0
brick1937

choosing a great sofa manufacturer with a good price point

brick1937
Am searching for a good furniture manufacturer with a good price point. 8 way hand-tied. Transitional/clean lines -- not super modern. Any recommendations on what company to use and where to get the best price?? Thanks

• E Kill
    Is Bassett any good for a couch?
  • E Kill
    Is Bassett any good for a couch?

Good quality leather sofa manufacturers

It can be daunting because there are so many choices out there. I can tell you from experience not to go with one just because of the brand name. I bought a Bernhardt sofa, chair and ottoman several years ago but it has only seen about a years worth of wear from just me and both the sofa and chair are already losing support. My brother purchased a leather sofa set from Sears several years ago and put it in his busiest room and only now about 7 years later is the sofa losing some of its support. The pieces were stylish and comfortable with great quality leather and great price. Please don't go by Brand name or price point.

Looking for a good quality Brown Leather sofa sectional

Because the people who work for these stores are salesfolks who are usually ignorant or misinformed about how their furniture is really made. For instance, walk into Pottery Barn and ask them how their sofas are made; they won't tell you the entire truth. Here's a good article: http://www.beachbungalowdesigns.com/furnpicts/potterybarnunstuffed2.pdf This is what happens when we trust store clerks: "My mistake for trusting PB & the sales person. The Solomon table is constructed of wood veneers & particle board. I was told that it was "made of wood". After a year of cleaning it with a damp cloth & occasional wood cleaner (with no wax or silicone), the finishing is almost gone on the table. Areas of the table are peeling. I can't believe I paid almost $4,000 for this. I haven't had much luck with the store manager." And this, from an actual PB employee: "PB is a company with terrible customer service. If your item breaks or is damaged, good luck trying to get a refund for that. It's not likely to happen, especially for furniture items. We have no warranties or protective services. You'd think paying the arms and legs for your items, there would at least have to be some kind of warranty to purchase to protect you. There isn't. And I've seen some pretty angry customers because of it." The above quotes are from http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/pottery_barn.html I've seen similar complaints about Restoration Hardware's furniture. This is why I'm asking regular Houzzers about their actual experience with leather sofa manufacturers. I've read that PB claims eight-way tied steel coil springs, but this isn't the reality of their construction. I'm looking for truth.

Couches

I think both Pottery Barn and West Elm ( both William Sonoma's companies) have good furniture. It's more about the fabric you choose. You want durability and if you have kids, then the ability to clean it. Also check into Ethan Allen - excellent quality and some sale ones are under your price limit. http://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/shop-furniture-living-room-sofas-loveseats

What is a great sofa at a midrange price point?

Thank you all for your feedback. This is awesome! We have gone to Ethan Allen and I believe we may go with them. The designer in the Galleria Houson, TX location was much more informative than our local store. Thanks for the Bennett suggestion .. That is one of our choices... Between the Bennett and the Charlott
  • cacdrc

Is it possible for reclining furniture to have 8-way hand-tied construction? I need fabric, not leather. This will help me decide if I have no choice but to look for a stationary sofa.

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

Good evening cacdrc. That's an interesting question! I don't see how a motion sofa can be 8 way hand-tied because of the mechanism. The best advice I can give you is to be prepared to invest some money into your sofa, because that way you'll get the longest and most comprehensive warranty. Also check the weight limitation on the mechanism, and ask questions about how they will handle warranty issues. Deal with a designer or a retailer who will stand up for you and will guide you through any claims that could arise. Sofas with excellent motion mechanisms are going to be made with superior foam and workmanship. By the way, when you are trying to decide on the fabric you want, order a couple of memo samples which you can stain and try to clean, so you know how the fabric is going to perform. The most expensive fabrics are not necessarily the best quality. Expensive fabrics can be rare or detailed in construction, often delicate, and made with luxury fibres. For long term cleanability and durability you can certainly look at more budget fabrics. Look at the fibre content and cleaning instructions, and test, test, test! If you are in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) feel free to contact me to guide you through my own furniture sources. Best of luck in your search.

