Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rterbeek

Please help with my kitchen, I'm in over my head...

rterbeek
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I have so many things going on here. First we sharted updating the kitchen this past summer w/phase 1 which was removing 2 old windows and 1 old french door (to nowhere, it was supposed have a deck that never happened) and replaced it w/ the 10' wall of windows that I painted black. We removed a fluorescent fixture & did the lighting feature & fixtures over the island and painted the walls. We weren't going to tackle painting all of the woodwork as it looked like a humgeous job. Flooring, counter tops, cupboards either painted or replaced were part of the next phase.
But I found laminate reclaimed wood look flooring that our budget would allow and that sparked a 'I can do this attitude (I'm 60 yrs old) to start painting all of the trim white. I would like my doors on the main floor to be black but now I'm second guessing that. My table is part of the country look I used to have but can't afford to replace it (I could the chairs) so I'm thinking of painting the base black and staining the top a dark walnut color.
Putting in the new floors has triggured the question of what to do with the carpeting that runs up and down two stairs (& a hallway upstairs that all have the same yellow paint color (BM Buena Vista Gold). It is a taupe color that matched my old colors and is 23 yrs. old. The living room joins my kitchen area and I've iincluded pictures of that.
I used to have a taupe area rug under the table also and can't decide what to put there w/ the new floor.I forgot to add that I purchased new stools and am contemplated painting the bench and curio cabinet w/ a black milk paint and recovering the seat. they're not sitting in their right spot because of all of the work going on.
This is my first time posting on here and I sure hope I haven't done irrepareable harm to my house. thanks so much ahead of time.

Comments (143)

• groveraxle
    9 years ago

OK, I ran out of RAM again after saving your first three swatches, but this should give you an idea of what these tones look like in your room. I used the top left, bottom left, and middle swatches (in that order).

• groveraxle
    9 years ago

And BM revere pewter:

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, Groveraxle, you are a hardworking contributor! I don't know what you read on the lake house but I just re read it and it said it''s BM baked cumin 1062. I already brought home the revere pewter & I don't like it Sam I am, i don't want it on my walls, I don't want it in my house, it surely reminds me of a mouse! I am putting up a pic of my LR w/ the cumin. Please don't judge the mess, everything's all out of place from working on the kitchen. I am going to wait to paint though until cabinets get painted.

• er612
    9 years ago

My vote is the top left sample.

• er612
    9 years ago

You mentioned getting new chairs. If you do, I would use the bench instead of chairs on one side and get second hand wood chairs or colored ones. BTW - I think your table is good as is. No need to paint.

• aliosh
    9 years ago

Baked Cumin is a lovely color and looks great in the Lake House picture below. However, I would suggest you take a closer look at the color scheme going on in that room. Compare those wood floors to your kitchen floor and you will notice that they are more "golden" in color than what you have. Also, notice how the room's wood pieces and the leather on the sofa all have warm golden tones to them as well. See how they are mixed with golden hues and varying degrees of brown? Baked Cumin appears to have a golden quality to it which is why it works so well in the Lake House room.

As much as you like Baked Cumin and the Lake House picture, your floor may dictate a different direction than Baked Cumin. So now the question is whether or not Baked Cumin will compliment your floors and cabinet color.

Firstly, it is important that the color TONES in your paint, cabinets, and wall color be similar and in the same color family. This will create the harmonious effect you are looking for and admiring in the Lake House picture. Right now your yellow wall color is very opposite of the colors in your floor which is creating an undesirable contrast for you. Contrast can be a good thing in some cases, but it doesn't sound like that is the look you'd like to end up with in your kitchen. The Lake House has a cohesive look because it features similar tones in everything but the rug and pillows. The rug and pillows are where they pulled in pops of color. So if you'd like to imitate what you see in the picture then you will need to look at the hues in your kitchen floor.

Paint can look very different in natural lighting during the day than it does in incandescent lighting at night. This is a phenomenon that most of us must live with. Still, judge your paint colors during the day in the room of choice with natural light shining on the item you are trying to pull colors from. In your case, make sure you see the paint color SOMEWHERE in your floor. It doesn't necessarily have to be the prominent color as long as it is somewhere in your floor.

I might be confused, but i thought you were planning on changing the color of your cabinets. According to your pictures (online photos can be misleading) it looks like your floor and present cabinet color do not share the same color tones. Whether you stain the cabinets in a color you find in the floor or brighten the kitchen cabinets with white or off white, just be sure to let the floor dictate your color choices. You can always bring in additional color with accessories, artwork, or fabric bar stool seats.

