Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doggonegardener

OK, I'll bite, my ALMOST finished kitchen for your amusement...

doggonegardener
12 years ago

Hey Folks,

Well, the clear air and happy, smiling trend today has led me to expose my kitchen for the eyes of all. I have been a member here since 2004 and have gotten a lot of good feedback on both the kitchen and cottage garden forum, among others (lawns, iris, ponds, etc).

I tore out my old kitchen about exactly one year ago in a fit of sawzall inspired demolition. It was lovely honey oak with blue grey carpet...EWWWWW! We needed a motivator to actually get the kitchen moving along as it was the room left until last in our whole house renovation. The sawzall was just the motivation we needed. Nothing makes you work on your kitchen like washing dishes in the tub. :)

Here is our before kitchen, which some of you may remember...

There was no fridge or range when we purchased. We bought a fridge from the classifieds and I cooked on an apartment width stove for a while and then a hand me down full width but the burners were dying and when we finally sprung for the new stove a couple of Christmases ago, we were down to two burners. The dishwasher leaked. There was, however, a trash compactor. Probably full of stuff...I never looked it was torn out so fast it could make your head spin. Heaviest thing we have ever removed from our house, and that's saying a lot. There was carpet in the kitchen. My LEAST favorite thing about our previously neglected house.

We did a to the studs renovation of the kitchen. This had not been our original plan but our plans tend to evolve depending on what we find during demo. Here are pics of where we are now. It still needs shelves installed but I am waiting for my DH to get home from the road to help me with the install. The shelves are really going to change how she looks and will help the hood not look stranded. There will also be some additional uppers in a nook around the corner from the range (you can't really see that space in the photos). We plan to install a wall of uppers and a built in fish tank in an existing "nook".

Here she is...

Below is the view from the dining room doorway...

Here's the view through a pass through to the back door landing (we wanted the light from the landing so we cut two openings)...

Here's a wide shot of my blind corner area...

Here's a view from the other pass through...

Here's some of the leaded glass we are framing to hang in the pass throughs to the rear entry. These will let us take advantage of the south facing windows in the entry...

Here's a shot from the south end of the kitchen. Just a breakfast bar spot so we can watch the birds while we have our coffee. There will be two stools. Haven't picked them yet...

{{gwi:1901174}}

And one from the north end...

Here's my fridge surround, we set the fridge back into the wall so it's counter depth. I really wanted a surround 'cause my fridge seemed like a big silver box of saltines to me...

{{gwi:1901176}}

Here's my sink. One of my favorite things. We drove from Laramie to Salt Lake over Christmas to get her...

My recycling pullout...

{{gwi:1901178}}

My DIY drawer divider...

{{gwi:1885101}}

Here's a hole in our soapstone that will accommodate a two tap beer tower for my husband's homebrew plumbed from the basement fridge...

{{gwi:1901179}}

Here's the space above my micro. It was sort of a big wasted spot that was just going to catch dust so we used the drawer front from the sink base to create a "fake drawer" that covers this unused space. It will hide the lines that come by for the beer tower. We thought we were cheeky!

{{gwi:1901180}}

Here's a side view of my fridge surround. You can't see it but the red color repeats from the stair rises going up to our attic master bedroom...

{{gwi:1901181}}

Here's the DIY etched glass for my glass uppers...

Here's my IKEA butcher block under my new windows...

{{gwi:1901183}}

Here are my "oh so GW" base drawers...love them!

{{gwi:1901184}}

Here is a closeup of the bar brackets from IKEA...

{{gwi:1901185}}

Here's my sheet and board pullout...

{{gwi:1901186}}

Here's my shredder pullout...

{{gwi:1901187}}

Here is a little towel spot and a beer opener we added...

{{gwi:1901188}}

Here's a detail of my backsplash...

Materials:

Cabinets - Midcontinent, Maple, Rohe and Copenhagen doors.