Cynthia

• RHM

Cynthia Taylor-Luce, what do you think about Precedent sofas? We are looking at the 2 Series Custom Loft sofa. Do you prefer one w/the chaise or a sectional? Looking at the Ultra Lux cushions too. thanks.

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

RHM I have no knowledge of this brand. As for which style piece would be best for you, it depends on how you use the room (formal/informal), ergonomics of the people using the furniture, the dimensions of the room/floor plan, etc. If you are able to visit a showroom, I recommend this over an on-line purchase. Be sure to ask lots of questions about the construction. For preparation, visit a high-end showroom and get educated about the qualities in their furniture, so you have something to compare against. Ask about the specifics of the warranty too. If Precedent is a very inexpensive line, then don't expect quality. If you have a very minimal budget, I recommend Ikea as the best at the super budget level. If you are not motivated by price alone, then I would recommend some of the other manufacturers I've mentioned on this thread that represent high quality and excellent customer service. If you are interested, I do offer e-design assistance and am able to consult in person with clients in the (western) Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas.

• Kyla Rogala

What a helpful thread! Thank you all for contributing. Cynthia and posters, I would love opinions on my dilemma:

I’m was looking at the York sofa (deep seats, slipcovered, bench seat, sloped arm), or the Dylan from Ethan Allen, but after reading this thread I’m interested in knowing if there’s a similar sofa out there from one of the manufacturers listed on the thread.

And am I crazy for wanting white? I have pets and we eat on the couch most nights. I was hoping to find one that is easy to clean (and part of the reason I’m interested in slipcovered).

Overall I like the “California coastal look”..though I feel like a traitor to my state since I live in Florida ;)

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

Hello Kyla! I've heard that Ethan Allen is not the reliable high-end furniture store that it was in the past so I support your decision to look elsewhere for your sofa. I Googled the Dylan sofa and I'm sure with its clean lines and streamlined arms you're not going to have a hard time finding something you like through another manufacturer. I couldn't find the York sofa online though. I highly recommend that you visit a stocking dealer so you can sit on a few pieces and ensure that you're getting exactly what you want. There are usually different options offered with regard to type /firmness of foam or foam/feather/down selections. A good salesperson will show you all the construction features and will let you know all the various options you can have for styling your piece, e.g. leg style/finish (or skirt), piping or not, semi-attached or separate back cushions, etc. The other huge advantage of in-person shopping is that you will have the benefit of their "white glove" delivery company and the delivery will be guaranteed so they will be responsible for any damage to the piece until it's sitting in place in your room.

I don't think you're crazy for wanting white! Look at Sunbrella fabrics which have come a long way since they were originally designed for outdoor cushions and umbrellas. Now you can get beautiful luxurious fabrics that are so user-friendly you can clean them with a bleach solution! You might want to ask for a memo sample of any fabric you are considering so you can practice staining it and cleaning it before you order. I've seen beautiful high-end furniture upholstered in Sunbrella fabric and it looks and feels wonderful. It's not the cheapest option, but when you consider what you're getting, it's worth it since you are planning to live everyday life on your sofa.

I hope this helps! I wish you great success in your search for a suitable sofa. Best wishes, Cynthia.

• Kyla Rogala

Thank you! What are your thoughts on Crypton fabric? We visited a showroom today that carried Taylor King and Century and thought both felt nice, but the Century only had Crytpon. Sorry I forgot to mention the brand for the York, it was Pottery Barn.

I also like bench cushions...do they wear OK?

