Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joon7th

Newly Painted Kitchen Cabinets - Chalk Paint

Heather M
9 years ago
Painted very old cabinets in Old Ochre Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Finished with polycrilic. Also painted hinges and replaced hardware. So happy with the results! Much brighter and the room looks bigger. Next step will be a brick backsplash.

Comments (24)

• sarita64
    9 years ago
    I am considering doing this myself. I have a 70's kitchen with good bones. was easy to do. How much paint did you end up using?
    thank you!
  • sarita64
    9 years ago
    excuse..was it easy to do?
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago

So nice! I have heard good things about chalk paint, and I am guessing you agree.

Heather M thanked abbyjean
  • tooky58
    9 years ago

What a lovely kitchen.

Heather M thanked tooky58
  • Jennifer Abbott
    9 years ago

It really looks a lot bigger! Looks great!

Heather M thanked Jennifer Abbott
  • susanbarnhardt
    9 years ago

We are in the process of purchasing a home with Oak Cabinets and I am considering having them painted with Annie Sloan chalk paint. Yours look great!

Heather M thanked susanbarnhardt
  • mzloolue
    9 years ago

Is that old white?

• Heather M
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's Old Ochre. Considered Old White but wanted something softer, creamier. Used 3 quarts of the paint--but I did 3 coats. I probably could have gotten away with 2 coats, but the third made it feel more finished. It was time consuming, but way faster and easier than latex would have been. I captured a lot of the process for posterity in another thread under the "Advice" section. I'll see if I can find the link.

Since this posting, we found a really nice butcher block to put in the middle of the kitchen, which really makes it super functional and adds some nice contrast with the natural wood. Still working up to the backsplash, but can't wait to get it in!

• Donna Seaman Richman
    9 years ago
    Very nice redo. I love chalk paint it is so easy to work with. I do find the designer paints ie Annie Sloan to be a bit pricy and limited in colors so I usually make my own. Works just as well and more choices for colors.
    Heather M thanked Donna Seaman Richman
  • prachil
    9 years ago

Donna, how do you make your own chalk paint?

• Donna Seaman Richman
    8 years ago

Prachil, it's easy. Any latex paint mix 1/2 cup plaster of Paris to 1/2 cup water. Mix until smooth then add three cups of paint and mix well.

• PRO
    Orderly Drawer
    8 years ago

Please post pictures of the back splash once you have it up!

• PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc
    8 years ago

It looks very nice. Great job!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    8 years ago

Great job!

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

What a change!

• C de Lorimier
    8 years ago

Heather, can you tell me how the hinges have held up after painting them please? I'm considering this because hardware is expensive. I'd like to do this in a bathroom, which will have moisture exposure, of course.

• Heather M
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry for the delay. Hinges have held up just fine as have the cabinets.

• Patricia Torney
    8 years ago
    Kitchen cabinets look awesome! I would not do a brick backsplash. There are so many beautiful tiles to choose from.
  • PRO
    Fratantoni Interior Designers
    8 years ago

Looks Great!!

• Danielle Drouin Palmer
    8 years ago

Lovely!

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    8 years ago

Chalk paint looks great !

• and3311
    8 years ago

Real nice indeed , what is the color called?