arbordalelandscaping

Any pros out there not having any success gnerating leads off Houzz?

Arbordale Landscaping
I signed on with Houzz last year and made a pretty nice profile including 12 projects with very high quality photos and good keywords. We do some really beautiful work in the geater Toronto area. Over the last year I wasn't terribly active because I was working in the field building landscapes and didn't have much time to get to be more active on the website. Since the November I have really upped my engagement and have done everything 'required' for a professional looking profile, I've been very active o the site, and even started paying to become a pro plus member. I look at my competitors websites and maybe its just me, but I feel my profile exceeds them all with reviews, quality photos, number f projects, quality of projects and activity.

In over a year of being a member I have not gotten a single call from a prospective client. I have had a grand total of 1 person commenting on one of my photos, and my highest added photo is at 6 ideabooks. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed so far and I'm semi worried my investment into the pro plus program might have been a waste of money.

I want to know what my lack of success is due to:
Expectations too high?
Reading too much into others success?
Is Houzz really geared towards landscapers and the landscaping industry?
Something wrong with my profile?
Is Toronto a good market on Houzz?

Any thoughts? Thanks Pros

Thomas Decks, LLC

According to our google analytics account, we have received 90 social referrals from houzz in the past month...meaning members, pro and non-pro, have clicked to navigate to our website. I customarily don't ask folks where they heard of us, or got our name. Have had some to volunteer that a co-worker, or an existing customer gave it to them. But, I do know that we have received 4 direct jobs from houzz since our time on here....and only do the free profile. I'm going to start asking just out of curiosity's sake, but with what we have lined up for Spring already, out of those 90 social referrals, I'm betting maybe at least 3 from houzz. We do not advertise anywhere else whatsoever. We have our website, I contribute a lot to Professional Deck Magazine, and Houzz. There's nowhere else to view our projects. I doubt that I will ever pay for the advertising service because truthfully it hasn't been needed to go beyond the response we're getting already. I don't think we have a lot of pros from our area on here, and it seems like some of the homeowner population from Cinci has discovered houzz, but not many of the pros have...especially for deck/landscaping outdoor design.

Arbordale Landscaping thanked Thomas Decks, LLC
    Horton Brasses Inc

So we are Houzz newbies and we aren't actually all that interested in consumer business. We prefer to deal with the trades, and price accordingly. (shameless self promotion, I know). So my comments are more general to internet forum and message boards, and I think they apply to Houzz.

Anyway, I have had active profiles on various woodworking communities for a number of years. They do generate sales. The way that it has been successful for us is to be a member of the community. Provide relevant comments where possible. Whether it is related to your business or not. If a thread is going on a topic of interest to you personally or professionally, comment on it. Don't give away all your secrets of course, but a few words on a topic go a long way. You are the pro and you know a lot more about this than they do. The community absolutely rejects open salesmanship unfortunately, but they do respect solid information. Those comments get profile views, followers, and establish you as an expert, this does eventually result in sales. Your clients who don't find you through Houzz also may research you here. They will read your comments and profiles. It will affect how they see you.

One thing to note, every forum has a sub-community of negative people. In this case, the people that don't like designers, think everything is too expensive, they can do it all themselves for less, etc, etc. That negativity is as visible to your potential client as it is to you-real potential clients will be able to weed that out quite easily.

Arbordale Landscaping thanked Horton Brasses Inc

Not permitted to have any input in my custom home!!

@TwistedMinds - I was actually responding to the comment previous to yours, which had responded to mine, and out comments posted simultaneously. To everyone else - clearly, the contractor is a jerk. What has in the past been the 'normal' contracting structure (architect-client, contractor-client and architect overseeing the aesthetic intent) was designed specifically to prevent this kind of problem, so, I thought it worth mentioning. While it is the case that some contractors have good taste and good sense, and some architects don't, it is also that case that all architects spend at least 5 years in school and two years of internship considering the totality of the effects that a design will have once implemented, and that you are in much better shape (having spent a lot less money) if you work with an architect and decide that you don't like what they have designed than if you start with a contractor and find that you don't like what they have built.

Success! Check out this Lovely Kitchen Renovation in Great Falls, VA

This is stunning! For those of you looking to transform your own kitchen, if you have any questions about cabinetry or would like to explore design options, feel free to reach out to us :) http://www.cabinetstogo.com/

What a BLAH foyer I have created. Any suggestions??

