FIND PROFESSIONALS
gw_oakley

How do you decorate your toilet tank top?

Oakley

Crazy, I know. When I was a kid we could buy the fuzzy tank tops and tank covers to match the rugs. Now the only thing I can find is a cover for the toilet lid.

Because there's nothing for the tank top, I can't place any glass items on there for fear of getting knocked off.

If I had my sewing machine I'd make a cute little "table runner" for the tank.

What do you have on the top of your tank besides tissues?

• bigdoglover

This thread has inspired me to have someone remove and drywall over the wooden magazine rack that the builder built into the wall right next to the toilet -- which I'm sure by now must be covered in "poop spray" (and I thought it as just dust!) The drywallers just happen to be here today and I'm adding it to their list of things to do. I'm totally serious.

Other than that, all I can say is that a toilet, being...er... well, a toilet and associated 100% with things best kept private... is not something to draw attention to or make a focal point of with decorations or cute outfits. It's a necessary tool, to be kept as clear and clean as possible considering what goes on in it. Nothing at all on my toilet (except of course when it is occupied.)

My powder room is large enough to have a little dresser in front of the toilet, and in this I keep reading material, extra TP, cleaning supplies, etc. However, I'm going to be cleaning it better than previously after reading this thread.

• kswl2

Susieq07, do you have different tile in your water closet (where your toilet is located) than in the rest of your master bath? The tile in the first picture of the tank cover/matching rug in the master bath is a greyish colour and the tile in the bigger master bath photo is an oatmeal brownish. Are they two different bathrooms?

How would you use or decorate this space? Need your design eye!

Spice rack, knife rack. Something for each access when cooking. I love the stuff at Ikea, low price and works great. You can remove the curves on spice rack to make it more modern. The more hanging on the wall, the less on the counter for a cleaner look.

How do you decorate a bathroom?

Hi Jensie! I love the fact that the wood floor and trim is classic. This is a nice spacious halfbath. In this space, I like your runner, although I would find one that is slightly lighter and longer. I would have it run out to about 4 inches from the wall but be he same width. Art groupings (i.e. rows of 2 or 3 photos where your current 1 floral painting is could work to add interest). I would also suggest different lighting - either just recessed, simple chandelier if your ceiling is high or wall sconces. I would find the runner you love and use it as your jumping off point when it comes to inspiring the style/color of your wall art and even the wall color if you'd like to change it although it doesn't seem bad as is:). You can even use the lines/shapes in the rug to inspire the trim of the mirror. Utilize the space over the toilet to bring it into balance with the rest of the room either by extending your mirror, adding art, or otherwise. I would avoid shelving. It appears that you might have a towel hanging on the wall to the right of the sink which is great as half baths are all about hospitality/convenience. I usually like to keep those in a solid color/very simple. Here are some examples of runner styles you could coordinate art and accessories with. I like to keep a little bit of texture but pile low as this room will likely get guest traffic and sometimes guest wear shoes which aren't so fun with plush carpets.:)

POLL: How many decorative pillows on your bed?

I finally gave up on decorative pillows for both our personal home and our short term rental - especially now with the COVID-19 cleaning protocols that I'll need to have in place for the security/safety of our guests... less is more these days Plus as my husband loves to remind me he regains "Two days of his life back!" https://youtu.be/bMVWECam8EA

POLL: How often do you throw out your sponge?

I'm not quite the opposite of that. I love the idea of using sponges, but when it comes down to it, I only want to use them if I'm the only person who has ever used them, and then only for the same purpose it was initially used for, and then only if it hasn't been contaminated somehow between uses. So, yeah, I don't really use sponges much. I like those scrubber sponges with Ajax to clean the bathtub, though, but I don't know where to store them after use (people move stuff and do things with it).
  • uxorial

lsandler--I have the items for each bathroom theme in separate plastic boxes, which are stored in an attic-type area of my house. I store the rugs separately in huge zip-lock bags.

I like to get something new for each theme every year. This year is the first year I've had a Thanksgiving shower curtain. And in June, I bought a bunch of different rubber duckies, which I'll use for their appropriate themes (check out the vampire ducky for Halloween, and the turkey ducky for Thanksgiving).

