Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wisepoolandspa

Glowing Swimming Pool Tile - Let it Glo or No Glo?

Would you incorporate GloGlas into your pool project? GloGlas glass pool tiles by Illumaseal Architectural Products can let your swimming pool glow for a LIFETIME! Uses could include spot tile on the pool floor, waterline tile, step/bench trim tile, etc. What are your thoughts and questions? illumaseal.com
Let it Glo!
No Glo!

Comments (16)

• Desiree Schambach
    9 years ago
    I would definitely let it glow. I think it would look great at night time especially if it lasts a lifetime. And if you don't want to see the glow, just cover your pool with a pool cover.
    Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc. thanked Desiree Schambach
  • PRO
    Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc.
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Good idea about if you do not want to see the glow. An automatic cover would fit that purpose well and provide other advantages such as reducing evaporation and heat loss (much easier to use than a traditional solar blanket/cover), keeping debris out the pool, another layer of safety, etc. Also, a reduction in money spent for pool lighting costs compared to traditional lights. Thank you for your comment dschambach!
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The thought for this product is to be greener lighting for swimming pools/hot tubs while also incorporating safety and fun ambiance.

For bulb replacement, incandescent pool light bulbs last typically 2,000 hours, fiber optic 3-7 years, LED 50,000 hours, but the glow tiles last a lifetime. In our primary research of this product, you could purchase quantity 50 6" round tiles with lifetime lighting for pool floor and no future energy costs, or a 6' marlin mosaic tile for the pool floor, or 1 LED color changing pool light, for roughly the same amount. So, it does really depend on what aspects/features/budget you are looking to satisfy.

As for this product being able to glow and mark the ends of steps and benches, this could prove extremely useful in nighttime safety in the pool.

And, ambiance - a glowing pool is sure to put a smile on anyone's face, amaze guests, and create a cool background to any backyard gathering.

Thank you Margo for your thoughts!
  • Desiree Schambach
    9 years ago
    I wish I had a pool right now to steal this idea. Does it have to be installed at the time a pool is built or can it also be added to an existing pool? I'd love to have this in a pool when the suns going down. Wouldn't be too bright - just perfect. I hate swimming in dark pools after dark!
    Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc. thanked Desiree Schambach
  • PRO
    Arbordale Landscaping
    9 years ago
    I'd love to see it installed before making an informed decision, but off the bat I would say no? Does it look cheesy? What does it look like during the day?
    Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc. thanked Arbordale Landscaping
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    dschambach - Thank you for continuing the conversation on this product! Just as any other tile, the product can be installed at time of new pool installation, or if you are resurfacing and/or re-tiling your existing swimming pool.

Arbordale Landscaping - Thank you for your questions! The product does not look "cheesy". When not glowing, it looks clear/frosted. Depending on your use, you can also request ani-slip or etched surfacing. This technology can also be used in pavers, counter tops, backsplash, signage, etc. Take a look at the pavers below! If you would like to learn more about this product while working with your local professional, or to request a sample, I would highly recommend contacting Mitchell with Illumaseal at 817-239-1593. He is extremely knowledgeable and recommends taking a sample to your site to see how the product reacts in the environment you intend to use it in.
  • PRO
    Arbordale Landscaping
    9 years ago
    That's neat! Apologies about the 'cheesy' comment, didn't mean to offend. Does it work off battery or solar?
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LOL! No offense taken! It's great to hear everyone's thoughts and questions on this product. They are completely solar and can charge tiles at the bottom of an 8' deep pool (I specifically asked this question). They can even charge on a cloudy day (but, obviously, more/stronger charge on a sunny day). So you/clients can have lighting FOREVER without paying electric installation charges or an electric bill to use it. The darker the surrounding area, the more pronounced the glow will be. If you live in the backwoods, you will experience a more pronounced glow as compared to if you have a street light right next to your pool/backyard. Also, depending on your use, the product can come in blue or blue green. We just received our samples today.....totally awesome glow! I can't wait to hear others' thoughts and questions!
  • PRO
    Arbordale Landscaping
    9 years ago
    What if some of the tile gets more sun than other spots? Is the glow consistent?
  • PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We have not yet had the chance to install this product. I wanted to see, with this poll, how others would receive it, and what questions they may have. The sample we received today - took it out the box (USPS from TX on 1/30/15), sat it outside in direct sunlight for 5-7 minutes, took it in an office with no windows, shut the lights off and it glowed. It now has been sitting in our design center, not in direct sunlight, for about an hour. Just now took it back to the office, shut the lights off and it's still glowing!

I'm sure that if something is directly in path of the sun to the product, it could have a slight effect on the glow (like an umbrella stopping direct sunlight, but you can still read a book under an umbrella, so this would be a chance for charge), but with the way the sun rotates throughout the day, it seems there would be ample time for all tiles incorporated in a project to charge before nightfall, allowing for a consistent glow. The sample in our office, is seeming to even charge off artificial light (something like the technology in my son's glow in the dark decal t-shirt, but more advanced!). Illumaseal says the product can even charge on a cloudy day, but would work more strongly on a sunny one.

I would request two sample tiles, and set one in direct sunlight, and the other in a shadier area, then compare the two at nightfall! Good question Arbordale!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I think it's an awesome energy saver and I think it would look awesome beneath the water. Thanks for the info on this product. I like it. :)
    Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc. thanked zazfuzzroc
  • Emmy
    9 years ago
    I'd like to see the blue installed!
    Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc. thanked Emmy
  • Pool Boys Inc.
    8 years ago

Send us a sample, We could incorporate it in our project and send pictures...

Luxury Home, Resort, and Apartment Complex swimming pool construction

servicing Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana

by: POOL BOYS INC.

www.apartmentswimmingpools.com

• Ava Williams
    8 years ago
    Coolest thing ever
  • Lexlie Garcia
    7 years ago

Where can I get some that is a neat idea I love it.