Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_nelson

New flooring due to flood- pros and cons wood vs. laminate

Suzanne Nelson
11 years ago
We had to make an insurance claim due to a flooded bathroom. The vinyl in the bathrooms and all of the engineered wood will be replaced. I'm finding it difficult to decide on what to replace it with. I'm leaning toward wood again, but I keep hearing about higher end laminate and how it could be a better fit for our family- we have five children and two large dogs. Any thoughts on wood vs. engineered wood vs. high end laminate? I would love something durable but don't want something weird and plastic looking. Is high end laminate a real thing or is it all the same basic idea?

The areas where the wood is being replaced are the hallways, our living room, dining room and an adjoining family room- all open to each other.

The second part of the question is should I add the kitchen floor to the project on our own dime? Right now it's tile, 12 x 12, slippery when wet, the grout makes me crazy... I can't stand it basically. But, is it wise to put wood in a kitchen? I see it done a lot on here and love the look, but have to wonder if big families with big dogs live in those lovely homes. :)

I'm happy to attach an image of the floor plan if that would be helpful. Thanks for any input and opinions and real life experiences. :)

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I would steer away from laminate since these are the main living spaces of the home. I would personally go to a hardwood - site finished unless your home is on a concrete slab. If you are on a slab, then I would go back with an engineered floor, but make sure it is one that can be refinished several times in its life. I would absolutely go with hardwood in the kitchen. Much less work to keep up and it provides a warmth that tile cannot. I can't remember the last time we installed tile in a kitchen - and while our clients are wonderful folks, they don't live in glass homes. They use their spaces just like all of the rest of us.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    good laminates are real wood. They are more stable so you won't have a warping problem. The finishes are more durable than you can get with unfinished hardwood. They are less expensive also. If money isn't a problem real hard wood is good too.
  • jennlehr
    7 years ago

can someome suggest a good quality laminate? i too have the same dilema. not looking for rustic hand scraped. looking for clear maple look

• Meagan Mitchell
    4 years ago

Hey Suzanne, can you tell me what flooring you went with & how it’s held up? We are in a similar situation. Thank you!