Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdmasek

Mildew stains on Hunter Douglas blinds

tuesdayschild
10 years ago

Hi folks,
We have a 20s-era beach cottage, beautifully updated by the previous owners who put white Hunter Douglas Silhouettes throughout the house. They are gorgeous and weirdly perfect w/ the cottagey brightwhite mouldings/trim/mullions against the pastel walls in grey, lilac, blue, etc. I love their light filtering/privacy position/disappearing open position...BUT we have one room in which we're getting mold on the blinds at the bottom (the bottom 10-14" are affected on all windows). It's evident from the layers and layers of added insulation in the attic and blown insulation in the walls, etc. that many generations have tried to "warm" this one room without success. We even had the furnace replaced and ducting rerouted to try to warm it up and get more [dry] circulation in it, with little success. It's cool, deeply shaded by a neighbor's tree, and prone to mold.

So... bids for blind cleaning by HD-trained pros were breathtaking ($25 sq ft was the cheapest). No way. So I tried the Bissell little green solution suggested and enjoyed on another thread in the forum without success. Still stained. Has anyone ever tried giving their HD Silhouettes a soak in oxygen bleach? I'm guessing this may be the only option, but wondered if anyone else has tried it and to what effect. I'm thinking a soak in oxygen bleach followed by a Little green machine warm wash rinse/suction?

I'd love to hear if anyone has a good DIY solution -- otherwise its going to be replacement, because if I can't clean 'em myself, these are not the window treatments for this room.
Thanks much for any ideas!

Comments (2)