Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faulstr_gw

What brands if inset cabinets should we consider?

faulstr
10 years ago

We want painted white, simple recessed panel cabinets with inset doors - more traditional style than shaker though. We are getting a price for Shiloh but what other brands would be good to price? A local kitchen designer said she had an Amish cabinet maker who was comparable to her Koch line but I'm not sure what price point those are? We want a decent cabinet but are trying to be budget conscious. This will be a custom build in a nicer subdivision in a small suburb, but we live in a tract subdivision now so are used to Aristokraft cabinets and honestly don't hate them so we don't feel that we need to go too high end.

Comments (17)

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Look at Mouser. Not available in all areas.

We just used them in 2 bathrooms in an office remodel. At the time of the order, there was no up charge for inset.

They are beautiful..amazing quality. much more affordable than what I used in my house 10 yrs ago.

I'm seriously considering this brand for my new home.

• Dawn_At_MasterBrand
    9 years ago

Have you considered Decora? ItâÂÂs part of the same Masterbrand family as Aristokraft, but Decora has a whole line of inset cabinet options. Hawthorne, Plaza, and Yardley are some of the more traditional inset door styles you may like. Please see our website for more details or feel free to ask me your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decora Cabinets Website

• Sms
    9 years ago

Starmark, Candelight and Midcontinent

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I'm very happy with my Crystal Cabinet Works cabinets. They run specials from time to time and they allow you to mix lines between semi-custom and full custom pieces. I think they are considered mid to mid upper range.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Do get an estimate from the cabinet maker. We have had two kitchens done with inset cabs. We liked the custom build, no fillers and saved money as well as space.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I would check and get a price from Amish cabinetmaker. My KD gave me a quote for her starmark and her custom line. Even with some minor tweaking for my need for symmetry (adding), the custom cabinetmaker I went with beat all my KD's quotes (I did not share other quotes) and happens to be Amish. The work is superb. Even as they are currently installing, I'm still asking for some little tweaking here and there. ;)

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

I got a cabinet quote from a higher end inset cabinet company that blew my socks off. A local cabinet maker did a fantastic job for 1/3 less.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

Crystal Cabinet Works and Plato. I think the less expensive line produced by CCW called Keyline may include inset.

• goodguy2k2k
    9 years ago

If you are partly handy, Conestoga cannot be beat for quality and range of options. That being said, they are "ready to assemble" but putting each cabinet together is a breeze. The biggest issue is the overwhelming range of options can almost leave you ....well... overwhelmed. We got an entire kitchen hard maple painted inset shaker with many custom options, plywood boxes, extensive custom panels for ends & island sides, top of the line blum hardware, for a semi custom finished look for $8750.00. Higher quality than most cabs I have seen in even higher end kitchen cabinet stores.

• ktj459
    9 years ago

We are getting Bertch. Even with the 15% upcharge for inset it is still about 2/3 the cost of shiloh. I do like shilohs white colors better, but I couldn't ignore a savings like that when the product didn't seem that different.

• aries61
    9 years ago

goodguy2k2k, what's the size of your kitchen ? Looking at Conestoga myself. Curious, what dealer did you buy from? Did you do a wood hood from them?

ktj459, hard to believe that Bertch is about 2/3 the cost of Shiloh. Always thought Bertch was a higher price cabinet.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

In that range check Showplace and perhaps Medallion. I carry Showplace, Kompy handles both those and Shiloh and I believe she posted her thoughts on them not long ago. Search the forum to see if you can find it.

Aries it can depend on the dealer's markup as well. I regularly beat one Shiloh dealer and run neck in neck with another using SWP. My experience has also been that Bertch is higher. Details can also matter, not just the bells and whistles but the ones that deal with "fit and finish". Combining cabinets, extended stiles and sides, relocated rails, ...things you don't notice unless pointed out or until cabinets are installed.

• ktj459
    9 years ago

Aries- so did I but we priced it just for the heck of it. 9x10 galley not too many bells and whistles was 15500 for shiloh and 9600 for bertch! Both painted, inset shaker, and both through kitchen designers. Bertch even had better options for the corner cabinet at a lower cost. I was really impressed with their options and thought it was strange that it was less. Perhaps the shiloh dealer in my area just had a huge markup?

• aries61
    9 years ago

ktj459, Wow that is a big price difference. The Shiloh quote seems high. Every kd designer has a different mark up. I was talking to one kd and she told me that one of the dealers in my area actually was charging list price for one cabinet line. Not sure if it's true or not but, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Good luck with your kitchen project. You'll have to post pictures for us.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I'm biased because I sell it, but Dynasty quality can't be beat. They make it pretty simple to compare relative prices within their line as they have price rankings on the doors from 0-9. I chose Milena, which is a 1, in inset with a bead for one of our displays. It has a bit of a profile to the inside, and it's not a "plain" straight shaker. I also chose the upgraded profiled slab drawer to add dimension. I think the closeup shots show the details well enough, but aren't quite as good as if I had used a tripod.

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

[Transitional Kitchen Cabinets[(https://www.houzz.com/products/transitional-kitchen-cabinetry-prbr1-br~t_437~s_2112) by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

[Transitional Kitchen Cabinets[(https://www.houzz.com/products/transitional-kitchen-cabinetry-prbr1-br~t_437~s_2112) by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I like TheCabinetJoint.com's Conestoga cabinets. They're RTA, but the options are pretty endless. Plus, they are shockingly simple to put together!