Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarinha3

How can we have a modern living room without a modern couch?

sarinha3
9 years ago
We were aiming for a grey and white colour scheme for our open concept main floor, but we didn't want it to be sterile so we bought these couches, liking the hint of brown they had without completely getting rid of the grey. We also likes how different the couches were. However, we wanted a modern, different look with rustic pieces. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to do this. We also liked the idea of industrial pendant lights over the island, but now I don't feel like any of it will go with the couches.

If anyone could give me suggestions it would be appreciated. At this point I am not sure whether we should just return the couches, unless someone can throw some inspiration our way.

I included pictures of the couches along with the picture they have up on the furniture website (the bottom cushions are reversible which is why they are different in the pictures). I also included small samples of the greyish oak hardwood that the couches will be on, The picture with the hardwood includes the grey ceramic that will be in the kitchen along with the white for the cabinets, the brown for the island and the counter top.

Please help! :)

Comments (10)

• sootsprite
    9 years ago
    The piece (another sofa or chair?) that we barely on the bottom right corner of the first picture looks more like something you could work into your scheme. Bring a little softness or color in with accessories like pillows, throws, rug, lamps, etc.
  • sarinha3
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The sofa in the bottom corner is the same style but in a different pattern and colour. So are you suggesting we return the couches?
  • Emmy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    ^Agree. I think you could work with the fabric, maybe, but the lines on the couch don't seem very modern, or rustic.

Look for something with more straight lines. The arms on that sofa are all wrong.

Large Floral Modern Rustic Kilim Dhurry Upholstered Sofa · More Info

Pre-owned Reupholstered Peacock Print Sofa · More Info

Mini Ava 40" Sofa · More Info

Kartell Pop Missoni Sofa · More Info
  • sootsprite
    9 years ago
    Yes, I agree with Avery, return the sofas. If you want a modern, rustic, industrial feel, get your main pieces in that style. Use your accessories to bring in a touch of other styles, colors, textures.
  • Emmy
    9 years ago
    If you DO end up working with the couch...I'd paint the walls the same gray as the couch. Or at least the wall that the couch will be on, and then the rest a sharp white. A collection of artwork that all goes with the colors in the sofa. And I LOVE this wood coffee table.

The Donovan in Griesbach-Edmonton · More Info

By the bay · More Info

Eclectic Living Room · More Info
  • marilynellis
    9 years ago
    Nothing modern in these sofas. Bordering on Victorian. Sorry! I think no matter how you try to make them work you will never be happy
  • n247080
    9 years ago
    I would return the sofas. They're certainly unique, but they won't stand the test of time. You'll get bored with that print very quickly and it will be hard to find things to go with them. You've already discovered that.

I would recommend going with pieces that are comfortable to sit on and have a shape that inspires you and a solid or overall print / weave that is less complicated. Think in terms of keeping the pieces long term and allowing you to change your taste around the furniture vs having to replace them. Sofas area big investment and should last for many years.

Make the room feel more modern with the extras you will add. Coffee table, lighting, end tables, art, pillows, etc. The extras are easier to change as your tastes change, and less expensive to replace.
  • OldGrayMare
    9 years ago
    If you can't return them, list them on Craigslist, and failing that, donate to charity and chalk it up to one of those life lessons we all get slammed with. these are going to be SO hard to work with, and they really are almost Victorian in feel. Definitely not "modern" by any stretch.
  • Lana Hoffman
    9 years ago

theres nothing wrong with the sofas ditch the gray pillows and do golden yellow then add more modern end tables and lamps eclectic is in