Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leahcate

Xmas decor:Anyone else feeling that less is more this year?

leahcate
15 years ago

Not at all sure why, and wonder if it's just me, or am I subliminally sensing a trend toward lighter holiday decorating. I find I don't want to put up the same old fake, thick garland all along the banister, for an example. Think I may keep it down to a bow here and there with a spray of long needled pine( also fake...can't keep it fresh 3 weeks in So. Ca.) Probably merely my need to take Christmas off...something I love doing every now and then. ( meaning we go away and forgo decorating all together except for front door wreath) Anyone else?

Comments (62)

• leahcate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ladies! Can we re-group here a minute? I didn't mean are you doing less because of time, money, age or any of that. It was mainly a DECORATING question. As you look back on all your past holiday decor does it now feel a bit outdated/over done? Are your past decor themes feeling tired to you? Are you dropping red and green for aqua and silver,and less of it, whatever color? Okay, let me ask it this way : If you could have a designer come in and 'do up' your home(and take away after!), gratis, in any fashion, would it be pretty similar to what you've done in all the past years? I'm feeling I need it fresher some how? Have I seen this look in mags and it's getting to me subconsciously, or is it just me? Could you all come back and look at the question from this angle?

• creekylis
    15 years ago

Sorry, it's difficult to seperate the "dos" from the "whys". I'll have to stick by my original answer. Mood is everything. Even if I won a whole-house Christmas makeover, my mood says "LESS" this year.

• maddiemom6
    15 years ago

I am recoloring this year.. robins egg blue and chocolate.. this is a switch from the jewel tones of the years before. I have boxed up all the old stuff and it's going to Goodwill. as for quanity... it's split but I do feel more holiday the more I do.. it's the balance between that and not doing so much that I feel crazy. We are going smaller and more intimate on the entertaining front with a fondue party for close friends..but otherwise sticking close to home.

Maddiemom

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Sorry, it's difficult to seperate the "dos" from the "whys". I'll have to stick by my original answer. Mood is everything. Even if I won a whole-house Christmas makeover, my mood says "LESS" this year.

I completely agree. I've been downplaying the Christmas decor at my house over the past couple of years, but this is perhaps the first year that I've not had some twinge of guilt about doing so. In fact, when I got out a box of decorations Thanksgiving night and halfheartedly pawed through them, I looked at some of the "Made in China" beaded garlands I had purchased a few years back and thought, "I don't even like this cr*p anymore." And that's ok. I'm not going to try to force something that just isn't there anymore (for whatever reason, and there are several).

• neetsiepie
    15 years ago

I haven't done much for years because DH and I were always doing holiday shows for our business. So I spent my decorating energy for those shows.

When we quit doing shows, I kept saying I'd decorate the house, but never got into it. I'm soooo not a tree decorator! Last year my son & his GF came over to decorate the tree for me. But THIS year...I'm going full bore. Living room in one theme, family room another, and decor throughout the house. Maybe I can get DH to put up more lights outside this year, too. We're gonna do it up...especially because we're going to downscale on the gifts.

• Oakley
    15 years ago

One thing I love about living in the country when our neighbors are a half mile away, and we're lucky to be great friends with them too, is we don't feel the need to go crazy in decorating. We all do that simple country decorating. Maybe one string of lights across the front porch area, a wreath on the door, a garland on the porch railing.

We drive into town to see the lights, and I have to pull out my sunglasses and feel so thankful I don't have to do that! lol

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Have you seen any of the "Extreme Holiday Decor" shows on HGTV? I really don't understand why anyone would want to concoct those completely over-the-top displays. For one thing, it has to be just a ton of work to string thousands upon thousands of lights (can you imagine having to pack up and store all of that stuff?), not to mention the costs involved. And for what purpose? Maybe it's to "wow" all of the little children who might stop by to see it. I know when I was little, I loved being driven around by my parents to see the holiday lights, but I also know that just a few strands could excite me. I know I never saw anything like some of the displays people are putting up now. It leaves me to wonder if perhaps it's some measure of "showing off" that prompts such elaborateness. Not that "showing off" is a terrible thing in itself, but to some extent, it seems a bit incongruous with what this season is supposed to be all about.

Just my $.02 ...