• Kyla Rogala

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

Crypton fabric is wonderful too. It was originally developed for use in hospitals, nursing homes, etc. where it had to stand up to all sorts of spills and accidents but it was very "plasticky" and certainly not a thing of beauty. Like Sunbrella, Crypton has been developed over the years to become a beautiful fashionable fabric line. Definitely Crypton would be an excellent bet for your white sofa. There is also a nanotech process that any textile can be given prior to upholstery, which renders the fabric virtually impervious to liquids and staining if you clean it fairly promptly. Any excellent furniture manufacturer will know about this and can arrange for the bolt of yardage to be pre-treated for a small fee. There are lots of options! Taylor King and Century are excellent brands. I would not recommend Pottery Barn furniture for long term comfort and performance. Bench cushions are very nice but only through excellent manufacturers (like Taylor King, Century, etc.) because the form of the cushion has to be created in a certain way and anchored properly so it stays in place. Looks like you are definitely on the right track! Best wishes. Cynthia

• RHM

Cynthia Taylor-Luce, your input is extremely helpful! Sounds like Kyla and I like the same style and color! I am looking at Crypton samples for a Norwalk custom sofa. What are your thoughts on Norwalk? What cushions do you recommend for comfort, longevity and wearability? Down/foam, spring/down etc.? How many seat cushions do you recommend? I love the elegant clean look of bench, but what do you think? Pros and cons of two/three or bench? Thank you.:)

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

Well, you have some good questions there, RHM. Norwalk makes WONDERFUL furniture and I could not recommend them more. As for what type of cushions would be best for you, that depends! That's why they offer choices, because people like different things! Spring/down and down/foam are wonderfully squishy but they require a little maintenance every time you get up from them (unless you are not bothered by uneven cushions). Some people just cannot stand anything other than tight upholstery on cushions that don't show any evidence of being sat on, and these people would be driven round the bend by anything with down in it. You could compromise and have foam seat cushions and a down mixture for the backs--that's a lovely combination.

If you go to a showroom that has Norwalk, they will have sample cushions and switch them out for you so you can see what you feel is most comfortable. People who have mobility issues prefer something firmer because they have difficulty extricating themselves from very soft furniture.

The number of seat cushions depends on the length of the sofa. I really do not like the look of three seat cushions on a standard length sofa. Currently fashionable is having two seat cushions only. I find that more comfortable too, because the most comfortable place to sit is in the middle of a cushion, and the larger the cushion the softer the seat. The same foam cut into smaller cushions will seem firmer when you sit on it. Normally, in everyday life, only two people sit on the sofa at any one time. If you have three, it's probably for more formal visiting, and you can manage the third person easily in the middle if you have a good quality sofa.

I agree with you that a bench seat is very elegant. The first custom sofa I bought for myself had a bench seat and I totally fell in love with it. It was buttoned like an old fashioned mattress and it held up for many years. If you order a bench seat from a mediocre manufacturer you're going to have issues. When you sit on one end of it, the other end will go up in the air and it won't look nice. The proper density and the way of making the bench seat cushion need to be handled properly for an excellent result. Sometimes there are tethers that discretely hold the bench cushion in place, but my own did not, and I never had any issues with it. Best of luck in finding your dream sofa. You're definitely doing the right thing by doing your research before making your purchase!

• RHM

Cynthia Taylor-Luce you are so kind to take the time to respond and educate me on this. We purchased one from one of the stores mentioned on this thread, that USED to be great quality but it is terrible. I just covered it up w/ pillows and never even sit on it! It's the most uncomfortable sofa and zero quality! We wasted our money and now we are ready to buy again and we don't want any regrets this time around. I am doing everything I can to learn as much as possible. Do you prefer leather or something like Crypton? Or a velvet? It's only the two of us now, unless we have company. I don't want to worry about spills, etc. We are looking at Norwalk, the Linkin sofa (100). Very good point about the cushions. I am that person that it drives nuts having to straighten the cushions all the time! That middle one makes me crazy. :) On this size, 100, would you do two seats or a bench? We sat on it today and it was extremely comfortable, and the depth was perfect to sit on, but wondering if deeper is better for tv viewing?

