Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lissyanna21

What to do first when refinishing and repainting?

lissyanna21
9 years ago
I am in the process of buying a home that was built in the 1930s, and there are several things I plan to do before moving in. What order do I do these in?

1) Have carpets cleaned (3 bedrooms and a family room). Assuming do this after the floor refinishing and wall painting?
2) Have wood floors (living, dining, small hallway, and potentially kitchen - see #3) refinished.
3) Replace kitchen appliances (will eventually need to remodel the small galley kitchen, but don't have the budget yet for new counters, sink, backsplash, etc.; planning to live with existing kitchen with just new appliances for a year). I'm assuming I should refinish the floors after new appliances in case they don't have same footprints but don't want to wait for cabinetry replacement because these floors could really use the refresh (kitchen floors are pine, I believe original to the house). Or would refinishing them before the remodel be a huge waste of money?
4) Repaint plaster walls and ceilings (and patch/repair small plaster cracks where necessary)
5) Repaint / refinish wood doors and trim (door and window frames, base board). Some woodwork is currently painted white (bedroom, family room, bathroom, hallway); elsewhere is stained dark (would like to lighten it up). I am hoping to have one door between the hallway and dining room removed (with frame patched for hinges).

I feel like some of it is circular reasoning (e.g. repaint the walls/trim before refinishing the floors to avoid sanders from chipping the paint and stain drips on walls, but paint walls before floors in case paint is spilled on floors and so residual dust isn't on walls if trying to paint). Help/advice appreciated :)