• alex9179
    15 years ago

Ok, no I don't think my decor is outdated. I do have the cheesy, cheap garland but there are so many things I use along with it that it is just background.

I didn't have a bunch until the last couple of years, so it's all pretty new to me and I reinvent the items I've had. I think it's impossible for me to do the exact same thing every year so I never get bored with my goodies.

Are you saying that the trend this year is Less is More? That would explain why I'm not following it, I'm either hopelessly behind with the trends, or several steps ahead :)

• leahcate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yikes! I'm sorry I ever asked, as it's too hard to put into words...my wondering, and has gone in all sorts of directions.... kinda like the whispering game:>)!. I've never been an over-the-top-holiday type and I'm not calling MY fake garlands "cheesy". As Creeylis said, if you are feeling this way, I suppose it IS too hard to separate the whys of it. It's the why of it I was trying to figure out. Is it feeling or is it fashion? Who the heck knows! :>) Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas to all!

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Imo, this is a great thread that you started, leahcate, & I am very appreciative of it.

I chuckled to myself when I read Amy's post that she's gotten out of doing the Christmas decor thing since she converted to Judaism 15 yrs. ago. I started practicing my Christian faith much more intensely and seriously about 9 yrs. ago, & have since lost my enthusiasm for much of the "cultural" Christmas, including decor.

I know to others I look like a scrooge! Ironically, many probably look at our unadorned house & think we must be Buddists!

I don't look down upon those who choose to decorate w/wild abandon. Holiday trimmings just don't reflect where my heart is. I can't seem to muster up the desire for it when to me, for me, it feels trivial, shallow & irrelevant!

Having said that, I will put up a wintery wreath on the door, & stick some holly berries in my potted bay plant in front of the house. Just can't get into the tree thing right now. Maybe one year in the future I'll be able to integrate my spiritual and religious beliefs with cultural practices! I admire those who can consolidate the two in a meaningful way.

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

I wouldn't be sorry I asked because there is probably a very fine line between what one does and one's motivation for doing it. It's almost too hard to articulate.

For me - I love the idea of the holidays and am fond of what decor I have left after some major paring down on the "embarassment of riches" packed in boxes for 11 months of the year. In the past, I decorated large because I always entertained and people seemed to like it. But now I'm in a different place with different - maybe even lacking - traditions. I still put up a tree in my back bay window because my shut in neighbor can see it and comments on it every year.

I decorate the mantel with greens from the farmers market or from my yard along with my little collection of antique wood carved St. Nicks and keep live poinsettias on the hearth only because that's what my chair faces when I have my first cup of coffee with the AM papers.

I really don't think cutting back is relative to the "new frugality" sweeping the country. Less is more is often a crossroads many of us might reach at some point in time - and I think it always comes more from within than from any external influences.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

duluth...I loved your nicely put reply. I pictured your shut-ins looking over to peek at your tree.(loved the thoughtfulness of that gesture) I could see you settle into a comfy chair to enjoy your a.m. coffee (in my picture there is snow on the ground and glowing logs in the fireplace.) I believe your summing up is the best answer.

• cind11
    15 years ago

I'm putting out decorations today and definitely feeling like less is more. I have A LOT of decorations and almost feel like the house looks too cluttered when I put them out. (I do put away a lot of my "regular" decor.) The problem is some of the things I have are gifts from my mom (or whomever) and I feel guilty putting them back in the box. They're actually nice items too so it's not like they look tacky. Knowing myself, I'll probably put them all out but I wish I didn't have to!

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

leahcate - I understand what you're asking and I was asking myself that question earlier today as I poked through boxes upstairs. As my tastes have changed (or trends have changed?) I found myself wondering if less would actually look classier. When my kids were small it was about pleasing them with the Rudolph with the lit nose, etc. Now I'm an empty nester and I'm ready to please myself and make the look pretty and festive. I was thinking along the lines of just replacing a few things rather than adding a lot. Exchange a wrought iron deer for a vase, put pine cones in the bowl, etc. I struggled with my mantel last year and I was wondering if maybe I just need so add a little greenery and some gold balls for a better look, leaving the snowman collection upstairs. Not because of economy or effort but because of a different decorating approach. A more subtle holiday effect with touches of the season and yummy smells.

I did hang the outside wreaths with red bows on all my windows today and placed a single clear candle light in each sill. I love that look on my symetrical house with the wide porch and I repeated it this year. But yep, I think on the inside I'll have the tree of course, but a less is more approach on all the rest, choosing only what the space needs and not forcing my things on it. Good thread, don't give up on us! lol

• tinam61
    15 years ago

We've never been huge on gifts. Growing up I learned that was not the true meaning of Christmas. To tell you the truth, I couldn't sit here right now and tell you something I truly want. I love to buy for hubby, fun, unique items. My family has not done gifts for years, once there were no little children. None of us really *need* anything. We'd rather celebrate and enjoy the time together, plus a yummy meal.

That said, I absolutely love Christmas and love to decorate for the season. I do truly believe less is more (that's true in most decorating). Wreaths and red velvet ribbon, lights in windows only, etc. I hope I never come to the day that we don't want a tree. We enjoy it so much. I collect vintage ornaments and also have alot of ornaments that have meaning to us, it is a joy to see them each year as we do the tree. We love sitting in the evenings with no lights other than the Christmas tree.

Last year I began hosting Christmas dinner vs. Christmas Eve which I started the year we were married. 25 years of that! I love cooking and hosting our families.

Even if you are not a religious person and don't celebrate Christmas in that sense as we do, I've always felt it is a time to enjoy with family and friends, the good times the season brings, etc. A time to remember those in need, and those alone, not all the *trimmings*.

tina

• japhynmarley
    15 years ago

>>>>>>> there is probably a very fine line between what one does and one's motivation for doing it. It's almost too hard to articulate. Very well said.... I think the emotion due to the economy/politics/etc. drives the minimalist fashion that is current right now...

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I changed tree decoration colors a few years before we moved - about 6 years ago. Those colors are fine in our new home. I'm just choosing not to decorate much, if at all, but it has nothing to do with money or time.

DH helped me put the garlands and wreaths on the gates/columns at the main entrance of our gated community today. It has made me want to find a couple of pretty (less is more, more natural than faux/decorated) wreaths for our stone columns at the bottom of our driveway - even though we are on a cul-de-sac and our gate is not actually on the street so no one will see unless they are coming to our house....which means they will only be seen for the most part by us and the UPS lady. :D

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I think the emotion due to the economy/politics/etc. drives the minimalist fashion that is current right now...

It is cyclical and almost seems to be linked to the Presidential cycles. Anyone else old enough to remember the style differences between the Carter and Reagan administrations? The Carter Administration was very plain jane, then Reagan arrived in 1981 and there was a big to-do over Nancy getting new china for the White House at a cost of $200,000 (donated). Then came the TV shows like Dynasty and Dallas and clothing styles went large, with padded shoulders and glitter.

Before that, the cloth coat Republican Eisenhower administration was followed by the fashionable Kennedys.

• leahcate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mimi....yes, that's what I did just a little last year and feel I'll be doing more of it(which is actually less:>):>) this year. Think you're right, it's just a matter of taste evolving a little. A semi new look will get me more enthused, like when I just MUST rearrange furniture...a new feel to freshen it up. Yep, that's it! That it's less work is just icing on the fruitcake!:>) Oh Allison, how I wish I could go out into the woods and cut fresh greenery whenever it needed replacing.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Allison, who better than to decorate for than yourselves? It really doesn't matter to me if anyone else sees our decorations.

What do ya'll do with old ornaments, things your kids made, etc. that you don't use anymore? I have ornaments that mark special occasions in our lives over the years, I couldn't bear not to use them. I love the vintage ornaments I collect (scrap and tinsel) and even have a few old glass ornaments from my great-grandmother. That's why themed or certain colors on trees doesn't work for me.

I did find today some beautiful silver snowflakes that I forgot I bought last year! LOL

tina

• southernheart
    15 years ago

We've downsized the gift portion of the holidays a lot in the past few years, but DH and I have been collecting holiday decorations since we were dating, and it's part of "us". I don't think we paid full price for much of anything (most things were found during after-holiday sales, estate sales, etc), and anything else was picked up on travels, or were gifts from friends and relatives who knew what we collected. We also have pieces that have been in the family for generations. Almost everything we display each year has a memory or funny story attached, so it brings us, and now our kids, a lot of joy. When our boys settle down and start families, I'm sure we'll give most of our decorations to them, and enjoy seeing them in their houses (to use as they wish). The boys, and my niece and nephews, enjoy seeing our house decked out for the holidays. The festive feeling, along with food, friends, family and laughter, are what make the holidays fun for us.