Glass fronts - DIY etched to repeat the pattern of the beadboard, the cabinets in the nook will be glass fronted as well so there will be more of this when we are totally done.

Counters - DIY Julia soapstone from M Tex and IKEA Numerar Oak

Pulls - IKEA

Pull outs - hardware from Lee Valley, bins built by me DIY

Floor - Q Cork in Burnt Cork Grounds color

Backsplash - white subways from Home Depot with glass detail from American Olean

Lighting - Schoolhouse Electric pendant over sink and Tru Lite solar tubes with light kits for remainder

Faucet - Price Pfister Ashfield (there will be two matching pumps when DH gets home to drill the holes in the stone, one will be NeverMT for lotion and one NeverMT for dishsoap)

Sink - IKEA Domsjo

Paint - Ace Hardware color called Heartland(the greenish color) and another called Rhubarb

Appliances - Samsung Range, Kitchenaid Dishwasher, Avanti Bev Cooler, Fridgidaire fridge (not my choice but one of necessity when the fridge from the classifieds died on the fourth of July a few years ago)

Uppers will be floating shelves made out of IKEA Numerar Oak when we get a chance to install them.

Pass throughs to back landing will be hung with some antique leaded glass windows we have reclaimed and are restoring. They will be decorative only, not functioning windows.

Think that's about it. There are still things to do. We have some finish carpentry and painting to do and the shelving but otherwise, she's finished.

I know not everyone will agree with my choices. I wanted a slab door because we have dogs and I hated cleaning the beads on my old lower doors from drips and dog fur. I had to compromise on the cabinet choices with my DH. He liked the natural maple and while I preferred a darker wood, I let him win that one. We tried for a fusion between newer and older. Our house is a 1900 farmhouse built by the workers of the Union Pacific Railroad when they were building the lines through our town. We tried to balance things like slab fronts with beadboard. Some of you may think we succeeded, some of you may hate it. I am very pleased with our end product. It's not perfect. A "white kitchen" would have suited the house better but not my lifestyle. We have pets and I just didn't want to be washing lower doors all the time.

I got a lot of advice here. I took some of it and left some of it. I know not everyone will like all of this room but it seems to be working really well for us. It's a D*MN sight better than the kitchen we bought with the house.

Thanks for looking, both now and in the formative stages. I'll post new pics when we get the shelves in but that may be a while.

Ne

Comments (46)

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love it! Pretty, clean and looks highly functional. My favorite is the beer tap, and I'm considering buying the same bottle opener (love that little bulldog!). And I am so jealous of your DIY skills. I can't do anything like that, especially your gorgeous window.

• aokat15
    12 years ago

I love it as well!! I love how much personality the space has and how it's a kitchen that is a reflection of both you and your husband... if my husband wanted a beer tap and mounted beer opener I would have probably said "what!?!?" but the bulldog opener couldn't be cuter and I think the beer tap will look really cool. Great job - enjoy!!

• SusieQusie60
    12 years ago

It's super nice - I absolutely love that you did it the way you wanted and I especially love this line:

"I got a lot of advice here. I took some of it and left some of it."

To me, that's what GW is all about.

My favorite part: That magnificent sink!! What I'm quite sure would be my husband's favorite part if he ever looked at this forum: The beer tap thingy you have!!

Good job and congrats on creating a kitchen that works for you and has lots of personality. SQ

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Your kitchen made me smile when I saw the pics; it's fun, it's different, looks really nice, it seems well-thought out, and I even told my DH about your beer tap (he's a lover of really good beers, so you are welcome to invite him over any time!). I hope you will enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

As always, seriously in awe of you DIY'ers!

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

You all are so clever...love how you thought everything out! Can picture you having coffee while admiring the view.... You will have so much fun in your good looking and functioning kitchen! Oh and the soapstone is a perfect choice! Congratulations!

