Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lissyanna21

What kind of pine is this (and how to make it less yellow)?

lissyanna21
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I am in the process of purchasing a home built in the 30s. The original oak in the living/dining is in great condition and there is some species of pine(?) in the kitchen (you can tell a couple boards have been replaced). Can anyone tell me what species of pine this may be, and if there is any chance of making it less yellow/honey-toned? And I'll take paint recommendations for the walls if you know the possible range of colors the floor could end up (I'd love them to be dark, but I've heard pine doesn't take stain well/consistently). My goal for the oak is to sand and finish it a natural matte instead of the honey/gold finish it has now (again, if possible - my experience with wood floors has been limited to maple in new construction - but is sounds like the hardwood will be more versatile than the softwood).

I'm trying to stick with more of a gray-based palette throughout the house, so I'd like this to not be the only yellow room :) I'm replacing the appliances with stainless when I move in, but can't really do anything to the counters (bluish-gray laminate), cabinets (I think the original wood [poorly] painted) or backsplash (sadly none) for a year or 2 (although I'm going to try and sand/prime/repaint the cabinets, possibly switch out the hardware and add a pendant light over the sink).

Comments (3)