My DH lost his job in the recession of '91-92 (our younger son was just 6 months old at the time), and his industry is very recession-sensitive, so this is unfortunately often familiar territory for us as it is for so many people. We decided way back then that we would always make the best of things as they are, no matter what the circumstance. I hope that my sons will always live that way, too. My older son said the other day that "we always manage to have fun as a family, no matter what", and that warmed my heart. We live a fairly frugal life, and have always enjoyed charitable giving and volunteering throughout the years, whether good or bad.

I think that you should decorate this year as you see fit. There is no shame in not decorating if you aren't "feeling it", just as there is no shame in enjoying creating a festive home if that brings you and your family joy. Doing either is not going to change what is happening right now...only being positive, hopeful, and being helpful and charitable where you can, will make things better. My mother always told me that life is about balance...the balance of responsibility and fun, of seriousness and of silliness and joy. The more I try to live by that bit of advice about finding the joy in each time in life, the more at peace I feel, no matter what is going on around me.

Happy Holidays, and many blessings to anyone here who is facing difficult times. Things do always eventually turn around, and I wish that for everyone affected by the current downturn.

• runninginplace
    15 years ago

I changed my holiday style a few years ago, Leahcate, because I finally did a Homer Simpson and realized that *d'oh* I don't even LIKE red and green! In fact, I do not own a single item of clothing or home decor in those colors. So why was I putting up all that stuff for my holiday?! Not to mention a bunch of northern-inspired decor that has absolutely nothing to do with my South Florida lifestyle, which I love so much.

So I switched to what I do like very much: white and silver with the (very) occasional touch of gold. And never looked back-love the holiday look now and it rests my heart to sit and look at my beautiful colors for the holiday.

This weekend when we got our tree we ended up with one that isn't quite as overwhelmingly large as I always get. Came home, put it in the LR and was a bit discouraged...then I decorated and when my daughter came in she exclaimed "mom, that is PERFECT! It looks so much more classy; we've been doing it wrong all these years!"

So yes, less is more for me, definitely. I'm not even sure I am going to put up decorations around the house. I'll put up my seashell wreath next to the front door and my beautiful tree and gifts beneath it. And that might very well be all I do. But it will be enough.

Ann

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Allison, who better than to decorate for than yourselves? It really doesn't matter to me if anyone else sees our decorations.

Exactly.

As far as our older decorations, I've kept them in case DD2 wants to use them. My aunt gave us a dozen really nice handpainted wooden Christmas ornaments for our wedding present - we married the day after Christmas. That started our ornament collection 27 years ago and we used them up until a few years ago. No way I could get rid of them.

I have things the kids made in their keep boxes or in storage boxes.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I'm stressed right now getting ready for my charity group's Holiday Auction (volunteered to do way more than I should), so the idea of decorating for the holidays is NOT appealing at all. Next weekend I will be going to a "Holiday Home Tour" and I'm sure that I will get tons of ideas and be more enthused.

Meanwhile my neighbors put up 5 big blow up things in their yard, (which they leave on, with their lights 24 hours a day) and I'm not sure they are done yet. One year they had nine!

• susieq07
    15 years ago

I'm afraid we will see much less this year due to this terrible economy, so many people have lost or will lose jobs, and just hoping to feed their families, pay the rent,heat the place, forget about decorating or even gifts maybe everyone on this forum is blessed, however millions are hurting, and even this new administration can't pull off any miracles for this holiday, and maybe not even for the next one. The whole world is in trouble, don't expect to see many displays this year like years past, when things were oh so good!! "the good ole days" we're still doing it up, but think our annual ride to see lights this year will be a washout?

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Leahcate,
    I totally understand what you are saying...For the last few years, I just wasn't feeling it at all - just the stress & all I had to do. This year I am so excited!! Now, I am not a decorate every surface of my house type person - way too lazy for that - but I am doing more than usual.

