hmdennis_gw

Finished (Moslty) Kitchen, white cabs, emerald pearl, pics

hmdennis

The first and most important thing I want to share with all of you about my kitchen is my thanks. I have learned so much from this forum and the lovely people who post on it. I am mostly a lurker, but posted some anxious emerald pearl and cabinet spacing questions that people really helped me work through. I still need to paint the sliding french doors, and finish the curtains, but thank you and here we go.

We undertook a remodel of our kitchen, dining room, laundry room this summer. I have been inspired by the "Big Enough" house movement, and was determined to keep our 2000 sq. ft 1936 house true to itself while meeting the needs of our family of five. After 6 years in our house we decided that we really just needed a slightly larger dining room, and that all of our other needs could be met within the original foot print. The kitchen remains 16x9. The main structural changes we made were to bump the dining room out four feet, move the wall next to the refrigerator back 18 inches to create more space for the island and install larger, more energy efficient doors and windows.

Here are best before pics I have.

And here are some after pictures. (The laundry room paint looks day glo in these pics for some reason, but it is the same as all of the other rooms.)

There are more pics in my photobucket album linked below.

Details:

Contractor: Baerenk Construction (fabulous!)

Cabinets: Custom from Western Idaho Cabinets

Counters: Emerald Pearl Granite

Backsplash: Anchor Bay Tile- Soho in Bisque, and black liner from Home Depot. (Thanks to Jgarner53 for inspiration)

Windows: Marvin wood interior, aluminum exterior

Lighting: Schoolhouse electric

Wall Color: BM Windham Cream

Appliances: Existing and too many brand names to mention.

Sink: Sterling McCallister 33x9 single bowl

Faucet: Hanover by?

Favorite things: Emerald Pearl granite: it is stunning and bullet proof, deep single bowl sink, new single level island, dish drawer in island, new pantry.

Thank you again, see the link below for more pics.

Heather

Here is a link that might be useful: Heather's Finished Kitchen Album

• iambpt

Wow... good job. I love the light and airy feel!

Are those steel windows I see in the "before" pics? Can you tell me how difficult those were to replace. Do you know any of the details about taking them out, etc. We have steel windows and have been told they are "historic" so we shouldn't replace them, but boy i'm tempted.. yours look great.
    beth

• beekeeperswife

It is gorgeous! Congratualations. I love the way it just fits your house so perfectly. Great job!

In your before picture I was quite fascinated by the brick island! It looked like a barbeque!

Feedback please on Master Suite finishes

Home depot can get in MS international tiles. This is one we saw and liked. It has all the colors in it and really looks a lot like the vanity wall, with the black (counters), and swirls of blue and brown running though it. Well, you'll see for yourself from link :-) But I used it to make material and we like it a lot. A person could choose to bring in a solid blue subway tile as a horizontal stripe in shower or not... the blue seems to pop out. But a stripe could really help bring it out maybe? http://www.msistone.com/iridescent-glass-4mm/midnight-blue/ hubby found this one online. It's 12x24 and also comes in 6x24 but it's $2 more. But it too has those same colors almost like those "grassy" fabric daltile tiles, which we like too. I see black (or really dark charcoal? like counter) and then brown and blue. A person would definitely want to bring a pop of blue stripe or something in this one to really bring out those blues? Only thing is, this tile is REALLY hard to get! I have one site for it and I have to order a miminum of 13 boxes. ugh. I need like half that. Not sure how to deal with that. http://www.builddirect.com/Porcelain-Tile/Nero/ProductDisplay_6933_p1_10055476.aspx I know hubby would prefer the large tile and I do think it's pretty! And maybe the vanity wall across the way would be enough to bring out the blue in it. the rendering of the mosaics doesn't show brown as much as I think it would according to the link. I would think it would show like the blue. That's why i need to see sample. I think the big tile is really pretty tho

White Glass Backsplash does not look white.

Regular glass has a certain amount of iron in it, which gives it a greenish hue. Low iron glass has less, or sometimes, no greenish tint at all such as Starphire glass. These types of glass are more expensive and so tile must be tested in the field against the counter sample. Some colors bring out the green in the glass and compare to others, it is not very noticable. Our interior designer always places all the coordinating materials in the field (under natural lighting) to verify it works the same as in the design studio.

Should we paint these oak cabinets white/off-white?

