rlfitz

Need help adding more curb appeal to front of house!

rlfitz
Front yard is fairly large with a very big oak tree. Mostly azaleas planted in front of house.

• Emily H
    Your house is really cute! Have you thought about maybe adding some shutters to the windows for a little extra interest?
  • victorianbungalowranch
    I think shutters look odd on big windows and would look crowded anyway.

I would:

1) Move the house or put a bush in front of it
    2) Add some variety to the landscaping--relocate some of the azaleas and add ornamental grasses and taller shrubs--maybe Pampas grass for winter interest, even a trellis.
    3) Expand landscaping --add a nice off-center flowering tree, maybe some beds of ground cover in front, visually extending front sidewalk out and softening the line.
    4) Add a tall modern planter with some greenery in the bare area by the front door.

Add color:

Front door and storm can be painted a nice bright color, like bright blue, yellow, brick red, tangerine, aqua, etc...That alone could do a lot.

The white trim is a little stark, but it kind of depends on what the windows are like. If white vinyl, the outer casing can be changed, but not the inner window trim. Would consider maybe a darker brown, or a lighter shade of taupe.

The area of vertical siding could be accented--maybe a lighter taupe or greenish gray.

Sherwin Williams and other paint manufacturers have paint visualizers that are pretty neat once you make masks (select areas to paint). Fun to play around with, and easiest if you create as many areas as you think you might change to start--adding more later seems more difficult. Bit tedious, but worth it.

And clean the gutters! :)

Here are some houses with similar colors and the one shot of bold color looks really nice.

Need help with curb appeal, path to front of house behind garage

EasyTurf - you'll have a fresh, green lawn all year round without the maintenance ... no mowing, watering, fertilizing, weeding, edging ... when the snow melts, you don't have to worry about mud, brown spots ... All of the money and time you save on your lawn can be spent elsewhere ... And we are GREAT for dogs. Not only are we installed in humane society and other animal shelters across the U.S., Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer, is so impressed with us, he's installed EasyTurf at his Dog Psychology Center in Santa Clarita, Calif., and absolutely recommends us to all of his clients. What question/concerns do you have re: synthetic grass/artificial turf? Cheers! George

Need help adding curb appeal to our house

Your garage is the first thing you see. I'd focus on upgrading the doors. Depending on your budget, you can replace them or paint them. I've seen people do a nice job of painting or adding craftsman hardware or nailhead decoration to fairly standard builder garage doors. So, I recommend you cruise through pics of garage doors on Houzz and find something that will work for you. Also, consider a signature light, instead of that small thing that's trying to look unobtrusive. The tree is hiding your house. If you remove it (sometimes big trees can be moved) put the next one to the left, not blocking your house and not where it will block your house when it grows. I'd upgrade the driveway, too. Probably by putting a brick or stone border. Or replacing the whole thing with paving, depending on budget and plowing requirements. Of course, everything looks nicer in the spring, but your yard is not helping. If you water deeply, the grass will put down deeper roots and need watering less often. You do need to water when it's been well a few weeks with no rain. Don't overfertilize (you don't have to fertilize at all, in fact). Or put down some ground cover. There was an ideabook about replacing your lawn.

Need help with curb appeal for the front of my house

I guess everyone thinks your fore-mentioned plans will do the trick. Now that you have moved the A/C unit and the electric meter, (can you tell me why anyone with a brain would put those things there?) (maybe electicians don't have a brain - I guess I never considered that)............................... I would bring the front walk from the street, to the right of the bed of pachysandra, in toward where the A/C unit once stood, put a nice dogwood in its place, overhanging a little welcoming terrace, with colorful plants in pots, then continue the walk to the little terrace at the front door. To the left of the front doorstep, place a row of upright yews to keep your guests from falling into the garage. Do you follow my intent. Be charming and offer a warm welcome to your friends and neighbors. cascio.offsite@gmail.com