Here is a link that might be useful: I just uploaded some new photos

• daisyadair

Susieq07, I love both of your bathrooms and your guest bedroom. Your master bath is so spacious!!!
    I've been reading this thread debating whether to post or not. I've decided a couple of things - mainly, that I'm glad my toilet is in a potty closet with it's own door, and I'm glad I don't share it with my kids, (even my husband usually uses a different bathroom.)

That being said, the items on my toilet tank are for decorative use only. I bought them because of the color, not because I want to go around smelling like sangria.
    Lots of you have probably already seen it, but here goes:

• traditionalgirl1

Perhaps when you're done ROTFLYAO, susieq, you could fill us in on what decade exactly all the design companies were clamoring for your services. I can't imagine any decorators in the last 30 years applauding toilet upholstering.

Speaking of toilet upholstery, anyone have a toaster cozy? ;)

• lakeaffect

uxorial-

I want to use the facilities at your house, why I would even read the seasonal selection of magazines, replete with poop juice as they must be. What a fun and creative person you must be (not to mention a fellow non-germophobe).

And once again, I am amazed at the fear that a few germs arouse in some people, I really don't get worrying about covering your toothbrush, but then again we're a "If it's yellow, it's mellow" household, which I'm sure is not the norm on this board.

sandyponder

sandyponder

• arizonarose

This thread has me so totally confused I think I'm going to stop reading it...but than I keep coming back. Now I can't figure out who is serious and who is spoofing. I was serious about my tray and Lysol bottle.

Oh well...

• sable_ca

If you look closely at Susieq's closeup and then the distance shot of her pink BR, you can see that they are obviously the same room - pink wall on the right, cabinet on the left, and the cute little Hog Wash atop the toilet. The floor tiles are the same; the difference in lighting accounts for the variation in shade.

I love the Hog Wash and would like it for my over-the-top laundry room. But googling it just brings up drawings of pigs in bathtubs. Any suggestions to locate it online?

Daisyadair - I've always admired your pink loo-cubby. Fresh, feminine, perfectly composed and All Yours!

• Molly Brown

We have lived in this house for 31 years and have never flushed with the lid down and our toothbrushes have been on the vanity about 5 feet away, maybe less, forever.
    When is something bad going to happen to us because of this?
    You mean to tell me that I'd probably never have been sick all these years if I had closed the seat or had my brushes away??
    I don't know about you, but I have way too many other things that are fretting me to worry about this one.
    I must admit, tho, I am so entertained by these type of threads...I even look forward to them!! Keeps me laughing, and these days, I need that.

• susieq07

This is the fake window,in my breakfast room, complete with window sill, 2 birds and a nest on sill, balloon valance above with lighting underneath... and this is a window treatment I added in dining room, cut from plywood fabric pleated and attached in colors of my decor...
    fake window

window arch:

A note of interest to ya'll maybe?,(or not) have not been to a Dr. since I or hubby were teenagers, we do not even get colds, well maybe one in 10 yrs. or so, and now we are older then many of ya'll, me 60's hubby 70 we don't even get Flu shot's and don't plan to...so guess we're doing something right eh?? have no kids never planned on it, we're happy just the two of us, together 50 yrs. married 45, but if we had a son, he would have been house broken just like all the males in my family, they sit to pee just like they sit to chit unless in a public bathrooom with a urinal, no male pigs in my family!!! wizzing all over the rugs...NO WAY ain't neva gonna happen my mother house broke my Bro. and my Dad as well, you women folk are just putting up with male pigs is all...

• Ideefixe

So how many people remove their shoes before entering the bathroom? Let's combine two fave trends in one post.

• valzone5

How many people with guns leave their shoes on when they flush the toilet with the fuzzy-covered lid left up?

• kswl2

sable, it's the master bathroom, not the pink one. And I still think someone is having us on :)

• western_pa_luann

And then - because of the dusty fake and dried arrangements - sneeze into the contaminated kleenex ?

(just to add another favorite...)