You may have already made your decision, but since you posted this dilemma I have finished my kitchen - a small refresh with new counters, farmhouse sink, faucet and backsplash. Earlier I reworked the former microwave shelf to a plate rail and spice box area as I am short and I and my daughters did not like trying to always reach up to use it. My style is sort of vintage / cottage. Here is the kitchen finished except for the backsplash. The backsplash is painted the color I intended to use for the backsplash as a test: https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~54988842 https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~54994093 https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~47408852 I just finished the backsplash yesterday and do not have pics of the full kitchen, but here is part showing the counter and backsplash: https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~57088087 The sink is the Kohler Whitehaven cast iron short apron farmhouse sink. I used this sink because it can be used on a standard sink base. The backsplash is H-Line Alabaster subway tile. The countertop is sold both as Flaked Pearl through Menard's or LG White Pearl through a K&B store.

White dove cabinets with white quartz

Very nice! Are you liking the flow of the kitchen? Would you change anything? How wide is the entrance to kitchen? What is your space between island and perimeter, 42" ? Thanks!
  • mamalynn

Very, Very Beautiful! That island is a real attention-getter, and I LOVE your lighted cabinets in the dining room. Those pieces are just the perfect colors! The dark hardware looks great on the white cabinets. That black liner in the backsplash is a fantastic element. Your windows are gorgeous. You've done a great job of pulling it all together!

Enjoy!

• jb1176

Like others have said, the renovation is a huge success. It looks so calm and so clean and has a simple elegance. I love the color combinations you have used.

I am curious also about the brick island in the before pictures. I assume it was removed, not just cut down and refaced, because you mention having dish drawers in the island.

What paint color did you use on the cabinets?

Wonderful job and I wish your family thousands of happy hours in your home.

• mjintx

Gorgeous. The black and white is so crisp, then the floor and paint warms it just enough.

• timber.j

Very cool! I really LOVE the checkerboard floor in the laundry room.

• hmdennis

Thanks for all of the kind words! bethandkevin, the windows were not steel, they were replacement windows from the late 80s so came out with no problem.Good luck with your's.

jb1176 the paint color on the cabinets was one of the finishes offered by our cabinet maker, sort of. They usually glaze it after painting and call it "Ivory". I requested no glaze, they forgot and I had to send back every single cabinet to be re-painted. I matched it fairly closely for the ceiling and trim with BM White Dove.

Beekeeperswife and jb1176: Wasn't that brick island crazy?! I hated it from the moment we bought the house and I can't tell you how many times my kids scraped their knees on it sitting at the island. Yes it was demo-ed (one of my favorite days of construction!) to make way for the longer, wider island.

• wascolette

Absolutely love it! Love your whole place. It's a home I could see myself truly comfortable in. Good job!

• lisa_a

Love your kitchen, love your home! What an inviting, charming space. It all fits so nicely together. Well done!

Your DR cabinet with its colorful dishware display reminds me that I wanted to do something similar in my DR. Hmmmmm, the wheels are turning. Thanks! ;-)

• friedajune

Your kitchen is so lovely. I have pantry-envy over your pantry! It looks so organized, while mine is always jumbled no matter what I do. How do you get your canned goods to stack like that on the 4th shelf--is there some tiered shelving or something?

• pharaoh

What can I say except - WOOWWWWWWWW!!

It looks awesome. Great choice of materials. (so glad to see that brick, laminated doors gone). The granite is stunning.
    The design looks really nice.

So when is the party for us all ?:)

• malhgold

What a great job!! And you absolutely seemed to stay "true to the house". Love the windows. Are the grids painted black or are they steel? Love how the kitchen is open to both the family room and the dining room. You did a great job. Congratulations and enjoy!!!

• bostonpam

Wow, you makeover is beautiful and your choices - cabinets, lighting, etc. match perfectly to the period of your house. Congrats!

• morton5

I love it! I keep scrolling back and forth to see how you added more space-- and I'm not even sure if you did. As others have said, it looks fantastic, and I love the windows. I really like the black window grids. Your cabs are gorgeous, and I love the black and white theme. It's very homey. Great renovation!

• scootermom

Really beautiful! I can't figure out where your trash is, it must be cleverly hidden in a cabinet.

When you say dish drawer in the island, do you mean dish storage or a dishwasher drawer?

I absolutely adore your pantry...so did my 9-year-old daughter! what are the dimensions, please? I'd also love to know the dimensions of your island and your mudroom...I will look in the album for mudroom pics.

Chris

• grlwprls

Gorgeous!

• donnakay2009

Fantastic! It looks so clean and inviting. The contrast is great. I am sooooo envious of the Schoolhouse lights--the new black line shades are my absolute favorite, but wouldn't have gone with our other color choices. They just look perfect with your black accents and granite. Congratulations.

• donka

Beautiful! I love the black mullions in the windows, and the black and white flooring in the room off the kitchen. Was that new too? It all ties together so beautifully. You did a great job and the kitchen seems to really fit into the house wonderfully.

Bravo and congrats!

• hmdennis

This is so fun! Its like showing your baby pics!

