gardenwebber

Furniture placement for L-shaped FR

gardenwebber

I have attached a quick sketch of our family room. There are many issues in this room that make arranging furniture a real pain.

First, there is a closet in the back of the room that creates a bit of an L shape. Then, the entry to the room is only 32" wide and cannot be made bigger. (this creates a bottle neck at times, but then does give a larger expanse of wall for placing furniture, so I guess its a bit of a trade-off)

We have a sofa, loveseat, and chair. Also, a 50" TV and computer armoire (taller, closet style with doors)

Do any of you great ladies have any ideas for a way to arrange this furniture of mine?

Eventually, we will buy new pieces. This set is from a different home and wasn't necessarily picked out for this space, but we are trying to keep it for a few more years.

Thanks in advance!

{{!gwi}}

• threedgrad

Can you get rid of the closet? It seems to be in a weird place anyway.

• gardenwebber

Threegrad - you're right - it is in a wierd place, and, it is barely functional (it has one tiny door that swings IN and all of the space inside is hard to access.) It is roughly 7 feet wide by 3 feet deep.

BUT - it is a good closet for games, spare or out of season jackets, extra blankets, and sleeping bags. We are planning on revamping the door to make the whole thing more accessible.

PLUS - to take out the closet would mean disturbing our tongue and groove ceiling (does not continue into the closet) then we're taking on a big big project (and we're just wrapping up our kitchen reno, so not up for another quite yet!)

The room is roughly 16 X 20, for scale purposes.

Furniture Arrangement in L-shaped living/Dining room

@janishill the place is still under construction, right now it has the walls, doing the electric tubing and plumbing. So I can adjust doors and walls INSIDE the apartment. I will post pic when possible. The access is from the left side, and there is a door between the kitchen and the small corner in the living room (plz check the pic i posted in my previous comment) @Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design I was thinking about a built in stove, it will take space from the apartment itself. The fireplace is not a necessity, I can do without it, but I thought it would be nice :)

Need advice on furniture placement in odd shaped family room

An L shaped sectional would be nice in this room. I would float the L in the center of the room. (back to the 15' wall) Try centering the furniture on a large rug placed in front of the fireplace. Then I would put the TV on the 11' wall. Get a bookcase or shelves for that area or a low credenza for the TV.

Advise on arranging furniture in L shape living and dining room

It is always YOUR option as to whether or not you keep the parts of the sectional together or even if you use them in the same room, especially if the configuration limits your furniture placement options in an awkward way. Will the bookcase shown be going under the mounted tv and/or have you considered turning the bookcase shown at a right angle and using it as a room divider -- perhaps even facing the kitchen as additional storage for that room, and then placing furniture in front of it. ... and/or will the sectional fit between the door and the kitchen, perhaps adding a bookcase or shelving or table on that side. Edit to add: You could still keep the tv on the same wall even after cancelling the order for the sectional. Add a bookcase or wood shelving below the tv (preferably with cabinet doors. Depending upon the size of the tv and making sure you leave room for air circulation, you could even add more shelving above and end up with a built in look along that wall. You could even turn a couple of the same boards used for the bookcase or shelving (same wood finish) vertically to hang them in the space behind the opened door with a "hat rack" hook(s).

L shaped kitchen with large very low window

I have an L shaped kitchen with a small island - it is a closed kitchen so two walls without cabinets and I like it. I like the "blank" walls because I rather like the unfitted kitchen look - one put together with some pieces of "furniture" rather then all built ins. So I have a pie-safe that works as a pantry on one wall. If my space was larger I would have put something like a Welsh dresser on the other wall, but instead it has a cart for my microwave and a another small basket piece - don't know what to call it. (My kitchen is much older, but there are some pictures in my idea book.) I like not having cabinets all around and room for a little decor.
  • gardenwebber

Any ideas, anyone? Or, any general information about arranging furniture in an L-shaped room?

• camlan

Can you make two separate spaces in the room? I'm thinking of a TV watching area and a reading/board game area.

What I'd do is put the TV armoire against the wall with the entry door. Then float the sofa several feet in front of the closet door, to give both give access to the closet and a prime TV viewing angle. Then put the loveseat at right angles to the sofa, facing the window to the back yard.

Then create a second seating area, to the right of the closet. You'd need a table and some chairs for playing board games. You could put your existing chair here, with a side table and a lamp for reading.

• jakabedy

Is there only the one entry to the room? Will there be a TV in the room? No fireplace?

• cliff_and_joann

The room is very nice with the large windows on both sides. Your only problem is the closet. If you move the door to the end of the closet, you'll have a space for the 50" tv. I drew a layout for you. If you don't want a love seat, you can use two chairs with a table in the middle

I made a little reading chair in the corner with a floor lamp behind it. A nice table next to it to hold a small selection of books would be nice. Keep the end tables next to the sofa small. I couldn't tell how wide the sofa wall was -- if two tables don't fit eliminate the one on the left.

Joann

• gardenwebber

Camlan -

Here is a new and improved drawing to scale, with squares to visualize the square footage. Is this anything like what you are suggesting?