I think * part for me* is we are dropping most adults from our Christmas shopping & that really takes some stress off - worrying what in the world am I going to get these people that already have everything???!!! Always just seemed silly & trivial. DH & I have never exchanged gifts. This year it is just for the kids & that makes me really happy:) I am hosting 3 dinners/brunch this year & am thrilled to have my house filled with friends/family.

Smiles:)

• arleneb
    15 years ago

The house we had when our kids were at home seemed to lend itself to "holiday overdecorating." Also, I hosted a club Christmas party, so I'm sure there was some incentive there. In the new 2001 house, I decorated much less -- just seemed appropriate. Last year the whole family went to DisneyWorld for Christmas, so I didn't do anything but put my small antique-style trees on the porch and plug in the tree that stood year round in the bonus room window, just waiting for the holiday.

This year we're in an apartment while building a house, and my decorations are all packed. I bought 3 fragrant candles . . . and that's it!

It will be interesting to see what the new house "calls out for" in terms of decoration. After I figure it out, I may spread all the leftover stuff out, let the kids have what they want and get rid of the rest.

Nothing to do with the economy: just the natural progression of change in surroundings, I guess.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

This has been such a good thread to read through, as I go back and forth with this issue every year. I love putting up all the decs, but I'm a Scrooge when it comes to taking them all down, which is ALWAYS by myself, unfortunately!
    Last year we'd gone through months of a complete kitchen and family room reno right before Christmas and I just wasn't up for a lot of decs. But, we still have a very sweet 14 y/o daughter who would have been crushed without all the "stuff" (and yes, I did try and talk her into it). And, our son would be home from grad school out of state for the holidays, not to mention, we host our annual Christmas Day dinner here every year and folks love to see our home decorated for Christmas . . . so I did it. This year, I'm actually looking forward to decorating. I just wish everyone wouldn't be so disappointed if I didn't decorate every room. But, it gives so many people pleasure that I feel bad grousing about it.
    Lynn

• awm03
    15 years ago

Simple, sparse decorations always worked best in our homes anyway, so I'll be decorating as usual: some greenery over the mantle with oranges, apples, chestnuts & pine cones & candles mixed in. I have a wrought iron table tree for ornaments, so that adds a bit of glitter. And I love to disperse old candy dishes filled with peppermints around the house: colorful, festive, but not so enticing to eat that you gain 10 pounds. We'll put up a tree because the smell is heavenly. My husband loves tacky outdoor lights and keeps an evergreen strung with bulbs year round so at Christmas time, all he has to do is plug in an extension cord & flip a switch. The neighborhood kids enjoy it, and that's important to us.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

This is a very interesting thread. As much as I might like to change, Christmas is a time of family traditions. I have three children at home--two teenagers--and they all enjoy the whole process of decorating. Looking at all the old ornaments we have collected over the years from various vacations or they made in school or were given to them by friends. My 7-year-old enjoys making the paper chains and would hang them all over the house if I let her and is eager to make the advent wreath. My 15-year-old DS wants to hang Christmas lights outside. That is about all we do though: the advent wreath, the nativity scene, the tree, a wreath at the front door and Christmas lights. We use what we have from year-to-year without regard for the latest decorating trends and/or color scheme. As lynneinnewmexico said on another thread, it's more about "the story of our family" than about the decor. We've never been ones to have elaborate displays outside the home--though we do enjoy driving around the neighborhood to see the Christmas decorations.

Then when the kids are out of school, we do a lot of holiday baking. Again, all traditional, foods. I like to teach them the old, handmade methods of cooking and baking. It provides a link with the past, to my parents, grandparents, and in-laws and provides a framework for the conversation with my children. A few years ago my DS wrote a touching essay about the ritual preparation of a traitional Christmas cake that has been in my DH's family for generations--about how as a child he disliked it, preferring instead frosted cookies and fudge, but now that is one of the time honored traditions that he looks forward to. Yikes! And I was thinking of cutting that out this year--as the fruit needs to soak in alcohol the month before. I do like to do a rotation of traditions, though, since we have so many from both sides of the family and only recently have I made the traditional German springerlie cookies from my side of the family--which my teenagers also like now that they are older.