Don't sell yourself short. You have a good basis. I like the painting & the red lamp shade which compliments the painting. I agree w/the other comments---ditch the swag around the arch, the vase & sticks & the wire basket. I think you just need to find the right accents for your table. Maybe you could stack a couple of books on the table? Also, the lamp itself is really tall next to the painting. Consider either raising the painting a little higher or using a shorter lamp base (keeping the shade). If you want to bring in greenery, consider moving the painting & table to the left & adding a tall tree or palm in the right corner or a small bonsai or vase w/flowers as an accent piece on the table. Just a few suggestions...hope they help!

Do you know any great service pros in your area?

OTTAWA, Ontario - Electrical We just finished renovating our kitchen and we were very pleased with just about everything and everyone associated with this project, from demolition to end results. That being said, as is to be expected, some things went more smoothly than others and the electrical team and the work they did will stand out as being exceptional on every level. Thompson Electric Ottawa was recommended to us - Jeff Thompson and his A-team (Matt and Bob) were extremely professional, courteous and accommodating. Their work was beautifully done. We could not be more impressed and we will hire them for all future projects. Hope this helps someone in Ottawa!
    Tuscany Builders and Design

Houzz is great for homeowners to exploit the design market by allowing them to access the best of the best photos and ideas we put out there. Not many of our leads turn into actual paying clients- homeowner's want what we all show them, but they aren't willing to pay for it. It might still be that we are facing a lack luster economy of about 8 years now; but the general consensus of a typical homeowner is take what info you can get for free and run with it.

Arbordale Landscaping thanked Tuscany Builders and Design
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.

@Tuscany...

Amen to that!

The combination of 7-8 years of economic stagnation which has made the consumer "gun-shy" at the very least... combined with an "I want it HIGH QUALITY...CHEAP...& NOW!" mentality, has definitely made the market a bit more tedious to deal with.

Arbordale Landscaping thanked Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    Barbara Feldman Interior Design

I don't think it's gun shy. I think the younger generation is a little too computer savvy and knows how to work the system. Since we deal with the 1% out here in the Hamptons, we (meaning the local business owners in almost every industry) feel there is a sense of "entitlement" that is pervasive as well. I am gearing my marketing towards the retiring Baby Boomer generation now in an effort to minimize my interaction with the other demographic. I'm lucky I have a skill set from healthcare design that allows me to provide Universal and Aging in Place design. Plus, they relate to me better and our taste is more in synch because I AM a baby boomer.

Arbordale Landscaping thanked Barbara Feldman Interior Design
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.

Word of mouth is the BEST advertisement. I signed on with Houzz to see what else was out there, to see what other trends are happening elsewhere. This website has come in handy for me several times. I have uploaded minimal photos compared to the amount of work we actually produce and have received a few comments. I have had 1 lead from this website in less than a year and I did not pay for any upgrades on this site. My advise to you is to make fliers and advertise in your local paper.

Arbordale Landscaping thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    Arbordale Landscaping

I agree that the new generation is computer savvy, and heavily relies on it. Unlike you Barbara, I am part of this new generation (30 yrs of age). Our company has never had to do any advertising since my parents started the business over 30 years ago. It seems more imperative now to advertise with the new generation, and it seems to be the way all of our competitors are going.

When I shop for stuff myself, I look for quality and price. I am willing to pay a few dollars more to get a better product, which I think is the thought process for people of my generation. There is more information available, and people rely less and less on asking friends, family, and neighbours for a contact to do their landscaping etc. Because this information is so readily available, people are willing to spend more time shopping around because its easier to do it now then it ever was with the web.

The economy was crap from 2008-2011 for us, but since then has come up very steadily, and we had our biggest year last year in fact, so we are hopeful for the future. I am on this site, and signed as a paid pro to try and generate more sales, as we are trying to grow larger than we've ever been, and to increase yearly sales. The pro plus program fit into our annual marketing budget.

@Cinar - What is your flyer program like? What is your paper advertisement like? Do you profile all new clients to find out where they found you? What is the success rate for these advertising mediums?

Cinar Interiors, Inc.

