Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarne2001

Long time lurker...with pics of our finished kitchen.

Jarne2001
11 years ago

So, I've been lurking here for awhile...lot's of good info and experience here. We recently completed a complete remodel of the kitchen so wanted to finally post. First off, the before:

Wall dividing kitchen and dining room:

Inside tiny kitchen (notice the soffits, I HATE soffits):

Lack of storage, using the top of the fridge:

Classy hanging drawer front:

Twilight zone, no real work space or storage:

The ol' workhorse...probably the only thing we kept:

Comments (83)

• westsider40
    11 years ago

It is all so fabulous! I love your kitchen and the wainscoting in the dining room is beautiful. Elegant and homey and warm and comfy and pretty--and so functional. I can see myself having a cuppa and chatting and asking to wash the lettuce cause it would be so nice to work in your kitchen. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

I'm a DIYer (not in your class) and I am totally impressed. I love the furniture feel to the cabs, and the overall look. I am seriously awed with that corner drawer cab!

Can you tell me what resources you used for the cabinet design?

Enjoy your kitchen!

• nini804
    11 years ago

OMG...you made all of those cabs??? And painted them??? What an amazing job! You should be extremely proud of yourself...it is a wonderful kitchen.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Wow! What an amazing job. I'm impressed with how quickly you got it done. We are to begin a remodle on Mon but we are having it done. My DH is a DIY person but decided not to take this one on although he will be doing some things himself.....lighting, backsplash and under cabinet lighting. His work is impeccable but his time lines stink! You should be proud of yourself.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Inset doors aren't easy but you did a great job. It all looks wonderful, and everything works together so well. I love the counters. Please report back on how hard or easy they are to keep.

• eriepatch
    11 years ago

VERY impressive!!! You have reason to be proud for sure!!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Much nicer than the old kitchen (understatement!)!!! Love the walnut counters--gorgeous!

• mermanmike
    11 years ago

Bravo!!!!! This one is so inspiring, not just because it turned out so beautifully, but because you've reinvigorated my own belief that I can handle my DIY reno that is moving along sluggishly. Thank you for sharing!

• owataqt
    11 years ago

What more could I say other then....

Incredible......

Your kitchen looks sooo soooo soooo incredible.
    I know how hard and tedious painting those cabinets are. But oh my goish you did everything. Iam so impressed

Awesome JOB

Beautiful kitchen..

What a change.. I keep scrolling through back and forth..back and forth

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Wow! You are an extremely talented craftsman. I am in awe of the transformation. Everything looks wonderful.

• Jarne2001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ mabeldingeldine.....regarding cabinet design.

My two main reference books were:

'Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets' by Jim Tolpin....great old school style construction book.

'Building Kitchen Cabinets' by Udo Schmidt...a little more contemporary with his skills but also very good.

Plus just years of tinkering around with woodworking and other house projects.

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

phenomenal work, I love the ceiling and your attention to detail!
    Lynn

• NewSouthernBelle
    11 years ago

I am so impressed you did it all yourself. That is just awesome. The counter top and ceiling are both fabulous.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Wow. Has that been exclaimed? :)

I have two questions, from one DIYer-by-poverty to another brave DIYer!

1) Not very important, but a point of curiousity. Did you stay within your $10K budget?

2) I'm getting ready to install my own inset doors. I haven't, because I don't know how to get that tiny, perfect spacing around the doors. What did you use to properly hang them? And the drawer fronts? I have read double sided tape on the latter, but again, there has to be something there because you only get one chance!

3) Can you come over and finish my dream? I mean Kitchen!!

Very, very well done.
    Congrats!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

wow! you are super talented!! congrats on an amazing accomplishment!! hope you are enjoying your new kitchen!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Very, very beautifully done! What a classy (and classic)looking kitchen. The tile is a nice touch and everything else really works perfect together. Just nice, nice, nice!

• lalithar
    11 years ago

I am stunned!,this so fabulous. Please submit this to some magazine/contest.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I think it's all been said already so I ditto everyone else's comments. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Your kitchen is fantastic as are your DIY skills. Congratulation and enjoy!