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

The Norwalk Linkin sofa in the 100" length has an 89" wide seat, which means three individual seat cushions are almost 30" wide, a generous and comfortable size for a person to sit on. The 24" depth of the cushion is likewise generous and is perfect for lounging. The 43" overall depth of the sofa is much more spacious than a standard sofa of 36" depth which many people have to buy because of their smaller rooms. It's going to be a very nice spot for a tall person to nap also!

I definitely recommend three seat cushions over two for this length of sofa. Two would be out of proportion. A bench seat could work but it can pose some challenges because fabric tends to be around 52-54" wide. To use one piece of fabric for the bench seat, the fabric would have to be turned sideways and railroaded. Some fabrics are ok like this and others are not. If you have fabric with a nap, you wouldn't want to turn it sideways. If you must run the fabric front to back on the cushion, you'll have to have a couple of seams and piece it. The seams could line up with the division between the three back cushions, but you should be aware of the issue in case these seams would bother you. I find that a bench seat works better for a more formal room, and prefer separate seat cushions for a casual space.

Some people really love leather, but the best leather hides have variations of grain and show little blemishes from the animal cutting themselves on barbed wire, etc. Some hides are treated with a paint-like finish that fills in and masks these natural features, but nothing wears over time like natural leather. When you mentioned that you like your cushions taut and perfect, I deduce that you wouldn't be happy with the irregularities of natural leather. Leather also adds significantly to the price, and a large piece like the Linkin would require perhaps three hides and you'd want them all to look similar in colour and grain to avoid patchiness. There can be wide variations in how the hides accept dyes. Again, I think with your stated preference, I believe you'd be happier with fabric.

Crypton comes in a velvety style but perhaps your retailer only offers a few different selections? Working through an interior designer gives you much more flexibility with fabric choice since Norwalk limits the choices of fabrics through retailers. My Trade showroom orders oodles of furniture through Norwalk and we have an arrangement that they will accept any fabric we provide. If you have very specific fabric needs and you are unable to find exactly what you want, I do offer e-design assistance in Canada and the US and could help you with your order. I understand that this sofa represents quite an investment and that you want to be assured of an excellent product to enjoy over the upcoming years. I think you'll love the Norwalk Linkin.

Best wishes, Cynthia

ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca

• RHM

Wow Cynthia Taylor-Luce! Thank you so much for your advice! You've told us things we would have never thought about! The other sofa we are looking at is by Precedent, the Loft version..it is a sister company of Sherill. It is not 8 way hand tied but is sinuous spring and has cushions w/foam wrapped in down. Still think the Linkin is the way to go compared to this? We loved this one too and the fabric is 100% poly. and feels like velvet. How would this fabric be for spills and wearability? We know it's not anything like Crypton but it's just such a lux looking and feel of a sofa! I prefer the lines of this one and the English Roll arm. I don't think you can pick your arms on the Linkin, can you?

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

You're very welcome! I'm not personally familiar with Precedent, but when you say foam wrapped in down, no I don't think it would be as good a choice as the Norwalk piece. Some of Norwalk's sofas are available with the English arm but I'm not sure if Linkin is one of them. My resource centre is closed right now but I'll drop them a line and get back to you Monday evening to clarify your choices with this one. Perhaps you might be open to one of the other Norwalk styles that does offer the English arm + 100" length + deep seating (in case the Linkin does not)? I don't mind clarifying this for you. Please bear with me :)

By the way, I am aware that this thread is almost six years old and each of our messages will be alerting loads of people who have been involved in this discussion over the years. If you like, you can email me directly at ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca and we can have a private discussion.

C.

PS I can't comment on the fabric except to recommend you get a couple of memo samples and "torture test" them with common stains and cleaning products so you'll know what to expect.