• momto4boys

Wow, that's classy susieq. Going after the way people choose to raise their kids. I didn't chime in on your decor. But, as a mother of four boys..I take offense to you calling them pigs, just because they don't sit to pee.
    Nothing cuter then watching your little 2 yr old standing at the toilet, with a big grin and a BAD aim, while dunking cheerios in the water :) That's how I POTTY TRAINED (as they're children, not animals )my boys. I also teach them to clean up after themselves, and they've done a GREAT job. I rarely see any mess left behind.

• susieq07

Here's our potty room in our motorhome, pic. taken when new before my decorating, taken with old 35mm camera: not good color on old pic.
    Before:

And after:

which would you rather live with? there is a glass covered print above toilet and a cabinet also, not on pic.

• mclarke

Thanks for the photo of your fake window, SusieQ. I love it.

Men hate fuzzy toilet cover-covers because they prevent the toilet seat from staying up on its own. You (if you're a man) have to HOLD the toilet seat up. And it's impossible to leave the toilet seat up.

So if you think a toilet cover-cover has no charm, please consider its functional value... LOL....

• olliesmom

Now I know susieq is a prankster! House break a son?? Sits and pees like a girl?? Sorry, but if I saw a man do that, I'd crack up and run the other way. No male pigs in my family either, but they stand up in all their glory like most men do!

I can't believe all of you are actually buying all of this!

Hire her for a decorator? Maybe 30 years ago!

This is hilarious!

• traditionalgirl1

THANKS for all that too much information. As if the REAL visuals weren't enough to make my eyeballs crack, now I have to deal with the mental images!...

• olliesmom

And, she just keeps posting these pics that just get worse and worse each time. LOL!

• IdaClaire

Jeez Louise.

I thought I'd add a post, to try to help this thing along to 150.

• allison0704

I hate to break it to some of you, but Susieq's been around for awhile. No pranking going on. Maybe she'll post pictures of her blue driveway. It's a sight to see.

I have to agree that calling men and/or boys "pigs" is quite rude. fwiw, I don't feel that bad aiming is what makes the toilet area unsanitary. It's more a mental thing than actual.

I also have to add to an earlier comment by Susieq; having a regular toilet with a tank that is undecorated does not look like public restrooms. All of the public restrooms I go into have tankless commercial toilets.....and I assume the men's restrooms also have urinals. Neither are found in homes I've been inside.

• western_pa_luann

C'mon people... another 2 dozen posts and this will drop down to be hopefully forgotten!

• IdaClaire

Oh, please. We all know that men aren't pigs.

Cats are pigs. Trust me on this one.

• squirrelheaven

Well, this is mine. Double-duty wherever I can.

• rabbit_house

A friend found this gem

Those are fishing lures, btw, embedded in the seat.

• allison0704

There's always the $75,000 Swarvoski toilet:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Over the top?

• Happyladi

Susieq, I actually prefer the first picture of your motorhome's bathroom. I think the second picture would look better if you matched the toilet seat cover to the floor mat colors. The purple kind of clashes.

You seem to like color a lot but I notice all your walls are very white, unless they have wallpaper on them. Do you just perfer white walls?

Can we see your blue driveway?

• allison0704

DH took this picture when traveling. What would Mr SusieQ do in Japan? Not sure you can or should sit on that. Yes, these are in the mens and ladies rooms.

• allison0704

Olliesmom and Happyladi, check your emails.

• susieq07

Sure here's my driveway course most of you younguns with attitudes, no need to comment,could not afford it at a cost of 6 Grand, but ask me if I care, it's the hit of our neighborhood of about 3,000 homes, and everything that comes out of these fingers, is the truth because that's the way of me, honest to a fault and iffin ya'll don't like it ya'll can kiss my grits...again ROFLMAO...I see some god awful decorating on here but don't even bother to comment just chalk it up to, lack of experience..
    driveway:

walk at christmas 07

and the teal color on our house you have no idea how many people rang our bell to ask what the color was and where to get it..as for your rug rats ya'll raise em any way ya like,, just keep em outta the shopping carts with their runny noses and chitty diapers, yer making people sick!! cause rug rats are almost always sick... for those of you who are not smart asses, thanks for your real comments..and that's the last post on this subject from me got better things to do like my Christmas decorating..

• Happyladi

Allison, nothing in my email. I am not making fun of Susieq if that is what your email was about. She asked us which bathroom picture we liked better and I told her. I also made what I thought was a helpful suggestion on the colors in there.