• total_remodel
    11 years ago

I will just add my awe and admiration to the others....fantastic job!

• KBH
    11 years ago

Beautiful, and so amazing you DIY. I hope you are happy with your faucet's performance - the same one is being installed next week with my cabinets.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Morning!
    I forgot a question last night. In this pic:

what did you use to attach the drawer face to the box at the bottom?
    I have a box under my farm sink that's going to have a taller drawer front like that and I"m afraid of it pulling apart.

couldn't help coming back to look again.
    Great job!

• springroz
    11 years ago

Did you make the countertops too?? I don't think I have ever seen the grain run front to back before. They are gorgeous!

We are having ours made, since we cannot even sharpen a pencil around here!!

Thanks, Nancy

• shelayne
    11 years ago

Holy cow! You made those cabinets?? I am floored by your talent! They look amazing!

That walnut is gorgeous, and the whole kitchen has such a homey, comfortable, and classic vibe. I love your flooring as well!

What an incredible space you have created! Your wife must be ecstatic! Congratulations--it's wonderful!

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Amazing work! I'm so so impresed by your cabinets! I'm impressed by the whole thing, but what a great job you did building the cabinets! The wainscoting is beautiful! The countertop is gorgeous! I can't wait to see your island. What a job well done, and what satisfaction you can have sitting an looking at your own work!

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

Counter top is gorgeous!!!

You did a phenomenal job!!

Congrats!!! Enjoy !!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

You "nailed" it. Perfect. I especially like the floor to ceiling tile in one area. Beadboard ceiling is great, too.

And under 10k??? Hard to believe!

Hope you enjoy your kitchen!

• Missy Benton
    11 years ago

That's outstanding. I'm in total awe of people who have this talent!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

You are to be congratulated big time! What great work and design, just lovely. The walnut butcher block is beautiful. My goodness, you must be more than happy and proud.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Jarne. My BIL is a firefighter and has a schedule exactly like yours and has learned to do exactly the kind of art that you have done here.

I am in awe. This is a gorgeous room. Congratulations!

• scootermom
    11 years ago

Standing ovation here!! Fabulous job. I can't stop scrolling up and down to look at everything you did!! It may be under $10K but it looks like a million bucks!

• Snbtwins
    11 years ago

Beautiful! You did an amazing job, your wife must be thrilled!

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

AMAZING. I am stunned that cost less than $10K - it looks like a $40K+ reno! You did a great job. Please post pics of the finished island.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Same with us. We did a lot of our kitchen, but not the cabinets themselves. Good for you!

This is one of the kitchens where you don't tell them who built it until after people look at it. Then you say "I wonder if you know my contractor?"

• jmcgowan
    11 years ago

You must be SO thrilled. And proud! You did a fantastic job, and it's incredible that you put so much time and effort into this project, and did it all by hand. It's truly yours, and it turned out well. Congratulations on your beautiful space, I hope it makes you smile every time you step foot in your kitchen!

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Oh my...absolutely amazing! Great job! Enjoy all your hard work!

• anrol
    11 years ago

What can I say that has not already been said? Really beautiful!!!

• Ivan I
    11 years ago

Holy smokes.

I took a cabinet-making class from my local Woodcraft.
    Result: a garage lower cabinet with 1 drawer that would not close. Even the instructor could not figure it out what I had done wrong.

My favorite detail about your kitchen:
    I love that you continued the backsplash tile up and down the whole wall after the cabinets ended, and over the door. I think that looks classy and European.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I took a cabinet-making class from Woodcraft, too. And the "prerequisites" since I knew nothing.

We weren't allowed to set the settings on tools, but could push wood thru them. We weren't allowed to make mistakes because the instructor didn't want to have "that" coming out of his class.

I did learn what zillions of my tools were, though.
    And I did get the gist of making boxes, which is what cabinets ARE!!

Oh - and I learned about the Kreg pocket jig which changed everything.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Just fabulous! What a talent you are!

• golddust
    11 years ago

I love every single thing about your new kitchen. I am so impressed.

• Jarne2001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I'll try to hit the questions I am seeing here.

