bluedidi

RECIPE: Melissa's Tangy 'Cream' of Potato Soup--vegan

bluedidi

Hi, folks! I have been working on some veggie recipes over the last couple of years (that's when I began to write them down, anyway!)--with the hopes of someday publishing my own cookbook. i would be honored if a few of you who try what I post would critique them for me and give me some feedback!

All of my friends and family love what I cook; but I want to know what strangers think, too! All of my recipes are vegetarian; and those that may list dairy products are quite compatible with alternative ingredients--I prefer to use the alternatives myself.

Anyway; here's the first of the many I plan to post. I hope you enjoy it!

Melissa's Tangy "Cream" of Potato Soup

8 medium potatoes, scrubbed (not peeled); cut into 1" chunks

1 cup baby carrots, chopped

1 medium white onion, chopped

10-12 cloves of garlic, minced

2 cups plain soymilk

1/3 cup margarine

1/2 TBSP dill seed

1 TBSP balsamic vinegar

salt and pepper, to taste

1) In a large pot, boil the potatoes with 1 tsp of salt.

2) Add the chopped carrots after about 5 minutes.

3) In a small saucepan on the side, saute the garlic and

onions until they are soft and slightly browned. Remove

from heat, and set aside.

4) Once the potatoes begin to break down, drain the

majority of the water into the sink. Make sure to leave

at least enough liquid to cover the potatoes and carrots

(about 4 or 5 cups).

5) Add the garlic, onions, soy milk, margarine, and dill

seed. Using a hand-held whisk or potato masher, mash

everything together until the mixture has thickened. If

you prefer creamier vs. chunkier, you can use an electric

mixer.

6) Simmer concoction over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Stir

frequently to prevent scorching. Do not allow to boil.

7) Before serving, stir in balsamic vinegar. Add salt and

pepper, if desired.

This makes a lot of soup! If you have a small family, it will be enough for two meals. I know that 10-12 cloves of garlic sounds insane to some; but I promise, it really adds to the "tang!" If you prefer a little less garlic, feel free to reduce the amount when preparing.

• bluedidi

ooops! I forgot to include the cooking spray or olive oil for the onions and garlic. Forgive me, I am pregnant, and inclined to absent-mindedness these days.

I saute the onions and garlic in 1/2 TBSP of olive oil; but if your prefer a cooking spray for lower fat, it works just as well. I've tried it both ways; and have found that when I use oil it is cleaner. With the spray I often have to re-spray halfway through the process. And by that time my kitchen has begun to fill with smoke! It would probably be fine on a lower cooking temperature; but I am an impatient saute-er. What can I say?
    Forgive my omission!

Melissa

• omabaker

Just found this site. Looked at your soup & thought, that's a winner. Tried it. IT IS a winner. Have been working on a cookbook myself & I know how much work is involved. Good luck on yours. Oma (means grandmother in german & all my grandchildren call me that)

• alyndale

my husband is a slight vegetarian and he likes to try different recipes for me to cook he found your recipe and he loves it. i would suggest to just puree half of the soup and mixed it with the rest of the soup it makes it a little creamier and chuckier. i did it that way because husband likes it that way. and maybe ill also try pelled potatoes. thank you for the potato soup AND good luck and hope to see more recipes in here

• Kiwi_oz

sounds good I will try it out on my vegan grand daughter