Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbfancyface

1918 farmhouse kitchen remodel-can't decide on kitchen sink- help!

jbfancyface
11 years ago
sorry I tried to attach pictures but it is not working from my iPad. Would love you vote or suggestion.
Option 1: apron front farm sink
Option 2: single basin Farmsink with drain boards
Option 3: double basin Farmsink with high back

Thank you

Comments (21)

• Regina Wood
    11 years ago
    I can't live without a double sink at my house but have an old 1930's Youngstown single sink with drainboards at my lake house that I love just as well. If this is your house, get the double!
  • Regina Wood
    11 years ago
    I can't live without a double sink at my house but have an old 1930's Youngstown single sink with drainboards at my lake house that I love just as well. If this is your house, get the double!
  • PRO
    Mary Dancey Interiors
    11 years ago
    Can you post pictures later? Would love to see your turn of the century home :)
  • jbfancyface
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I will post pictures throughout the remodel. Start date is March 2013- just getting my plans together...
  • PRO
    Mary Dancey Interiors
    11 years ago
    Oh how we love before pictures :) I'm sure you could live with a single but you have to decide how and when you're going to use it? Will it be the only sink? Will there be a prep sink somewhere else in the kitchen?
  • jbfancyface
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It is going to be a fun project...this will be the only sink in the kitchen.
  • PRO
    LM Designers
    11 years ago
    I would use the apron front single bowl farm sink. Kohler makes a 36" wide one that is beautiful. It is large enough and deep enough(9") to bath a baby in. Most people currently rinse dishes and pots off then stick them in the dishwasher which eliminates the need for the double bowl.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Deep and double!
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    Only problem with a great big single bowl sink is you need so much water to wash anything in it. Plus, then you don't have any place to set things to drip dry. I really like the look of my single bowl sink, but if I were doing it from scratch and choosing what I wanted, regardless of budget, I would go for the farmhouse sink with the short divider so you have two shallow bowls or one wide bowl at the top.

In my dream vintage kitchen, I would have an apron front double bowl sink with at least one drainboard...something at least 48" wide. Of course, my dream vintage look kitchen would have plenty of room for that big sink and the big stove and ....
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    A big single sink is good if you need to wash roasting pans, cookie sheets, and pasta pots. For everyday washing up, it is a good idea to have a plastic dishpan for washing and another for rinsing.
    The large single sink with an integrated drain board that extends from one side of the sink at counter height is handy. A high back where the hardware goes prevents splashing on the counter behind the sink.
    You will have to scour the sink with baking soda every day. Metal makes marks, and blueberries, pomegranates, and cranberries can stain it.
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    Here is a partial photo of a sink with an integrated drain board.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Photos need to be in jpeg format to attach. Convert them and see if it works.
  • diannagail
    11 years ago
    I have a double with apron front from ikea and I love it. Best price I could find.
  • PRO
    House of Tudor Design Ltd
    11 years ago
    Try the double farm sink from Ikea, I've used it twice and love it, priced great too!
  • jbfancyface
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Fenny- the picture you have attached was the one that I have that I also love... Great points. I have some thinking to do. I will post pictures and ask more questions in the coming months. Thanks for your help!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    But jbfancyface, is a version of that double farm sink with a high back available today? I was surprised and thrilled to see it on your list of choices because I always assumed, from this photo, that it wasn't available except through salvage. The photo lists it as a salvaged antique sink. So is it really an option? Or have you found a salvaged one? Just curious, as I love that sink design.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Hard choice. I love high backe--so practical and easy to clean up, and with integrated drainboards, so nice to have dedicated drain space.

I once had an 1930s apartment with original sink that had both! Loved that place to bits--all kinds of neat built-ins and original features.

Just to add to your woes, faucetsdirect has really reasonably priced stainless Kraus sink/faucet combos, including an apron front. I don't like ceramic because I break my glasses too often unless I use a dishpan or a liner. http://www.faucetdirect.com/kitchen-sink-and-faucet-combo/c38116

Here is some picks of the IKEA and with their faucet (about $450 combined) and it doesn't have to be undermounted!

Check out this for the low-down on how happy one person is with it: http://www.lilyfieldlife.com/2012/07/loving-my-ikea-domsjo-sink.html

The other is the Kraus I'v been drooling over, but can't use because it is an undermount. It is around $590-700 with the faucet, depending on the options you pick.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Oops, Kraus has a variety of faucet types too.
  • jbfancyface
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    fenny I actually have a salvage one that is in great shape available to me. It is just so cool...
    Thank you for all of the great tips.
  • sequigle
    8 years ago
    I am buiding a farmhouse kitchen as well and going with a high backed single with drain board...may not be as practicle as a double but it is more of the time period...well I think so and it looks great!