Pharaoh: Anytime you find yourself in Boise ID, you come by and we will have a party!

Morton 5: The kitchen footprint stayed the same, but we bumped the DR out 4 ft. The beam in the ceiling of the DR is the old exterior wall.

akchicago: The pantry shelves have 3 tier risers that I found at Target and Fred Meyer. I could probably fit more if I stacked, but then I couldn't tell what I had. This really helps me stay organized becauase I can see everything at once.

mallhgold: Thanks! And the window grids in the DR are painted, the ones in the LR are between the glass, and inspired me to paint the new ones.

Scootermom: The trash is just under the sink on the left side. I got a pull out for the first time and love it becasue I can leave it open while I cook and throw stuff in as I go. The Pantry is a wee 12" deep, 4 ft wide and I think 84" tall. If you had the room, I would suggest 14 inches, because most of the organizer baskets I found won't fit in faced front to back. The mudroom/laundry room you see with the checked floor is I believe about 8x14. And here is a pic of the dish drawer. BEST THING EVER with kids because they can reach everything without climbing on the counters.

• gbsim1

Beautiful!!!

Can I ask about the dish drawer? I see you've got some heavy dishes.... do you find it very heavy to open? How big is the drawer? Did you use two pulls and if so do you ever pull on only one and have a problem opening the drawer? Any recommendations on design etc with the drawer?

Thanks! and again you did a terrific job blending all of your rooms and making your vision come to life!

(And as a former Bernese owner, I love your "Saintly" friend there on the floor!)

• hmdennis

gbism: The island drawers are 36 inches wide and 8 inches deep. I do have heavy fiesta ware, but the drawer opens very smoothly. I put two handles on the drawer, but find I usually just use one, with no problem. When I did the layout of the drawer I put the heaviest dishes in the back because I thought it might put less stress on the drawer over time. It took me about an hour (and a glass of wine) to figure out how to fit it all in. I think my DH and contractor were in near hysterics by the fourth time I took the pegs out and started over, but it was worth it! And my Saint Bernard is very happy it is all over, but I think he misses the contractor!

• julie94062

Heather, what an absolutely wonderful transformation! You should be very proud...both for all the planning (and we all know how much must have gone into it!) and, of course, how it turned out. Isn't it great to have such a nice space for your family?

(P.S. I had bricks on my old island, too!)

• boxerpups

Magnificent. hmdennis,Truly Magnificent.

I love the dark granite it looks black but photos up
    close show the texture and green pearl tones. Lovely.
    The cup pulls, the back splash, the light fixtures and
    the soft warm wood floors all flow nicely. The details,
    the details, the details... the lighted cabinets with the
    accented plates, the large pull down faucet fits
    perfectly. The black island and it's stools are almost
    hidden and do not take over the room but provide
    a great place to sip a cup of tea and pour over cook books.

The soft yellow paint just warms this white kitchen and
    turn it into a dream. Add to this kitchen the flow into
    the rest of the house and wow that BM windham cream (looks
    like a soft yellow) pulls the entire house together. It
    looks like a show piece. Something out of House Beautiful.
    I love the entire house.

Magnificent kitchen!
    ~boxerpups

• trudymom

Wow, you did an incredible job. Everything is so organized and gorgeous. I love it all! Congratulations!!

• tntwalter

Fantastic job. I love absolutely every last detail.

Bravo!

Trish

• lovesbirds_2009

WOW! What a fantastic transformation. I had to keep scrolling back to see the before because I couldn't believe it was the same kitchen. Love the soft yellow with the crisp white and black and the way you carried the colors thruout your home. Love the checkerboard in the laundryroom. You did a great job and hope you have many years of happiness in your new space.

• karena_2009

Your pantry is to die for and I love the School House lights, and oh, the little line detail in the backsplash to give just a wee bit of color and interest! What a great, beautiful, and functional space--you nailed it!

• bri29

Heather~ You've done a fantastic job! I love how the kitchen fits with the home and the period details are fantastic. And that pantry!?!? *swoon!* The whole thing is truly gorgeous. Congratulations!

Bri

• bestyears

Spectacular! I bet you just love hanging out in there!

• hmdennis

Thank you for all of your kind words! I have admired many of your kitchens, and heeded your knowledgeable advice, so it is great to be able to share the final product!

• mpmg46

How gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing! Your home is beautiful, complete, yet organized, and clutterless! That is my dream!

And I have to comment too on your pantry. I'm in awe of how incredibly organized even its contents are! That's just amazing! Mine would never stay like that for long, much as I'd love for it to!

Congrats on a fabulous job! I'm truly inspired! Thanks for sharing!