• MCMesprit
    12 years ago

Congrats! I love all the personal and unique touches. (We're wine drinkers mainly, but here in WI the bear tap would be a HUGE selling point :) The etched glass inserts and leaded glass are lovely. I agree that the shelves are going to make a huge difference by balancing the upper walls with the lower cabinets. Will you be putting shelves above/around the sink area as well?

This is truly your kitchen -- enjoy!

• kmmh
    12 years ago

What a great light filled space! I love all of the little touches you put into the cabinets and the beadboard is great! Congrats!!!

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DH is really amped about the beer tower and custom blown glass tap handles that will go in. Here's a pic...

• blfenton
    12 years ago

And your kitchen is why everyone, high-end or DIY or budget or not-following the GW rules, should post. Your kitchen fits your budget, tastes and lifestyle and is gorgeous at the end.

Your Breakfast bar is an inspirational idea and I can see it being bookmarked by many as a great idea. Because it can do double duty for other things and many of us would probably have done a narrow U-shaped kitchen with lazy-susans instead. A very imaginative and useful use of space.
    Thanks for posting your kitchen.

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There will be two shelves. One right at the top of the tile (that's why we didn't do a bullnose or other trim piece) and one about 12 inches above that. The top shelf will go just on top of the hood and around the chimney. There will be shelves on the range wall and the sink wall only. There will be a space above the sink with no shelving but otherwise they will be wall to wall around the windows of course. We will put display pieces and dishes on them. That will free up the base drawers for a better organization of our cookware and pantry items. I have it all planned out for final resting places. Currently, in order to move back in and get the space working again we have things stored where they will not be stored in the long run.

Thanks for looking!

Ne

• amela
    12 years ago

I envy your kitchen talents and it is so obvious that you are building the kitchen that is perfect for you. What a fabulous idea to put the tap right through the counter. Brewing is next on my learning list!

• slush1422
    12 years ago

Okay a two tap beer tower? DH will be so jealous! Love your DIY drawer divider. Was is difficult? You make great use of your space and have so many cool "organization" goodies. Thanks for sharing.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Your kitchen looks like it has great work flow, is really nice to look at and highly personal - those are the three most important kitchen-reno goals for me - and you absolutely nailed 'em!

May I ask a question, though? I see you've got your MW below counter and below the flip-out shelf for the beer tap apparatus. How satisfactory do you find that placement? It's looking more and more like that's where mine will be, too. I don't do a lot of actual MW cooking, mostly reheating stuff and oatmeal in the AM.

I love the leaping bunny!

L.

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The tap is his prized addition to the kitchen. He can't wait.

The MW placement works just fine for us. We don't really cook in the MW, just reheat and heat water and soften things. Works fine. No complaints. That unit was actually designed to have the MW where it is...we just added the fake drawer. Must be fairly common as that's the level the cabinet company used. Not to say they are always right by any means.

As for the bunny, he's a theme around our house. I happened to find that one on Etsy. A tile maker in Omaha called Prairie Mile Tile if I remember correctly.

Ne

• plllog
    12 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous!!

Love the shredder cupboard, most especially. :)

Truly stunning kitchen.

Thanks for posting. :)

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

I agree with the other posters here. Great kitchen! I'm DIYing what I can but wholly, molly you ROCK!!! Love your pullouts, soapstone, and color choice.

OK about that tap? Details please!!!

• paulines
    12 years ago

I'm a sucker for black floors, yours are FABULOUS.

For some reason your kitchen reminds me somewhat of Mindstorms. Great workspace with nice counter room-enjoy, you did good!

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The one thing I didn't get that I REALLY wanted was my NatureMill composter UNDER my sink in the place where the recycling bin is currently located. I measured and remeasured and confirmed and reconfirmed with my "kitchen designer" (wannabe, not a real designer but rather a salesperson at the home store where we ordered our cabinets) that it would fit. When they arrived, no dice. They would not accept a return and there really was no other option that WOULD work so we had to leave Mr. NatureMill in the basement. BooHoo. It was SUCH A COOL IDEA! Oh well.

