Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
design4menow

1950's Pepto Bismol pink and Mint green bathroom

Dianna Dunn
9 years ago
This bathroom needs a lot of help to be able to function.
The shower is very very small and separate from the tub.
When you first walk in the shower is to the left and forward you see the tub under the sink.

I would like to have a tub and shower combined ( tiled around tub all the way up. Gain at least a 48 in wide vanity with one sink.
Bathroom is around 5.5 ft wide by 11.5 ft long.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    nancy34
    9 years ago
    The demo and new plumbing along with new fixtures will bring your budget up, maybe more then you are thinking about spending. I have a plumber I have worked with for
    years and he will do the complete bath remodel and have me for consultation. With new
    fixtures, new cabinet, sink, faucet and shower set, mirror, lighting, tile and electrical labor, prep, demo and new construction on old shower, maybe a linen closet, have you decided
    on a budget????????????
  • Dianna Dunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I just bought the house 6 months ago. I've never done a complete demo in a bathroom so I don't know what to expect. But I do know that the PINK has to go. I was hoping to stay under 15k. Plumbing is all open in basement so hopefully that will help.

I want a very simple design. I like classic colors like white, gray or beige.
  • Dianna Dunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I should mention the shower is on the right as you walk in. Typo on entry.
  • Soumaya Haddad
    9 years ago
    oooo that's a gut and restart type of job! All of that lovely pink needs to go! U should turn the shower area into a storage/linen closet, get a ``light`` barely there type of sink to really open up that space.. Implement the idea of horizontal stripes on the window wall (pattern you can make with the tiles you choose) as well as for your floors. This will make the space feel less narrow. Paint that window casing white and stick to white trim. Choose light blue/gray (very trendy right now) for paint or stick to white (clean, fresh, timeless) and add a splash of color with your accessories (towels, wall art, candles etc..)
    GOOD LUCK!

Soumaya
    Interior Decorator
  • Dianna Dunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like the tile floor choice . I thought a type of subway or medium size tile for wall around tub would be ver eat. I just looked at a couple samples a few days go at the tile shop and Home Depot . Blue gray is a favorite of mine. I too love to change out colors with accessories and towels. Yes the linen towel closet is. Good idea.
  • OldGrayMare
    9 years ago
    the true renovators may get the vapors by me saying this, but have you considered having that tile "painted"? "Painted" may not be the correct word..."glazed"?....whatever...it was great! We had this done in two bathrooms in my sons condo in Hawaii, and in one of bathrooms in our old house in Virginia. Our bathroom was approximately the same size as yours here...total cost for walls, shower and tub was right under $1,000. we went from TweetyBird yellow to a lovely soft creamy taupe color, with a white tub, and then we painted the walls in a dark taupe color. It was lovely, affordable, and no issues 7+ years later.
  • User
    9 years ago
    *gasp!*
  • PRO
    nancy34
    9 years ago
    I think a budget from $8,000 to $10,000 should work, not knowing the location of the project. My thinking on design would be to use classic wonderful White Subway tile for
    the new shower, tub. An over head shower along with a hand held for the tub. If the
    vanity is off the floor you can have sensor lighting under the cabinet which is so nice.
    Not knowing what is in back of the existing shower, could be a bedroom, if so, you
    could design a doubt opening, one on each side for extra storage in both rooms.
    Clean design is always recommended, but I see the floor being the turn of the century
    Black and White Mosaic pattern, white fixtures, finish on hardware of your choice, and
    then icy grey walls. Use the grey grout for the subway tile and your maintenance will be
    good. I am not forwarding photo, if you need help - let me know.
    Nancy34
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    You can do this for 15k easily if you do the demo and clean up an hire someone to install new fixtures I am just finishing one reno and came in just under 12K with home owners doing del and painting. Hunt for fixtures at places like Wayfair they have free shipping and choose simple tile with maybe a strip of glass mosaic for bling . I would not waste the money having the tile reglazed even if you wanted to keep the fixtures. Maax tub and showers are very nice and you could go that route and not have to worry about tiling that area at all that would save a lot. Maax has this great installation for refit that requires no silicone between pieces and looks like a one piece unit very easy to clean and looks great. I love mine it is so much easier to keep clean than my old one with tile.
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    I'm gonna second the vote to keep the pink. Some day people will be saying "eeeeewwww" to the ubiquitous (but lovely!) white subway tile. Get retro on that room, and lose the cheap 1980s vanity AND wallpaper. I say paint trim BLACK. If you must lose the way cool shower, consider "European style" open shower with half glass. Pics to follow.
  • Dianna Dunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well I thought about that option. Haven't called anyone. I was under the impression that the tub will only last up to 4 years and then it can't be redone. But I will look up a contractor and get the real low down. I live in the twin cities of Minnesota,
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    houzz.com
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Check out the Houzz story "homeowners give the pink sink some love". It has a great take on the idea of going retro, and it's growing popularity. Next one is a good pic, like the glam wall. Maybe grey w mint medallions?
  • gatoryak
    9 years ago
    I have a long and narrow, pink-tiled (walls and floor) bathroom, too. I chose to embrace the pink. Using a conch-shell for color inspiration, I painted the non-tiled wall a beach-sand taupe. Looks great. Cabinet and mirror were reclaimed from a junk pile and painted to look like they had been on a beach for many years. Lighting fixtures were the key, don't skimp on this; your bathroom lights are ugly. You have a disadvantage of having the green bullnose tile, bath, and soap dish; the tile and soap dish would be easy to remove and replace yourself. CAUTION: do not convert the existing bathroom into a shower unless you remove the window, sill, and framing and install a system that was made for shower duty. Don't forget to add a proper exhaust fan.
  • Dianna Dunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nancy: Behind the wall by tub fixtures is a bedroom closet. The other inside wall is the kitchen.