• wormgirl_8a_WA

Wow. This thread is amazingly helpful, and I was astonished that it is still alive today! (I think people can opt out of replies to this thread, by the way?) Anyway Cynthia, I'm very impressed at your generosity of knowledge, and cannot help asking a question. I prefer a shallow couch with a supportive back, ideally 19 or 20 inches deep. Do you know of manufacturers I might check out? I am also wondering about cat-suitable fabric. Ideally I would be able to sit on a sample rather than having to just order and pray. Thank you for any ideas you may have!

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

Thank you wormgirl! Yes I'm aware people can opt out but I think people like to keep a connection with this thread for education purposes. It's turned into quite a page, hasn't it?

You didn't mention the style of sofa you're looking for, but I took a quick look at Norwalk (one of my favourite manufacturers) and their ESTATE sofa is only 36" deep over all. The depth of the seat cushion is 21" but you could put a nice soft supportive cushion behind your back to get exactly the right fit for your back. Forgo the down option and go with a firmer foam both in the seat and the back cushions. Retail showrooms will have sample cushions so you can try sitting on them all and making your choice.

As for the fabric being cat-suitable, that's a tricky one. What does your cat do? Is it the claws you're concerned about or (ahem) hairballs? drooling? I love cats but sometimes you have to put up with bad behaviour! No fabric is going to be perfect if your cat scratches, but don't tempt them with a very loosely woven fabric. Something tightly woven, perhaps with a backing, will be better. The fibre should be very cleanable and non-staining. A smoother fabric will be easier to clean loose fur off (it shouldn't cling too much). I would recommend a man-made fabric over a natural fabric. You might want to order a set of extra seat cushion covers to keep in reserve so if you have issues down the road, you can freshen up the piece with replacement cushion covers. You need to order them at the same time as you order your sofa so the fabric will be available and the covers will match the sofa. Fabric gets discontinued quickly and dye lots vary so don't count on ordering more fabric afterwards. A local upholsterer may not give you the same look as the factory workroom also.

For everyday use, I have a nice furry afghan throw that my feline girl loves to sleep on and she leaves the sofa seat cushions alone. Fortunately she doesn't scratch the furniture :)

• wormgirl_8a_WA

Thank you Cynthia! As far as the cat concern, I'm not so concerned about stains -- it's mostly about how the fabric will hold up to claws. I have a microfiber piece that I hate and want to get rid of, but on the good side, for four years it's stood up to playful cats ENTHUSIASTICALLY using it as a jungle gym and launchpad, and an occasional use as a scratching post -- and the fabric doesn't show it at all. I would like to get a fabric that behaves like this! Oh, and it doesn't suck the hair into the weave. I believe these two qualities is why microfiber is widely recommended for pet owners, but I wonder if they all behave this well??

As far as style, I guess I prefer contemporary? I am more flexible on that. I actually just looked up the Norwalk Estate, and it's definitely something I would consider, and I did find a furniture & design place in my area that carries them... would not have known about them otherwise. I might go check them out tomorrow morning.

That is fantastic advice about cushion covers. I would never have thought of that! That's some golden advice right there. Thanks once again!

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

Hi again wormgirl. Be careful with microfibre. Some of them are labelled as dry clean only. If you spill water on them or try to spot clean with water you will leave a big stain. That's why I insist on getting memo samples of any fabric I'm considering so I can test the fabric before ordering the furniture. Good luck with the Norwalk furniture. It's very high quality and very comfortable. It's good that you're going right to the store because they can show you other styles too. I'm glad you found my advice useful! :)

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

Ok RHM I have some information for you about Norwalk (to continue our conversation from last night). The Linkin sofa is only available with the arm that's shown on the website. They do have a few styles with the English arm, but nothing with the depth of the Linkin. If you prioritize the arm style over the extra depth of the Linkin, I suggest you look at the Copley, Evanston, Cavette, Kent or Estate sofas.

Re: Precedent

I have no knowledge or experience of this company and have no opinion. I discussed the Norwalk option because I have purchased many of these and my clients have been very happy with them.