I will say, the year we remodeled our home and were living in a small townhouse was the most liberating for me in terms of decorating. I bought a small 3' tree with pre-strung lights at Michaels which took all of about 10 minutes to hang a few ornaments on top.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I love Christmas decorating more than any other and after three years of sparse, including last year when we had a stick tree in March (Because we spent the holidays in the hospital far from home). This year, Christmas will be vomiting all over the house :)

My son is 3 and he's just discovered the wonder of Christmas. He gets overwhelmed when it comes to the gifts,so it's not about that...its about the lights, the tree, the lovely Christmas vomit that you see everywhere at this time of year. I can't wait to see the look in his eye every time he gets up and sees our tree (which I have to hold off on until we get back from the hospital in mid Dec).

Single or married, small house or large, I've always done Christmas to it's fullest. While I would agree that less is more sometimes....for me, NEVER at Christmas! More is not enough :oP

DH and I were just dicussing the house we are considering in Port Townsend last night (MN went off the market) :o( I said I couldn't wait to decorate a tree in the huge foyer. He said "We wouldn't want our tree there" I lauged and said....honey we're not having one tree in that house...we'd have a minimum of four :OP More is more :) And it does not need to be expensive more...I love my dearest friends horrible hand made ornaments (made by her small kids) on her lopsided tree as much as I love my radko's. It's Christmas :) It's all good!!!

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

We've been scaling back for a few years now and for various reasons. Getting older with less stamina and patience has a lot to do with it LOL ;o) That and the fact that I'm a 'let's take it all down the weekend after Christmas' kind of gal makes it a whirlwind, time-wise.
    The best thing about scaling back is that even though we have at least 10 boxes of collected holiday decorations that have been unused in the attic, our DS and his GF finally have a place of their own and are like kids in a candy shop! They have taken all those boxes, spread the contents out on their living room floor, and gazed at all those wonderful decorations with wide-eyed wonder. They are filled with excitement and glee as they open and inspect each box. It makes the cockles of my heart warm and my spirits soar.
    Happy Holidays!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

I haven't decorated for the holidays for several years now - no kids in the house, & frankly, I just didn't feel the need nor did I have the desire.

This year I AM feeling like doing something. It will be minimal (no tree) but definitely lights!

And, sorry leah, I do understand what you're asking, but you just can't control the answers in a group like this ;-D - I decorate strictly on how something makes me feel; trends have nothing to do with it, and this year I feel like lights, brightness, color & levity are needed, so I'm planning on brightening up my house and the neighborhood a little bit :D

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Not for me really, but I've only recently begun my Christmas decoration collecting (3 yrs). Before that, I was only using hand-me-downs and gifts - I rarely purchased anything other than a 6-ft tree and mini lites prior to 3 yrs ago.

Last year I completed my collection with the purchase of our 9-ft pre-lit skinny tree (LOVE IT!) and went all out as we were having a big Christmas Party. Including the one I did at work, I decorated a total of 7 Christmas trees last yr. It was exhausting, but worth it. All the red and green/handmedown/hadforever stuff went upstairs where very little "living" is done. Everything new - gold/silver/burgundy stuff went downstairs where it was most visible. It was fabulous!

But, I will say hubs let out a cheer when I announced I was taking this year off. I'm in the middle of a kitchen face lift and we aren't having any parties or family over, so it feels right to take the year off. I'll put up the wreaths outside and the urn trees on the front porch, only because they're close at hand, not in the attic, but after that I'm done!

But look out 2009!!! ;-)

• queenofmycastle0221
    15 years ago

I understood the question completely because it is definately me this year. My mood is playing a huge part in it as well. I had a hysterectomy in October and my dh has recently started chemo treatments for his RA. My son is 11 and his whole mentality of Christmas changed this year as well. He knows the truth and therefore hasn't hardly asked for anything. I don't even know what to get him.

That being said I got out all of my Christmas decorations but this house is just not big enough for alot of tabletop decorations. I had bought several new pieces the day after Christmas last year and was originally excited to use them. My kid sister is spending her first Christmas in the home of her boyfriend where she and my niece moved into this year. I told her to come out and we went through my stuff and I divided all my stuff with her. I actually had enough to do mine and hers and still have stuff left with my less is more mentality.

Alicia

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Alicia - Sounds like you are really going through a tough time. :( God bless you. I wish you well and hope you have a very merry Christmas.