- Regarding door/drawer spacing for inset doors/drawers: I took the finished door/drawer opening on the cabinet and made sure to allow for an 1/8" gap when cutting doors and drawer fronts to fit in the opening. One of the learning curves for me building cabinets was understanding how even a 1/16" difference is visible. This was a difficult concept to grasp for someone who is used to doing rough framing (building decks and framing walls) where being 1/4" off is no big thing. Also, it was very important to make sure everything was perfectly square. Keeping things square and careful measurement meant everything fit when it was time for assembly. Minuscule adjustments were made with a hand planer.

- Attaching drawer fronts was a little tedious. I wound up tipping the cabinet on it's back, and simply laid the drawer front in the opening (on the drawer box.) Once I got it positioned, it got clamped and screwed in with two temporary screws from inside the drawer. When it was time for final install after paint, I simply removed the temporary screws, drilled proper counter sunk holes, added some wood glue and the screwed them in from the inside. Drawer pulls were also installed from the inside which also provided more attaching points. I highly doubt these drawer fronts will ever come loose.

- Installing doors and gapping them was pretty similar to the drawer fronts. One trick that I figured was using a finish nail like a shim; their diameter was about the exact gap I was looking for. I'd place them loose between the door and cabinet, position the door (which moved easily along the nails like rollers), clamped the door and screwed them to the hinges. I used an old school hinge to keep the traditional look but they were slightly adjustable for final install.

- Regarding the lower cabinet doors being used as a drawer front and how I attached them: This was done just like the drawer fronts, except I simply used more screws to attach them from the inside. This, plus sufficient wood glue, held them in place just fine. Also, keep in mind, the drawer boxes themselves are hard maple....nice and secure for the screws to hold to. The drawer slides are also effortless so there really is no torque on the fronts when pulling them open. I was concerned about this, but even fully loaded, they open effortlessly and my concerns are assuaged. I'm confident they won't come apart.

And thanks again for all of the kind words, comments and questions.

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

Amazing! I love how high end this kitchen looks. It is so beautiful and tasteful. Wow- cant believe you did it yourself. Gorgeous!

• Jarne2001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whoops, missed the countertop question:

We bought these from Butcher Block Co. (which I would highly recommend BTW.) One design feature I pushed for was to have the grain run in all one direction. I wanted to see those end grains from the dining room and I didn't want a mitered corner AT ALL (kinda defeats the purpose of having the grain run in all one direction.)

We could've had them fully customized to fit our kitchen....but that comes at a price. to keep costs down, we ordered a couple various sizes of their pre-made slabs and then cut them onsite. One spec that we did ask for was that they not finish the edges (round over the cut edges.) I wanted them completely square so that we could cut them, biscuit and ring bolt them together without a gap showing. Once we had them all installed, we finished the edges with a palm sander....just knocked down the sharp edge and then sealed them with several coats of Waterlox. We don't do food prep directly on them so Waterlox was the choice for us.

Once we do the island, I'll be ordering up an end grain maple top from them and that will finished with mineral oil only as it will be used for food prep.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

WOW, and Congratulations!! You just pulled off an amazing, truly craftsman job and it looks wonderful! You should be very proud. Love all the little custom touches!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

mouth dropped open...:O
    I am in awe.

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

I'm a big admirer of the whole-wall tiled look. So thank you for doing it and providing me the eye-candy!

• minneapolisite
    11 years ago

Tell me more about your beadboard ceiling! I want a similar look in our kitchen and am curious how expensive it is, and how difficult to install. :)

• boxerpups
    11 years ago

Amazing transformation.

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

What a wonderful transformation! I love everything about it and appreciate you sharing the details. The fact that your first try at cabinet building you perfected inset speaks to your prefectionism and it shows in all the details throughout your kitchen and DR remodel. You truly are a craftsman! The whole thing is beautiful--enjoy!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Good thing you have a work schedule where you get so much time off - it will take you a LONG time to read through the glowing comments! All I could think going through it is "Wow."

I especially love the ceiling, wainscoting, and countertops. Amazing job! Please post again when you finish the island.