{{!gwi}}

• gardenwebber

Joann - Wow - thank you for putting so much effort into your suggestion. I really appreciate it.

I attempted your layout with my own mock-up drawn to scale, do you think this will work? I don't think we'd have to change the door, either. I think there is enough room on the closet wall for the TV and the door to the closet.

{{!gwi}}

• gardenwebber

Just for fun, here is our current set up. I don't really like scooting behind the couch to get to the computer armoire.
    {{!gwi}}

I like both of your ideas, but am wondering where to put the computer armoire in both scenarios?

• cliff_and_joann

Try the computer next to the reading chair by the closet. (take away the end table)
    You currently have the tv in the bottom right corner?

• gardenwebber

Joann - yes, its in the corner. We've tried the TV just about everywhere. This was just our latest attempt at trying to make it all work somehow.

One more consideration I just realized. The only lighting we have is one ceiling fan placed as you see in the diagram below, the big red dot. We haven't tried many arrangments on the other side of the room because of that fan!

Our ceiling isn't easy to patch, being that it is tongue and groove wood. That is why we haven't fussed with the lighting much.

What a mess, huh??

I think this room used to be two rooms because there is a beam that runs on the ceiling (also noted in the diagram, big red line)

And, the fan is placed at midpoint from the right side of the beam to the far right wall.

{{!gwi}}

• cliff_and_joann

Don't fuss over the ceiling fan, when the room is done, it will be viewed in it's totality, no one will focus on the ceiling fan. Can you try the tv on the wall, where I suggested?
    You can also put the sofa on the wall under the backyard window and the tv across from there.

• gardenwebber

Joann- Yup, I am going to try your idea tomorrow. I am going to try Camlans too, because I love the idea of having a game table in the room. I just don't know if that is pushing it, with the room we have.

Changing the door on the closet is possible, but it won't be easy (plaster and lathe.)

Thanks everyone - any more ideas are welcome!

• gardenwebber

Joann -

We tried your idea with the TV against the closet and the couch against the wall at the top, but it just doesn't work. It doesn't allow for enough seating that is in good viewing angle with our TV. In that arrangement, the people on the loveseat can't see the TV at all, really. But thanks for trying... I know this room is a bear!

So, I tried Camlans idea, and now our FR is organized like this:

{{!gwi}}

The piece to the right of our TV is a narrow audio tower/bookshelf that matches the piece that holds our TV.

My two complaints are:

1- The computer armoire is tucked in the little area behind the sofa and next to the closet, and I wonder if it looks bad there

2- We have a small area to get into the TV part of the FR, there right when you walk in the door, and I wonder if it feels/looks like a bottleneck.

Other than that, it is very functional - but I want it too look nice, too. I do sometimes feel like the person sitting in the reading chair in the corner is "left out". Seems odd to have the chair facing the backs of the two sofas.

What do you think? Just looking for some feedback.

• gardenwebber

bump

• Valerie Noronha

What I'd suggest is to move the sofa, end table and loveseat all the way to the lower right corner of the room (if it does not fit in that direction, then exchange the loveseat and sofa), then place the TV on the long wall and slide it as far as you can to the right. Put your chair to the left of the closet door, near the sofa and if room and budget allow squeeze in another small end table--I'd suggest a round one. Then put the computer armoire in the corner where the TV is now. It would be nice to create a little out of the way corner for the person working on the computer and keep that separate from the TV/social area. This also puts the armoire closer to the closet which is nice if you store any office related supplies as well. I like the closet in the room and while it does create a decorating challenge it also creates a bit of a separation too as well which can work to your advantage.

• gardenwebber

Valinsv: Thank you for your input. Is this what you are envisioning?

{{!gwi}}

The only disadvantage to that is that our large window on the left faces our backyard and actually opens so I was excited about being closer to that window with the other arrangement. Also, we get some morning light from the front windows, and in this second arrangement, the furniture blocks that somewhat. Also, I was planning on long drapes for the windows and with the furniture in front of them, it makes it hard to open the drapes.

I have a bear of a time with this room, as you can probably tell!

• Valerie Noronha

That looks nice, as it makes the room look more spacious don't you think? The only difference is that I was envisioning the computer armoire not angled as you have it--but against the wall. The other option I'd like to see is to swap the sofa and loveseat and put the two end tables plus the loveseat in the nook area. That way you'd still have a nice view out the backyard window from the sofa, though perhaps less ideal for TV viewing. How many members view the TV on a regular basis at the same time?

I don't think your room looks large enough to float the furniture plus my experience has been when I float a loveseat it is not heavy enough to stay in it's place and slides all over--unless you were to put a console table behind it which I don't think you have the room for.

I know you'd like to do floor length drapes, but I think that will limit your options a lot. What about some woven wood shades, or wood blinds with decortive valances on top? We just moved our family room sofa under the windows and DH and I were pleasantly surprised how much we liked it. We could see out the window while lounging there and/or feel the sun shining in on us. We also have a similar nook and it created a more intimate seating area to talk with less distractions than when we'd earlier floated the sofa in the center of the room.