I'd be likely to keep the tin ceiling and lights as is, but only if you repeat the color in the bar stools and/or scattered elsewhere in the room. Otherwise, stainless steel tin and pendant lighting may be a consideration.

Remember, using and repeating the tones in your floor throughout your space, will help keep your kitchen from looking like there is a lot going on visually. In this way, you will create the harmonious, evenly toned room you see in the Lake House picture.

Rustic Living Room · More Info

• visualizemaven
    9 years ago

Hello all! I'm thinking everyone's input is fruitless at this point until we see what color the cabinets AND the countertop will be..........

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

countertop will be....Formica's Carrara Bionco.

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

leemiller; thank you so much for the advice to check out maria killans blog. I've just spent several hrs looking around, trying to "get it "concerning color choices". I haven't had a light bulb moment yet (maybe I'm kinda slow..) Anyway, she mentioned sw agreeable grey which I've looked up and I'm liking it. I can't believe it. But that's on a monitor, I'm willing to go get a sample. I might be putting a gal. of bm baked cumin (at 75%) up for sale....lol

• aliosh
    9 years ago

SW Agreeable Grey

Davis Residence · More Info

• spatialthinking
    9 years ago
    Great floors (the updated ones)!
    I think your instinct to go with a black island will change the way the tin ceilings look for the better. I think they will look a lot more in place when the black island balances them out. I really like the tin as is, mostly because the pendant lights have darker hardware.

Came across these paint recommendations for the countertop you've chosen...

http://letschipit.com/Chip/iWF1F7?crlt.pid=camp.SKRkniZJayTK

I personally like the medium tone warmer greys for your kitchen. The greys also make any color added to the room in terms of art or accents really "pop" so it's actually quite nice to have as a neutral wall color. Too bad about that yellow paint...

But you're well on your way to a knockout kitchen!
    rterbeek thanked spatialthinking
  • rterbeek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok...here's 2 coats of sw agreeable grey right on the wall w/ the only sample(s) of the Formica I have right now & cabinet & island color samples. I still don't like it. Do you all really think this is better? It seems so "cool" to me but maybe I need a knock in the head. Yikes, I'm getting desperate here. Cabinate painter is coming tomorrow...I feel like I'm right back @1st base & I thought I was rounding the corner for home plate.

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My comfort zone is to pick the 50/50 tan which has 3 coats of paint. Sorry for the sideways picture (again), I don't know how to turn it around.

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking around on here again; going to send hubby for a sample of bm monroe bisque. You just never know...

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow, what a journey. Rereading all of my questions, I first want to apologize for causing so much work for some of you. My husbands says that I need to check out. we're afraid that in a few yrs. I'll be sitting in my chair in a nursing home mumbling that I can't find the right color.... On a brighter note, the bar stools that I ordered & just came match my ceiling tiles to a t and are absolutely perfect. Big smiles here. Other than that, I'll be back when I have the big reveal (should be in 3-4 wks). Thanks so much to you all, Rachel.

• User
    9 years ago

Groveraxle used some amazing software for paintcolors. Does anyone know what software this is?

• groveraxle
    9 years ago

Yeah, groveraxle knows what software it is.

• groveraxle
    9 years ago

Oh, I guess you want the name of it? Photoshop Elements (Photoshop's skinnier, cheaper cousin.)

• User
    9 years ago

thank you!

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

rterbeek, I am not even sure you need to paint your cabinets anymore. that floor made all the difference.

• visualizemaven
    9 years ago

Hi Rachel - a few messages back you said you don't really like the agreeable gray. Listen to yourself - it is your home after all :) You said the cabinet painter was on his way - is the deed done? I'm thinking once the cabinets are painted, your island painted matte black and your Formica installed, you will be able to feel confident in choosing a color to paint your walls. Hang in there one step at a time.

rterbeek thanked visualizemaven
  • lynetteschurman
    9 years ago
    Love your pendant lights.
    rterbeek thanked lynetteschurman
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

i just want you to paint the trim around the tin the ceiling color.

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought I'd check in with you all who've helped me so much. I haven't posted pictures yet because the counter tops have been back ordered. But now finally, we have an install date of next wed. And then the backsplash can go on and we will be done. Cabinets are painted, walls repainted, some new furniture, can't wait to show everyone, it has turned out beautifully! I am leaving for a mini vacation to see my brother on the 27th and can hopefully post when I'm back.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

can't wait to see the final result. I am glad you are liking it so far. have fun with your brother

• leemiller
    9 years ago
    I'm looking forward to seeing pictures! We are having the floors refinished and then paint, backsplash & lights and we are done with our kitchen remodel. Color is very hard. We are probably using BM pale oak for our kitchen after several sample tries.
  • visualizemaven
    9 years ago

Awesome!!!! You did it!!!! Looking forward to seeing your beautiful new kitchen space - so happy that YOU are happy!