Ne

• never_ending
    12 years ago

Great idea thinking about the shredder! Everything is so functional and well-placed. My favorite is the the breakfast bar~ an ingenious use of that space...brilliant really. So amazing, thanks!

• brickton
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for posting this! What did you put on the oak butcherblock? Anything? I've been trying to find more photos of numerar left untouched and it looks like you just poly'ed or oiled yours?

Also I love the backsplash. I'm normally not a fan of 'accent stripes' but the white subways and the mini bricks look so good together. I can't get over how much I like something that usually would be a negative for me.

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To answer some questions I missed...

The drawer dividers were pretty easy. I used basswood strips I purchased at my local Ace hardware. Some pieces (those side to side) are brad nailed in place. The front to back pieces are held in place by little brass clips I bought online from Lee Valley Hardware.

The beer tap is my hubbies domain. I don't know much about the tower itself or where it came from. The handles are blown glass, one black and one white. I got them for him for a birthday gift. I found them online from a place that does them for bars and stuff. The tower he purchased from one of the home brew catalogs. It'll be plumbed with two varieties from a fridge in the basement so it's always cold and ready at his fingertips.

The floor is actually a dark brown color with black and lighter flecks. It's a deep walnut type color.

The butcherblock we did Waterlox on the underside and edges since the dishwasher is right there. We did silicone the seam between the cabinet, soapstone and butcherblock from inside the dishwasher space thoroughly so that vapors would be deterred. Then the tops I wanted to be soft to the touch and not shiny so I used a combination Beeswax and Mineral oil paste the was recommended here. I can use it on the soapstone too so one product will do both countertops. It smells great and flashes off the soapstone much slower than mineral oil was doing. I really like the stuff. It came from an Ebay supplier that folks here had recommended.

Ne

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I looked at Mindstorm's kitchen and I nearly died. My personal original pick of cabinets was IKEA Askome, a white ash with little bead details very similar to her cabinets (don't know if Mindstorm is a she or a he so don't mean to offend if I have it wrong). The natural maple was the closest we could get because my hubby didn't like the thought of IKEA cabs and the way they would have wasted a bit of space because of their incremental and somewhat limited dimensions. The natural maple was the closest we could get. He loved the Askome doors but didn't like the IKEA dimensions and the need to truck them all back from Salt Lake City (our closest IKEA). I was actually kind of relieved to find that IKEA has discontinued the door so it would not have been a choice option for us anyway. It broke my heart a little less to know I could not have gotten them anyway.

I do love her kitchen.

Ne

• ironcook
    12 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen! Well thought-out, clean lines and lots of personality. Unique and tailored to the owner. Love that about it.

I really like the mix of finishes and how they tie in together. Really like the beadboard, etched glass, and backsplash. The red accents, the bunny and the bulldog opener add a sense of fun, too.

Thanks so much for sharing. :)

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Congratulations on a unique kitchen! I can't wait to see it with the shelves installed and leaded glass hanging in the pass throughs. Love the snack counter with a view, beadboard, towel spot and bull dog bottle opener, fridge column, sink, and paint colors (that red is great)! I know you said you wanted darker cabs, but I love the natural. Your kitchen is so light and bright and most of all--functional!

You've maximized your space and truly made it your own. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Enjoy!!

• harrimann
    12 years ago

Nice kitchen. I love the lack of uppers. I have a little breakfast bar that faces a window as well, and we like it much more than we expected.

I didn't know you could store items on the edge of a hood! (Too late! I got the hood with the sloped sides!)

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There will be open shelves in the end. I am shooting for a mercantile sort of feel. There will be pottery pieces on display, plain white dishes and jars of staples. Something like this...

{{gwi:1901189}}
    Hate to commandeer a photo, found in in this forum or maybe the laundry forum, respectfully borrowing it as a GRAND execution of the look I had had in my head for YEARS. Hope no one gets offended. If so, I will promptly take it down.

