0

Mugwort

lolly_NY
April 28, 2005

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with mugwort infestations. I have a new yard (25' x 50') that has NOTHING but mugwort growing. It was suggested to me to simply cover it with cardboard and soil - but I can't afford that much dirt! I was thinking of just digging it up by hand in the beds that I want to create and then mowing the rest of it as if it were grass (I'm not anxious to have a grass lawn and was looking for an alternative anyway.) Does anyone have advice or experience? Has anyone tried to till it under - I have heard that this will not work as it propagates from the rhizomes...

• jscanlin

Hi, Lolly,

In my experience, it will come back from small pieces of root, so tilling it under may actually increase it :( Your idea of digging it out by hand in your new beds sounds better - you'll be digging in there anyway.

Don't know about the "lawn" idea - artemisias tend to become a bit woody at the base. One suggestion to get rid of it might be to cover the "lawn" area with heavy black plastic, temporarily, while you're working on the beds - that should kill it back over a month or so. Not pretty, but you could spread a mulch over the tarps. My neighbor tried this to get rid of weeds, and it seemed to do the trick.

Good luck!

Best,
    Jen

love the cardboard myself and instead of topsoil if you mulch in with grass clippings leaves ect. will eventually compost to lovely soil. i am looking to add mugwort to my garden if you have any you'd like to get rid of