Paint House, New Front Door and Adding Curb Appeal

I think the entry patio can be charming when you are finished with landscape, and like the idea to paint the whole house and take down shutters. Not sure if that is brick or stone from distance of photo . . With the light earth toned roof, what will make it all work well is a mid-tone / deeper trim color. To play up the cottage aspects, you might use a creamy golden undertone white .. something like bm spanish white and then you have lots of options for trim. A grayed blue green trim would be charming paired with a clearer blue green entry door. Something like bm atmospheric for trim http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/atmospheric and boca raton blue for your entry door http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/bocaratonblue The warm undertone in the white will resonate with the golden brown in the roof. The blue-greens have enough green to pick up the same gold undertone . . then try a cottage garden, lots of layered flowering shrubs - mass three to five of the same kind then layer 3 of another kind in front, down to flowering groundcovers . . cut away most of the lawn near the house, make a dg path to the flagstone entry Paint all your pots teal blue and your chairs with rustoleum blue green and aloe green colors . . . choose flowering shrubs with pink, red, yellow, orange flowers .. . . some evergreens for year round color .. .maybe add a walkway arbor to the drive end of the dg path to the front door ..
  • Bonnie
    Notice the black trim windows in the sample picture above. Plus there is a darker trim in the gutter location. This would look nice on your house.
  • lucindalane
    You definitely need some color on the door-or I should say perhaps doors, both storm and main one. Also, that porch light is both too small and looks very awkward, but it doesn't look like there is much room for one that close to the porch. I think that you could put two lights flanking either side of the larger window-either attached to the wall or perhaps hanging from the under side of the roof there. They need to be the kind made out of a material that stands out and won't get lost against the color of the house during the day-and it would carry your curb appeal into the evening hours, too, as I think they would really look great lighting up your house.
  • Dar Eckert
    Some landscaping on the left side of the door would add a lot! Also the plants under the triple window could use a little improvement. A clump birch or a smaller ornamental tree would also soften the look of the front. See if you can get a landscaper to help with the design. Because trees are so long lived I think I would pay one to put a plan together. Replacing them is difficult and expensive.
  • Keitha
    I'm with Emily. I think your home is charming. Maybe add a post light to welcome visitors but the thing I noticed immediately is that your landscaping looks a little tired.
  • mfwolfe
    Very nice house, and I am sure the shrubbery look better in the warmer months. Tucking some halogen lights under the eaves would be much nicer than the porch light, but that's a small detail.
    HomeStory Doors of Orange County
    Based on the trees and leaves on the lawn, it looks like a fall/early winter picture depending upon where you live. The landscaping does look a little tired, but it might just be the season. There are plants that provide color all year round which might be worth considering. Also a different color door or new door could add more curb appeal.
  • ruthieagibson
    How about adding a porch area in front of the window on the left ( make it the full width of that area) . You could add new plantings around the porch and possibly a small tree either centred on the front of the porch or off to one side. Paint the front door a brighter colour ( maybe a green shade )
  • victorianbungalowranch
    Oh I'm sorry, I meant move the hose, not the house, LOL! I think the house is very cute and maybe a deeper color would set it off.
    FineCraft Contractors, Inc.
    Simple renovations here and there can make all the difference. We simply added a second-story balcony to the master bedroom with a pitched roof as well as an inverted dormer. We also painted the house. The bulk of the work took place inside with a whole-house renovation. Thought this advice could help you if you don't want to spend much. Simply renovate the little things to make a big effect.
  • maystgirl
    Cute house! Add a colored walkway and door. Something that pops a little.
  • gimmedap
    No trellis! But do paint the door.
  • malanbzz
    I agree, very cute house. I like the color very much. New landscaping could add alot of curb appeal. I visualize adding lots of texture to the landscape such as a much larger stone landing that extends to the left mostly, a low vertical fence with space between the vertical pieces so it's not too heavy visually that defines the landing and mimics the vertical siding of the house, a meandering sidewalk that does not parallel the house but goes more diagonally towards the driveway, with 3 strategically placed rocks of varying sizes nestled with small plants leading around them to draw the eye down the sidewalk and of course planting all around the area that includes a variety of plants some with very large leaves, some vertical etc..
  • Gene Longo
    What I like about your house is the clean lines - looks like it could be a 60s rancher. So I thought long and hard of ways to enhance it - probably more to the eye from your street than in this picture. I like the monotone colors of the stone and paint colors. I do agree you need some landscaping to the left - and of course you can add colorful flowers in the spring/summer/fall. You should think about sometime tall in the landscaping to the right (not too tall - but add some height on the corner (like a soft Hemlock), maybe some grasses - etc. Talk with a local garden store.

