0

anyone use chalk paint on walls?

dab07

If so, can you post pictures? Does it hold up well? I'm thinking of using it on a bathroom wall. There's a shower in the room, so it gets steamy sometimes.

• 4boys2

Why do you want to use chalk paint ?

• dab07

Ah, ok, good question. I have no experience with decorative wall painting. Maybe it's not the right paint for walls. I'm interested in having a kind of old plaster look. I've seen pictures illustrating techniques where it's done using two colors of paint, and the result is subtle and natural looking. But I've also seen it look overwrought, which I don't want. From what I've read about chalk paint, I got the impression it might be easier to create the look I want than with standard wall paint. I'd like it to be flat and chalky, with no sheen. But maybe its not appropriate for this use?

• jan_in_wisconsin

Chalk paint can be used on walls. You can read about some techniques in Annie Sloan's Quick and Easy Paint Transformations. The book details a lot of furniture projects, however, it also describes painting walls. I haven't tried chalk paint on walls, personally. Here is a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie Sloan's Quick and Easy Paint Transformations

• dab07

Thanks. What appeals to me is all the descriptions of changing it easily if you're not happy with it.

• dab07

Here's a picture of the kind of look I'm after on my wall, in a lighter color though. (Click to zoom in.) See how the paint doesn't look uniform, it's kind of uneven, but subtle? Can this be achieved with regular paint? I know nothing about decorative painting, as I said...

Here is a link that might be useful: painted wall

• chibimimi

Egg, your example looks like it might be Venetian plaster, which I understand is much more difficult to apply than regular paint -- a lot of elbow grease required.

One way to achieve a subtle effect is to find a gradated (is that a word?) paint color strip that contains the general overall color you want. Rather than using that color, use the color just above it as your base coat and the darker color just below as the glaze to over the base. Paint the wall with the lighter color, then apply the glaze using a reverse technique -- that is, you put the glaze on, then take it off with a sponge, rag, or plastic sheeting -- I knew a faux painter that swore by cheap plastic trash bags. Reverse glazing gives a softer, more blended look than sponging or ragging the glaze onto the base coat.

Look online or in faux painting books for instructions on techniques.

• dab07

Thank you Chibimimi, I think you understand what I'm after. A lot of the painting techniques I've seen pictures of look blotchy (I think sponging is one) or amateurish looking, and they scare me off trying them myself.

I don't really know what glaze is. Do you just water down the paint you're using for the second coat? Or do you need to buy a special product?

• 4boys2

Venetian Plaster = Painful

Look into Ralph Lauren Suede = So easy

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/products/paint/Finishes/items.aspx?haid=76

• 4boys2

Sorry I forgot you said in a bathroom.
    Suede scuffs easily .
    Probably not good for a bathroom.
    You can probably "google" it and see if
    anyone has used it for that application.

• chibimimi

Egg, for the glazing you cut the top coat with glazing medium. You can also cut it with water, but it has a tendency to run so you have to be more careful.

Please understand that I have never DIYed a glazed room, but I have done sample boards to show my painter what I wanted; I think I used water. My three small children prevented me actually trying to do a whole room myself. I used crumpled paper towels to remove the glaze; my painters rolled a crumpled wrag over it or spread a split-open trash bag (crumpled again!) over it, then pulled it off. Each of these gives a slightly different look. Experiment a bit to see what gives you the look you are going for.

Sunset used to have a good book out on faux painting techniques and there are several others are around. For awhile it was very popular, but so much was poorly done that it fell out of style. Subtly done, it is still a classic look for a room.

• chibimimi

One more thing: always put the dark over the light. Putting light over dark gives you a cloudy look, as if a talcum powder can exploded in the room.

• bleigh

Adding my own opinion here...if your room gets steamy when the shower is in use and if you use that shower regularly...you may be inviting mold growth. On flat paint that's going to be nasty to try to clean. I personally can't stand flat paint in a bathroom and for several reasons only use semi gloss on the walls and ceiling. Never had any issues with mold on that finish, but can't tell you how many homes I've been with flat paint and mold in the bath. I am by no means a professional and really have limited knowledge so maybe someone will be able to suggest otherwise...

I'm sure there are mold retardant additives that you can use for other sheens so you may want to check into that before you go to the trouble of painting a lovely technique that won't hold up to a humid room.

• dab07

Thanks, this is good to know. I'll see if I have the energy to experiment with paint when I'm done with the cabinetry. As I said, the prevalence of bad faux painting discourages me. Still, I'm intrigued by this two color process....

• mdrive

to vickie:

can chalk paint be used over a textured wall finish? my lower level was done in a pretty aggressive 'orange peel' coating and i really dislike it ....the thought of skim coating the entire space and the sanding involved is just not something i want to get involved in....so i guess i wonder if a coat of chalk paint would at least soften the texture...TIA

• Circus Peanut

I don't know what 'chalk paint' is, but I'm assuming it's some commercial variant of classic milk paint. Someone over in the Kitchens forum used milk paint on their dining room walls and it looks great, with just the matte and subtle differences in tone you're looking for.

It's marketed as "safe paint" and it's formulated for walls, but you can also just use regular milk paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk Paint for Walls (great photos too)

• Tara Cook

I live in my 1989 RV. I have used chalk paint on the walls, cabinets and countertops. Also just finished the bathroom walls. If you use the clear wax over the paint you shouldn't have any issues. My counters were pink. I used 2 colors of chalk paint and antique wax. They have clear and white also. No prep required except to spackle holes. I love it.