85% of our work is from word of mouth. The other 15% is advertising in our local paper. We usually offer a 5-10% discount if they're able to provide our add when they came in. We don't do fliers but since you are in the landscaping business I would think it would be a great way for you to get yourself out there and if you're able to print them up yourself you could save some $$. I am in the flooring business and we are a family owned and operated business. 2nd generation, my parents started this business back in 1971. As far as paper adds, keep them trendy and change up your wording every add. Offer discounts with proof of the add - this helps show how much work is generated by paper adds. Maybe once a year advertise in a home magazine that hits surrounding areas. Generate customers with excellent service and they will continue to use you for years to come.

Barbara Feldman Interior Design

@Arbordale OK, then when you shop for SERVICES, how do you evaluate value vs. cost? It's a different mindset than when a consumer is purchasing product. People can't see it, touch it, feel it. There's a huge leap of faith involved.

Arbordale Landscaping

We have never gone the paper, magazine, or flier route because we do try to avoid tire kickers. As you can see from my Houzz page, we do very high end work, and try and avoid jobs under 10k, and jobs where we can tell people are price shopping. We are more often than not, the higher if not highest quote.

Shopping Services is a similar process for me. I go online and see customer reviews and feedback. I would want to see samples of work, or the services they have done in the past as well. You are right that something tangible is much easier to value than service.

What we try to do as well is educate our clients on exactly what they get with our services. We tell them the difference and ensure that if they are getting other quotes, that the other companies are quoting on identical products ie. 3-year stone warranty, 1-year plant replacement guarantee, size of trees/plants, excavation depths etc. With a little education I think you can teach your clients to not trust your competitors intentions and try and create trust right off the bat. We have also done a great job of evaluating which clients/leads we do not get, and have made a conscious effort to make our plans and quotes harder for our competitors to price ie. no scale on drawings and no quantities on quotes.

Horton Brasses Inc

I think when selling a high end product, as we do, keeping all of your points of contact consistent and appropriately styled. We make some of the finest hardware anywhere. Our printed catalog and our website try to reflect that as best we can. The fonts, the text, the photography, etc. Everything we do is geared to showing our products as the luxury goods that they are.

Think about it this way-if you go get a Toyota Corrolla brochure, it is plain and extremely informative. Every specification, color, and detail is in that brochure. They are selling a set of specs and a price (not criticizing Toyota BTW) . If you look at a brochure of a Rolls Royce, it is gorgeous photography with almost no pertinent information. They are selling a feeling, not a bunch of specs.

Same with some of the highest end kitchen folks. No details, just glamour. They are selling the brand, the style, and the feeling. The specs are not important-its the image and the emotion that matter. Home Depot sells kitchens based on price and size-X dollars per linear foot. On sale now, 0% financing for eternity, this weekend only. Blah, blah, blah.

Selling a service, like interior design and landscaping, follows the same path. If you're a landscaper with two guys and a couple mowers, you market yourself very differently. Your selling a convenience. Some fliers in mailboxes, maybe near your existing customers. Printed on neon paper. Maybe a starting price to get people interested in you.

If you are selling high end hardscaping you handle it entirely differently. You are selling your ability to create beautiful outdoor spaces, lifestyles, that the customer wants, or wants to think they have, Prices and details aren't really all that important, at least at first. Your marketing materials should pre-qualify your customers to a certain extent, then show them the life they could be leading with your work in their homes or yards. Once they buy in to your vision, you have the ability to make a fair profit and create a lifetime customer.

Barbara Feldman Interior Design

Yes prices and details aren't really all that important, at least at first. It's after the "at least at first" part that is the sticking point. Specifically the price on the services. I am following a discussion on LinkedIn that is focused on how to price architecture and design services. This issue is pervasive all over the country; no one, even seasoned professionals, has a firm grip on how to charge for the work. Fees range wildly from one end of the spectrum to the other, are based on many different formats (% of construction cost v. hourly v. flat fee v. combination v. percentage of interior costs and by phase/by project) and also are affected by the geographic area and location of the project. But for all, getting paid is a stumbling block. In fact, there is a design coaching company called Design Success University that is trying to help designers with this very topic. It's not as easy to value services as it is to value a product, where there is a cost to fabricate and a markup. Plus, you can shop your competition a little easier; each design project is so unique there is no standard formula that works..