• Rudebekia

Really lovely!! May I ask about your Anchor Bay tile? How does the quality compare to cheaper (ie Dal or American Olean) tile, and why did you select it? I'm looking for a subway that is an "upgrade" from something like Daltile or American Olean but doesn't break the bank. Also, is the bisque a creamy white, like it looks, or on the beige side? I think they also have a crackle tile I want to look at. Thanks!

• pluckymama

What a wonderful transformation! You have such a beautiful and cheerful kitchen. I love the white cabs with the emerald granite countertops and the perfect yellow (which is so hard to find) walls and the contrasting black accents. Agree with other poster, it should be in House Beautiful! Great job.

• gsciencechick

Just gorgeous! I am envious of such a huge pantry!

• hmdennis

I showed this post to my husband and he reminded me that the kitchen is actually only 13x9, not 16x9 which it would have ended up if we had bumped it out like we did the dining room. I thought I should clarify in case anyone with a similar sized kitchen was wondering.

marita40: I was originally going to use dal tile. Then we I got the door sample for my cabinets it just looked too white in comparison. So I looked at a lot of tile. I ordered samples from Anchor Bay, including the crackle, which is really pretty. But as Sweeby says, you have to stay with your vision, and mine was clean and simple, so I went with the solid glaze. I think the bisque gives the tile a slightly "older" look, and makes the contrast with the granite a little less severe. If you are considering the bisque, I would suggest ordering a square foot rather than just one tile, because it does trend (IMO) a little warm gray, rather than beige. And at $8.50 sf, it wasn't awfully expensive.

mpmg36: I really think having a shallow pantry helps keep it organized. At one point in our planning we were trying to fit in a small walk in pantry, so at first I was a little disappointed with the idea of the shallow pantry. But I think in terms of function, it works better for me, and my kids, because we can tell what we have at a glance.

• starpooh

Wow! Your new kitchen is gorgeous!

May I add your kitchen to the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist to give your permission.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• buddyrose

Sweet. I love BM Windham Cream. It's my living room color. I also have a white kitchen but went with sapphire blue granite. Your color looks almost black as does mine. And I also put up schoolhouse style lighting.

But your kitchen is bigger and you put some glass insets on some of your cabinets and you have that terrific island. hmmmmm..... I'm jealous. ;-)

• donnakay2009

Wow! Fantasic look. You did a beautiful job with everything. I especially love the contented doggy!
    Hey--you have a Hanover faucet by PricePfister, just like mine. I posted last week that our water tastes weird now. We have prep sink with another P/P faucet (Marielle--small) and it's not a problem. We live in Medford, Oregon--with the best water possible. Have you noticed a funny taste from your faucet? Someone suggested it may be because of the plastic used in the P/P faucets. Any ideas, HMDennis??
    Otherwise, I love the faucet--you too?

• lisaslists2000

It is simply a stunning vision that you carried out so successfully. I was slowly scrolling down through your before pics, then the after pic came up and it actually startled me with how pretty and different from the previous it was! So fresh, so beautifully done. Congratulations!
    Lisa

• reshal

Wow, you've done a great job! AND you're the one with the backsplash I like! I saw the photo in another post and have been mulling over how to do an accent pencil like yours. You must feel so proud of your accomplishment!

• jakkom

I can only echo what everyone has said. You really did a terrific job, and it's a tribute to your design vision how you made the spaces flow together beautifully without needing to add a zillion more sq. ft. of house. Congratulations!

• susanlynn2012

Hmdennis, I agree that your pantry is to die for and I love the lighting. I love the beautiful microwave over the range and it is the one I would love if I was taller but I would not be able to reach it so I have to have the microwave on the counter. But yours is so stylish. I also love the dish drawer keeping your dishes and small bowls so organized. Thanks for sharing.

• hmdennis

Wow! i hadn't checked this post for a while, thank you for all of the nice comments. Even though I am "done" with this kitchen remodel, I still check this forum nearly everyday!

Starpooh: Yes, I will complete the checklist and add to FKB.

Donnakay2009: No weird taste in our water...yet! :) But we also added a small bathroom to the upstairs of our house this summer, using plastic water lines and the kids say the water tastes weird in there. We still have copper lines downstairs, so maybe that is the difference.

rehsal: I actually stole that backssplash idea from jgarner53 on the FKB. She did a green "dot" between pencil liners, cut from a different color liner. I thought that was even cuter than ours, but at the time I was too worried that the Emerald Pearl would be "too flashy" and decided to keep it simple. Wish now I had done the dot.

• sabjimata

oooh la love! it looks great. you and i are alike in that i am totally about the flushmount and am ant-can lighting. can you tell me, though, is that a fluorescent cloud in the center? what brand? is it recessed into the ceiling?

thanks!