Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megan_laupozosvillarreal

Ming dynasty style dining set: tacky or design genius??!!

Designers and friends, please help! I found a dining set on craigslist that I love- it's a Ming dynasty hand carved table and chairs with bird and dragon firms. It looks to be dark cherry wood and the man selling it claims it is over 100 years old. The chairs all need new foam and fabric and everything needs to be thoroughly ckeaned and polished. I'm up for the project but wondering if this style set is tacky? I can't find much info online about its popularity and don't want to invest time and money in something that ultimately cheapens the look of our gorgeous dining room. Home is traditional-but we are a too g family and wanted formal living and dining rooms to be a bit more eckectic. I'm going to change out the chandelier for a more traditional version and re wallpaper the walls likely in a geometric or nature inspired print in navy. Please weigh in!!?? Yay or nay on the set? Any other ideas? All told w the reupholstery and maintenance of the set included I'm going to be spending around $650-700 so it seems like a good deal but I don't want to fill my dream home with tacky stuff!! Hubs is on the fence too. . . Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Pro Skill Construction
    9 years ago
    We like it. Life is too short to be boring! You've got the idea - eclectic is key. You don't want contrasting, or matching - you want complimentary. From every picture this table looks perfectly at home in your space. We can't see the birds or the dragons - but imagine they would be a great conversation piece during a dinner party.
    If we have to pick something we're not crazy about it's the corner details on the legs of the chairs. But if it's truly an antique set, obviously you don't want to mess with it. We LOVE the backs of the chairs.
    One final recommendation - get rid of the little rug ;) Maybe two - simplify the centerpiece.
    Great find!!
  • Megan Lau Pozos Villarreal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks proskill! The photos of the table are from craigslist. My dining room is the. Empty one in the last photo
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Instead of worrying if it's tacky and others will disike it, focus on whether you and your family like it. If you like ornate formal furniture, it should work well in a formal dining room.
  • PRO
    Pro Skill Construction
    9 years ago
    oooooh! That makes more sense Megan! ;) It should go well then! A nice chandelier, maybe an antique mirror sideboard, great fabrics for seats & maybe a windows... Beautiful space!
  • User
    9 years ago
    I find when I truly love something I do not have the need to ask what other's think. When I think I love it, then I ask.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Did you sit in the chairs, pulled up to the table? If your thighs hit the decorative fretwork, the table will not get used much. In my area, this style tables are showpieces rarely used, the newer and shinier, the better. These do not look very old, but hard to tell from the Craigslist photos. $700 seems low for all new boxed cushions with piping, but you may have a firm estimate already.

All that being said, I think this set looks fabulous.
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I appreciate the style (though my personal preference is for geometric details). Pay attention to the joinery--is it holding well? The re-upholstery cost seems (very) low, but this varies depending on where you are and what fabrics are being used.

Classic Chinese pieces mix very well with modern and traditional design. I see no reason why this table would not be a good move. However, your caution suggests that your design sense may be more out of the box than seen generally in your social circle. Leading a change is not always comfortable: consider whether you are more comfortable following convention or creating your own successes.

A very few Asian themed items (perhaps a painting of cranes over an English buffet, porcelain garden stool (drum type), bronze horse, etc.) placed strategically can "place" the table without overwhelming with a Chinese theme. Mix with a traditional non-Asian tableware, compatible art, etc. Enjoy!
    ---
    Adding some second thoughts, bearing in mind that this table seems a more modern adaptation. For those who may be seeking a more authentic antique Chinese piece should be cautious. There is a huge industry in creating reproductions--sometimes of a quality that is wonderful and there is nothing wrong with a good reproduction so long as you know what you are getting.

True antique pieces are rare--and extremely expensive. Ming furniture is from the mid-1300s to mid-1600s. Qing runs from after the mid-1600s to the 20th century. There is a vast difference in technique and quality, and condition, over such a long history. Don't be fooled by a simple naming of the dynasty.

The claim of legitimacy for some antiques comes from rebuilding a piece, or creating a new one, with parts rescued from several antique pieces that have been partially damaged. A certain percentage of new wood disqualifies a piece from the antique classification. Interiors are commonly rebuilt.

In short, you really have to know what you are doing. I am knowledgeable to an extent but no expert. I do know that if I could afford it, I would choose a Huanghuali low table that my first Hong Kong landlord had...500 years old, entirely "of a piece" and when sunlight hit the table, it glowed like honey in summer. Mmmmm.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    I would go for it. It is lovely and very unusual. When you do the chairs pads, go for a bold or fun color. A modern chandelier and a modern, colorful sideboard would bring this into the 21 century. The key is not to make a trip to the past but to combine things that are not match-matchy and to use interesting shapes. I would bring the wood into the dining room. the carpet looks not so good.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I am a total fan of Chinese and Japanese design (as much of a paradox as that may be). I hope the seller specified that it is a ming-dynasty STYLE as Ming dynasty ended in the mid 17th century. Also it is a more ornate version than typical Ming dynasty style.If you find it is not the quality that you hoped for (but still think it is a good deal) , my inclination would be to have the whole thing lacquered in oxblood red (as per Barnhart's last photo) or in yellow or peacock for a twist of old and new.
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- It's beautiful but if the 60's - 70's was a hundred years ago , then I guess it's 100 years old then . Anyway , it is probably Rosewood and I think it's a keeper and doesn't look tacky at all . If you put a modern fabric on the seats and only continue with carefully chosen Asian theme items , then it won't get tacky looking . Like maybe a big Asian style bowl with white Orchids and moss for a center piece etc. That's where people make mistakes is by going to much with a theme . Just because an item is a particular style , you need not continue with a lot more of the same . For a sideboard/buffet cabinet , you could have an Art Deco one that would be fine with the dining set as an example . Perhaps go with a modern wallpaper . Or a new modern paint color . You can make the dining room more fun and still be formal .
  • marilynellis
    9 years ago
    I'm sorry, but although I love Asian design I smell a rat. Something tells me there are things wrong with this set that you don't know about It's not 100 years old and not Ming. So what else are they lying about?
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @barnhartgallery- I meant "young" family, not too g! Typing while feeding my baby leads to lots of typos!
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @marilynellis- I think you are right! The guy showed the table taken apart because he was "fixing" it but I am worried Its too short for the chairs or un functional. I need to see it again all assembled to see if it's actually a good deal!
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @apple-pie-order, such a great point. I totally need to sit at the table! Did not do it first time!!!
  • User
    9 years ago
    What was he "fixing"?
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @john-James, I'm planning to redo the seats myself. I have more time than $$$!
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would make the decision based on the construction/comfort of the furniture and if you love it. Just an fyi: The definition of Ming dysnasty period pieces is furniture that is simple, rustic in design, projecting an image of sturdiness and simple elegance. The Qing Dynasty period is more complex and varied with intricate and luxurious embellishments, projecting an image of delicacy combined with sophistication. Perhaps a professional could comment on which this set is...if you are interested moving forward when you reference. I think it could be lovely, but if you don't have other oriental elements in your home, you may have to incorporate a few in adjoining rooms or add modern pieces in the dining room so as not to go too far in one direction and keeping it feeling fresh.
    [houzz=
    treasures from Thailand · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Dining Room · More Info
    ]
  • marilynellis
    9 years ago
    Walk away from this right now.
  • Terri Clark
    9 years ago
    What are the chairs stuffed with? Has the original upholstery been redone? If he said no, and it is stuffed with foam, uhhhh.... problem. Also, what is the hardware that the table was built with? Philips head screws? Nails? Tongue and groove? See how old that hardware is for a better idea of age.