Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewwhatsnew_gw

Portable beds for guests? Suggestions??

sewwhatsnew
12 years ago

Spent the day brainstorming, started with the idea of purchasing 2-4 Rollaway beds at Aldis for $80 each, thought I could add a 4" memory foam topper onto those, but worry about the comfort of springs for adults. Then I considered folding metal bed full size bed frames from overstock with 10 " memory foam mattresses, they were around $550. Next I considered $535 wood frame Futon from Sams with innerspring mattress which could stay in the room. I could even purchase two of them, but I'm not in love with them. So I don't have a basement bedroom, but I do have some space to the left and right of a pool table. Does anyone have temporary bedding they set up for company that is comfortable? Thanks for your ideas.

Comments (29)

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

The Aerobeds cannot be beat. I use them for camping and for guests and can't say enough good about them! They are much more portable and easier to store than any other option.

• natal
    12 years ago

Aerobeds are comfortable, but getting out of them can be a PIA. Buy the raised version.

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

I've never slept on one, just tried it out in a store, but I think these ottoman / folding beds from Hollandia are pretty cool. They seemed well made.

I'm just noticing now that they only have 2 stores in US though - In NJ and Philadelphia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollandia Convertible - ottoman bed

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

Do people really like air mattresses? I hate them and prefer a sleeping bag on the floor but maybe I'm strange.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

We have one of these and they are very comfy. What's super nice about them is they come with their own case for storage. Looks almost like carry on luggage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Folding Air Bed and Frame

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

While the aerobeds are comfortable, personally I find it a hassle to use for more than a day or so because either you need to deflate it during the daytime or have a dedicated room to set it up in while your guests are visiting. An aerobed is different than an air mattress because it has an electrical plug that you can use to quickly inflate and deflate your mattress in approx 1 minute. An air mattress, which we bring for camping, has to be filled using a battery operated or manual pump. Most of those, I find deflate slightly over the course of the night plus when one person turns in the night, it disturbs the other and if there is a lighter person next to a heavier person, the heavier person sinks down more. An aerobed is more comfortable IMHO, but I've only slept on a twin sized aerobed so not sure if the problems I experience with an air mattress would be the same. What I most like about aerobeds is their portability and that you do not need a dedicated guest room.

In your situation, though, with space in a basement room, I think I would consider the futon with innerspring mattress. I've heard that the springs make all the difference plus you could get a queen size which most couples find more comfortable than a full.

• rmcdaniel
    12 years ago

We are former military so we have moved a lot! It was often at least a month before our household goods would catch up with us and I don't do sleeping bags (though the kids loved them). My husband and I always used a raised Aerobed (that extra height makes so much difference!) with a memory foam mattress pad on top until our real bed would arrive and it was REALLY comfortable. We have the one with the built in air thing-y to inflate it and it's quick and easy to put up and down.

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

We bought one off CL similar to the Cabela one posted by justgotabme above. We added a new Coleman air mattress. It inflates pretty quickly using its electric pump. Being a 'normal' height helps with both the look and the comfort. It seems to hold its air fine. I had read that new air mattresses can 'stretch' - ours did need topping off with extra air for a day or two the first time we inflated it. It has been fine since.

I think it is pretty comfortable. We inflated it to feel pretty firm instead of like an air mattress - and my visiting brother said the bed was OK but "too hard". Easy enough to adjust - just like a low tech 'sleep number' bed! Then he liked it more.

We had had a futon in that room previously. This is a much better solution for us as we only need a bed there 7 to 10 nights a year. The futon was always there - doing nothing - and wasn't a very comfortable bed either.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

I thinks futons are very uncomfortable and not very attractive. I love air beds.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

My regular bed is a soft sided water bed and I have loved it for 20 years now. For traveling and extra beds for guests, nothing beats the aerobed. There is no other bed you can give people, that will allow them adjust the bed to their desired level of firmness. And the ease with which you can deflate and inflate the Aerobed, makes it perfect...out of the way when not in use. The raised version is definitely preferable.

• tammy518
    12 years ago

maureeninmd, that convertible ottoman is so cool! Did you happen to notice the price when you saw one?