Scott Design, Inc.

Consider contacting the general contractors, architects, pool designers, deck builders, etc you have been involved with while on your projects. Ask them if they participate on Houzz. If so, ask if they would mention your landscaping company and its importance in the overall end result and/or tag the landscaping. This will accomplish two things...a "qualified referral" which is better than paid advertising (especially when offered by a colleague) and a wider reach to people who are looking at the architecture but will also pay attention to your work as well. If you have not worked with a GC or architect, then make contact with those on Houzz in your area. This can be the first step into developing a relationship with these professionals while spreading the word.

Also, there are always TV's on a wall in a waiting area...a captured audience. Look into using that medium for disposable-income clientele such as spas, hair salons, elective surgeries i.e. cosmetic, etc), auto dealerships, etc.

Ask your Houzz rep when they will be doing an article on landscaping. Make suggestions as to what should be included that will help people to better understand the process and that you would like to contribute quotes and or photos.

Arbordale Landscaping thanked Scott Design, Inc.
    Arbordale Landscaping

Yes, all things to consider. We are definitely going to try the Houzz thing this year, and hopefully we are successful. If we sell about 70k worth of work through Houzz, its paid itself off and we will definitely re-sign. Otherwise we will look into other venues.

I am working on a flier right now, and it does not contain any pricing, but merely sells our services, and lifestyle choices, and points people to our website to see samples of our work. I figure that way people will see what we offer and wont waste our time on the small stuff. The fliers are cheap, its just my time to go and drop these off. I have also considered door hangers for when we are working in a particular area to encourage people to drop by our sites and see our quality, crafstmanship and meet our team. We like the areas we work in, and want to do more business in them because they are the wealthier neighbourhoods.

TV adds might be a bit overboard in my mind. I'm not sure whether you're talking about an add on a broadcast television station, or just the type of tv services that cycles through adds?

We are in talks with a local magazine which markets landscaping and lifestyle. For one issue we are looking at close to 5k. Might be out of our budget range for marketing for the year unfortunately. If the Houzz thing doesn't work out, this might be a viable option.

Kemora Landscapes

Thank you for posting a message like this Arbordale Landscaping. You direct messaged us recently and appreciated that too! Our company is very similar to yours as in we were very busy in the prime landscape months and just recently (around November like you said) have been trying to be really active on this site. We were contemplating on renewing our pro account. Then when we talked to our Houzz rep we told them we were going to try one year and try and be consistently active and see if this helps at all. We're hoping by being active on the site during our busy landscape months, this may help. We have gotten a few potential clients from this website and this gives us hope! Hope all works out for you!

Arbordale Landscaping thanked Kemora Landscapes
    Arbordale Landscaping

When did you sign up with Houzz @Kemora, and how soon after did these potential clients come in the door?

Kemora Landscapes

@Arbordale Landscaping, we signed up sometime last year! So we are still fairly new to the site! A couple clients messaged us for some design consultations over the winter. And we actually got one client with a fairly big project in mind, so if that all goes to plan, we are hoping it is worth it. We haven't received anything recently and are going to wait it out through the busy season and see if anything progress is made. Hoping it does because we really like this site! Good luck!

ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    Houzz in canada doesn't sell anything. Houzz doesn't even have us down as a country when u sign up? Wtf??Try trusted pros and I'm sure you ll see a return. I feel houzz is for window shoppers looking for free advise. But then again what do I know......?
    Arbordale Landscaping thanked ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    Gentle Gardener Green Design

this is a great conversation, THE conversation for pro s on Houzz, IMHO. I hope our reps are listening.

I do see an issue with the growth of mobile - a good thing - but the fact is that houzz.com treats that separately - updates made to my profile on one don't transmit in real time to the other. By end of this year the mobile apps should reach more users/people than the website and when that happens if we are not able to make our Pro advertising package work for mobile, it's a house of cards.

Arbordale Landscaping thanked Gentle Gardener Green Design
    Barbara Feldman Interior Design

Are you saying that the mobile a

Arbordale Landscaping

I agree @Gentle, I would like a representative to chime in with something other than the same success story videos that we've all seen.

