Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_firestone

Need help! Living/dining combo. Need rug ideas and curtain ideas!!

Jennifer Firestone
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
So, we just moved into a larger house. The rug in the current picture is a 5x7, and clearly we need a bigger one.

I am having the hardest time deciding on what colors I want to incorporate with pillows, rugs, curtians etc... My original thoughts were to keep everything in the cool earth tones and cool neutrals. Now I am having second thoughts. I am thinking the room needs a warmer color, like a rust.

I need to purchase a large area rug, but do not like geometric or the classic traditional rugs. Some traditional rugs are "some what" okay, but I feel like they aren't my style and don't necessarily match my living room.

After I purchase a rug I will need to purchase curtains as well. I figure buying a rug first would be my best option, the. I could decide on curtains to complement the colors of the room and the rug.

I need any suggestions, ideas, and advice! I'm am at a "creative block" and don't know what to do. I have researched rugs for 6-7 months and I feel like I haven't found one that I like enough to purchase.

Also the the left is my dining area. This is a dining/living room combo. The spaces are divided by a single column. Any suggestions about buying a rug for the dining room to compliment the living room would be appreciated. Both spaces are in "the line of site" or in other words you will notice both rugs no matter where you are standing.

I will post more pictures of dining/living area soon.

If you are staring at the wall where the cough is, directly behind you is the large open door/opening to the kitchen. I have placed Navy blue curtains in the kitchen area, as seen below.

The floor plan is an open concept basically in the shape of an "L." The kitchen flows to the living room and the living room is open to the dining. Another question is, do I keep all three rooms the same color concept?

Comments (15)

• Jennifer Firestone
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes! I love the chandelier idea. I want the sectional to be completely on the rug. I measured and it seems I will need a 9x12 rug. I have a 9 month old so I definitely need the extra carpet space. We have no carpet in the house and the rug was from our older and very much smaller house. I am posting pictures of the dining room and kichen as well to help give an idea of colors and space.
  • acm
    9 years ago
    You need to find one thing to build around -- either a piece of art with color, or a rug with color -- and then pull accents from that for cushions and other items to give the look coherence. Here, it looks like you'd like to add some turquiose, so that wouldn't be a bat place to start. Colors looking abit odd on my monitor -- gold paint and pinkish couch, but it might be ligthing? not sure.

Current art is all too high. Hard to give more advice from this one pic.
  • Jennifer Firestone
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh goodness that is definitely not the correct colors you are seeing. I have a grey couch and walls are beige/gold. More beige than gold. I am not crazy about the wall colors, but we have decided not to paint. I am in the process of posting more as we speak!
  • toomanywhitewalls
    9 years ago
    Is that the PB Pearce couch? I am actually thinking of taking the plunge on it today while it is on sale. In the picture the couch looks taupe.
  • jenny
    9 years ago
    you have a lot of warm tones in that room to the point where it's a bit overwhelming. get a nice cool toned rug, it doesn't have to go under the furnature if you don't want it to. you don't want to have that 'padded room' feel.
  • PRO
    Paris Flea Interiors
    9 years ago
    Consider changing your artwork to something with color and a bigger piece. Make it your statement piece. Allow the artwork to be your inspiration piece that helps you select your decorative pillows for your sofa and rug.
  • Jennifer Firestone
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok, some of these photos are a tad old and were take when we first moved in, but these will just give you an idea about the space. Disregard items that seem to be placed in an odd area. again we had just moved in when I took these pictures below.

Picture # 1 is standing in the foyer/at the front door looking toward the living room.
    Picture #2 is standing in the dining area looking toward the living room.
    Picture #3 is standing in the in the living room looking toward the dining area.
    Picture #4 is standing in the kitchen area looking toward the living room. (note this not the most current picture. The picture of the living room on the original post is current).
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Are you sure you don't want to paint? That would open up so many color possibilities and the goldish wall color isn't good with your nice furniture.
  • Jennifer Firestone
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Picture #1 Not a great picture, but this is seating area at out back door by the kitchen but here is the navy blue curtains.

Picture #2 I purchased this PB dining table in November for our dining room. I am waiting for it to arrive it is on back order. Should be here in Feb.

Picture #3 This is from the living room looking into the kitchen. Just to give an idea of the space (this picture is old.)

Picture #4 This is the dining area. Just to give you an idea of the space (We hadn't moved in yet)
  • Jennifer Firestone
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Unfortunately, painting is out of the question. The walls are not as gold as the pictures make it out to be. However, I do agree with you about the wall color. :( We will just have to work with the wall color for now.
  • Jennifer Firestone
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And I should correct that couch is more of a pewter color not grey. It is from Haverty's. Its the Piedmont sectional in the color Mineral.
  • tarekkaterji
    9 years ago
    I believe burgundy color will work for the carpet with accent similar to wall color and the same(stripe fabric for the curtain).also pillows will follow the same theme.
  • Kathi Izatt
    9 years ago
    Comparing "just moving in" to "current look" shows you've already made improvements. You're headed the right direction with a few tweaks. The chair and coffee table both needed new locations -- good choice on that! While I agree that huge rugs that all portions of furniture can rest upon is a fabulous thing, a smaller piece that only allows front furniture feet to sit on, but reaches no further than the ends of the "U" of your furniture is still fine if you happen to fall in love with one. Head out to your favorite spot to look for either rug OR art. Whichever you fall in love with first can be your decision-maker for the remainder. Rugs can be custom-cut to fit your space without a lot of expense. You can have a local artist render a piece exactly to your specifications. True -- your current shelving and art are too high and the picture should be larger. (Think about scooting them to the opposite wall!) In fact, I'd try to find art that is about 2/3 the length of the sofa over which it will hang. The photos speak contemporary to me. Go bold!
  • PRO
    Furnishr
    7 years ago

Fantastic living room. I do rather recommend removing the rug to a mono-colored to make it look vibrant and outstanding.