I do have a linen closet just outside the bathroom. It's like a little nook. Archway from hallway the the little nook with a linen closet.

I live in Minnesota .

A lot of the tile has been separating or touched up incorrectly from previous owner and the shower is in worst shape. I do have a 3/4 bath in lower level .
  • Dianna Dunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Patricia....I have used wayfair a few times. I wonder how much energy it is to bust up the tile! The floor is horrible.
  • gatoryak
    9 years ago
    It's not difficult to remove tile, but it is dirty and takes some patience. Put a trash bin outside the window and throw all the old stuff in it. Be careful no to track tile/grout dust through your house; it will scratch your other floors.
  • Dianna Dunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I appreciate all the comments. All have been very helpful. I'll make some phone calls and see what I can do with this inherited bathroom. If I had a white tub and no mint green on bullnose plus the disgusting dark green tile it would be easier to embrace the pink. But we will see. I'll keep working on the solution but any new input is helpful. Thanks
  • PRO
    Sightlines
    9 years ago
    I painted a white porcelain tub myself using an epoxy product. It was kind of a pain in the neck but actually easier than I thought. I got a pretty good result. I can't vouch for how long it lasted because I no longer own the house but it seemed fine for some months--and I figured hey, I could always touch it up or repaint. (You can do both, I don't know why you were told it could not be redone.)
  • PRO
    The 3D Genie
    9 years ago
    Hi 'design4', when you think you have narrowed down your choices, you can upload your bathroom photo along with your product selections and see how everything will look together. Why guess and hope? The3DGenie.com Good Luck!
  • Neryl Hollingsworth
    9 years ago
    A bit off-topic but does anyone else think Pepto Bismol is really fun to say out loud? :0)
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    Maybe the words but not the colour. The tiles are easty to remove you go rent a machine that takes them all out in hours don't expect to save anything so just gut to the 2x4's and start over upgrade plumbing and electrical while you are at it,
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    Go big or go retro. No cheap cover-ups. Make it cool as is until you can afford the bathroom of your dreams. This bathroom could be a great "conversation piece" if you spruce it up in keeping with the style, having some fun with it, then you have time to plot and plan the perfect renovation :)
  • Dianna Dunn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This project got started and then on the back burner because some health issues. Now I've moved forward.

I'm having some challenges of what flooring & wall paint choices. Maybe second guessing myself but since I'm a novice at this and it's a final decision I could use some good input.

The bathtub tile is white subway (4x8). Thinking maybe whisper gray grout or bright white with 1/16 grout line.

Below is where the project is...
    * First photo is new layout.
    * Second vanity
    The faucet and shower head are Delta Ashlyn ( I didn't like their towel bar choice) My towel bar choice is Delta Ara Chrome, since it's pretty close to original.
    *. Floor Tile: I'm Questioning my modern choice ( this is a mock up layout) Since it's a 1950's house should get a vintage hexagon tile or stick with the modern choice I made or something totally different.

*. Wall paint. My gut says a very light warm gray and add color in towels, shower curtain etc.

• Dianna Dunn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Floor option and we now have the glass block window installed
  • shwshw
    6 years ago

So glad you came back to update us. Love what you have done so far!

• Dianna Dunn
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. I'm hoping the floor won't distract from the marble floor.