Arbordale Landscaping

@Ultimate It still puzzles me as to why there is not a Canada section, your absolutely right. I actually just signed on with TrustedPros. What has been your experience with this? You can PM me, or email me at blake@arbordalelandscaping.com. Thanks

• Liza Hausman

Hi gang - not sure why you say Houzz doesn't have Canada as a country when you sign up - we absolutely do. Canada is our second largest country community, we do market research specifically for Canada, and host events for professionals in every province.

Pro+ has also been successful for Canadian pros - we have plenty of success stories from there as well - but if you have concerns please speak with your rep and he or she would be happy to give you the facts.

Revolutionary Gardens

@Liza - any shot of you guys answering my earlier question, about whether or not Houzz has an advisory panel of folks actually IN the industry? I think it's an important question because I'm seeing a lot of instances where you guys have something promising but you're not quite managing to bridge that gap, those last couple of inches, to really connect with and serve your pro community/customer base.

• Liza Hausman

@ Revolutionary - we are always listening - Pros give us tons of feedback via email and this forum and we are always listening. We've developed deep relationships with professionals in different segments of the community and reach out to them regularly and for new product development. You should feel free to share any thoughts you have.

Arbordale Landscaping

Liza, how come at the bottom of my page that I see right now, if I open up countries Canada is not an option?

ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    Liza , then why when u sign up does it only give the option to use USA? I don't see to many Canucks on this site compared to other marketing sites.
    Garden Patios Inc

I am glad someone had the voice to ask this question. I went to the International Pool and Spa show in New Orleans a couple of years ago. This is where I first learned about Houzz. At the show there were a series of classes that I took in a package for pool builders. The very last class during the show I attended, the show host Lewis Akins had asked the attendees of this class how many of you are on Houzz. Three quarters of the room lit up. His second question was how many of you get leads from using Houzz. The same amount of people still raised their hand. I am a small custom pool builder and outdoor living area contractor. I was impressed with Lewis Akins - Ocean Quest Pools and hope to build my company like his someday. Slow to react to going on Houzz because I was having success in referrals and Distinctive Living Magazine I have just become a recent member as of November. I have built up my profile steady with 141 photos and since then I have 2-4 photos that people are putting into their ideabooks everyday. No direct leads or calls just yet, but what I have used Houzz is directing my current and prospective clients to a link to my Houzz page in my emails and estimating and I am getting good feed back from that. We will see how the future holds given my rep had said it takes a good 6 months to build up steam.

Arbordale Landscaping thanked Garden Patios Inc
  • Emily H

Hi All,

To clarify on the options below where you can select countries, that applies only to the localization of the site. For instance, if you are in the U.S. you select that to insure you have content in American English, vs. UK English or say, French. (It's about the language, not the country, actually, though I'm happy this came up, so I can clarify and we can know that might be confusing to some.) As Liza said, Canada is our second largest source of traffic.

Here are a couple examples of Canadian pros in our directory:

Pros in Toronto

Pros in Montreal

You can search any city at that link as well. Hope that helps!

Maltby Design

Now if only we could target that traffic...

USI Design & Remodeling

@arbordale,

I looked at your pictures, profile and website to better understand your situation and who you are.

Having made some bad bets myself I know where your coming from.

I gleaned from your profile and reviews your a leader in advanced landscape design project range ($10,000-$250,000+). Congrats. Reviews are the golden ticket and speak to the relationships you create , other pros can't understand why they request reviews, but they don't get many.

Suffice to say HOUZZ is iconic, the website is an oasis for homes, lifestyle, improvements and research. Don't believe me, then Google Toronto landscape designers and see who's organic on the first page and if they are there and you aren't then they helped create another portal to your front doorstep that you couldn't or didn't create for yourself. And if your both there then, great again they are reinforcing your relevance as an expert.

For a benchmark in the last 365 days our project photos have been saved to over 82,000 idea books. HOUZZ can give you enormous thrust, it happened to us because we were so perfectly matched to the way HOUZZ was developed. I mean, we had been doing professional photography for 14yrs, we had always gotten complimented on our client relationships, we redid our website all the time to stay current which also had the effect of deeply understanding the people we felt like we served best. We navigate on platforms like HOUZZ, but also have multiple independent websites targeted to unique searches and projects. Who, said you can only have one website.

See kitchendesignover.com

It's us when we don't suceed, it's us when we do. We must all dial in on the fact that you can't take comfort in other people in our own industries lack of success as validation that you shouldn't continue something that you believe in and is pointing straight at the fact your doing things, not quite right. Ultimately if you succeed on HOUZZ you'll be exceptional with all your Internet marketing.

Regards,

Chris chumbley

USI Design & Remodeling

Best of HOUZZ

2012,2013,2014,2015

Arbordale Landscaping thanked USI Design & Remodeling
    K&D Landscape Management

Arbordale:

Our view of Houzz and how it fits into our branding and marketing scheme has evolved. At first I was lukewarm because we did not seem to be getting any decent leads, even though we were paying to be in the Pro Plus program. That slowly started to change over a period of time and now our satisfaction with Houzz is fairly high. We have had some quality calls that we can trace directly to our participation on Houzz. Lead generation has been low volume, but high quality for us at this point. We can live with that scenario.

Our account representatives have been responsive and diligent with follow-through. Definitely no complaints there. Any time I have had questions or expressed concerns there has been good dialogue with our rep. I would be disappointed if we lost Casey, our current rep.

I went to your Houzz account and the work is wonderful. For the life of me I cannot say why you do not have more people saving your work to their idea books. Maybe it is your keywords. Perhaps the keywords are not targeting the viewers as well as they could be?

One of the 'natural conflicts' with Houzz and any contractor is that we want potential clients to A) contact us immediately through Houzz or by phone or B) bounce to our website and call or email us. Houzz wants people to A) stay on Houzz or B) bounce from our website to Houzz. No contractor wants people to leave their website, us included. So even though we are on Houzz, we do not have a lot of links from website to our Houzz account. Once they are on our website we want potential clients to stay, even though our Houzz profile page is more complete and has more photos than our website. Still, we value our participation here.

There are a handful of things that we are doing with our account to make Houzz effective for us. You would be welcome to call me at 815-600-9935. If I start listing or explaining what we are doing this will be a novella and people will be falling asleep as they read.

I would try to discuss your situation in more detail with your rep and see if he or she can get it nailed down for you. Good luck this season! Regards, John Algozzini

Arbordale Landscaping thanked K&D Landscape Management
    Purewal Contractors, Inc

i don't even no what to do houzz can any one help me please. i tried giving advice to people to put up more featured photos and i tried to get reviews but my clients don't want to make an account, one of my reviews was not even published and it has been over three months can any help me, thank you from jasbir

• Liza Hausman

@Purewal, I'm not sure what you mean by "giving advice to people to put up more featured photos" - only you can upload photos to your profile. Feel free to visit support.houzz.com and submit a request if you'd like to check on a review or if you need help with your profile. Please note you cannot write reviews for yourself. Hope that helps

Annie Santulli Designs

I have to say Houzz has been an amazing venue for my business. I do alot of magazine advertising...very high end....and nothing has gotten me this amount of business. I continue to advertise in magazines because I feel like it is more of a branding tool than bringing me jobs. It all goes hand in hand. But if you can't afford to advertise in magazines I truly believe concentrating on Houzz brings in an enormous amount of business. The key is constantly getting reviews, posting pictures and truly being interested in getting involved in conversations helping people with design dilemmas. .

Annie Santulli Designs

I guess I forgot to say that I think Houzz is an absolutely amazing website. My clients go on and create a scrapbook which I am able to then understand the look and feel there are trying to achieve. So it's not just necessarily getting business but also working closely with your client ant truly understanding what direction they are going.

The Kitchen Place

I've been a paying pro member since 2014. Many of my clients have found me on Houzz and it has definitely paid for itself. I would say that at any given time, I am working with at least one client that found me here. My first paid job came about 2 or 3 months after being on HOUZZ....and I am consistently getting leads and adding more projects and BETTER photos every month.

I agree with Annie Santulli, I use HOUZZ the same way she does. I ask my clients to collaborate with me on HOUZZ so I can see their inspiration. It helps me get a feel for their style. It is also a great branding tool...it keeps my name out there. I friend of mine said the other day, you must have one heck of a profile because you pop up every time I log in to my houzz profile. What's great about that, is this friend lives over an hour away from me and she is NOT in my paid ad territory. So, a totally organic search. I recently sign a client in her area. I am very happy with my decision to be on HOUZZ. But I think you must invest some time in to it. Find a great photographer that you can afford...or purchase a REALLY good camera! You can definitely tell which photos I took vs my awesome photographer. I am now committed to having one new job a month photographed for my site.

Murphy Moon Design

I signed up for Pro+ in April. I have a Level 4 profile, many lovely reviews, fantastic professional photographs, and NOT ONE INQUIRY. I've been on Houzz for a combined total of 4 years in both Los Angeles and Austin, and while our LA site received many inquiries and nice comments, it generated no business. I'm stumped.

Annie Santulli Designs

Murphy Moon....What page do you pop up under interior designers in your area?

Murphy Moon Design

First page, 16 down. Why?

Murphy Moon Design

Annie Santulli - love your work by the way!

The Kitchen Place

Murphy, when I typed in Austin, TX for interior designers in the find a pro, you came up 4th for me.

I think it's harder for larger cities with more competition for the market. I live in one of the biggest one hour markets in the USA but I don't live in a large city...meaning lots of people live within an hour of my store. I am lucky to have many cities and small towns very close to me. I don't have quite the competition that big cities have. I have about 4 other dealers that I run up against and the box stores. My store in more specific to kitchen remodeling...whereas interior designers are more broad/general. Have you considered renaming your biz...to something like Murphy Moon Kitchens and Room Design.

Have you talked with your Houzz rep about this? They can be a big help! Your pics are very nice....you should be doing well here at HOUZZ.

Annie Santulli Designs

Thanks.....I was just curious if you were on the first page and still not getting calls??

Purewal Contractors, Inc

Guys it all depends on the amount of competitors, amount of people and the market(city) for New York there is so many competitors plus so many people in the market so I don't really advertise on houzz and spend my valuble money else where such as PPC or SEO and Google,

P.S- do you like money than spend your money on google adwords, ppc,seo

Purewal Contractors Inc

The Kitchen Place

I did Google Adwords a long time ago (early 2000s) and it was successful. I was only spending $3-$10 a day (in my market) and getting good results. Not as good as HOUZZ but good. Then when we shut down for two weeks during the holidays, we got hit with a $1400 bill for December. Big mistake....my marketing consultant said to not use a max amount per day...it would boost our rankings. The huge jump in just one month seemed fishy to me but Adwords claimed all the clicks were legit. I suppose many people were off from work surfing the net. A very $ mistake on my part...make sure you have a daily max...or stay on top of it daily.

As it became more popular, Adwords rates increased, so I quit using it. I may have to check it out again. It's been a few years.

SEO is also very important, I agree with Purewal.

New Century Design Inc.

Houzz.com as a lead generator is not as great as I hoped but there are other benefits that I really like. Prior to HOUZZ.com I spent $12,000 in 5 years trying to create and keep relevant a website with some decent images. I don't have Wordpress skills so I was getting nickel and dimed to make changes to the site. With Houzz.com my site is easy to update by me or my assistant, it is helpful to send a link to any prospective client even after they call me off a sign or some other marketing. It helps grow my brand and give me some cache. My idea books help my clients know what I like and what I am describing to them, and their idea books help me know what they want. I spend a fraction as a pro on houzz.com compared to a good web designer. If I get one job a year it pays and so far 2 jobs in 18 months....

MICHAEL WHALEY INTERIORS, INC

So far all that I seem to attract is: "where can I get that on my own?" not, as they promise: "your work is amazing I'd like to hire you for my own house!"

RCKsinks Inc.

@ Michael Whaley- sometimes working with products that the homeowner CAN'T get cheaper helps in "capturing" the window shopper.

Callahan Landscape Contracting Inc.

I had a free profile up for over a year and never got anything out of it either. I had one comment on a picture and that was it. I just signed up for pro plus about a month ago and I have gotten 2 leads so far. The first one is design client who we will be working up a landscape design for ( and later on the installation) and the second is a simple lawn installation project. Have to see where the leads go but at least they are the type of projects we want to be working on, in the areas we service.

I still have a long way to go with improving my profile and getting it up to the level of other profiles I have viewed here. I have to work on getting better images and get more reviews. I'm hopeful that it will pay off but I have always been skeptical of advertising. Most of my good paying work comes from word of mouth, where the customer wants me for the job and is not just getting quotes from everyone in town. Time will tell I guess.