Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hp213119

Help! Redoing my 90s kitchen!

Heather
9 years ago
We are wanting to update our kitchen, I would love to do the cabinetry in a linen white, with a dark stained island. My husband thinks because we have so much wood exposed on the breakfast bar area, it will end up being way too much white. Our kitchen is an open layout into our living room. I'm in a design dilemma, and cant figure out what to do with these cabinets! We have so much dark wood furniture (tv tables, sofa tables, end tables, etc... ) in our home I wanted to break it up a little bit, but now I'm not sure that's an option.

Comments (16)

• mmilos
    9 years ago
    Unless you plan to also replace your countertops with something darker for contrast, I agree that it may be too much white.
  • Heather
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    [houzz=
    The Great Spaces! Kitchen · More Info
    ]
  • Heather
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is my inspiration kitchen for the darker island and counter top color
  • mmilos
    9 years ago
    Do you normally have barstools where your counter bar is now? That will help break up all the white monolith of cabinets across the front.
  • Heather
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, we will be replacing them for a stool that is counter height, ours are a little short, so depending on the kitchen color Ill get three for across that bar area. Either a light cream if we went dark, or darker if we go white.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    All white would be a wonderful contrast to your wood floors. It isn't going to be "too much white" since it's already too much wood.
  • mmilos
    9 years ago
    Extending the hardwood into your living area would also help.
  • Heather
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We plan to do hardwood throughout the whole home eventually!
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    I agree the white would be overwhelming.

Are you planning on painting your cabinets yourself? If so, be sure and buy a paint sprayer so they don't have brush marks. And you'll need special paint for cabinets as well--ask about it. And you'll want to take all the doors off and do them in the garage so you can get an even coat or coats on them. Spraying the boxes is going to be tough if you aren't familiar with working the sprayer so you should be sure and move your fridge out of the way, tape everything off and use lots of drop clothes to protect everything else. And don't forget to clean everything really good and sand it so the paint will adhere. You might want to check out videos on youtube on painting your cabinets as it's not as easy as the home renovation shows make it appear to be. If you aren't comfortable with all that, hire it done.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    you could always leave the back of the cabinets where the stops would be in wood. paint the rest in white. it is WAY too much wood
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    If you go with changing your kitchen cabinet color I would definitely hire it done. You have a very large kitchen and it is pretty as it is. Two sinks too. Think of adding bead board to the outside surface of the bar and peninsula area as a beginning, maybe with some more ornate corbels. Paint the bead board off-white. Add some new correct height barstools in a bright color and hang two pendants as in your inspiration kitchen. You could also add one pendant the same only lower over your peninsula with the auxiliary sink. Start there. It will make a huge difference. Think a lot before redoing the whole kitchen. Small changes can make it how you want it to look.
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    9 years ago
    You have a great space to start with, so you are ahead of the game. If you like the clean fresh look of light cabinets, but are afraid that it would appear too stark, think about doing two-toned kitchen cabinets, That way, you will have the best of both worlds! Good luck to you on your project!
  • Terri Clark
    9 years ago
    You could do a bench like this, adding a bright colorful fabric to break up the big white expanse. Plus with the larger bench, you are looking at a larger expanse of color and pattern than just a barstool.
    [houzz=
    Leslie Hayes Interiors · More Info
    ]
  • Heather
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much for all your comments! I love my kitchen and how spacious it is, but I agree, its WAY too much wood! If only I could remove the bar over to the second prep sink it would solve my design issues, but the cabinets are so solid and well made, I'd be wasting much needed and loved kitchen space. I'll get some bead board and do a mock up on the outside to see how it looks, then maybe that will help steer me in a better direction... Or lets hope!
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    A simple solution is to do like sandadclark suggested, and cover the back of the bar and other cabinet that is seen from the living room with beadboard that is painted white. That would be incredibly easy to do, and radically change the look of the room, along with toning down the wood. You could paint it any color you liked! Sounds fun...