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Little setback (I guess they're expected). Counters came Tues. and the island piece had a flaw so back it goes and will now be back 5/4. And the purchased subway tiles just do not look good with the counter. Just found out I only had a window of 1 week to return them (which I missed) so on craigslist they go. Hopefully I'll find a buyer. New white ones have been ordered. . . good thing I'm tenacious...

• visualizemaven
    9 years ago

Tenacious and resilient. :)

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Almost ready (finally) to show you all some pictures. There've been more delays. New subways came in with the wrong finish. Family parties, our son, the installer has had other projects jump ahead of ours (waiting for another order of subways), family problems..... But, I think we're now in the clear (hopefully). Just need some caulking, cleaning up and presto I'll post them. So, anyone looking at remodeling, just remember my trip has taken 6 months, but I bet there's people out there that can beat me on that one. :-)

• rksjmartin
    8 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

TaaDaa, finally done.

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you to all who took your time to offer encouragement & advice; I couldn't have kept on without you guys. :-)

• PRO
    Drawer Essentials
    8 years ago

Look great!

rterbeek thanked Drawer Essentials
  • Lila
    8 years ago

Well you have to be happy with that result! Worth all the agonizing.

rterbeek thanked Lila
  • sammyk1ns
    8 years ago

Looks gorgeous - now enjoy your lovely place.

rterbeek thanked sammyk1ns
  • columbia93
    8 years ago

I've just discovered this thread....Those tin tiles look gorgeous. I see they were originally there but they looked like cheap c***. It is amazing how even something so awful can take on a glamorous look in the right setting!

• hollymuetze
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Great job. I'm looking through previous messages to find out what the counter top is/ what colour... Could you please post? Cheers to all of the teamwork. (Now if only someone would response to my dilemma :)

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Holly, the countertop is Formica in the Cararra pattern.

• knicetime
    8 years ago
    Just read this entire thread. What a beautiful transformation. You must be so happy and proud. Hooray!
    rterbeek thanked knicetime
  • bbkieffer
    8 years ago

I think it's a great transformation. May I make one suggestion though? Since the trim around the ceiling tiles/lights and the trim on the window are dark, I think it would really complement the trim if you changed your cabinet hardware to something bronze or black.

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bbkieffer that's a great idea. I'll have to save up, the budget's shot....

• columbia93
    8 years ago

Since the hardware matches the SS fridge, etc., changing it isn't that necessary. If you do want to go darker, you can buy spray paint that is oiled bronze and give your handles a shpritz for about $5. I'd try it out on a spare of something first but MUCH cheaper option! I used it to update a floor lamp I'd had for quite some time and it looks really gorgeous and on trend!

rterbeek thanked columbia93
  • mtnmom9
    8 years ago

Wow your kitchen is stunning!!! Im considering some of your design ideas for my own dark kitchen. Your countertops are beautiful....are you happy with the laminate, or do you still wish for granite/quartz? Any regrets painting your oak cabinets white?

rterbeek thanked mtnmom9
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Stunning!

rterbeek thanked Susan Davis
  • rterbeek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wysel: no regrets at all with any of it (especially the price & ease of care).

One other note: I had the cabinets sprayed and after the fact found out that oak is very hard to cover by spraying so I had to recoat (by hand) them one more time to cover them to my satisfaction.

And they are so much easier to keep clean as anything that gets on them is easy to see and wipes right off.

• visualizemaven
    8 years ago

You did it!!!!! You were so overwhelmed at the start and to have such a beautiful result must be very satisfying - so happy for you and your family! Enjoy.

PS - I agree dark knobs/hardware will tie everything together and make the kitchen pop even more!

• suezbell
    8 years ago

I like your kitchen as is except... have you considered wall paper for the space above your cabinets from cabinet top to ceiling in lieu of painted surface?

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

suezbell, that is a bad word in my house having just removed old wall.......never again. I am done and glad to be! Might consider painting hardware sometime but not now, summer & relaxing is on my agenda.

• rterbeek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

New copper & teal (clock over sink) accessories. I thought the canisters tied in the tin ceiling. I am so enjoying my new work space. Thanks guys