Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_sturmer

No room for dishwasher. What sink to use?

Ken Sturmer
11 years ago
My 1974 tract house, has no room ( nor available plumbing ) for a dishwasher. The sink is located midway in a small open kitchen. I am leaning toward an IKEA Domsjo porcelain single sink. Also thought about a stainless one with attached drainboard. The upper cabinets will remain, as I only built them three years ago. There is no space for expansion, other than moving the island out about six inches. I am going with butcher block counters, also from IKEA. Space here is very limited, but someday I may want to sell this home. I would not be expecting a high price ( the area does not warrant expensive re-models ). I simply want it to look nice, to a prospective buyer.

Comments (9)

• monjav (Northern VA)
    11 years ago
    Is there a reason the peninsula cabinets can't be moved over the few inches needed to fit a DW? If you made the upper cabinets, can you modify the sink base cabinet and then play with the space to either fit in a full size (24") DW or even a smaller apartment size one? I think they are aound 18". it seems a shame not to add the DW, especially since you'll be adding a new countertop.
  • PRO
    Stoneshop
    11 years ago
    Currently, stainless sinks are what prospective buyers are looking for in their kitchen. In our area, most rental apartments even have stainless steel sinks. Since you are renovating, I would definately go with a single stainless steel sink. You can purchase a 16-gauge stainless steel sink fairly inexpensively--we sell one for about $200.00. I would look into a D-bowl sink that is about 9" deep. Large enough to accommodate your big roasters and pans, and deep enough that you don't have to see the mess from a seated position :) The attached drainboard is most likely unnecessary, and I would not waste your money on it. You can purchase drying towels for $5, and the future buyer may choose to put in a dishwasher so a drainboard would not be required.
  • Ken Sturmer
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    There is only a few inches that the island can be moved. Any further would put the cabinets in the center of the main walk thru. Legally a dishwasher cannot be installed without clearance on both sides. Even with a slim one, there is not enough room. Other than putting it in the peninsula, and then there would be plumbing problems. This is a slab home. The plumbing is in the concrete block wall. No way to move without damaging the structure.----and yes, I plan to replace the harvest gold tile. :-) I was thinking a one bowl sink, right now large pots do not fit in the double bowl sink. By the way, the peninsula is only sixteen inches deep. The countertop only 18".
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Here is an example with a more elaborate double sinks along with drainage board.

Portland Craftsman Bungalow · More Info
  • Ken Sturmer
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thats nice, but wouldn't fit in my kitchen. Also we have terrible hard water here. A black sink would show calcium deposits. Have the same problem now, with stainless.
  • monjav (Northern VA)
    11 years ago
    Okay - how about the GE Spacemaker® Under-the-Sink Dishwasher? It's a little pricier but thought you might find it as an interesting option. It also comes in white - I saw it on Sears.

As for a sink, I'd go for a single bowl with the drain on the side vs in the center. The side option allows you to do prep on one side and rinse on the other, easier for doing dishes, and provides more usable undercabinet storage. Stainless is nice but if you go too cheap, they have a "tinny" type sound so add some insulation. A recommendation on the sink cabinet - if you don't go too deep on the sink, 8" or so, you could add a pull out for the trash or one of those slide out shelves for easier access to the cleaning products or dish towels. Whatever is kept down there.

Good Luck!
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    How wide is the existing sink?

When you mention Ikea sink - were you considering the inset sink or the Farmhouse style?
  • mfheryford
    11 years ago
    Would it be possible to add just a single dishwasher drawer? You would sacrifice some cupboard but could put it close to the sink. A dishwasher drawer would save space and could be a selling feature later. Also, I agree with the single bowl stainless sink. That is the way to go. And Ikea is a great idea; their butcher block counters are good quality and will update the space. Consider painting the cabinets a neutral color to update the look a bit. I agree with your assessment to move the island out six inches; in a small house six inches can make a big difference in the way you function in that space. Good luck!
  • Ken Sturmer
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The existing sink is 32" but with the IKEA cabinets I picked. I'd have to go with a 24"sink. Right now because the peninsula is only 16 inches deep there is just room for a twelve inch set of drawers next to the sink. However I want to make the peninsula full size and about six inches longer. With a 39"countertop allowing for an overhang for a breakfast bar. I was just using the picture so you could see the size of the kitchen. Honestly there is no way a dishwasher could fit. No house around here has one. There also is no electric circuit for one. I'd have to put in a new electric panel. Simply not worth the added expense. The sink I was thinking of was a farmhouse style sink. It goes with my particular taste. This kitchen will have the same doors as you see on the upper cabinets. Farmhouse style. Or I could keep things about the same as they are, only widening the peninsula. The space between cabinets is exactly 50 inches. That would probably accomodate a DW, provided I could get the proper plumbing and electric circuit installed. I'm honestly not sure if the circuit panel has room for any extra circuits. You cannot tap into an existing kitchen circuit. It must be dedicated.