I hope this helps. Best wishes, Cynthia

• RHM

Thank you Cynthia Taylor-Luce! :)

Did you find anything on the Sherril sister company, Precedent? We are looking at the Loft sofa, 100ft. same as the Linkin. It has two depths..Not sure which one to pick if we go w/ this one. I like the look of this one and I loved the fabric we saw. It's sinuous spring. Should we stay away from it? It's actually about 1k more than the Norwalk.

• Terri Orf
    Ok. I ordered a bunch of furniture from Furnitureland South. I visited here (NC) to pick all of it out. Quality ranging from imports like Dove Tail and FourHands to Vanguard and Hancock and More. I saved a great deal of $$ compared to purchasing locally in St Louis, and being able to see it all in one location was huge. Ordered a sectional from Huntington House and NOT happy. Cushions and tailoring not good. It’s going back. And Furnitureland has been great to deal with. Specifically my sales person. So now looking to replace. My question is...and I’m doing fabric, not leather...which brand? I’ve looked at CR Laine, Taylor King, Lillian August (made by Hickory White), and Hancock and Moore. Any information would be appreciated!!!
  • RHM

Terri Orf, who did you work with there? Can you give me at least the first name? We've been thinking of going there. Is there a restocking fee?

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

Terri I have no experience with CR Laine, but I do recommend Taylor King and anything made by Hickory White. Hancock and Moore used to be carried through my showroom but there were too many issues and it was dropped.

• Ana Andreev

Does anyone have experience with Maiden Lane furniture?

• J. Appelbaum

I bought a Huntington House sofa, upgraded the cushions to spring down and love the result. We got a leather chair from them as well.

• Ana Andreev

Thank you for sharing!

• Gus H

We bought a Mayo sectional last year and NOT happy at all, the quality is poor the stitching is below average, most of the seams on some cushions are pulling apart,Mayo customer service does not exist they never returned our calls or emails. Very poor image and reputation for Made in U.S.A. product.I will never buy a Mayo product again

• Sam Goh

Trying to wrap my head around to get started. Any recent thoughts on King Hickory or Smith Brothers? Looking for a couch + chair or a sectional. Wow there are a lot of options!

The Stated Home

I look for manufacturers that are made in the U.S.A. and offer a lifetime warranty on frame and suspension - that is usually a good clue it is made well. 8-way hand tied springs are the gold standard, and sofas that feature that usually have quality construction throughout the piece. Some manufacturers do good sinuous springs, but some do not, so it's a little more iffy. I'm partial to Lee Industries and The MT Company, but also love Carolina Custom Leather for leather pieces. These are what I sell so am most familiar with them. A seat cushion with innersprings will hold up the best. Avoid down unlessy you are okay with flipping and fluffing daily.

Some other manufacturers with good construction are:

Hancock and Moore (though interesting to read on this thread about issues)

Taylor King

Stanford

CR Laine (though I have read some reviews that their quality is suffering lately)

Thayer Coggin

I've personally had a Lee Industries sofa for 15 years that has been through a ton of moves and it is still great! All I've had to do is replace the slipcover. I also got new cushion cores, though I didn't need them, I just wanted to switch to something firmer.

You can find a retailer near you that can help from the manufacturers websites, but if you can't find one near you, let me know and I can help!

• lforshee
    I have not seen any mention about Bassett sofas, either good or bad. WmAnyone have any experience with them in the past 5 years?
  • RHM

Cynthia Taylor-Luce, what are your thoughts on the Century Cornerstone sofa? Would you recommend that one? We are looking at it and considering it. If you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Kathleen Townsend Interior Design, LLC

Hi RHM

Although I am not Cynthia, I am an interior designer that frequently specifies the Century Cornerstone Sofa and product line. You have 8 way hand tied construction and the Spring Down seat cushions are standard. Additionally you have several choices in You have choices in the depth of the frame, the arms, the back and the base. Quality is very good and price is not out of reach.

