flair! I just think of mirrored doors as more "80's." That's where I have a problem. (not that there was anything wrong with the 80's! LOL)

justgotobeme-YES! Actually, I must admit I was talking about the 1st link. Just the plain old doors. BTW, that is almost exactly what my room looks like...that same color green, that same color trim, and almost the same color wood (mine is a little darker.)But I do love the second link. I will have to look into those further. That might be just what I need. do you know where they are available? You are always so very helpful!

walkin-even I admit, those mirrors are a bit much! But great link, thank you, it was a funny (yet informative)read.

nicole-thanks for the input. I am pretty sure I will find the doors functional AND pretty.

bbstxx-that is GORGEOUS! When you say antiqued...do you mean like smoked mirrors? Wonder where I can find the doors in your picture...do you know? Thank you for sharing that.

• 15 years ago

I had installed a few years ago mirrored closet frameless doors in my spare bedroom and I love them so much.

• 15 years ago

I have them in one of the bedrooms and like them well enough in theory. What I don't like about them is the terrible time I have keeping them clean. Between the fingerprints (which I can control easily enough) and the dog and cat nose prints (not so easy to control) it seems like I'll just clean them and notice that night or the next morning while I'm laying in bed that there's smudges on them again. I don't keep my house absolutely spotless, but that's one thing that just drives me batty.

• 15 years ago

I love that ottoman in middle of the that beautiful closet bbstx posted. Looks like a dressing room in a fancy dress shop on Rodeo drive, no?

Bronwyns I looked at pictures of your beautiful homes last night on another thread when I couldn't sleep. You have great style I must say.

.....Jane

• 15 years ago

Msventoux, a paper towel, and a solution of half water, half rubbing alcohol...a quick swipe, and smudges are history.
    Learned that here, and it works wonders.
    Thank you, Jane...another time, we'll commiserate about not sleeping.
    Sheesh.

• 15 years ago

These were done in 2007. Well, actually redone.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 15 years ago

LOL Suero. I'll take that room! Or at least the money that it took to redo that hall of mirrors!

Thank you DirtyMartini. It's nice to be appreciated.
    I found the links doing an image search. I rarely search any other way. The link below will take you to the website the photo was from. I think you could use full length beveled mirrors you can get from Lowes or Ho De and attach them to your current doors.

Isn't it funny how the first photo I linked to is so much like your own room? Too funny. I love that shade of green though. Very pretty. The green walls I have are in the Library. Hubby picked Green Bay Packer green. I had to take his cap to have it color matched. As if I didn't know the color by heart after being married to him (at that time) for almost a quarter of a decade. He's so funny. Gotta love him though.

• 15 years ago

The closet/bathroom that I posted is from "Something's Gotta Give."

By antiqued mirrors, I meant the ones that look like they've not been well cared for; as if the silver backing is peeling and damaged.

Here is a photo from the Southern Living Idea House 2008. I don't know if you can see the mirrors very clearly or not.
    {{!gwi}}

• 7 months ago

I was going to post the same question but found all the answers i needed here, so thanks!

Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x