The simple lines of your house make me want to introduce simple contemporary accents. Like house numbers, new lighting fixture, and door hardware.
  • Gene Longo
    Finally - I agree you should consider painting the door/screen door. If you want simple and not a color - I would go with a high gloss black or a dark charcoal gray. If you are not afraid of color - check out the color on the door with the door handle pictures - a deep blue/green with a gray/blue tone (not sure what you call it - but it goes very well with the steel and would compliment your exterior colors. Think of homes from when this era was built - and have fun with it! div>Craftsman Entry by Palo Alto Architects & Designers FGY Architects
    Carolyn Choi
    Your home is lovely and I like the color of the body but think that a nice taupe or tan would look better than the white trim . Below is a doodle of what I think is a creative but economical landscape to compliment your home's architecture. Find a local concrete business that could make you two long rectangular planters and plant them with some graceful ornamental grasses. Make a bed filled with gravel ( either bluestone or brown/beige pebbles ) and place rectangular stepping stones to form a path that joins your sidewalk. Below is a Houzz landscape showing the rectangular stones in a gravel bed.
    Bold Outdoor Living · More Info
  • meng56
    I think you house is really cute too. I agree with others that the landscaping could use some updating. the earlier comment on the tall grasses being added is good, I would put those in mass under the narrow window to the right. Also love the suggestion of a brightly painted color on the door. Maybe even paint the white trim a darker grey. And cover the hose reel in the front with landscaping. Finally you definitely need something in the rest of the front yard so it doesn't look like a field, trees for height, etc. Maybe a welcoming walkway to the door.
  • flopsycat1
    I thought victorianbungalowranch's suggestion to move the house was very creative. We all make little mistakes, but I was charmed by that one.
  • joots07
    suggestions
    - paint the vertical siding by the picture window in a color that blends with the stone surround, maybe off white or greige
    - plant a tall shrub in the right section, to the left of the high vertical window
    - clean up the hose and other stuff on the left end
    - install a storm door with a narrow frame and paint the front door in your favorite color.
    - no shutters! looks great without
    - keep the plantings tidy and low key. one of the charms of your house is its uncluttered look.
  • JAC Frances
    It's a cute house! My first thought when I saw the photo is to make your front door pop with color followed by great hardware: new shiny handles/locks and a kickplate at the bottom to match hardware. Get a decorative cover or container for the hose to hide it. House numbers that are large enough to see from the street (to match hardware) not only look great, they make it easy for people to see the house number. All I mentioned easily done by homeowners. Lastly, your plantings need some help: think bigger, more colorful.
  • Sylvie T.
    Love loads of ideas. I would add a tree or two (one that becomes big depending on city laws, electrical or gaz lines) on that front landscape to even out the dimensions. The landscape needs more variable heights. I also would make a nice wider walkway with large slabs offset. Houzz has nice ideas for that. And, I would add perennials on both sides of the walkway in curved beds(no straight lines).
  • peonyplanter
    I agree that the house is cute. The plant design is where I would focus attention. Perhaps a trellis to the left of the garage window to add some varying height. Everything is the same height, and I would try to vary that with the plantings. What zone are you? It looks like a Christmas wreath, but no snow. Things look sparse, but I wonder if there are any perennials that are there in spring.
