Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
comfortgal

What color to paint upper walls of small black & white tiled walls of bathroom

Diane
11 years ago
First home-all other rooms have color-want something other than white for bathroom. Want to keep tile as is.

Comments (16)

• elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Window Treatment · More Info
    Master Bath · More Info
    Crisp Architects · More Info

Lots of great colors you can use. But, what is outside the bathroom for colors?
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    A grey colour would be nice. There is an article in houzz called 50 shades of grey and they look good.
  • PRO
    Authentic Hardwoods
    11 years ago
    Hello
    I really like to use gray for wall paint
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    Pick your curtains first, then choose a color to match/compliment them. Just about anything will work with black and white
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would put white shutters on the window, or white wood blinds, keeping the window treatment simple. For the walls, I'd consider coral. Or black and white stripes such as you can see below. Add colored towels.
    Stonebreaker Builders & Remodelers · More Info
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Yes, I would also like to know what is on the walls outside the bathroom before recommending a paint color. Thanks!
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    The beauty of classic black and white tile is that you can go with any color you want. I agree that you should settle on the window treatment first. If you pick a fabric, then you can choose a color from it.

Gray is soothing:
    Bathroom · More Info
    Or even a neutral beige:
    Traditional Bathroom · More Info
    or in this room, which is Benjamin Moore Clay Beige:
    Master Bath · More Info

Sea Salt, by Shermin Williams is soft:
    Owners Bath · More Info
  • PRO
    Lisa Lucas Design
    11 years ago
    That bathroom has a lot going on visually so make sure to wrap the color onto the ceiling to quiet some of the chaos. Benjamin Moor Palladian Blue is really pretty with honey colors in the adjacent rooms.
  • lessismoore
    11 years ago
    Love your tile. Do you have dark wood cabinetry under the sink there? Palladian blue is soooo pretty. But "golden straw" sounds nice too, especially if you have other colors in there. A dark turquoise might be a bit intense for a paint, especially if you do paint the ceiling the same color (which I've done in my own bath and it is great, makes it all very subtle ...) and as it seems to be a narrow space. What other colors did you want to use? Like in your towels especially. I could imagine a palladian blue paint or a soft gray and several shades of deeper blue towels, maybe even some grays too.
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    You may want to put in a bottom-up top-down shade for a cleaner look. The stripe on your current curtain is distracting since it's almost at the level of the stripe in the tile, but it's not straight.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I agree with painting the ceiling the same color as the walls, unless you are using a fairly dark color, then I'd go with a lighter shade of the same on the ceiling.
  • PRO
    WelcomeHome staging & decorating, LLC
    9 years ago
    I would leave the walls white. And paint a wide black single stripe like border,,,all the way around about a foot above the tile. This way you could change out curtains, rugs etc. in any color you choose.
  • Joe
    9 years ago
    Diane; What is the color blue that you ended up using? Looks nice
  • Diane
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hey there, Joe. Thank you--I love this color! It's "Maiden Voyage" from Olympia.
  • Cheryl Smith
    9 years ago

wow it looks great. amazing what a little color can do. the great thing about a black and white base you can put any color with it. just a suggestion because Im doing it and it works real good for me. Ive bought towels in 2 coordinating colors one for me and one for my husband, no question who's towel it is. if you have more people sharing this bath just bring in more colors of towels. I also have done this so guests can do the same. Id suggest keeping the white for guests and bringing in new for yourself. 2 or 3 apeice is all you need, 1 in use, 1 in in the wash and a clean ready for use.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath