Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dej142

cost to build - Missouri

dej142
9 years ago

Hi - does anyone have experience with cost to build in rural Missouri or even Arkansas or Oklahoma? If so, I'd love your input on cost to build per square foot.

We want to build a 2,700 sf two story farmhouse with unfinished basement and small deck on our property this year. I would estimate the finish level to be middle of the road. We've hired an architect who is working on plans right now, and I've met with but not yet hired a builder. He gave me a rough estimate just based on our project but without plans of $166 sf. I have nothing to compare that to as there are no spec homes for sale anywhere around here, so I thought I'd ask on here.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (14)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Here's one calculator that many have found useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Cost Caluclator

• dej142
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, GreenDesigns. I ran my numbers through that and got $182 sf, so not too far from the builder's rough estimate. I'd still love to hear from anyone who has built in this area.

I have a friend in TX who was surprised how high the estimate was for me (her sister and dad both built larger homes with high-level finish in Texas for much less), but I figure it's very market specific.

• Renee0829
    9 years ago

We're building in rural Missouri just outside Kansas City in Excelsior Springs. Our house is 2880 sf on a slab, 2 story on 7 acres. Our cost is just about $100 a sf.

• LOTO
    9 years ago

I finished our owner/builder home last year at the Lake of the Ozarks and came in around $135.00 a square foot. That was with wood floors, upgraded cabinetry and built ins, geothermal, granite, real stone fireplace in great room, James Hardie on exterior with real stone accent walls, oversize 2 car garage, solid core doors, oversize base/casing and upgraded insulation to name a few. Pretty reasonable to build here. I could have had a contractor build for $135 sf but would not of had all the upgrades

• robin0919
    9 years ago

What Renee said is 'much' more reasonable in that area. $182/sf is insane!!

• dej142
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you LOTO! I agree robin0919. This information is really helpful!

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Cost per sq ft takes into consideration the house area as well as the basement. It also depends on how high end the finished house will be. Our
    1700 sq ft being built in cow paddy USA is about 105.00 per sq ft. that is the basic house, no appliances, before our asked for fireplace, screened in porch and cement patio.

Cow paddy USA equals central Illinois farming community.

• None Ofyourbusiness
    9 years ago

We're at $129.50 in east central Kansas. That will be quarter sawn oak floors and trim in living areas, tile everywhere else. Marble walk in shower with 2 shower heads, soapstone counters and custom cabinets in master. Custom quarter sawn oak cabinets in kitchen with soapstone counters. Exposed beam living room, gas fireplace with stone fireplace. Built in china cabinet and window seat in dining. 90'x30' stained concrete patio on the back with pergola. Anderson windows and doors. To give you an idea of finish.

• dej142
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zorroslw, it's a good time to live in cow paddy USA if you own some of those cows! They are so valuable these days. Thanks for your input.

Didinbaby, it sounds like you'll have a beautiful home at a good price! Thanks for the info on the finish, that does help to give me an idea of finish.

• Renee0829
    9 years ago

We will have engineered wood floors due to building on a slab. Custom kitchen cabinets with level 1 granite in kitchen, master bath and powder room, onyx solid surface counters in 2 guest baths. Tiled entry, sunroom, and laundry room. We're not going over the top but not builder grade either. We'll have Andersen windows too.

• dej142
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Renee!

The $166 sf number I received includes septic, excavation (unless we hit major rock and have to bring in someone with bigger equipment) and everything for completing the house except appliances and window coverings. It does not include architect's fee, land or well. It has a big enough cabinetry allowance to buy custom level for mid-size kitchen and a big enough floor allowance for hardwood in living areas and carpet in bedrooms. It doesn't have a breakdown for windows and doors so I don't know what level would be included.

Do your sf amounts include septic, well, excavation?

• Renee0829
    9 years ago

It includes septic excavation, but we already had our well dug a few years ago and that cost was $9615 without pump. We had to dig 540 ft to get water :-(

• LOTO
    9 years ago

Mine included septic, well, excavation, extra rock for parking. $135 did not include landscaping and I have been doing that myself as time allows.