Like you, I had a hard time finding space for everything. I had intended to decorate less this year, but the more I put out, the more I keep reaching into the boxes. I think we must have carried 25 boxes up and down the basement stairs!

Since we are hosting Christmas dinner for friends and family this year, I guess we needed to decorate. However, I usually put my lighted house on my sideboard, but I need to use it for food this year. I relocated them to a bookshelf instead.

• donnamp14
    15 years ago

Over the past few years I have definitely downsized, and tossed anything I wasn't using. Of course, I have kept the sentimental things, but a lot of the junkier stuff is gone, as I have begun to focus, decor-wise, on more natural materials.

That having been said, I am not decorating much this year. No tree, and just a live wreath and maybe some candles. I have decorated the outside a little, so the neighbors think I have it all under control, LOL!

No tree this year. I am just sick and tired of the whole thing. No particular emotional or financial reason, just sick of the same old stuff for the past 30+ years. I do suppose that the holiday shopping and the 24th-25th interminable round of meals and in-laws just wears on me. I must say, aside from attending a living Nativity, I am not in the thrall of this season anymore.

Maybe next year.

-Donna

• User
    15 years ago

This the first year I've had my own house and my own tree etc. I think I went a bit nuts. I was looking around last night and realized I'm going to have to put everything away in a couple of weeks. It's going to take awhile! I'll probably be ready to take it down when the time comes. I'm not sure if I'll continue to do as much through the years. Not sure how you find the time for some of it when you have kids. Time will tell. I feel kind of guilty because that isn't the reason for the season and I've spent a lot of time focusing on the decorating. I haven't even started my Christmas shopping yet. (I know that's not the reason either!) Very unusual for me.

My parents on the other hand don't even have a tree up this year. Growing up we always did. The last couple of years while I was still living at home, I put it up. They just finished putting an addition on their house and they're getting ready to remodel the kitchen. They have a lot of things they want to clean out and organize. My Mom says it's not that she's being Scroodgy, but with everything else it's just too much extra. She says she'll come to my house or my Grandparents when she wants to look at decorations. :)

I really hope I'll always want to decorate!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

I'm feeling like many of you. I have put up next to no decorations yet, but I have been working long days, and filling craft orders on the weekends. This is all I have done do far, on my eBay secretary. I call it Christmas Lite'.

I like it, and will be using lighter greens on my mantel also, which is yet to be done.

• robin_DC
    15 years ago

My decorations are more simple this year, although I am usually a 'more is not enough' person like igloochic when it comes to Christmas decorations. I decided not to decorate the front stair railings this year, and just hung a wreath on the front door (although I may swap out my pots of pansies for pots with greenery). I went with a more simple greenery and pine cone garland and wreath for the dining room, and both are artificial; usually I get live greens and wreaths and add picks of berries and fruit, and pinecones. I have not decorated the bedrooms this year, and probably won't.

The house is probably still more decorated than many of my friends', but it's markedly less elaborate than my usual. I just didn't want to have a lot of in-progress Christmas decorating projects/supplies spread throughout the house, and I'm really busy with work this month. I also like the idea of having less stuff to take down/clean up after Christmas.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a minimalist, and my style is relatively traditional (although I really like modern in hotel rooms & other people's houses). BUT I think that maybe the more streamlined/clean trends are influencing my Christmas style.

• goldeneyedaisy
    15 years ago

my3dogs; that is absolutely beautiful!!!

• powermuffin
    15 years ago

We have all grown kids and a few grandkids. All come over for Christmas brunch. They would be a little sad if I didn't decorate. For some reason this year, I felt more in the spirit and when I hung all the ornaments that my kids and grandkids have made or picked out, I just couldn't help but be happy. Our family tradition was that before Christmas we would go the to the Christmas shop and each person would pick out one ornament for the tree. The family traditions are what make Christmas special for us.
    Diane