I asked about the walls because I noticed all her walls were very white and I can tell she likes color.

I really would like to see her blue driveway, I am having a hard time picturing a blue driveway.

• rabbit_house

Oh Allison! I haven't seen one of those since I was avoiding them in Japan! One squats to use it and if you think men missing a Western toilet is bad...

• ljsandler

susieq07--you mentioned you and hubby never get colds, etc. I am especially interested in your statement as I get sick at least once, maybe twice a year and then a couple of times it goes into pneumonia. Do you take vitamins? Maybe I live too close to a city--what state do you live in?

• sedeno77

I am crying from laughter - I can't take it anymore - and
    my eyes hurt (too much tackiness for one day!)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Frankly, I'm surprised by all the comments that haven't been said! That alone is amazing...and why this thread is still here.

• IdaClaire

Bumblebeez, I thought the same thing! And to be honest, I've typed out a couple of responses, but thought twice before submitting them, and just kept my thoughts to myself. (Well, except about cats being pigs. I stand by that assertion. ;-))

• leahcate

Not often, but once in a **blue**moon I do think,'Thank the Lord for CC&Rs

• sedeno77

Susieq - I remember your comments about soonermagic's lovely home:

Help: Photo Shoot at MY house THIS week!

* Posted by susieq07 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 7, 08 at 8:36

"Cute little house, but the decorating is over kill, and very mishmash, too many unrelated items for my taste, plus tiny items on big walls, personal photo's in the kit??? table lamp in kit.?? must be a small unimportant mag. to want to photo shoot it? course just my view none of it is my taste in home or furnishings...sooo just my opinion, you did ask for opinions after all."

So, don't say you keep your thoughts to yourself.

• graywings123

I believe Susieq posted for a while on the HGTV decorating forum. I recall seeing that window arch treatment and reading about the many offers of employment in the decorating field, which were from people she had hired to do work. And some interesting opinions on the appropriate height of pictures on the walls.

• momto4boys

Holy COW..she said that about sooner's house!?!? I'm in awe here in sooo many ways.

• traditionalgirl1

yvette, why of course we know nothing about decorating properly. Kitchens are NOT for personal pictures. Kitchens are for ducks. Ducks, and plenty of 'em!

• allison0704

That's not what it was about, happyladi.

As far as her last post, let's just say I'm glad I live in my bubble and don't have to deal with rude people in real life.

• allison0704

Yvette, I remember her post to someone about their pillows, very nice oriental rug and gorgeous draperies that went something like "Oh, my eyes! There is no place to rest my eyes! Too Busy! Busy, busy busy!"

• olliesmom

Okay, I was feeling a little bad, but now, after reading what she said about soonermagic's house, which we all know is decorated very well, I don't.

I have to say that in the years I have spent on this forum, I have never said anything about anyone's decorating until now. This is the first "out there" kind of decorating I have ever seen on here, so I thought it was a joke.

I hope, if I ever post pics, that she does say she doesn't like my style!

I hope I haven't scared anyone of posting pics, because I really and truly enjoy them and see some wonderful things.

• amysrq

Ding ding ding. One-five-oh. Lay this one to rest.

• iris16

All I can say is oh my, oh my, oh my. DONE

• kwhelan21_yahoo_com

Well.... I just finished painting a black and white harlequin design on the lid of my toilet tank. I got inspired by my Jim Shore cat and a visit to MacKenzie Child and the kids and I painted the wall above the wainscot bright red and we got jewel colored towels in red, purple orange, etc. It really looks great (it took a while to sell me on the colors but they work). We are putting a checkerboard edging on the dark wood mirror. When it's finished I will send a picture

• cbear33

I know I'm a little late to the game here. I have to say this is one of the best Houzz posts I've ever read. :)

• Lori Trimm
    I personally don't think anything is needed at all, but if you're looking for ideas and not opinions my top 3 would be poutpouirre in a decorative container, a small fern type plant or flower, or a candle. but of course I do have an opinion about my ideas, lol, and that is to keep a low profile here, no need to make it a focal point.
ANF Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Loudoun County's Quality Driven Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Firm