  • betbelic19
    Need an additional color door and maybe upper trim on house. Additional planting with more color also. Instead of flag on the house maybe lighted flagpole with landscaping and seating area.
  • sadie88
    You have a darling home! I do agree with Longogene about the bit of contemporary accents. I, too, think that the vertical siding besides your front windows need to be painted differently. If you used one TONE deeper of your current color would be a nice, classy touch. Or even a one TONE darker gray color than your than your current house color would amp up the appeal. Tone simply means a deeper version of a color. There are Light, Medium, and Dark Tones of colors. Also, changing out your storm door for an all glass one without any decorative inserts, just clear glass top to bottom, made for security doors, of course, would add such a lovely, updated look to an already nice home. Be careful of trying to revamp a home by using a whole lot of landscaping plantings. It could just end up looking cluttered and cause you a whole lot of extra work and money. Especially adding a bunch of trees. They just cut out light, grow in unappealing ways, can be very costly to keep pruned, trimmed, and have been touted too often as solutions to a homeowner's curb appeal problems. Grasses can be effective. I have sold homes for 24 years and often run into tree problems that affect the sale of homes AND reduce the profits. Try googling contemporary home exteriors and checking for past Houzz contemporary home exteriors to get many, many example of simple, inexpensive, exterior decor ideas. I see a home that needs simple, but tasteful changes for a truly impressive exterior. Good luck. Please post pics when you are finished. p.s. look for contemporary, simple shutters for the windows on the left side of the home. If nothing appeals to you, it is not written in stone that you need them.
    Mint Design and Development LLC
    Definitely color! I think there are too many things going on here...Vertical wood, brick, horizontal wood, and an odd rectangular window. Have you considered replacing the high rectangular window with one that compliments the others? If you paint the wood and brick one color they will not appear disjointed. Pale grey or white with a bright yellow door are a very welcoming and cheerful combination. I would avoid shutters as you cannot accommodate any which would fit the windows and they should always appear to be working shutters even when they are decorative only. I suggest some updated landscaping including a pair of upright evergreens or espaliers in front of the brick portions. A window box would also add appeal as would a larger lantern on the right side of the door and remove the small one. A curved path from the street to the door lined with bedding plants and a lamppost at the street would also be appealing along with a couple of well placed trees. Enjoy the process! You have a lot of potential there!
  • magilojoh
    what a lovely house! love the trellis from "Garden Design Online" If those are azaleas my guess is that cherry trees would grow well there. I would put a weeping cherry in front and to the right of the tri-window and to the left of the door and farther toward the front of the yard a mount Fuji cherry. They bloom at similar times but about two weeks apart and the weeping is pink and the the mount Fuji gives a sprawling look that looks like bright white popcorn balls. Those and a luscious pop of color on the door -perhaps even a different color for window trim.
  • Chris Tomsett
    As with a lot of foundation plantings the beds are never quite deep enough. I think your house is great....but perhaps a deeper foundation bed with a soft curve on the left incorporating the outside walkway to some extent would visually draw your eye away from the fact that the walkway is close to the house and extends straight toward what I am assuming is the garage. Plants are a personal choice and a consult with a garden pro will help whittle down likes dislikes and make an agreeable combination that you can afford. Money rules us all! I'm all about using what you have. Paint is cheap and the existing colour palette on the exterior of your house which I like, can be enhanced with any color you would like to put on your door.