Ne

• harrimann
    12 years ago

I've commandeered that same photo because I like the open shelf look. I think I got it from Houzz. I haven't decided whether to do that in my own kitchen. I'm getting really used to having a wall with no uppers.

The trick is figuring out how to install floating shelves that can support that much weight.

• sallysue_2010
    12 years ago

I love the breakfast bar - your whole kitchen looks pulled together, professional but personal. I really like how your DH is represented as well - very cool.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think the word "personal" really applies. So do "pretty", "functional" and "well executed". This is not your standard issue GW kitchen and it is a perfect example of why everyone needs to post their kitchens. It works in so many ways, yet most importantly, it suits your life and the fact that it is so darn sweet is a bonus.
    I can't wait to see your shelves all set up ;)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Dianalo is right. This is why we need everybody to post their kitchens. Why on earth would you be reluctant to show off that beauty? It's beautiful, functional, clever, and, best of all, it's you!

Thank you for showing it off!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Hey, this is a great kitchen. It seems so livable--like a person would walk in and feel comfortable cooking here. Especially love your backsplash--the right amount of detail with the accents.

Wondering about your composter. We have a small plastic canister right now, and I need to get a better one. Currently on the counter, but not sure what I will do in the new kitchen. I know there are ceramic ones, but if it's too big and heavy, I can't see the kids taking it to the outdoor composter.

Also we recycle heavily too. If you have any advice on your choices for that, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

like, like, like - like everyone else! It is really refreshing to see your creation. I like the way it feels here as if you have grown our understanding along with your own creation of the kitchen - it's all very, I don't know, developing - I like that it seems as if you are thinking at every step and keep thinking; do a little, step back and cock your head and think about what you will need for the next step - then go do it. I don't know if that's really how things have proceeded, but it feels very ongoing and growing that way.

• julie94062
    12 years ago

Ne, I have to say that when I opened this thread and saw your kitchen...well, I just had a big smile on my face. I could go into details, but the initial reaction says it all. Your kitchen speaks to me. Love it.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Super brilliant use of space and I love the shelving. Great job the the DIY thing. All the little details are taking us forever.

• ravmd
    12 years ago

It looks wonderful! Loved seeing how you used those Ikea pullouts. We bought two 12" ones in case we wanted to do trash/dogfood or trash/recycle. But love the cutting board idea and the shredder. Very clever! Hope you are enjoying your beautiful kitchen!

• maruha
    12 years ago

It looks great! My favorite parts:
    -DIY etched glass-wow on looks and the DIY aspect
    -Beer tap and using spot above microwave-clever!
    -Love the beer opener. We have a Coca Cola one we're installing, so it's fun to see yours.
    -love that you did a pullout for the shredder and the cutting board. So clever!
    Nice job!

• c9pilot
    12 years ago

So nice! Thanks for posting all the detail pictures.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Ne,
    Thanks so much for sharing your kitchen, and in such awesome detail! It's such a welcoming, functional space. My favorite parts are the breakfast bar, bottle opener & towel hooks (the personal touches), but I'm also drawn to the obvious functionality & thought that went into it all. That tile detail is so elegant...and I'm curious to see how the rabbit fits into the rest of your home! I also love your paint color and had to scroll to see what it was...and lo and behold, it's one down on the color strip from my bathroom color, Hazy Day! I work at an Ace just a few hours north of you (another thing I like about your kitchen; it's in my neck of the woods!), and whenever I show people what color I painted my bathroom, they point to Heartland and say, "ooh, that's a pretty color!" I look forward to seeing how it all comes together when you get the shelves up. :)

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The composter on my counter is one from Gardener Supply. Then we run the collection downstairs to the NatureMill in the basement. The ceramic on the counter is almost the size of a cookie jar and lasts us a good bit now when it's just me at home. We'll have to make more trips when my hubby gets home and we are cooking more.

