Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trancegemini_wa

What do call those bed things?

trancegemini_wa
14 years ago

sorry if this is a stupid question but what do you call those "things" that go at the foot of the bed on top of the bedspread. someone posted the name a while ago and said they use them in hotels. It's not a blanket or throw or a full length cover, it's the decorative "thingy" that sits across the end of the bed and sometimes drapes down the end of the bed a bit. I've been trying to google them and I cant remember what they were called but they had a specific name I think

Comments (28)

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

Duvet?

• natal
    14 years ago

I don't know that they're called, but there was one on the bed in the room we had earlier this year at Residence Inn.

Here is a link that might be useful: bed shawl?

• natal
    14 years ago

The Marriott calls them a bed scarf.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to Marriott

• trancegemini_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks ladies, it's not a quilt or duvet but a bed scarf or bed shawl would be close. For some reason I have it stuck in my head that the name was a long-ish non-english word.

I'll try googling bed scarf and bed shawl and see what comes up.

• trancegemini_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh well done natal, it must be a bed scarf it's bringing up lots of results of what I was thinking of. thank you!

• User
    14 years ago

I think it is called a bed throw.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

coverlet?

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Non-English word for scarf. Maybe a bed babushka? LOL !

• punamytsike
    14 years ago

"babushka" is like a grandma or old lady in Russian?

• datura-07
    14 years ago

I first saw one at the Marriott in Key Largo. It was so beautiful - very tropical. I asked about it and they called it a bed scarf. Now I have one in one of my guest rooms.

• jant
    14 years ago

"thanks ladies, it's not a quilt or duvet but a bed scarf or bed shawl would be close. For some reason I have it stuck in my head that the name was a long-ish non-english word..."

A Suzani on the end of the bed has become quite popular of late...perhaps you'd seen some pix and that was the word you were trying to remember? Here's a link to some...the older antique ones from Asia are extremely pricey. I've seen some in the $10K range.

Here is a link that might be useful: suzani

• trancegemini_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jant I'm pretty sure that's the word i was trying to remember! but I realise now a "bed scarf" is probably the actual generic "thing" I was looking for.

I love them too now datura, they just seem like a nice decorative touch without being too bulky and in my climate I'd rarely need an extra blanket or cover at the end of the bed.

thanks so much everyone, it was driving me nuts trying to google them without a clue to what they were called. another decorating mystery solved!

• bitsy
    14 years ago

I have also seen them called a "bed runner." Happy shopping!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

"babushka" is like a grandma or old lady in Russian?

It is, but it also refers to a square scarf folded into a triangle, worn on the head and tied under the chin by little old Polish ladies.

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

babushka, you had me laughing my butt off!! Can you imagine going into a fine dept. store and asking for a babushka for the end of your bed !

• sallymo2015
    14 years ago

I've heard them called a "scaldino".

• trancegemini_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Can you imagine going into a fine dept. store and asking for a babushka for the end of your bed !"

lol, you'd get some weird reactions to that one. I'm getting so many results through google and they even make ones so your pets can lie on them instead of the bedding. I love the fact it "Features a protective moisture barrier  just in case"

geez, I'm very laid back when it comes to my pets but I draw the line at them lying on my bed peeing LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: bed scarfs for pets

• namsok9
    8 years ago

It is called a scaldino :-)

• Bárbara Santana
    6 years ago

In Spanish we call them "pie de cama".

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

They also protect the bed from wear of suitcases being plopped on the bed. I once paid dearly at a bed and breakfast because my suitcase, (unbeknownst to me) had a rough edge on the wheel cover that tore the bedspread. It would have been much easier to replace a bed scarf!

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I don't know, but I bought a printed linen 'throw' recently, folded it, and it fits perfectly on our queen size bed with a bit of overhang on each side plus fringe. So I'm calling mine a throw.

• jennieeleanor
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Bed Runner

• PRO
    Laura Ballard Designs LLC
    5 years ago

Dohar

• chisue
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Now I can't remember the term for the thin spreads that I received as wedding presents fifty years ago. These were not 'bedspreads', but lightweight, rather feminine covers that went over sheet and blanket to 'dress' the bed when the spread was removed. "Dayspread?" "Nightspread?" "Napspread?"

• Karen Collinson
    4 years ago

bed runner

• franim
    2 years ago

Bed scarf?

• HU-960089616
    2 years ago

Bed runner