  • Udai Bhan Ranawat
    how about growing a few palm trees in front and backyard , the roof be decorated with red terracotta tiles and color of the house be ivory white. The house will stand out and make a statement about its aura.
  • epistle
    Really great yard. Expand the landscaping. I'd like to see a curving stone path lined with planting beds.
    Trio Landscaping
    cute house- just needs some extra touches . first off what area are you in- makes a huge difference in plant suggestions that will work for you. Im guessing somewhere midwest...
    second what style do you lean to inside your home? bring those same lines out side- weather its big sweeping curves or straight mod lines
    Expanding the front entry and bringing a better focus to the front door with a more interesting front walk/patio can be a great way to brighten the interest up, then use deep bedlines with groupings of shrubs and perennials, maybe add some pots of annuals ( yes annuals in pots are easier to maintain in our Midwest opinion)- add a window box under the garage window for structure and color
    add more viable house numbers and a accent color to the front door- doesn't have to be bright if that doesn't jive with your other decor....
    only keep the amount of lawn you need.
    SoCal Contractor
    Bolder trim color, shutters?, low, white picket fence, a few trees in the vast grassy areas to break it up.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    Your original post is resurfacing after a year. There have been some additional ideas over this past week. How's it going? Got any updates for us?
  • cocowindsor
    really cute house. I agree with the shutter comments, and perhaps a window box with flowers under the larger windows where there's room. Have you thought about adding a buttress (faux beam detail) under the peak of the roof to the left of the front door?
  • auntiebuzzybee
    Hey FOLK! This is an old post. Don't know if OP is still interested?
    Robin Lechner Designs
    Create 'islands' of plantings in the front yard. Bring in soil and using paving blocks, create different sized areas to plant a variety of evergreens of varying heights. Use some fast growing fruit trees for spring color. Add a curvilinear walkway from the front door to the street instead of leading to the driveway.
  • Margery
    First of all is where ARE you? Judging from the bare trees behind the house you are at least NOT in a 'palm tree' area as suggested by someone! Second question: Who ARE you? IS this a first house? Are you young/older? A retirement house? What kind of a person are you? Bold, shy, insecure, etc. Do you like straight lines? Neat, organized things(importnat here!) or do you like curves and softness? saying the house is 'cute' is definitely not what you asked for, it is useless in other words. You must realize that here you are asking for 'free service' from strangers who have no particular expertize, though some probably do. What drew you to this particular house and how can you personalize it? Make it YOURS and give it personality? As it is, while it is nice and 'cute' it needs someone to LIVE in it, not just stay there! What are your interests? Like gardening or not? PErhaps you haven't even TRIED it? The best advice you can get is when someone tells you is that even if you go to Home Depot and buy plants and little trees, they will cost you so you are much better off if you seek professional help since in the long run it will save you...though there are landscapers who are awful...so choose wisely. At 83 I know that from experience! (and yes, I am currently working with a landscape person and am remodelling a large master bath so I know whereof I speak!)