The pull outs are actually DIY, not IKEA. The slides come from Lee Valley and then I built the trays from lumber left overs we had in the basement and painted them to match my beadboard. The Lee Valley work well but they are not the smoothest motion.

jessicaml, if you don't mind, where are you? We are in Laramie and I'd be interested to see who's closest to us...I figured it would be some of the folks from the Denver area.

Ne

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Ne,
    You've got mail. I already have more personal info out there than is probably wise. :p

• mjsee
    12 years ago

I love it as well---is there a reason you didn't go with IKEA cabinets? (I'm back to the forum after a long hiatus...)

You cabs are similar to what I'm thinking I want if/when I FINALLY do my kitchen...

melanie

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As far as the cabinets and not going with IKEA...

I was totally sold on the idea. I had a door picked out. I figured the oddness of the incements available (their limited size choices) would be balanced out by the space gained by going frameless. I loved the Askome door. It made me drool!!!!!!!!!!!!! I liked their construction and hardware, their action and soft close and the whole 9. My husband was not thrilled with the sizes available. He did not want to have to assemble boxes as well as install cabinets. We DIY'd the whole kitchen (save for the drywall and electrical) so he was installing subfloor, floor, cabinet boxes, building a new wall and fridge surround, fabricating countertops, etc and building boxes was just not his thing. I had started to hear rumors about the discontinuation of the Askome door and that was it for me too. For me, it had all been about the door and when I couldn't get that, I was fine with going elsewhere. After the loss of the Askome door I would probably have leaned toward a darker door but we had decided on a dark floor and dark countertops so that led to returning to a lighter door. We agreed on the maple. I had no reservations about IKEA and I don't think my husband would have either had it not been one more thing to build.

Ne

• doggonegardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, this is dropping and so it's time to take a moment and thank everyone for their feedback. I got a big kick out of everyone's comments. It's interesting to look at the photos through someone else's eyes (in a manner of speaking). I appreciate all the kind words and compliments.

I can't wait to have our shelves in. Then the pendant and hood will both look better and less "stranded". I can also then get things put in their "right places" and get some additional color into the room with displays of my pottery collection (a growing thing).

I really appreciate all the help BEFORE the big reveal. If I had been left to my own devices I would have had stools at the end of the stove run out in the way of the aisle. I would have missed out on soapstone. I would have never heard of NeverMT. I would have lower cabs instead of drawers and pull outs everywhere I could. I would have done uppers instead of open shelves. I never would have shopped around for cork flooring. I probably would not have heard of Schoolhouse Electric (this impacts my front and back porches and my carport as well). I would have never driven all the way across the state to get my Domsjo and Numerar from IKEA. I would not have ZONES. I would never have dared to sink my fridge in the wall so it was flush with the counters. I would undoubtedly have a 4x4 square backsplash (but I hear those are coming back "in"). :)

I have learned a ton here. I have seen a lot of really cool ideas. I will have some more of them before I am done. I will have a charging station and a pet center in my back entry way if it kills me.

This forum is filled with great people. While we don't ALWAYS get along, who does? I don't get along with my family all the time. I don't see eye to eye with my coworkers all the time. This community has been very helpful and welcoming. I hope to pay some of the kindness back with DIY knowledge in the future. Got a DIY question? Hit me.

Thanks again to everyone!

Ne

• gillycat
    12 years ago

love it
    have to add that your sink is magnifique - worth the drive!

• caryscott
    12 years ago

What a transformation. It is a very eclectic mix of materials and styles. I could walk into a lot of homes and never see that kitchen and I love that. Looking forward to seeing the finishing touches.

• louisianapurchase
    12 years ago

I love your big red refrigerator box. That is so cool. I also like all of your countertops, the bridge bar, and that beer tap is pretty rockin! My DH will be over on Friday evening and will not leave til Sunday morning. Just ask our friends! I am amazed by all of the DIY talent on here. You and your DH did an outstanding job. I also love that it reflects you, your style, and your vision.

Shannon