Ultimately you'll see things things that we do not so you'll know best what you like the most and how you enjoy the views and light in the room. Sometimes you need to try out a new arrangement for a few days to see if it works or not. What I would suggest though is to get the layout right first, then choose a WT option that works with the layout that is most comfortable for you and your family.

• Valerie Noronha

Is that door in the picture the door to the exterior?

If not, is it an option to remove it?

• gardenwebber

The door in the upper right is the entry to the FR from the DR. It is the only entry. The door in the lower left is the door to the closet.

Yes, I agree, that you need to actually put the layout in action before you say "yay" or "nay". We've had the layout that I posted first (Sep 30, 12:01) for a couple days and that is how I discovered the bottleneck entry and the odd look of the computer behind the couch, there.

Yes, I also agree that we need the layout pinned down first, then choose WT. We are painting the walls and getting a new carpet in a month, so I am trying to get all of these decisions made at once and its really hard.

Yup, this new layout does open things up a bit. I don't think that the loveseat/sofa swap will work for the reason you mentioned - TV viewing problem. We have "movie night" a lot, and with 3 kids (and kids friends) we need the seating. Our TV is projection, which also limits the prime viewing angle a bit.

I like your idea of woven wood blinds. The three windows in this room are all oddballs and different from one another. I posted this diagram in another thread to show the three windows:

{{!gwi}}

How would I handle the window with the large pane in the center and the casements on the sides? Would I get 3 separate shades?

How are woven shades for evening privacy? We have a bit of a farmhouse feel in our home, so would woven wood shades be farmhouse enough? I have a thing for lace, so I had planned on lace panels underneath drapes hung on rings that I could pull at night to cover the lace for privacy. But, it was just an idea, not carved in stone.

Sorry for all the branching off questions. I am very needy in the world of decorating - it is not my forte!

• gardenwebber

Val - here is the 2nd layout you suggested:

{{!gwi}}

I like the first one you suggested.

• Valerie Noronha

You must be so excited to be making these changes!! Did you pick a paint and carpet colors yet? I could not see the earlier pictures in this thread as they were moved or deleted so perhaps you can repost so I can get a better feel for the style of your room.

Now we know more about how you use the room and lifestyle, we can make some better suggestions. With so many windows at different locations it must be wonderful to always be getting sunlight at different times of day, though for TV watching and using a monitor, I would imagine that light control and privacy are equally important.

I mostly suggested the woven woods as they are so vertile and work well with many different types of decor. I don't see them working well with lace curtains though. If I were to do woven shades. I'd put three (or maybe even four) for the casement window, depending on if you did 1-2 for the single hung window. Just my two cents, but your room with both a large screen projection TV and a computer plus so many differently shaped windows at almost every wall would work better without any floor length treatments. That does not mean you could not work any lovely fabrics and/or lace in them if you wish to give it that farmhouse feel. Pate Meadows makes some lovely valance tops which would work well paired with wood blinds and bet you could even work some lace into the valances. I'd suggest starting a new thread on this as there are others better than I with WT options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pate Meadows

• Valerie Noronha

I think either could work, though in the second, prefer to see the computer all the way in the corner--unless you need an out of the way spot for a trash receptical or something. But the angled armoire would give you a view out the backyard so I can see why you may like that option better.

I think the open arrangement will work well for the movie nights your family enjoys as there is plenty of open space for everyone to sit or even stretch out on the floor or pull in a chair from the DR or even have an open pathway to the DR more snacks. We also have three kids so I can definitely relate to the need for a comfy spot for everyone to gather around the TV.

Can you take any pics of the arrangements to show us?

• Valerie Noronha

I just saw the other one you posted with the sofa on the other wall. I thnk the key issue is the placement of the TV and computer since those items require wiring. If you feel good about those locations then I think you can play around the seating to see which is most comfortable for everyone.

• gardenwebber

Val - excited, yes, but overwhelmed with all the choices and tired from all the work! :)

I could take pics of the actual space if that would help. Its just such a mess that I am embarrassed.

I have posted on my window treatment dilemma within the past week. I've linked my old post, and within that post, there is a link to another post of mine (called "OP") and there are pics in there of carpet and the drapes I was thinking of using.

I need so much help in this room that I don't know how to narrow it down to one post, so I keep starting new threads and I'm starting to feel like a nuisance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous post regarding drapes

• Valerie Noronha

I think I like the 12:01 one the best as well. I think it would look nice to add a tall plant behind the end table and chair. Alternatively, you could swap the end table and chair so that the chair is closer to the sofa if it gives a better viewing angle.

• gardenwebber

Val - we moved our furniture into your suggested layout (the one depicted in 12:01) and we are happy with it. I definitely feels open and roomy.

So, now onto window treatments. Should I start another thread?

• Valerie Noronha

Horray!! I'm glad it meets the family's approval. You really do have a charming space with the recessed area and windows around the room. I bet it's going to look fabulous when it's all done.

Yes, do start another thread on the WT since some members may not open a thread on layouts, but may have lots to add about WTs and vica versa. Dilly_dally, among others, seems to have an eye for it. I'm a bit busy tomorrow but I'll look for it. It would be good to get started now with the fabrics since you mentioned you were also planning to paint the room.