Cynthia Taylor-Luce

Thanks for stepping up, Kathleen! I try never to recommend any manufacturer I haven't dealt with or had personal experience of, but your analysis of their quality is very good and makes me tend to agree with you that Century would be a good investment.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so much knowledge to this epic thread. I'm looking for a new sectional and was able to test out Century Cornerstone, Taylor King Taylor Made, Vanguard Envision, Lee Essentials and Stickley 7000 Series custom today. The Century and Taylor were our favorites, but I'm not sure we're willing to swallow the price tag. I'm going to call around for quotes tomorrow, but given the recommendations in this thread I feel that any of these should be solid choices.

• Sam Goh

Any ideas on what we should be expecting price-wise for a mid-range sectional? About to start the search, could also use some thoughts on some good mail-order/online sources would be for some of the brands like Smith Bros, King Hickory?

Would like leather, but spot gets direct sun so it's out. Have kids that could be tougher on the sectional. Or are we better off with something from Bassett/Pottery Barn?

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)

I asked for some approximate price quotes on a 3-piece (sofa, loveseat and chase) and while prices vary a lot between retailers, it sounds like Taylor King (Taylor Made line), Vanguard (Envision) and Century (Cornerstone) are on the upper end of the brands I'm considering ($6500-8000), with Lee Industries (Essentials) in the middle ($5000-5500) and CR Laine (8700 Series) a bit less ($4000-4500). These prices are all base models in a base fabric, no upgrades. The Stickley 7000 series was quite a bit more expensive, around $10K, and I didn't like it nearly as much as the TK or Century that we sat on in the same store.

• Diana Alt

YOUR SPACE FURNITURE - Custom designer style sofas factory direct!

• cwaller1

Any feedback or opinions on the quality of Fairfield Chair Company sofas?

Kathleen Townsend Interior Design, LLC

Hi CWaller1

As an Interior Designer I have specified a Fairfield Chair upholstered product and have been very satisfied with the quality, and price point. They are a very established company. I only specify their upholstered goods and every client that has purchased a Fairfield Chair Product has loved their purchase. Even many years later...

Hope this helps a bit.

• Laura Grosmaire

We're looking for a new sofa or sectional. Loving this topic! I'm willing to get a 5-10 year old sofa and reupholster. I've been cruising for Hancock & Moore on Craigslist. I let a beautiful Councill with extremely high end covering get away a few months ago because I wasn't quite ready. . . someone was moving across the country - $500 . . . . . Sigh. Anyway, saw an add for a brand called Stylus, it's a Canadian (BC) firm, is anyone familiar with it?

• 8point

Looking at purchasing a sectional made by Bernhardt. Does anyone have knowledge of this brand?

• shwshw

I love this post. And I love that it is a "living" document. I have a 25 year old Pearson sofa. It is well used many hours a day. It is still in great shape. I do keep it well covered as my 3 cats and small dog consider it their bed.

• lynartist
    This a wonderful thread shwshw! I have been reading it since the beginning! I used to sell Pearson and I can attest to their very good construction! I just had my Pearson recliner reupholstered. The upholsterer was amazed at the quality !
  • shwshw

That is great to hear Lyn. I didn't know a lot when I furnished my home, but I am so happy that I purchased such a well built sofa.

• Kelli Snyder

Hi all, great thread! I also am in search of a new sectional. I have had my heart set on a Huntington House 2100 series modern curve with the new Inside Out Fabric or a Crypton fabric. Today I sat on a Hickory White Custom Elements sectional and I really liked it. The HH is about $6300 & the HW is about $5500, but the HW has a lower grade of fabric. I’m looking for a piece that will last 15+ years. Would it be wiser to invest in the HH or the HW? Thanks!!

• lynartist
    I’m not that familiar with HH but don’t see why you can’t upgrade the fabric on the HW if that is the sofa you prefer.
    Samantha Price
    King hickory is excellent!