I'm going to be moving soon to a smaller place, and I'm looking into something small/portable that out-of-town guests can sleep on a few times a year. I have never had an Aerobed, only air matresses, but I've always heard good things about the Aerobeds.

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

Tammy - they are not cheap, although I really can't remember the exact price and can't find out on-line. $300? maybe. It was really comfy though. I would get one if I had the room for it.

• totallyconfused
    12 years ago

My in-laws swear by their Aerobed. They often bring it with them when they visit even though we have a sleep sofa and a futon.

Totally Confused

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I have one of the Frontgate beds in queen-sized. I love it because all you do is plug it in and it expands. To deflate it, you flip the switch and the thing folds itself back up. It has wheels when it is folded so you can move it into a closet easily. I do think it is more comfortable with a mattress pad on top so that you have more between your body and the plastic than just a sheet. It would probably be even more comfortable with a memory foam layer, but then I'd have to store the memory foam which is a deal killer for me.

You can buy the Frontgate sheet set for it which include an attached bedskirt. They wrinkle badly, though, so I just use regular sheets and don't worry about the frame showing.
    My six-foot brother sleeps on this when he visits and he finds it reasonably comfortable. He says it beats a futon for comfort.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Oh wow forhgtv! That's one awesome bed. I thought we liked ours, but we have to use an inflater machine to inflate it. Not that that's hard, but yours is totally awesome! I want one just to play with it. LOL

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

Justgotabme, It's like a Transformer bed...LOL! It's a little pricy, but I love the ease of use.

• bird_lover6
    12 years ago

I don't mind air mattresses, but thought I would mention that there is a world of difference between sleeping on a twin mattress and a full/queen and sleeping solo or with another person.

I find a full/queen to be quite comfortable when sleeping alone, but I hate sleeping on one with another person. Basically, each needs his own mattress, imo.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I totally agree with bird lover, and was going to post the same thing. I can sleep comfortably solo on my daughter's queen sized Aerobed, but with my husband with me? Not so great.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

forhgtv, how is yours for two people? That's an amazing bed.

• sewwhatsnew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aerobeds have so many styles to choose from. I've been reading all the reviews. Thanks for that info on size preferences birdlover. Are twins too small for adults?? I thought about the raised twin Coleman , they are reasonable on overstock( I know not an Aerobed) I'm convinced all of these inflatable beds leak at sometime. I really like that EZ bed from Frontgate, thanks for posting that one, lots of positive reviews and a year warranty. Is it only sold at Frontgate? I haven't googled it yet.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

LOL ForHGTV. I bet my grandson would want to play with it. LOL

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

Writersblock, I've never had two people sleep on it. I think, though, because it has the rigid frame that it wouldn't wobble like other inflatable mattresses might.

Sewwhatsnew, It looks like the bed is available from several sources and Grandin Road looks like the cheapest base cost, but I didn't check what the total would be with shipping at the various sites.

Justgotabeme, My brother who isn't a child was intrigued, so I imagine a child might be fascinated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purchase Options

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

I so want one of these for when we have extra guests. We have two guest rooms, but one has just a sofa and is my sewing room.
    Check out the action below.....

Here is a link that might be useful: EZ Bed in action

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Thanks, forhgtv.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

I had to sleep on a full aero bed once for a couple days at someones house.

Hated it. Rolling over was afraid to fall off.
    Couldn't move (or sleep) all night long.
    Covers can't really tuck in either.

I'm searching craigs list right now for a trundle bed for our guest room.
    One that looks like a sofa when not in use.
    The lower mattress can pull out and sit on the floor, or be raised up to form a double.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

We have one guesy bed (twin). For all others, we put foam pads on the floor, and haul out the sleeping bags.

No one has complained, but I think it's because they know we have a tent.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

LOL. I think I'd prefer the floor inside over the tent too LG. Too funny.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

That's what I was on, a high one. It wasn't close to the floor. That would have been better. Actually I think I would have liked a sleeping bag better.

But the person had it in their basement rec room. They probably thought it was cold on the floor down there. (It was cold anyway!)

Seriously, it was a nightmare. Don't buy one of those.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!