Since your house can go in several directions depending on what you like, figure that out first! Cottage? contemporary? traditional? soft/hard? You are showing a very 2 dimensional photo of a very 3 dinmensional house. IT is difficult to even tell how deep the entry is or the roof overhang. What direction is it facing (orientation of sun...keep light or shade from it in the apparent living room) Can you add a trellis for example? It is always great to have a COVERED entryway so your guests aren't stuck out in the rain! IS dinky! Move it to the stone wall side and get a big one! This is one time when bigger is better! THis was 'contractor cheapness!' Because of the house's simple lines, you can go either direction...my choice is to soften it with curves and a welcoming entrance. It absolutely must have a WARM doorway...if you like the present color, I'd say ORANGE!

You might blow up the image on your computer then make some cutouts of SMALL trees and space them around, hedge shapes and move them around. I think you need a SMALL flowering fruit tree to the right d=side to break the wall going to the garage and something else medium tall at the right end. REMEMBER, ALL landscape plants GROW or in 3 years you'll rue the day! What colors are the azaleas by the way...that could determine the door color.

I hope I've been helpful but remember, you are asking for FREE advice and what you get is worth every penny>
  • greenboat1
    I think your house is lovely with beautiful lines and needs only two things: All glass storm door and a lovely new door in a natural stained wood finish to match the stone or paint the door a charcoal grey. The landscaping is parrell with the house and needs to curve out more on the left side (half moon) with strong full shurbs as a backdrop with flowers, lilies, or other small foliage layered in front of it. The right side also needs to be filled in with a stronger darker color shrubs such as boxwoods, or plants that grow well in your area. Darker shrubs would really add more interest and richness to the home.
  • h2oville
    If you can afford it, I would add a ledgestone instead of the brick, then paint your door black or charcoal grey. Hire a landscaper; it's unbelievable how much it adds!!
  • Margaret Kottelenberg
    Your house is really nice, just a bit tired looking ... Especially the landscaping and the walkway. Add some grasses to the garden. The garden to left of the porch needs to be larger. I would go with a slate walkway and maybe add an area where you could put a bench and some urns or other potted plants. You need some variable height in you garden. The biggest change need is the front door ... Something in a orange based red or maybe a wooden door. DO NOT add shutters or try to make your house look countrified. That's not what it is. Also, don't overdo it as in the suggestion from Garden Design Online. Keep it simple.
  • janroze
    I am sure there are many good ideas, wish I had time to read all of them, but I don’t. Because I love this style for the best of living, I will try to not only make it more appealing, but more functional.
    Architecture:
    1. Remove shutters from LR window
    2.Large house numbers to right of door
    3.Larger period light - 1950-60s
    4.If that is a hose on the side, hide it in a large pot or garage, it’a not a nice architectural feature
    Landscape:
    1.A taller tree or shrub at corners of house and garage – maximum height 7 ft
    2.Shorter shrubs farther from house corners
    3.Plant larger shrubs or trellis in front of lg walls, sm in front of sm and short in front of windows

5.Leave small plots between house and concrete for gardens and drainage
    6.Lay your hose where you want the edge of the walk and patio. It will make nice soft curves.
    7.New side walk and patio of concrete (colored or not) pavers or aggregate (not for bare feet)
    Living area:
    a.Patio at front of big window, be sure to allow enough depth and width for all you want to do and all the furniture you want on the patio.
    b.Plan FURNITURE for how you want to use it and the space each will take
    c.Chair with small tables for sipping, reading or chatting by the stoop
    d.An umbrella table with lights in area between house & garage – not for shade, but for tall color
    e.Maybe additional tables for eating
    f.Bar under garage window
    g.Chaises for sunning or sleeping in the sunniest spot at the far end of garage walk
    8.Design
    a.Rug and furniture of fun colors for comfort and cheerfulness
    i.Yellow
    ii. Aqua
    iii. deep lavender
    iv.Lime
    v. hot pink, red or Coral depending on color of azaleas
    vi.Front door bright aqua or lime
  • Dar Eckert
    old post
  • 99ways
    add some small shutters and a tall planter by your front door. I think your house looks nice and I'm fussy. The only thing I would really say is LANDSCAPING!! Have a professional landscape designer come in and show you a few designs.You can do the work if you want to save money. It's VERY important to choose plantings that will work in your climate zone. I live in northern Canada and I have a feeling you don't.
  • janroze
    How to get HOUZZ to remove posts over a year old.
  • sheilaskb

I agree with Emily Hurley that shutters would add interest and charm to your house. I would suggest a light silver grey that is lighter than the siding and roof but still will contrast from the white trim. I also would suggest that you let the azaleas branch out and cascade naturally to give curves and softness to the landscaping. You also might make the area in front of the double windows on the left into a ground-level patio for outdoor entertaining or just enjoying the yard. Some patio furniture, potted plants along the foundation and border of the patio, and something to disguise the garden hose will make the exterior look inviting. If you do add the patio, have the stone continued onto the little porch and paint the sides of the porch edges white to match the door and trim.

• sheilaskb

I agree with Emily that shutters would enhance the look of your home, and I suggest white to match the trim and still contrast from the grey siding and beige stone. Where you have the window that is high off the ground you might put a trellis on which orange honeysuckle could climb. I too think your house is very cute and would be improved by adding elements of the cottage style.

BeverlyFLADeziner

2012 post sheilaskb !!!