• leahcate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi again all. 3dogs...very pretty vignette, and love the odd shade of green candles...should say unique. Whereever did you find them? Gosh! I usually end up last on a thread and never begin one that goes on so long! Has been fun reading all of your posts on the subject. As for my own decor...I am done..yea! Did away with very little, actually. Have my oh-so-loved-Dickens village,one real(fancy) tree and one (big) fake tree,and entry and diningroom are pretty much the same. I think what I was most sick of, and did eliminate this year, was most all of the fake( but very pretty)garland..... miles of it on banisters, etc) and greenery. I grabbed a bunch of freshly cut from the Xmas tree lot for mantels, etc., and am keeping it till it's too dry. I may replace with fresh, but suspect my laziness will prohibit that! :>/ I am content....but let's NOT discuss putting it away. Expect I'll do some weeding out at that time :>) :>/

• sistersunnie
    15 years ago

I finished last night. One night, a few hours, thats it. I like it. First year as an empty nester. Small tree on my sofa console table with blue ornaments and lights. Fresh greens on my mantel, large rusty red pillar candles, fresh poinsettias and my nativity collection scattered throughout all. I did put the kids ugly Christmas bears and a pile of kids Christmas books out for fun. I'll throw candies in the dishes, and call it a season. Diffentially a less is more for me....

• leahcate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

just a P.S to be sure you know I do still enjoy seeing the miles of faux garland in homes, but am just over it in MY home..THIS year:>) LC

• queenofmycastle0221
    15 years ago

Thank You for your kind words newhomebuilder. I think I did know your name but my mind is a little on the fuzzy side since my surgery. They say its normal but I just don't know. I put up my tree and to be honest it is way too big for this house, I hope to buy one at the discounted prices for next year.

Alicia

• User
    15 years ago

Next year will be a "less is more" year for us. This year we are on a Christmas tour of homes (in two days, yikes!) and I have definitely gone all out.

This is our fourth Christmas in this house, but it is the first year I really assessed our decorations in light of this house. Some things just do not "go" here. I had a designer come down from Atlanta to help me decide what should go where and what should be thrown away or bought. Some of his ideas I really love. There is no place for a tree in our living room, so he had me put away the lamps on the demilunes in the entrance and substitute small lighted tabletop trees in gold urns. They have no ornaments, just beautiful ribbons and a tiny boxwood garland wired to them (which I made!). He also had me divide my nutcracker collection and put some of it on the dining room table! It made sense for this year because I needed to keep the library steps clear for the 400 people who will be trooping in on Sunday.

I'll post pictures when it is finished tomorrow, as I will probably never, EVER, decorate like this again!

• chicoryflower
    15 years ago

My3dogs, that's beautiful!

I thought I'd include a little "sign of the times" spot from NBC.

Our family generally is a "less is more" sort of family - we have our moments of "more is more", but this year we'll probably keep it low key decor wise and try to do more visiting and celebrating.

Here is a link that might be useful: NBC Christmas Decor on the Cheap

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I am also one who has enjoyed reading this thread. I have gotten rid of a lot of my Christmas decorations...and I was one the used to put a tree in every room (including the bathrooms), but have cut waaaayyy back....mostly because of health problems and a DH who does not "decorate"....so the outside lights are not put out anymore....because in this cold Kansas weather, it was me out there in January taking them down.

I put wreaths with red bows in the windows, along with battery operated candles and a big wreath on the front door. I only put up a smaller tree in the LR and one in the basement family room where we all gather on Christmas to exchange gifts.....and of course, do decorate the fireplace mantle and I use a lot of bright red poinsettias scattered around. I always put out my grouping of singing carolers...they are so ugly that they are cute...and of course, never leave out the two nativity scenes that mean so much to me.

When I looked through all of my boxes of decorations, I just kept telling myself.....what you take up from the basement has to come back down....and with my bad knees, it didn't take me long to just leave them there.

I do believe that less is more...too many decorations doesn't give the eye a place to rest and gives the "cluttered" look.

However you chose to decorate, I hope that each of you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and I hope that 2009 will be a better year for all of us.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

We did our drive-around-to-look-at-the-lights last night. At first it was looking rather grim, but as we headed up to the hills & the areas where people usually do something with holiday decoration, we were delighted with a lot of the displays.

Not many really gaudy ones this year, My favorites were those decorated with what I would call "simple elegance". There were a number of folks who obviously have tons of fun with it & maintain their tradition - santas & bears & reindeer on the roof, or snowmen in the front yard. Saw two palms trees done with rope lights - I loved those!